Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I get like a 5 ping to the servers are zero packet losses. This just means the actual game is broke as poo poo even more than I thought if the servers are rendering everything properly (I think). :D

Turns out it's not a network status widget it's just an animation they added to make you think that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I get below 20 ping to all NA servers, usually below 12. But, I also get around 60-70 to EU servers, which is wrong. NA on EU or EU on NA is almost always 120ms.

It's completely wrong, don't believe anything it says.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Not to mention your ping and packet loss has nothing to do with desync.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I get like a 5 ping to the servers are zero packet losses. This just means the actual game is broke as poo poo even more than I thought if the servers are rendering everything properly (I think). :D

The ping is network ping, not including server processing time. Desync/teleporting happens when your client's prediction of a thing's movement does not match the server's calculated actual movement of the same thing. The server wins out, and your enemy teleport.

Except if you are getting shot, in which case, the enemy's client's predicted hit wins out and you die. Well, something like that anyway.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Thank you, I know. What I mean is, on your screen you hit a man 5 times, but on his you only hit him once. And the wall thing is you get clearly behind a wall and then the guy you were fighting still hits or kills you.

You never see his screen. You can see your (locally produced) death cam, or your locally saved replay. What he saw on his screen could be very similar to the death cam, or it could differ quite a bit.
Edit: If your opponent posts a screen recording on Youtube, I guess you actually do see his screen?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 12, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The amount of desync any individual suffers is directly proportionate to their opinion on how good they are at the game, from what I've observed.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Ether Frenzy posted:

The amount of desync any individual suffers is directly proportionate to their opinion on how good they are at the game, from what I've observed.

It’s this- go on reddit and look at desync videos and it’s amazing how many of them would have their arms/legs sticking out such that they get shot/not be able to shoot.

My favourite is a guy who was raging but in his very own video, it was clear the guy was just shooting him under the building on Sanhok

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Ether Frenzy posted:

so much this

Also LOL at anyone thinking cod BR will have any staying power. Maybe on consoles, especially because PS4 only has fortnite?

PubG is like counter strike in that it kind of nailed down the game mechanics of the genre first, and will be around for a long rear end time. Especially with the way they've been updating it in the past six months, the game runs butter smooth and the netcode feels solid.

I have not run into a cheater that I can recall, either, for the longest time. Like, 6 months, or more.

I dunno I think the game is in a good place and seems to be getting better because the dev team seems to listen to what the playerbase is asking for.

Also it sucks if you don't live in a hugely populated corner of the world, but I wouldn't exactly blame the devs when each round requires 100 people. Move to Canada?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Penpal posted:

...the game runs butter smooth...

Wait what

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Smooth as a stick of butter packed full of rocks and other detritus, sure

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I never drop below like 100 frames and run my monitor at 90hz so yeah
it's butter smooth

in that it's smooth

like butter is

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
"This game runs butter smooth so we decided to start a campaign called FIX PUBG" - Brendan Greene

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Game was actually designed to be a turn-based adventure, the FPS result was a complete accident.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Thom P. Tiers posted:

"This game runs butter smooth so we decided to start a campaign called FIX PUBG" - Brendan Greene

Netcode is spot on but like 1/3 of the FIXPUBG goals are netcode related.

Smooth.

Like butter is smooth.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I don't know what else you'd use to describe a game that maintains 100fps on a decade old processor and an okay graphics card but sure

and yeah I thought most of the FIX PUBG marketing meme was people complaining about netcode poo poo

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
To be fair though, I actually also think the game runs pretty smooth. But there are definitely improvements that still need to be made:

-Loot still doesn't always spawn immediately
-Parachutes get wind gusts once in a while
-Desync is an actual thing that happens way too frequently
-Dropping hot can still be an absolute mess

I'm probably missing others. But yea, I mean, they've come a LONG way. And the player base getting cut in half or more means nothing. Everyone wanted to try the flavor of the month game and a ton of people got bored with it or realized they sucked and just left after three months of casual playing. The diehards still seem to be around (me) and the player count is still pulling in huge numbers. Nobody expected this $30 game to keep an average player count of 1.5 million on steam. The current numbers could get cut in half again and it would still be a successful game with a huge player base. For people to think CoD on PC is going to pull in 500k players is... insane imo.

