Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Evis posted:

Can Toronto form their own province?

Seems like we could but it would require changing the constitution, which would require the approval of at least most of the provinces. I don't think most of the provinces would agree. I also don't think Ontario would even allow a referendum to be held. The city could try, but the province would outlaw it, and then we could ignore them and try to run it anyway, but that would require people willing to go to jail over it and it feels like we're not there yet.

But fighting for it and making it a real threat could give us some leverage to help us get the reforms we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Goading the province into dissolving the City of Toronto would certainly be something. I'm willing to bet they're dumb enough to try it too.

What I really want to know is how long the rest of the province will put up with this Premier Mayor of Toronto bullshit before they remember that the whole reason they hate Toronto to begin with is because we suck all the air out of provincial politics.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
In case you thought the idiotic escalations were over:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-premier-ford-toronto-fight-leaves-council-in-confusion-ahead-of/

The Globe and Mail posted:

Lawyers for the City of Toronto are delving into uncharted legal waters for ways to challenge Ontario Premier Doug Ford's plan to use the Constitution's notwithstanding clause to cut city council almost in half with six weeks to go before a municipal election.

Council will meet in a special session on Thursday to discuss what legal avenues, if any, the city has to challenge the provincial government. Mayor John Tory, who met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Monday evening to discuss the matter, acknowledges any legal battle against the notwithstanding clause would be steeply uphill, but says city lawyers have been told to look at all possibilities.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Toronto forming their own province would be a clusterfuck. It's way too integrated into the rest of the golden horseshoe, and lol if you think that the Ontario government is going to be cool with everywhere between Niagara and Oshawa seceding.

Honestly if we were going for extreme measures, I would almost say the sanest (although it's still never going to happen) is for the Lieutenant Governor to tell Ford to cool his jets and hold off on Royal assent until after the Toronto elections. That would be a loving mess though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I cannot for the life of me see how this election is going to work (it won't) in the time-frame we have, with these appeals ongoing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helsing posted:

You're also overlooking the fact that sometimes a dramatic defeat is better than an outright surrender. A good leader doesn't always win but when they lose they lose in the right way, and that requires actually fighting sometimes not just being hyper cautious and reasonable.

I think I'm broadly in agreement with you here about the larger point. Do you have an example of such a beneficial failure?

Comedy option: the Harper government gave the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship the power to instantly grant Canadian citizenship to any individual, without limit. You want a constitutional crisis? Why not an international one, too? I want Ahmed Hussen, the current holder of the office and this power, to unilaterally grant Canadian citizenship to a large group of refugees - Syrian, Rohingya, Malian, take your pick - who are not yet in Canada. Then Canada would be forced to intervene in Turkey or Bangladesh or Libya to protect Canadian citizens.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Interesting bit from this which I feel like probably doesn't apply but I Want To Believe

quote:

Legal experts say lawyers for the city and the candidates could revive their arguments from their court challenge of the legislation that Mr. Ford’s bill violated “unwritten constitutional principles” of democracy and rule of law. They could also try a rarely attempted legal argument based on a 1988 Supreme Court of Canada case on Quebec’s use of the clause. In that case, the court deemed that the notwithstanding clause cannot be used retroactively to erase a past breach of the Charter.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

ChickenWing posted:

Interesting bit from this which I feel like probably doesn't apply but I Want To Believe

I'm struggling to see how it's retroactive though. The elections haven't happened yet. The charter hasn't been breached because the law was struck down and technically speaking, the Toronto election is back to 47 seats.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

enki42 posted:

I'm struggling to see how it's retroactive though. The elections haven't happened yet. The charter hasn't been breached because the law was struck down and technically speaking, the Toronto election is back to 47 seats.

I mean I know as close to 0 as is possible while still reading this thread about it, but based on my layman understanding it would seem like Bill 5 being passed was itself the breach of the charter. The law came into effect (causing the breach), and then was struck down by the judge - so the breach happened, and was rectified. The decision in question sounds like it's saying "If you're going to breach the charter, you have to have full knowledge of it when doing so - you're not allowed to get rejected and try again" (which honestly makes a lot of sense imo)

e: clarity

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Helsing posted:

I think it's pretty clear by now that a significant part of what we think of as "progressives" - both the voters and the politicos - are convinced, deep down, that the general population is fundamentally conservative and that the only role progressive politics can play is a long series of defensive actions in which you must live in constant fear that you'll give the conservatives an "excuse" to do even more terrible stuff. The result is a political dynamic where liberals are afraid of their own shadows while conservatives just plunge on ahead with whatever constitution bending policies they want.

I would think after Mike Harris and Stephen Harper (let alone Trump and Ford) the idea that we must respect constitutional norms or else the Conservatives might break those norms would be thoroughly discredited. But now I'm starting to think this belief is more of a psychological tick than an actual ideological position. Progressives feel helpless and project that helplessness onto all of politics, resulting in an ideology that pretty much just functions as an ongoing excuse for constant failure and retreat.

I don't agree with your reasoning here. One of the major functions of constitutional rights is to defend minorities from the whims of the majority. Conservatives are often in the business of assailing minorities while progressives are usually defending them. It's fairly natural then for conservatives to want to undermine the systems which protect minority rights, and equally natural for progressives to want to maintain and expand those systems.

Our response should not be to toss out constitutional norms, but to strengthen them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ExecuDork posted:

I think I'm broadly in agreement with you here about the larger point. Do you have an example of such a beneficial failure?

Comedy option: the Harper government gave the Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship the power to instantly grant Canadian citizenship to any individual, without limit. You want a constitutional crisis? Why not an international one, too? I want Ahmed Hussen, the current holder of the office and this power, to unilaterally grant Canadian citizenship to a large group of refugees - Syrian, Rohingya, Malian, take your pick - who are not yet in Canada. Then Canada would be forced to intervene in Turkey or Bangladesh or Libya to protect Canadian citizens.

I think a recent example of a "good" political defeat would be the campaign in Argentina to legalize abortion. There have been mass mobilizations by women and activists, taking to the streets and demanding the legalization of abortion. However, the Catholic church mobilized in a major way to block the bill that would legalize abortion and ultimately the bill was defeated by a narrow vote in the Argentinian senate.

However, just about everyone understands that the protesters have won the argument and have mobilized enough people to almost guarantee the abortion law will be changed. They suffered a temporary setback but the coalition remains unified and energetic and feels a strong sense of momentum:

The Guardian posted:

“Things will never be the same, because society has been changed by these five months of debating the law,” said the journalist Soledad Vallejos, a member of the #NiUnaMenos collective that began amid protests against gender violence and became a major force behind the proposed law.

“We won,” wrote the journalist and activist Mariana Carbajal, in an article in Página/12. “We won because arguments based on religious beliefs showed how deceitful they are.”

Now for an example of losing badly. Actually lets just use the Obama administration because it has dozens of examples.

Here's a blog post from way back in 2010 analyzing Obama's first two years in office. I think it makes the point in a succint and convincing fashion. Also as you read this try to reflect on the stuff regarding immigration and national security in light of how the 2016 election went:

Rortybomb posted:

A few weeks ago Jonathan Bernstein asked liberals “As the 111th Congress winds down, what’s your biggest disappointment of the things you expected to happen?”

Bad at Losing

I expected Obama to be a better loser, specifically to be better at losing. There were a lot of items on the table, a lot of them weren’t going to happen, but it was important for the new future of liberalism that the Obama team lost them well. And that hasn’t happened.

By losing well, I mean losing in a way that builds a coalition, demonstrates to your allies that you are serious, takes a pound of flesh from your opponents and leaves them with the blame, and convinces those on the fence that it is an important issue for which you have the answers. Lose for the long run; lose in a way that leaves liberal institutions and infrastructure stronger, able to be deployed again at a later date.

Let’s take an example of a lose: immigration. The assimilation of Hispanics into a central part of the United States is a long-term project, one that will go on beyond this Congress and any bill it may have passed. Securing Hispanic votes is central to any theory of an emerging Democratic majority. And it was going to be possible that any bill wouldn’t pass, given how difficult immigration bills were to move in the Bush years.

So this should have been something that was lost well. Here’s my major memory of the Obama administration on immigration:

Whenever Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-Ill.) and other immigrant-rights advocates asked President Obama how a Democratic administration could preside over the greatest number of deportations in any two-year period in the nation’s history, Obama’s answer was always the same.

Deporting almost 800,000 illegal immigrants might antagonize some Democrats and Latino voters, Obama’s skeptical supporters said the president told them, but stepped-up enforcement was the only way to buy credibility with Republicans and generate bipartisan support for an overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws.

On Saturday, that strategy was in ruins after Senate Democrats could muster only 55 votes in support of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act…

This is losing poorly. It makes major concessions without getting anything in return, conceding both pieces of flesh and the larger narrative to the other side. This unnecessarily splits those who support the Democrats on whether or not to support these actions. It doesn’t name the opponents of the effort to figure out ways of deploying pressure to change things. Without an obvious fight it’s not signaled that it was a priority. And the ultimate problem is that it doesn’t leave the coalition in better shape for the next battle.

This is true of many issues, ranging from unions fighting for the ability to unionize easier to the technology groups fighting for Net Neutrality. Why should these groups be happier with the past two years, even if they thought on day one that they wouldn’t win anything? How are either stronger for the next battle?

Candidate Obama’s chief blogger, Sam Graham-Felsen, recently asked Why is Obama leaving the grass roots on the sidelines? by not engaging those on the unprecedented email list Obama was able to create. I’d go further and ask where are the newer and/or stronger liberal groups that have emerged in the past two years? So many seem demoralized and confused and few new ones seem to exist at all, which is disturbing given the volume of people Democrats had in Congress going into this session.

This is a problem regardless of whether or not you think Obama is a progressive boxed in by failed institutions, a centrist Democratic in awe of Rubinomics who accidently stumbled into the largest downturn since the Great Depression, or a political neophyte who never fought a battle and, as an old-school liberal told Bill Greider “”was rolled by the bankers, then he was rolled by the generals, then he was rolled by the Blue Dogs and other Democrats who had no interest in going along with what he proposed.” Regardless of where the Democrats want to go they need people and institutions to help them get there, and it’s not clear that we are any closer to getting those in place.

In my book, this matters. As Ziad Munson’s ethnography of the Pro-Life movement argued “mobilization occurs when people are drawn into activism through organizational and relational ties, not when they form strong beliefs about abortion.” People aren’t simply acting out unconscious political codes and rules like a processor, and people aren’t simply rational consumers maximizing a matrix of orthogonal political preferences by choosing among competing parties. Politics is a process, and a person’s political habitus is created by engagement in institutions based on their views that in turn change those views and push on the institutions themselves. If we want a dominate liberalism, institutions to engage people need to be grown and nurtured.

The Other Surprise Disappointments

As for specific issues: In 100 years the thing that will matter the most is our failure to get started on combating global warming and carbon in the atmosphere. Oceans will acidify, the Earth will heat, hopefully it won’t become a cascading process that feeds itself, and by that time change will be much harder. Ryan Lizza’s New Yorker piece on the bill failing in the Senate is excellent at showing why it’s difficult to get a 60th vote, as well as the executive branch stumbling over any hopes of this bill in some major ways (giving away off-shoring drilling, which Senators were hoping to trade for votes, for instance). Like immigration, the plan seemed to be “hoping Lindsey Graham is a decent guy” rather than planning out for the next decade of what will need to be done.

My biggest disappointment was the continuation of the Bush-era policies regarding the Unitary Executive, expanded powers regarding detention and other civil libertarian issues. I look at it from the point of view of people working on the front lines and in the middle offices. You can have good or bad people, conscientious versus authoritarian people, but they largely work within a framework they inherit. If the framework and institutions are corrupt, then the final practices they produce will be as well.

Imagine a military analyst who joins in 2001 at age 25, perhaps in response to 9/11. If Obama goes a second-term, that analyst will be around 41 when the next President comes, and our current policies of black sites, wiretapping, etc. will just be “the way things are.” We’ll have a generation of military and information bureaucrats that has entered into that atmosphere that won’t know anything different and that will then continue to perpetrate that apparatus, regardless of who is in charge. This worries me more than any specific transgression (though the specific ones do worry me). Hence why a cleansing of policies was necessary, and we didn’t get it.

Here's a follow up the next year looking at the budget:

quote:

Obama is Bad at Losing, Budget Edition

Posted on April 11, 2011 by Mike

At the end of last year I wrote a post about how President Obama is bad at losing. I like that conceptual model because the idea that President Obama is bad at losing – that he loses in a way that conflicts his base, concedes too much to his opponents and doesn’t leave liberalism in a better position to fight next round – is robust to many different ideas about the current state of the Democratic Party. Regardless of whether or not you think President Obama is a progressive surrounded by failing institutions, a Rubinite centrist who puts on a good show, a political neophyte who is perpetually getting rolled by his adversaries or someone who hates fighting and prefers either floating above the fray or getting the half-a-loaf quickly, the way he is losing his battles should worry you about the longer-term project of liberalism and the Democratic Party.

The idea that Obama is terrible at losing jumped back at me now that we’ve gotten to another loss. The budget deal was a huge win for Speaker Boehner. Let’s chat the proposals that had been offered:

(Source: Ettlinger, Linden, Center for American Progress)

As many have pointed out, the entire battle has taken place on Boehner’s terms. Not just in terms of numbers, where the battle was between the Republican leadership’s numbers and the Tea Party’s numbers, but in the whole idea of government. Obama’s recent actions, from securing extension of the tax cuts to freezing Federal pay to now celebrating the cutting from discretionary spending, only finds a cohesive unity from the perspective of conservative governance. From visiting Roosevelt Institute fellow Corey Robin’s Reclaiming the Politics of Freedom, on the similar battle on the budget last fall:

quote:

When right-wing ideas dominate, we get right-wing policies. After the midterm elections in November, it seemed the most natural thing in the world—to the right, the media, Obama and parts of the Democratic Party—to freeze the pay of federal workers and extend the Bush tax cuts for two years. Incoherent as policy—the first presumes that the deficit is the greatest threat to the economy; the second, the lack of consumer spending—it makes sense as ideology. The best (and only) thing the government can do for you and the economy is to get out of your way.

And Obama takes a loss and declares victory. As Ed from ginandtacos points out, Obama’s language of “Like any worthwhile compromise, both sides had to make tough decisions and give ground on issues that were important to them. And I certainly did that” manages to be vacuous, appeasing no one on either side while continuing to celebrate compromise as an ends instead of a means. Ezra Klein noted that by “celebrating spending cuts, they’ve opened the door to further austerity measures at a moment when the recovery remains fragile. Claiming political victory now opens the door to further policy defeats later,” which is absolutely correct. By ending this battle on these terms he now has to enter the next battle on these terms as well.

The problems keep coming. This narrative concedes the idea that the government has become a power-hungry Leviathan since the financial markets crash of 2008, when instead the true story is one of automatic stabilizers like unemployment insurance kicking in while tax revenues plummeted. Governments run deficits in recessions. That’s what they are supposed to do. We passed a stimulus that was mostly tax cuts and stabilizing the collapsing state budgets. This life support function of the government in bad economic times is crucial and something worth celebrating, and this move signals we are further along in the recovery and have more pressure on our borrowing costs than any numbers would support.

Personally I’m more interested in the bidding on cuts without any public understanding of where these cuts are going to come from. I’m under the impression that many Democrats don’t know where they are going to come from either yet. Why weren’t the topic of the cuts discussed, if not leaked? The justification from places like Democratic Leader Jim Clyburn, who told Dylan Ratigan “If Boehner starts identifying cuts, special interest will rev up. I think he’s right not to identify these cuts,” is a bad one, because it undercuts both the absurdity of these cuts at this time, helps perpetuate a false distinction between “social issues” and fiscal policy and removes the actual groups impacted from the Democratic process. Instead of the government doing necessary things spending here is just dolloping out favors to special interest groups.

Things like the funding of the Special Olympics were on the chopping block. The moment the cuts are named one can create a narrative surrounding (a) the absurdity that slashing the Special Olympics will fix the budget, (b) that these are debates surrounding the appropriateness of each program rather than displaying seriousness by taking out special interest groups and (c) puts groups into motion defending programs. Planned Parenthood helped fight off an attack through a rider because it was able to mobilize, but it mobilized because it knew it was at risk. Planned Parenthood knows that there’s no real difference between so-called social issues and fiscal policy, and so does the Right.

But yes, Obama has declared victory. A few more victories like this and we are big trouble.

That last line is almost prophetic in light of how the Obama administration's failures set us up for the current Trump administration.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

I don't agree with your reasoning here. One of the major functions of constitutional rights is to defend minorities from the whims of the majority. Conservatives are often in the business of assailing minorities while progressives are usually defending them. It's fairly natural then for conservatives to want to undermine the systems which protect minority rights, and equally natural for progressives to want to maintain and expand those systems.

You're only describing one part of the constitution, and the protections is offers are woefully inadequate. When's the last time you were behind the scenes at a minimum wage workplace like a warehouse or kitchen? Do you know anyone trying to get their life started in a big city without having a salaried job? Have you ever gone to a community meetings in a low income neighborhood where the residents are upset about their terribly maintained apartment stock yet fear that any improvements will price them out of the area? Or when you look at the economy - the balance between the FIRE sector and the rest, the trend for wages and benefits, or the fact we're still almost exclusively building auto-dependent suburbs when it's obvious the era of cheap energy and cars and ending - do you think the constitution is protecting people from the future crashing down on them? And when you look around the rest of the world and realize Trudeau is practically the last prominent liberal left, and when you see what is waiting in the wings to replace liberalism... do you really feel protected? Liberal policies have stripped the economy, failed to address climate change or inequality, and create the social conditions that populist conservatives then use to gain power.

Do we really have to do what the Americans have done and wait until the authoritarian xenophobes are literally in power before we even dare to reassess whether our smug brand of liberalism has run out of steam? Contemporary liberalism was given its bite at the apple following the 2008 crash. Prominent liberal leaders were in power around the world, often with legislative majorities and favorable courts, and just about everywhere they've overseen more unpopular trade deals, more austerity or austerity-lite governance, and again and again they keep getting beaten by populist right-wingers who take advantage of the fact not many people actually likes or trusts liberals after seeing how they ran the world. Mainstream liberal and social democratic political parties are now mostly in electoral free fall.

So what are we clinging to here?

quote:

Our response should not be to toss out constitutional norms, but to strengthen them.

How?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Helsing posted:

Now for an example of losing badly. Actually lets just use the Obama administration because it has dozens of examples.

The easy read for the Obama being bad at losing is that he wasn't really all that interested in strongly progressive causes in the first place. He's pretty solidly part of the neoliberal wing of the party who just happens to be charismatic and able to inspire people around vague notions of progressivism without getting into a lot of details.

Trudeau is pretty similar. He's someone that it's easy to project the idea of progressivism onto, and while he's by no means a conservative and probably is good on balance on most social issues, he's hardly a radical and things like failing to take a hard line on Ford is less about meekness and more about Liberals and the neoliberal wing of the Democrats being more or less fine with the status quo.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Edit: this is in response to Helsing

Your argument seems to be that the system of constitutional rights doesn't protect those who are economically disadvantaged, which is a fair criticism. But you haven't explained at all how abandoning it helps, which is kinda important here. And is it worth the trade-off given there are other groups who's rights it protects?

How to expand the system is a more complex topic than I'm willing to get into here. But the point I wanted to make is that progessives defending our system of rights while conservatives seek to undermine it isn't a symptom of a "defeatist attitude," it's a natural result of the priorities inherent in those political positions.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

At the end of the day, the problem is precisely that Doug Ford isn't respecting the idea of good government or the reasons that the Charter is in place. No one gives enough of a poo poo about the number of seats in Toronto to make this big a fuss. If the specific problem is abusing the constitution, instead of abusing the constitution being a means to some other horrible end, then responding by abusing the constitution worse is nonsensical.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

enki42 posted:

At the end of the day, the problem is precisely that Doug Ford isn't respecting the idea of good government or the reasons that the Charter is in place. No one gives enough of a poo poo about the number of seats in Toronto to make this big a fuss. If the specific problem is abusing the constitution, instead of abusing the constitution being a means to some other horrible end, then responding by abusing the constitution worse is nonsensical.

I just don't understand how it's an abuse of the constitution to protect and entrench democratic rights and processes at the municipal level. Not loving with ongoing elections is something that at the very least should be part of our unwritten constitution. By acting to protect democratic processes, the norms are strengthened, not abandoned.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Just in case anyone was wondering how a white nationalist like Faith Goldy would end up being legitimized as a candidate and given a televised platform, it's like this:

https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1039909927513407488

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Health Services posted:

I just don't understand how it's an abuse of the constitution to protect and entrench democratic rights and processes at the municipal level. Not loving with ongoing elections is something that at the very least should be part of our unwritten constitution. By acting to protect democratic processes, the norms are strengthened, not abandoned.

