Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Everybody's phone is randomly trying to connect to all the wifi spots it has ever seen like every 10 seconds. Try monitoring wifi in a coffee shop for a few minutes and then going up to the owner of "Bill's iPhone" and pretend like you know him from that Hooters in Philly. It's always a great way to break the ice.

Not that I have ever done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

Please be more specific.

Subjunctive posted:

but no less emphatic

Agreed

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Pryor on Fire posted:

Everybody's phone is randomly trying to connect to all the wifi spots it has ever seen like every 10 seconds. Try monitoring wifi in a coffee shop for a few minutes and then going up to the owner of "Bill's iPhone" and pretend like you know him from that Hooters in Philly. It's always a great way to break the ice.

Not that I have ever done this.

that's why iOS randomizes the mac address when checking local wifi spots.

p. cool feature

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

p. cool feature

that’s more because companies are aggregating lists of detected MACs to track you between stores

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

p. cool feature

A good idea in principle, but in practice there are many ways to defeat this anonymization. For example, the phone will use it's real mac address once it's associated. So you spoof the 100 most common SSID's or whatever and you can grab most of the MAC addresses.

This paper has a decent overview :
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.02874.pdf

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spankmeister posted:

A good idea in principle, but in practice there are many ways to defeat this anonymization. For example, the phone will use it's real mac address once it's associated. So you spoof the 100 most common SSID's or whatever and you can grab most of the MAC addresses.

This paper has a decent overview :
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1703.02874.pdf

apple is so loving bad at security lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

carry on then posted:

apple is so loving bad at security lol

they are

but this isn't really an example of it

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Be careful not to download any images today. Wonder what clever image format it is this time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

EssOEss posted:

Be careful not to download any images today. Wonder what clever image format it is this time.

:911:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's somehow managed to last 3 whole years which has gotta be some kind of record
I refuse to believe you got 3 years of patches out of LG

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
good pr

https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1039816454730854401

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is that what got BA?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

is that what got BA?

Apparently it's the same group, but the BA thing was hand crafted to target them. The hackers modified the scripts hosted on the official BA web servers and registered BA specific domains to receive the stolen data to try to blend in.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's probably using one of those dumb location-based wifi services (where it leaves the wifi off until it knows you're in an area with wifi you can access because location services uses considerably less power than promiscuous wifi*) and your mno desperately wants you offloading to wifi where possible to save their minutes

then why does it still do it when i'm connected to wifi

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

I refuse to believe you got 3 years of patches out of LG

lol i didn't say that

quote:

Release date: May 18, 2017
Android version: 6.0
Security patch level (SPL): April 1, 2017

apparently t-mobile got one this year in May but at&t is stuck on last year's

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

ate all the Oreos posted:

then why does it still do it when i'm connected to wifi

your wifi desperately wants you offloading to other wifis where possible to save their bauds

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if it doesn't release the stress by shifting starting, your antenna will etherblast

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Tavis is monitoring this thread apparently, something just popped up this morning to review the scanning settings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:wave:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I assume its because they're absolutely terrified at the prospect of not having functional location data if you call 911. Charter just got kicked out of the entire state of New York for similar poo poo

it’s also for carriers to know when you’re outside the country using it.

T-Mobile charges you international calling rates when you use WiFi calling outside the US because gently caress you that’s why.
My work phone came with explicit instructions to use FaceTime Audio whenever you were in another country and needed to call someone, since the international data plan is cheaper than minutes.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

it’s also for carriers to know when you’re outside the country using it.

T-Mobile charges you international calling rates when you use WiFi calling outside the US because gently caress you that’s why.
My work phone came with explicit instructions to use FaceTime Audio whenever you were in another country and needed to call someone, since the international data plan is cheaper than minutes.

i think people who did that generally manage to get the charges reversed. probably easier to just not do it though.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 12, 2018

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jimmy Carter posted:

!

i have been evangelizing wifi calling to people i know who travel abroad, and how it is effectively free usage of your phone as if you are in your home country, and i did not know any carriers actually charged for this

gently caress that is scummy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Lysidas posted:

!

i have been evangelizing wifi calling to people i know who travel abroad, and how it is effectively free usage of your phone as if you are in your home country, and i did not know any carriers actually charged for this

gently caress that is scummy

calls to and from the us with wifi calling (and the digits app) are free anywhere in the world

if you are in, say, germany and call a local number while on wifi calling it's billed as though you are calling from the us though. so you might end up paying $3/min instead of the regular roaming cost of 20¢/min

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2018

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
yeah that makes sense, jimmy carter made it sound like if you are in germany and you use wifi calling through tmobile to call a US number, you are billed for international charges

being charged international rates if you call a german number is perfectly consistent with "your phone acts exactly like youre in the US"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bruce Schneier gave me math homework:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mrmcd posted:

That's really cool. He was in DC doing a signing right? I was thinking about going before I remembered that I'm a worthless turd who doesn't do real things.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
posted without comment

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/1039960037077200896

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/1039973039583240197

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that’s awesome. what pointers are authenticated? return addresses? vtables?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

presumably every pointer in Apple controlled binaries that doesn't escape to legacy app store apps, and probably some of them too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I wasn’t sure if there were performance implications that would limit where they could be applied

Apple needs to write more papers

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

rjmccall posted:

posted without comment

this is a clever solution to "I'm itching to say more but I'm not allowed to"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I assume they're using the standard AArch64 pointer authentication instructions

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Salt Fish posted:

That's really cool. He was in DC doing a signing right? I was thinking about going before I remembered that I'm a worthless turd who doesn't do real things.

NYC but he has a new book out so I assume he's everywhere doing the new book dance.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
openssl 1.1.1 was released yesterday with a ton of stuff, despite following openssl releases i always forget that lots of new features come in the x.y.z+1 releases instead of x+1.0.0 or x.y+1.0

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

mrmcd posted:

Glad he's still using that same puzzle (I got this signed about 5 years ago).

Also, a friend asked me what I thought about https://www.bolonetwork.com/ and it took a lot of convincing that it wasn't actually a joke...

CoasterMaster fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 13, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

crazypenguin posted:

this is a clever solution to "I'm itching to say more but I'm not allowed to"

we’re actually not entirely sure if we’re allowed to talk about it now or not. there’s going to be a white paper about it, but it’s not obviously a marketing-managed information release

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mrmcd posted:

For those who must know

P U R C
H A S E
B O O K

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Volmarias posted:

For those who must know

P U R C