The gun play in this game just feels so... good.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OK I HATE THIS GAME THATS THE LAST STRAW IM NEVER PLAYING THIS BROKEN rear end GAME AGAIN
*fires up PUBG*

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've never played a CoD but I was always under the impression the PC version of the games were always pretty badly supported?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I've never played a CoD but I was always under the impression the PC version of the games were always pretty badly supported?

This is correct

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Penpal posted:

so much this

Also LOL at anyone thinking cod BR will have any staying power. Maybe on consoles, especially because PS4 only has fortnite?

PubG is like counter strike in that it kind of nailed down the game mechanics of the genre first, and will be around for a long rear end time. Especially with the way they've been updating it in the past six months, the game runs butter smooth and the netcode feels solid.

I have not run into a cheater that I can recall, either, for the longest time. Like, 6 months, or more.

I dunno I think the game is in a good place and seems to be getting better because the dev team seems to listen to what the playerbase is asking for.

Also it sucks if you don't live in a hugely populated corner of the world, but I wouldn't exactly blame the devs when each round requires 100 people. Move to Canada?

lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah they honestly did a far better job optimizing graphics than I ever would have expected. Tons of other problems, but the game runs at like double the fps it originally did.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Daeno fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 4, 2020

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
It is better but two pretty big problems remain: there is a large amount of hitching that still happens and (apparently) wildly different performance between hardware configurations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

see you on the digital battlefield 😗

Daeno posted:

Penpal I don't know what kind of butter you're eating but I'm worried for your health

oh poo poo it's salty margerine

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

This argument doesn't work when several really good streamers like Grimmz have completely quit playing specifically because the desync is so terrible.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I thought Grimmz quit because people far better and far more interesting came in and took all the PUBG viewers he was pulling

and/or the honking

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

[citation needed]

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

isn't grimmz a whiny little shitbird?

yep, he is

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lol, this game is completely broken trash and all you can do to try to defend the obvious dumpster fire is insult anyone who points it out.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

step away from the internet

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

whoa hold on no one said the game isn't broken trash just that grimmz is

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

it seems like the less effort i put into this game the better i do. hop on solos and just lol it up is the only way i ever win, when i tryhard i just get owned by people using the same strats who are better than my old rear end

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’ve still never won solo.

:negative:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I've won a single solo by being a sneaky snake bitch til the end.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I don't think PUBG is dying anytime soon or anything, but it's hard to not look at Fortnite or some of the other new BR products coming down the pike and feel like PUBG is a bit stuck.

Fortnite is regularly adding new content and weird poo poo like the Thanos glove, falling meteors, a giant purple cube rolling across the map, or golf cart vehicles with genuinely inventive jumping/leaning mechanics.

From watching a little bit of Blackout it seems like they're doing a few interesting things with perks and zombies, or some of more exotic weapon types.

The commonality there is that the competitors have a certain freedom to experiment and be inventive, meanwhile PUBG feels very firmly rooted in an ARMA-lite type milsim, and they are STILL struggling with basic technical competency rather than actually doing anything mechanically interesting or evolving the game in exciting ways. I think the content strategy that PUBG has set itself on of expanding the game primarily through new maps and new guns that behave slightly differently from old guns is not a good path either.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The changed inventory controls loving suck. I keep trying to drop parts of stacks like before but when I hit a number key it jumps the quantity of what I'm dropping to max. Why would hitting 2 max it out instead of setting myself to drop two energy drinks?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PUBG players drive like this... but Fortnite players drive like this

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

also lol if u bought SCUM

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Regrettable posted:

This argument doesn't work when several really good streamers like Grimmz have completely quit playing specifically because the desync is so terrible.

Choco, boom, shroud, just9n, lurn, swagger

It happens on all their streams but you guys are right they must just be bad at the game

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Mischievous Mink posted:

The changed inventory controls loving suck. I keep trying to drop parts of stacks like before but when I hit a number key it jumps the quantity of what I'm dropping to max. Why would hitting 2 max it out instead of setting myself to drop two energy drinks?

It's broken. You need to backspace the amount that appears by default, and then type in how much you want to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chard posted:

also lol if u bought SCUM

SCUM good :tutbutt: