Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

succ posted:

Lol Katrina basically happened and no significant changes were made to federal/state/local responses to hurricanes.

https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1039653107922219008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this is premeditated murder

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

here's what the governor said

quote:

“We know the evacuation order I’m issuing will be inconvenient,” McMaster said. “But we’re not going to gamble with the lives of the people of South Carolina. Not a one.”

:ironicat:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

Oh come on it's only conspiracy right now! Lying libs!!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

here's what the governor said

:ironicat:

oh sure, we'll let some of our slaves drown, but it would be too inconvenient to save them

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Crusader posted:

i wish i still had it, i just vaguely remember it ending with "KATRINA IS COMING KATRINA IS COMING", which may not even be accurate

quote:

HURRICANE IKE FINAL ADVISORY NUMBER 666
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
0200 AM SUN SEP 14 2008

A MASSIVE HURRICANE, NEY, A TITANIC BLACK MASS OF DESTRUCTION, BORN OF THE COLD, EVIL WOMB OF MOTHER NATURE, WILL RENDER MUCH OF COASTAL AND INLAND TEXAS A BARREN WASTELAND. IKE IS COMING.

SUCH IS THE POWER OF THIS STORM, IF INDEED, ANYTHING DISPENSING THIS AMOUNT OF HUMAN SUFFERING CAN BE CALLED A STORM.

THE STORM SURGE, ONCE PREDICTED AT 17 FEET, WILL NOW REACH UNHEARD OF HEIGHTS. IF WILL BE AS IF THE OCEAN ITSELF HAS VACATED ITS VAST PRISON, SHAKING LOOSE ITS CHAINS, AND LAYING ITSELF PRONE ATOP THE CITIES OF MAN. THE LAST VESTIGES OF ITS BONDAGE SINKING ALL THAT LIES IN ITS PATH.

ALL STRUCTURES WITHIN A 100 MILE RADIUS WILL SUFFER DEVASTATING EFFECTS. WOOD WILL SPLINTER, CONCRETE WILL BECOME DUST. THE FOUNDATIONS WILL BE THE STARK REMNANTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE IN THESE AREAS. TREES WILL BECOME UPROOTED AND CARRIED MILES BY WINDS THAT WILL BLAST THE VERY SKIN FROM ANYONE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO REMAIN OUTSIDE. BUT THEY WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES...THE FIRST TO DIE. FOR A MUCH GREATER MISERY AWAITS THOSE THAT SURVIVE.

AMIDST THIS MIRE OF CARNAGE, THE FEW SURVIVORS WILL WALLOW IN A SOUP OF DEATH AND DESPAIR, AS THEY FACE GRIM ODDS. FEW STRUCTURES WILL EXIST, AND FOOD AND WATER WILL BE MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD. AS CORPSES OF HUMANS AND ANIMALS ROT, DYSENTERY AND MALARIA WILL BEGIN THEIR MACABRE DANCE AMONG THOSE REMAINING AND MANY WILL BE FORCED TO CONSUME ONE ANOTHER TO LIVE ONE FINAL DAY.

ENTIRE GENERATIONS WILL PERISH, AND THE HURRICANE WILL CREEP INTO LEGEND. IT WILL BE A SIN TO EVEN CALL ITS NAME ALOUD, THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THIS EVENT BEING SPOKEN OF IN HUSHED TONES, AND REVERED BY THOSE WHO SEE IT AS JUDGMENT. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS HERE. IKE IS H

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i hope there's a riot when most of the guards evacuate and a mass breakout

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
updated it

twoday posted:

HURRICANE FLORENCE FINAL ADVISORY NUMBER 666
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER WILMINGTON NC
0200 AM SUN SEP 13 2018

A MASSIVE HURRICANE, NEY, A TITANIC BLACK MASS OF DESTRUCTION, BORN OF THE COLD, EVIL WOMB OF MOTHER NATURE, WILL RENDER MUCH OF COASTAL AND INLAND NORTH CAROLINA A BARREN WASTELAND. FLORENCE IS COMING.

SUCH IS THE POWER OF THIS STORM, IF INDEED, ANYTHING DISPENSING THIS AMOUNT OF HUMAN SUFFERING CAN BE CALLED A STORM.

THE STORM SURGE, ONCE PREDICTED AT 17 FEET, WILL NOW REACH UNHEARD OF HEIGHTS. IF WILL BE AS IF THE OCEAN ITSELF HAS VACATED ITS VAST PRISON, SHAKING LOOSE ITS CHAINS, AND LAYING ITSELF PRONE ATOP THE CITIES OF MAN. THE LAST VESTIGES OF ITS BONDAGE SINKING ALL THAT LIES IN ITS PATH.

ALL STRUCTURES WITHIN A 100 MILE RADIUS WILL SUFFER DEVASTATING EFFECTS. WOOD WILL SPLINTER, CONCRETE WILL BECOME DUST. THE FOUNDATIONS WILL BE THE STARK REMNANTS OF HUMAN EXISTENCE IN THESE AREAS. TREES WILL BECOME UPROOTED AND CARRIED MILES BY WINDS THAT WILL BLAST THE VERY SKIN FROM ANYONE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO REMAIN OUTSIDE. BUT THEY WILL BE THE LUCKY ONES...THE FIRST TO DIE. FOR A MUCH GREATER MISERY AWAITS THOSE THAT SURVIVE.

