Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Three pages into a BotL-driven derail, I'd like to remind you that all you've gotten and all you're going to get are quiet omissions and moved goalposts. How dare you not realise that all MCU movies are literally indistinguishable and Iron Man is literally Guardians of the Galaxy in every single way.

Good posters don't reply to BotL, good posters don't participate in BotL derails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Marvel movies do not warrant this level of discussion

It's a shame what's being done to Star Trek though

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Desperado Bones posted:

This. Disney knew since he was hired, people on twitter actually called him out on his tweets years ago, he later apologized. He apologized again in interviews. And again when this poo poo show was brought on him, and again and again and again...and I'm sure he keeps apologizing to this day. The thing is that he wasn't back paddling like many other shitlords do. He acknowledged he was an rear end, the severity of his tweets and actually tried to do something about it.

Saying you've changed doesn't actually mean you've changed. Gunn apologized for edgy tweets, and then made slanderous tweets, which is what led to him being targeted.

e:

Plastik posted:

Three pages into a BotL-driven derail, I'd like to remind you that all you've gotten and all you're going to get are quiet omissions and moved goalposts. How dare you not realise that all MCU movies are literally indistinguishable and Iron Man is literally Guardians of the Galaxy in every single way.

No one is arguing those movies are identical. It's merely being noted that Gunn didn't do anything new and is probably just as replaceable as any other MCU director.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 12, 2018

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Saying you've changed doesn't actually mean you've changed. Gunn apologized for edgy tweets, and then made slanderous tweets, which is what led to him being targeted.

...is BotL a Trump supporter and/or centrist? Because wow.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Plastik posted:

Good posters don't reply to BotL, good posters don't participate in BotL derails.

Then just report them and leave the thread, this posting about posters poo poo is far more insufferable than anything BotL or SMG or anyone else in CineD could ever post.

This is also ignoring the actually-interesting discussion that BotL has raised, which is the absurdity of the GotG movies’ reputation for being “sentimental” when they’re just as crude as Gunn’s older works and are about a group of fundamentally immoral people.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Slanderous against who? Because if you think that being mean to the president is reason enough to fired, then:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have Blu-rays for all of the MCU movies because of course I do.

I normally watch the movie once and then watch all the special features and then shelve it. I have plenty of other things to watch.

The modern comic book genre movies I have watched more than once on Blu-ray are:
  • Captain America
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Thor: Ragnorak
  • Black Panther
  • Wonder Woman

That's it. Those are the only ones that stood above just being "entertainment" (WW's 3rd act not-withstanding).

You can call Ant-man an Heist Movie or Winter Soldier a Cold War Thriller and they are and that makes them interesting and good. But it doesn't mean that pulled me in like those movies in my list above. Each one was a breath of fresh air when it was released. Each one proved a point that nobody else was bothering to prove.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Slanderous against who? Because if you think that being mean to the president is reason enough to fired, then:

It's the same problem as with the Gotg movies: they're nominally about amoral killers redeeming themselves, but they don't actually change, they're still amoral killers but now they make speeches about caring and family.

Likewise, Gunn nominally moved past his edgy tweets, but in reality he just changed to more generally acceptable topics (like an unpopular politician).

Thus the argument that he changed and didn't deserve to get fired doesn't really hold water.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

King Vidiot posted:

Wow, that actually pisses me off more than anything. That was one of the only good rides at Disney World.

Only the California Adventure one got changed, the OG Tower at the Studios is gonna live forever. The Guardians ride in Disney World (the only Marvel property that will have a ride in Orlando thanks to Marvel’s bankruptcy-preventing agreement they made with Universal in the 90s) is in Epcot, replacing Ellen’s Energy Adventure, which only continued to exist because Ellen became even more famous due to her talk show than she ever was as a comedian.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's the same problem as with the Gotg movies: they're nominally about amoral killers redeeming themselves, but they don't actually change, they're still amoral killers but now they make speeches about caring and family.

Likewise, Gunn nominally moved past his edgy tweets, but in reality he just changed to more generally acceptable topics (like an unpopular politician).

Thus the argument that he changed and didn't deserve to get fired doesn't really hold water.