Yes, given that Doug Ford has already announced that he plans to continue using the notwithstanding clause to ram in charter-violating legislation, now would probably be the best time to step in and declare this behaviour unacceptable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How indeed. Helsing do you have any suggestions on how we can fight back against conservatism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doug Ford slip of the day:
https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1039895000790822918

I know it's early yet, but we're off to a good start

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
I don't think Trudeau will do anything to remind people that he's not really a credible defender of better democratic representation.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

infernal machines posted:

Doug Ford slip of the day:
https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1039895000790822918

I know it's early yet, but we're off to a good start

same thread:

https://twitter.com/DavidHains/status/1039898830307827715

:iceburn:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Edit: this is in response to Helsing

Your argument seems to be that the system of constitutional rights doesn't protect those who are economically disadvantaged, which is a fair criticism. But you haven't explained at all how abandoning it helps, which is kinda important here. And is it worth the trade-off given there are other groups who's rights it protects?

How to expand the system is a more complex topic than I'm willing to get into here. But the point I wanted to make is that progessives defending our system of rights while conservatives seek to undermine it isn't a symptom of a "defeatist attitude," it's a natural result of the priorities inherent in those political positions.

(Necessary preface: what I'm describing is kind of fantastical right now because the left is so far from power, but what's written below would be the mindset I'd want to see in a contemporary leader of the NDP, this is what I want to believe the NDP would do if if they had the power)

Politics is about coalition building, not convincing swing voters. Whenever a progressive government gets into power their top priority should be using every available law and tax measure to eradicate Conservative think tanks and bankrupt conservative industries. Treat any conservative institutions with exactly the same degree of legitimacy that conservatives give to unions. Literally treat the infrastructure of movement conservatism as a cancerous spot that needs to be removed for the good of the body politic. Meanwhile, simultaneously be using every generous handout and trick available to create new left wing institutions, be they unions or think tanks or charities or what have you.

That's what it needs to be at this point. War to the death against the institutional basis of conservatism. And that would obviously violate democratic and constitutional norms. Basically the left needs to start viewing the contemporary right not as respectable opponents with different ideas but as an existential threat. They need to be willing to deploy any available institutional weapons.

Unfortunately to get anywhere close to do that we'll first need a workable vehicle for some kind of muscular leftism, which means priority one is removing the Horwath and Singh and Mulcair and (yes, that's right) Layton type politicians who are never going to see things this way. So for starters maybe we could actually try to find somebody like Jeremy Corbyn who actually wants to fundamentally change the system instead of just manage it better. And I'm not sure where that Corbyn style politician is in Canada right now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How indeed. Helsing do you have any suggestions on how we can fight back against conservatism.

Things seem pretty bleak right now but building on what I said above, I think the first thing that needs to change is our mindset. Politics is not a matter of cleaving to the centre to convince swing voters. It's about building a well organized political machine and then using every available resource to destroy the other people's political machines.

Right now I think that means abandoning expensive outreach to suburban swing voters and investing party resources into really strong grassroots organizing, with an eye to a long term (i.e. over several election cycles) plan to recruit currently non-voting people to the NDP cause. To do that the NDP needs to be consistent and focused on the real struggles of poor people's lives: precarious employment, expensive and lovely apartment stock, insanely high rents, crappy transit, etc. Ideally try have community activist organizations that are organized parallel to the party and which prioritize people's daily struggles in-between elections. Make the NDP (or the leftist party that replaces it) the political arm of a larger social movement targeting inequality and corruption in government.

My thinking here is informed by authors like Ziad W. Munson, Thomas Ferguson and Christopher Achen and Larry Bartels, all of whom emphasize in different ways the key role of organizations in shaping both activism and politics. We need to move away from the focus on winning swing votes and invest our resources more heavily in slowly building and expanding a durable coalition of voters. Probably that means abandoning any short term hope of winning government and focusing more on winning enough representation to exact concessions from whoever does win.

If it comes down to it, better to let the NDP be a permanent minority party from which the Liberals have to steal ideas to govern, if the alternative is a centrist NDP that occasionally wins elections and then governs as the slightly less corrupt Liberal party, which is all that provincial NDP governments have managed to accomplish and what the current federal NDP wants.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The thing about the death of left wing politics in the west has a lot to do with the fact that it's basically become at_least_im_not_racist.png except the leftist saying it is actually the guy holding the knife.

The left needs to be rebuilt from the ground up if it's going to be anything but the less offensive, slightly softer, somewhat more agreeable boot stamping on a human face forever, which is what it has become today.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s a wonderful though, but money and power is inevitably on one side of the equation. Don’t get into a knife fight if you don’t have a knife. The left needs a knife.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Jordan7hm posted:

That’s a wonderful though, but money and power is inevitably on one side of the equation. Don’t get into a knife fight if you don’t have a knife. The left needs a knife.

I like how the saying "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" had to be modified for this because the left banned guns from idioms.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Guns trigger me

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The thing about the death of left wing politics in the west has a lot to do with the fact that it's basically become at_least_im_not_racist.png except the leftist saying it is actually the guy holding the knife.

The left needs to be rebuilt from the ground up if it's going to be anything but the less offensive, slightly softer, somewhat more agreeable boot stamping on a human face forever, which is what it has become today.

This is a strange analogy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Welp.

Now they're booting NDP MPPs out of the legislature. Ostensibly for disrupting the proceedings.

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1039959270664667138

Good show, guys.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Maybe we should open a dialogue with the Ontario PC Party and ask them why the noise of people hitting their desk hurt their feelings?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

What a goddamn garbage fire.

I kind of wish I lived in a more conservative riding so I had a local MPP I could angrily vent at and vote against.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

“'Making the Charter a central part of our Constitution, Canada’s basic law, was a deliberate and focused decision by the prime minister and premiers,' Ontario’s 18th premier explained over the phone yesterday.

“'The sole purpose of the notwithstanding clause was only for those exceptionally rare circumstances when a province wanted to bring in a specific benefit or program provision for a part of their population — people of a certain age, for example — that might have seemed discriminatory under the Charter.'

“'The notwithstanding provision has, understandably, rarely been used, because of the primacy of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms for all Canadians. That it might now be used regularly to assert the dominance of any government or elected politician over the rule of law or the legitimate jurisdiction of our courts of law was never anticipated or agreed to.'”

well jfc Bill Davis if that's what the notwithstanding clause was for then why didn't you write that into the document ffs

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I feel like the authors of these documents should have taken in the contingency of "what if the public elects a complete loving moron?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I know we're not big on constitutional amendments like the US is but maybe we should amend it to strike the Notwithstanding Clause. These rights don't really mean anything when a drugdealer with a petty agenda gets elected and decides to say "actually you don't have these rights"

I know :decorum: is kind of a meme but our system will not survive now that people have realized that :decorum:/norms/"rule of law" is not legally binding and that they can go and do whatever they want

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Doug Ford is basically Cartman

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The problem with amending the Canadian Constitution is it requires the amendments require 7 out of 10 provinces approval representing 50% of the population so if you open up to the NWC being removed everyone is going to want their own poo poo put in there or else it will never pass.

Also Ontario is like 38% of the population right now and they definitely would not pass a change to the NWC, so if you couldn't get it to pass in Quebec, BC or even Alberta you are also hosed.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It's not something you can just go and do (and this is a good thing that you can't change it willy-nilly) but it's a discussion that I think should be opened up now that people have had a while to see that the Charter isn't so bad after all.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

I know we're not big on constitutional amendments like the US is but maybe we should amend it to strike the Notwithstanding Clause. These rights don't really mean anything when a drugdealer with a petty agenda gets elected and decides to say "actually you don't have these rights"

I know :decorum: is kind of a meme but our system will not survive now that people have realized that :decorum:/norms/"rule of law" is not legally binding and that they can go and do whatever they want

If we are going to set hyper ambitious goals why not focus on stuff that will directly help people?

This is a good example of why the Charter isnt so great. It is inherently depoliticizing. It farms out any significant social question to lawyers and judges. But the law can't address the fundamental power imbalances that structure our political economy.

If a government actually had the political support and will to power required to change the constitution I would be pushed off to see it wasted on such a minor reform.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Lawyers and judges following the constitution haven't done too bad of a job but it would obviously better if access to food, clean water, shelter, etc. were enshrined as guaranteed rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

apatheticman posted:

I feel like the authors of these documents should have taken in the contingency of "what if the public elects a complete loving moron?"

Theoretically, isn't that what the Lieutenant-Governor is for?