AMIDST THIS MIRE OF CARNAGE, THE FEW SURVIVORS WILL WALLOW IN A SOUP OF DEATH AND DESPAIR, AS THEY FACE GRIM ODDS. FEW STRUCTURES WILL EXIST, AND FOOD AND WATER WILL BE MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD. AS CORPSES OF HUMANS AND ANIMALS ROT, DYSENTERY AND MALARIA WILL BEGIN THEIR MACABRE DANCE AMONG THOSE REMAINING AND MANY WILL BE FORCED TO CONSUME ONE ANOTHER TO LIVE ONE FINAL DAY.

ENTIRE GENERATIONS WILL PERISH, AND THE HURRICANE WILL CREEP INTO LEGEND. IT WILL BE A SIN TO EVEN CALL ITS NAME ALOUD, THE VERY EXISTENCE OF THIS EVENT BEING SPOKEN OF IN HUSHED TONES, AND REVERED BY THOSE WHO SEE IT AS JUDGMENT. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS H

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Algund Eenboom posted:

Given that the army corp of engineers intentionally constructed levis more poorly in the poor and black neighborhoods, that's a really loving bizzarre thing for you to say

yah it was flippant and uninformed and i apologize for it

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

god drat the national guard isnt just for mercing college kids

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Crusader posted:

the katrina warning from the weather service is still amazing over a decade later

The skyline was beautiful on fire

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

I nominate the following thread title change for Friday: [BIG WET HURRICANE] FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS HERE. FLORENCE IS H

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikebettes/status/1039947509299392517?s=21

Florida is much better with its collection of drunk people hanging around beach bars before a hurricane hits

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Lokar posted:

https://twitter.com/mikebettes/status/1039947509299392517?s=21

Florida is much better with its collection of drunk people hanging around beach bars before a hurricane hits

Cosplaying Deep Impact. Nice.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

93 inches of rain. lol

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1040019584462409728

Should have clapped

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
poor Jebi, its like the primaries all over again

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lol @ low-energy Jeb!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:stare:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
A category downgrade is reassuring for the exact reason that the categories are what they are, it means that fewer well-constructed structures on high ground are gonna get blowed away!

edit: which is particularly important in Wilmington which is a bit above projected storm surge, not that there's much silver lining on 5 feet of rain or whatever

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/AliStandish/status/1039998597478187008

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

america.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002

This weather buoy is going to get owned by the storm. :f5: for wind speed updates every 10 minutes.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

shovelbum posted:

A category downgrade is reassuring for the exact reason that the categories are what they are, it means that fewer well-constructed structures on high ground are gonna get blowed away!

edit: which is particularly important in Wilmington which is a bit above projected storm surge, not that there's much silver lining on 5 feet of rain or whatever

The storm is only about 10 mile per hour of sustained winspeed slower than yesterday, but that was enough to downgrad it from a category 4 to a category 3. As I understand it the difference between 130 mile per hour winds and 140 mile per hour winds in terms of damage that will be caused to well-built structures is pretty negligible.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Sep 13, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pooky posted:

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41002

This weather buoy is going to get owned by the storm. :f5: for wind speed updates every 10 minutes.

lol look at the steadily increasing windspeed

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Are there any good dams or critical infrastructure in poor condition in the area that will potentially gently caress poo poo up? Gotta watch those flood numbers go up.

Lake Tahoma looks pretty ripe - almost burst with 7 inches of rain back in May.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Goffer posted:

Are there any good dams or critical infrastructure in poor condition in the area that will potentially gently caress poo poo up? Gotta watch those flood numbers go up.

Lake Tahoma looks pretty ripe - almost burst with 7 inches of rain back in May.

Western NC is more this, we'll see it on the back end of the storm I think.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41048

Another one with a camera array. It's not as close, but close enough:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

hurricane helene

Good.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Chinatown posted:

lol look at the steadily increasing windspeed

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:yeshaha:

im the air pressure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/Jeremy56643486/status/1039981451431890944?s=19

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

opened this stream and freaked myself out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
so I posted the hyperbolic weather report in the GBS hurricane thread and someone posted this:

HonorableTB posted:

OH LAWD SHE COMIN

That's the chonkiest hurricane I've ever seen in my life. I have a friend in Wilmington who refuses to evacuate and asked me "Come on, how bad could it be?" and all I did was copy & paste the fake NWS apocalypse warning someone posted last page and left it at that.

He's now evacuating because I told him "For you, specifically, in Wilmington, that's not really using any hyperbole to describe the hell that is descending down on you."

Thanks, funny goon, you helped me save a life in a literal sense.

lmao

good work, c-spam doom crew

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Super Typhoon Mangkhut has reached 178 mph sustained winds w/ gusts to 219 mph. Pressure has dropped to 898 mb (lowest ever was Typhoon Tip @ 870). Mangkhut is still strengthening and thousands of people in the Phillipines are probably going to die.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twoday posted:

so I posted the hyperbolic weather report in the GBS hurricane thread and someone posted this:

lmao

thank heavens

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUF3Of0S3tE

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

twoday posted:

lmao

Over in the GBS thread you have people bragging about how they're going to tough it out in Wilmington and telling other people that this storm is no big deal (compared to other storms that have hit the area) and everyone is overhyping things...

What I'm saying is that I am very grateful for the existence of C-SPAM. This forum really should not serve as an honest-to-god bastion of sanity- but it's what we've got and it'll do.

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 01:16 on Sep 13, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Last time a typhoon of this strength hit the Phillipines, 8,000 people died and bodies were washing ashore for months afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/SortaBad/status/1040030120784740352