Dude, your basically arguing in favor of mccarthyism.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought that was to do with the blog or whatever where he described or rated or whatever superheroines that he wanted to gently caress?

The apology like 7 or so years ago was, yeah, but he has referenced and apologized about the tweets/being an idiot on social media in interviews since then. One was as recent as like last year.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Alhazred posted:

You're never going to penetrate a skull that thick, give it up. The man just said "Making jokes about pedophilia is the same as saying mean things about Trump. These things are equal in my brain."

You can't loving argue with somebody who believes that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Let me get this straight - noting that Gunn hadn't really changed from being an obnoxious edgelord is the same as accusing people of treason?

Keep in mind that I haven't even argued that Gunn should have been fired. Disney was hypocritical for doing so, but it wasn't some injustice.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keep in mind that I haven't even argued that Gunn should have been fired. Disney was hypocritical for doing so, but it wasn't some injustice.

Blacklisting people because of their political opinions are injustice. And you are apparently fine with that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Blacklisting people because of their political opinions are injustice. And you are apparently fine with that.

James Gunn hasn't been blacklisted for his political opinions. He was fired from a company over his personal conduct. His political opinions led to this situation, but he wasn't fired over them. Disney/Marvel doesn't care that much if you criticize Trump.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alhazred posted:

This is a bit of an overreaction, he definitely wasn't blacklisted. Him losing his job was dumb af but I highly doubt the rest of Hollywood is going to avoid working with him over it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The conversation has gotten way off base. What used to be about a criticism of Disney, who had to have been aware of Gunn’s past and knew about the content still in the GotG movies, suddenly changing their mind out of fear of making 3% less on GotG3 is now mourning for James Gunn’s very-much-not-dead career.

Performative wokeness is the new Disney marketing strategy. Marvel made all the money in the world off of pretending that you could support the black community by giving Disney money for tickets to a movie about a monarchist king chosen through combat crushing a rebellion, and they look to be pulling a similar move with the marketing for Captain Marvel. When you consider this, the move to fire Gunn makes complete sense. Disney is absolutely the bad guy in this story, not Cernovich - though don’t worry, he’s the bad guy in pleeeeenty others.

There is a general fear in consumerist nerd circles to criticize Disney. It’s a fascinating phenomenon.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pirate Jet posted:

The conversation has gotten way off base. What used to be about a criticism of Disney, who had to have been aware of Gunn’s past and knew about the content still in the GotG movies, suddenly changing their mind out of fear of making 3% less on GotG3 is now mourning for James Gunn’s very-much-not-dead career.

Performative wokeness is the new Disney marketing strategy. Marvel made all the money in the world off of pretending that you could support the black community by giving Disney money for tickets to a movie about a monarchist king chosen through combat crushing a rebellion, and they look to be pulling a similar move with the marketing for Captain Marvel. When you consider this, the move to fire Gunn makes complete sense. Disney is absolutely the bad guy in this story, not Cernovich - though don’t worry, he’s the bad guy in pleeeeenty others.

There is a general fear in consumerist nerd circles to criticize Disney. It’s a fascinating phenomenon.

This is a "straw that broke the camel's back" moment for me, a 43 year-old woman with no kids who is definitely not their target demographic. My "old man screams at clouds" moment, if you will.

For Captain Marvel, I'm already feeling that it will be less a story about Carol Danvers and more about the team she is on and about SHIELD so they can continue to minimize women in their films while pretending that they aren't. Just like they erased queer identities from characters for reasons.
The scales have fallen off my eyes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

James Gunn hasn't been blacklisted for his political opinions. He was fired from a company over his personal conduct. His political opinions led to this situation, but he wasn't fired over them. Disney/Marvel doesn't care that much if you criticize Trump.

I'll give you that he wasn't blacklisted, only fired from arguably the most powerful corporations in the US. But here's your argument:

It's hard to read that in any different way than that you think Gunn deserved to be fired because he made fun of Trump.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Aleph Null posted:

For Captain Marvel, I'm already feeling that it will be less a story about Carol Danvers and more about the team she is on and about SHIELD so they can continue to minimize women in their films while pretending that they aren't. Just like they erased queer identities from characters for reasons.
The scales have fallen off my eyes.

The Marvel Method: because when your fanbase is so eager to ship any and every character, queerbaiting is just as effective as actual representation without actually having to do the work!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

It's hard to read that in any different way

That's fair. I was trying to say that him apologizing for the tweets doesn't make the firing unjust.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's fair. I was trying to say that him apologizing for the tweets doesn't make the firing unjust.

Why not? He has realized that those tweets were wrong and he did stop making tweets like that. Why is it just to punish him for that?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

Why not? He has realized that those tweets were wrong and he did stop making tweets like that. Why is it just to punish him for that?

It's not just or unjust. Gunn was simply vulnerable to attacks like this because he tried to be both edgy and family-friendly, like his movies.

e: No one is even pretending that this is a question of artistic freedom, and people instead decry that their beloved film series might get cut short. As important as these movies are to them, they have undeniably contributed negatively to film culture, and Gunn's firing is no great loss to cinema.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e: No one is even pretending that this is a question of artistic freedom, and people instead decry that their beloved film series might get cut short. As important as these movies are to them, they have undeniably contributed negatively to film culture, and Gunn's firing is no great loss to cinema.

I think it's more that this send a message that you can't criticize Trump unless you have never made an edgy joke on social media or else you risk losing your job.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

I think it's more that this send a message that you can't criticize Trump unless you have never made an edgy joke on social media or else you risk losing your job.

Conveniently this serves Disney very well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

1) Absolutely no one is less motivated to criticize Trump over this.

2) People who make rape jokes on Twitter probably don't provide worthwhile political commentary in the first place.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Low Desert Punk posted:

lol if you don't think directors under Disney are literally 100 percent replaceable

I think everyone working at Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm became anxiously aware of this during the last couple of months. This is the same company that uses slave labor in Chinese sweatshops to make toys for western trust fund kids while aggressively promoting "family values", BTW.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lol trust fund kids.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Lol trust fund kids.

Oh man, look at this courageous white kid here apologizing for Disney. I'm sure they would be hosed without you, boss.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It wasn't an apology for disney so much as it was calling you a moron.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I’d like to see the breakneck willingness to accept apologies for statements made applied more broadly. People will crow for someone’s head over a dumbass tweet one moment and then call others oppressive for not offering Jesus-grade forgiveness for the asking when it’s someone they “like” whatever that means.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you made a tweet that sucks 10 years ago, and or were in high school when made said tweet, and haven't repeated the content in said tweet, you should not be fired, or punished in any way.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gunn was not in high school, the tweets were less than 10 years ago, and he repeated their content, lol

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

It wasn't an apology for disney so much as it was calling you a moron.

Trust fund kid spotted

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah no one wants to define the boundaries. They want it good and subjective so they can punish people they disagree with or have no affinity for while benevolently offering a pass to people they think are "ok". It's gross.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t even want people I hate to be taken down by old tweets. I just find that to be a step too far and pretty much cements the fact that you aren’t allowed to make mistakes, ever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

I wouldn’t even want people I hate to be taken down by old tweets. I just find that to be a step too far and pretty much cements the fact that you aren’t allowed to make mistakes, ever.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
See James Gunn made some dumb tweets 7 years ago and has apologized multiple times. He has basically said, "yes, I know that was dumb and I was dumb, but I've grown and now I am less dumb".

Rossanne Barr made some racist tweets a few months ago and people started quitting her show so ABC fired her. She then sort of apologized by saying people took her tweets out of context or didn't understand what she really meant.

One person made the offensive comments years ago and actually admitted they were bad and apologized and has had time to show that he has actually grown and become a more mature person who no longer makes jokes like that.

The other person's offensive opinions from basically yesterday haven't changed and she doesn't think they should change because they aren't wrong; she's just gonna try to be more careful about how she dog whistles it in the future.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Aleph Null posted:

One person made the offensive comments years ago and actually admitted they were bad and apologized and has had time to show that he has actually grown and become a more mature person who no longer makes jokes like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edXxwl8kYlU&t=24s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
At this point I think if the line has to be drawn so that Roseanne would have gotten a free pass in order to prevent something like Gunn's firing, so be it.

People shouldn't go "oh he'll be fine lol", they should think if Gunn can be fired, who else could be next.

• Locked thread