Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It even has the best version of Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed with five-player multiplayer.

That'd be the PC version. It's only 4 player splitscreen but there's online anyway and it has a bunch of extra characters, runs at 4k/60fps etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not entirely true though. The latter part, at least :v:. There's actually quite a decent little selection of third-party titles like Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X, and Fatal Frame 5/Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water. It even has the best version of Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed with five-player multiplayer. Not to mention Bayonetta 2 and Lego City Undercover, especially when they've gotten ports to modern consoles.

Every single game you mentioned, besides Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed, was published by Nintendo. And every single one of them, besides Lego, is a Nintendo property.

Outside of Monster Hunter Tri and the definitive version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, third party games on the system were weak. Hence why Rodea: The Sky Soldier (a Wii game released in a Wii U box) is the best third party game for the platform.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

There's a reason why so many Wii U games are getting ported to Switch.

Because the Wii U cratered massively and Nintendo and other developers who'd put things on it needed a way to recoup the costs of development on those games. Many of which had started development when things were looking much better for the console in its early days and had to keep going even when it became apparent the console was doing poorly, some of which were completed with the explicit knowledge that the system would soon be discontinued.

It's by far the most disappointing console I ever got in its launch window, and unlike the 3DS Nintendo didn't even toss over a bunch of neat consolation prizes before turning things back around. The console was only out for 4 years and a little over 2 months from launch to Nintendo announcing it was discontinued and console production was halted - that's a bit under 2 years longer than the Dreamcast was alive, but while the Dreamcast was sold it sold about 21% faster than the Wii U did despite how strapped for cash and support Sega'd been throughout.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

Because the Wii U cratered massively and Nintendo and other developers who'd put things on it needed a way to recoup the costs of development on those games. Many of which had started development when things were looking much better for the console in its early days and had to keep going even when it became apparent the console was doing poorly, some of which were completed with the explicit knowledge that the system would soon be discontinued.

Obviously if the system sold gangbusters Nintendo wouldn't be getting away with doing so many enhanced ports, but a the games they do bring over are all critically acclaimed and have performed commercially well (outside of Bayonetta's continued ho-hum success)..

fishmech posted:

It's by far the most disappointing console I ever got in its launch window, and unlike the 3DS Nintendo didn't even toss over a bunch of neat consolation prizes before turning things back around. The console was only out for 4 years and a little over 2 months from launch to Nintendo announcing it was discontinued and console production was halted - that's a bit under 2 years longer than the Dreamcast was alive, but while the Dreamcast was sold it sold about 21% faster than the Wii U did despite how strapped for cash and support Sega'd been throughout.

Another to forget is just how much smaller gaming was 18 years ago. So the Dreamcast would have sold more if there were as many people interested in gaming back then as they are now.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

fishmech posted:

Isn’t the WiiU the only console that never got a single motherboard revision in its lifetime? I recall reading that most of the bundles that came out were actually systems shipped back from retail and repackaged by Nintendo because the retailers just wanted them gone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

Obviously if the system sold gangbusters Nintendo wouldn't be getting away with doing so many enhanced ports, but a the games they do bring over are all critically acclaimed and have performed commercially well (outside of Bayonetta's continued ho-hum success)..

Another to forget is just how much smaller gaming was 18 years ago. So the Dreamcast would have sold more if there were as many people interested in gaming back then as they are now.

I agree that they were games wasted on a dead system, that really doesn't make the Wii U good though. Nintendo has talented dev teams that more often than not this century end up saddled with a system that's already in trouble as where they simply have to publish (eg, latter days of the GameCube which was Nintendo's previously worst selling major console and had some issues from the insistence on the custom small discs, latter day Wii titles when people had stopped buying Wiis in big numbers and the shortcomings of the SDTV focus were big - some of these even themselves were "remastered" for the Wii U ASAP, etc)

Again that just goes to show how poorly the Wii U really performed with people.

Also here's a funny thing I just remembered - both Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are Zelda games near-simultaneously released on an old console that was doing very poorly by time of the game coming out, as well as a new console that did much better. Like GameCube was quit e a bit behind in 3rd place for its gen and the Wii was way more popular, similarly BOTW comes out only once the Wii U was fully dead and the Switch already sold more systems in a year than the Wii U had its whole production.

Deadguy2322 posted:

Isn’t the WiiU the only console that never got a single motherboard revision in its lifetime? I recall reading that most of the bundles that came out were actually systems shipped back from retail and repackaged by Nintendo because the retailers just wanted them gone.

I do believe there was no major motherboard revision BUT I'm pretty sure there was a revision made to the Wii U tablets along the way.

Of course a lot of low-selling systems only got minor motherboard revisions, and many consoles only had multiple real revisions because they needed to handle different regions. And certain other consoles only had a bunch of revisions due to having massive problems in the first designs, while if they'd done things right the first time it'd have been about getting a reduced-cost revision in many years into their life.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
On the topic of revised consoles, the difference between the fat and slim PS2 is still kind of astonishing when you think about it. Will any console ever shrink that much again?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The fat ps2 is 90% a hard drive bracket and a hilariously oversized PSU, so probably not. Most consoles these days try to actually efficiently use all the space they have inside their case.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

fishmech posted:

The Wii U is a horrifying mistake.

I bought a secondhand WiiU about 8 months ago and absolutely love it. Played through Mario 3D world, Toads Treasure tracker and just finished Windwaker HD. Can’t wait to play Twilight Pricess HD next. For a horrifying mistake I seem to be getting a lot of memorable gaming out of it. I missed a lot of games since the gamecube so the WiiU seems to be a great catch up console.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

Also here's a funny thing I just remembered - both Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are Zelda games near-simultaneously released on an old console that was doing very poorly by time of the game coming out, as well as a new console that did much better. Like GameCube was quit e a bit behind in 3rd place for its gen and the Wii was way more popular, similarly BOTW comes out only once the Wii U was fully dead and the Switch already sold more systems in a year than the Wii U had its whole production.

People REALLY don't understand just how bad the Gamecube performed. They often see "oh it only sold 2 million units less than the Xbox" but that isn't the whole story. To start things off one needs to factor in that Microsoft literally killed their console a full year before the Gamecube's successor. Effectively "in theory" cutting off 20% of the console's potential sales. The second thing is the factor of Japan. Now yes, I know technically every territory counts, and a sale is a sale no matter where it is. But the Xbox looks notably less effective on paper because it couldn't stay afloat in Japan, compared to where it outsold the Gamecube everywhere else.

However, I think the most notable thing is how these consoles finished. The Xbox always sold more than the Gamecube, but only by a bit. However, in 2004 Microsoft really began to gain ground as the Xbox began to sell 2/3rds of the PS2 sales, and even beat the PS2 during holiday season in North America. That being said the Xbox began to cool steam to selling more or less half of what the PS2 was selling, but that isn't too surprising as Microsoft was focused on preparing the Xbox 360. In contrast, the Gamecube struggled throughout the gate. It did well Holiday 2003 during Mario Kart but then continued back to form to struggle after that. But after Holiday 2004...the system just loving died. Resident Evil 4 had it still finishing in third and after that the system tanked loving hard and didn't ever recover from its distant third place. The Xbox was selling half of the PS2, and the Gamecube was selling half of the Xbox...

And keep in mind, this was in 2005. The Wii wouldn't show up until the end of 2006. Midway through 2006 the Gamecube was selling only 7,000 more units than the Xbox...the one that was killed. I don't have completely numbers for every month, but form what I see, it is very likely that the system was a walking corpse for almost two years.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 12, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Vanagoon posted:

On the topic of revised consoles, the difference between the fat and slim PS2 is still kind of astonishing when you think about it. Will any console ever shrink that much again?

Honestly the difference between the Xbox One S and the Xbox One (the third Xbox) is pretty big.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KingEup posted:

I bought a secondhand WiiU about 8 months ago and absolutely love it. Played through Mario 3D world, Toads Treasure tracker and just finished Windwaker HD. Can’t wait to play Twilight Pricess HD next. For a horrifying mistake I seem to be getting a lot of memorable gaming out of it. I missed a lot of games since the gamecube so the WiiU seems to be a great catch up console.

You bought a console on deep fire-sale prices once it was dead but before it had time to start climbing back up in price due to lack of supply. That's basically the best time to ever have bought one, but it's really kinda weird you never picked up a Wii considering everyone else picked one up at some point in its life. :shrug:

Nothing will ever compare to the way the sudden cancellation of the Dreamcast meant a whole bunch of retailers like Gamestop suddenly slashing the prices for brand new systems to $20 though and similarly slashing prices ont he controllers, VMUs, games, etc on top of the fact you could still burn the games when it comes to value for your money though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Karasu Tengu posted:

The fat ps2 is 90% a hard drive bracket and a hilariously oversized PSU, so probably not. Most consoles these days try to actually efficiently use all the space they have inside their case.

Yeah, Sony has some unbelievably talented engineers, I remember teardowns of the PS4 at launch couldn't believe how efficiently it was all bundled up.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Honestly the difference between the Xbox One S and the Xbox One (the third Xbox) is pretty big.

This is probably the biggest difference we're likely to see going forward, since the original Xbox One's design was incredibly conservative to avoid any possibility of a RROD fiasco repeat.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Nothing will ever compare to the way the sudden cancellation of the Dreamcast meant a whole bunch of retailers like Gamestop suddenly slashing the prices for brand new systems to $20 though and similarly slashing prices ont he controllers, VMUs, games, etc on top of the fact you could still burn the games when it comes to value for your money though.

Yeah, one of my big annoyances with consoles going forward is how it's basically impossible for their prices to drop to sub-$199 in an official capacity, let alone to the $99 the super slim PS2 managed to hit. Couldn't do this for the PS3 or 360 either, but at least those are like $80ish secondhand.

The Wii U was also an unusual system in terms of it hitting fire sale prices, which was much more restrained than with previous systems. Most non-limited edition older consoles could be had for $80 Canadian in some straightforward capacity for a decent window of time, but the Wii U was pretty much always $200+ unless you really lucked out. Hell, stores around me still carry new Wii U games but still for their full MSRP.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah the Wii U is a weird combination of it being a failed system that retailers don't even want to carry, along with having the Nintendo Tax attached to it

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Did the Dreamcast go on fire sale immediately on 01/30/2001, or did it take a month or two?

Also, to be fair to the Wii U, Nintendo REALLY tried to push it with good software, and while that did result in improved sales, it really doesn't mean much when the console sold so bad initially.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I walked out the door of an EB games with a keyboard, another controller, another vmu, typing of the dead, and pso for something like $87

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

That blows super hard. Wasn't there a goon in this thread who lost a lot of their stuff to burglary, but it wound up being covered by their home insurance?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i bought a wii u at launch and ended up using it more than my ps4 for the majority of its lifespan. wii u good

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

univbee posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Was the fire caused by 30 DC power bricks plugged in to daisy chained power strips?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

azurite posted:

That blows super hard. Wasn't there a goon in this thread who lost a lot of their stuff to burglary, but it wound up being covered by their home insurance?

I don't know if it was a thread goon, per se, but I recall that did happen and them mentioning how it was kind of awesome working with an insurance rep to get new stuff as close to the old as possible.

And lest we forget, there was also that collector in Australia who (from the pics they shared) had a whole house worth of retro game and computer stuff get wrecked by major flooding. I'm not sure if they had insurance, but it was a kick in the rear end to see regardless.

EDIT (warning, graphic mud on game action):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107035-Flood-Results-in-Post-Apocalyptic-Videogame-Collection#&gid=gallery_88&pid=4
https://kotaku.com/5735493/vintage-gaming-collection-washed-away-in-aussie-floods/

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 12, 2018

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I don't know if it was a thread goon, per se, but I recall that did happen and them mentioning how it was kind of awesome working with an insurance rep to get new stuff as close to the old as possible.

IIRC they were given the option to have the insurance company bid on ebay for replacement items or get the "modern equivalent" of each item. So like if I had 20 gameboys stolen, I could get 20 brand new 2DSs or something.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

fishmech posted:

You bought a console on deep fire-sale prices once it was dead but before it had time to start climbing back up in price due to lack of supply. That's basically the best time to ever have bought one, but it's really kinda weird you never picked up a Wii considering everyone else picked one up at some point in its life. :shrug:

FYI, this is the retro gaming thread, most of the consoles being discussed are dead.

Prices for Wii U are even lower now than when I bought mine: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/394957

Do you own a Wii U?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2018

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
The 3DO FZ-10 USB Controller from MNEMO is here!

This is gonna be a nightmare to install! I have to remove a couple surface mount chips and then solder all the wires on the ribbon cable to the contact points. The instructions for this thing are mostly in English but I think I got the gist...we'll see!

In hindsight I should have just sold my FZ-10 and got the Goldstar 3DO version of the adapter which is just plug and play...

Wish me luck goons.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I would throw the Vectrex's hat in the ring for best failed console.

3DO was great, I was lucky to have one soon after it launched. I was young enough to not really understand/care the concept of a failed console at the time and later in it's life was getting games at EB for dirt cheap. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the 3DO was the best version of Street Fighter 2 on a console that I ever played and I was really into Street Fighter 2 at the time. When I was growing up I always thought it would be cool if games could use "real" music as their soundtrack, so even though it's not a great game I loved Way of the Warrior.

Wii U is a frustrating example where a great product doesn't necessarily mean it will be successful. It was also frustrating when a month after launch they already had a bundle that was a better value compared to what they offered at launch, and didn't do anything like with the 3DS to reward the early adopters. I would say about 80% of the must play games have been ported to the Switch, so it's just about to the point where you could have just skipped the Wii U entirely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Wii U was frustrating because there was a period of time where first party stuff on 3ds completely dried up because they pushed all their manpower towards the Wii U which was just assumed would sell like the wii did.

At the time I owned a 3ds and not the Wii U so I really hated it then.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Wii U was frustrating because there was a period of time where first party stuff on 3ds completely dried up because they pushed all their manpower towards the Wii U which was just assumed would sell like the wii did.

At the time I owned a 3ds and not the Wii U so I really hated it then.

It really makes sense why Nintendo combined their console and handheld divisions.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord
I keep hoping Nintendo will announce Super Mario Maker for the Switch, because that was basically the only video game I played for like an entire month or two. There's a 3DS port, but it feels kind of pointless since you can't share courses online, only locally with friends.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

It really makes sense why Nintendo combined their console and handheld divisions.

Honestly it does, and now that I’m over the honeymoon period with the switch I can honestly say I probably won’t buy a PS5 or XBOX 960. The switch and a PC is literally the perfect combo.

Also the thought of not having current gen stuff in portable form is now unacceptable to me. I took a business trip the day after Mario Odyssey released and it was so awesome playing a brand new Mario game on a plane and in the hotel that I just can’t do it any other way now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

absolutely anything posted:

i bought a wii u at launch and ended up using it more than my ps4 for the majority of its lifespan. wii u good

I still play it more than PS4. Do not listen to the raving lunatic who says it's bad because it didn't have enough numbers

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I don't think it was actually a complete and total merge. IIRC the handheld and console Zelda teams are still separate groups.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anyone excited for NES games coming to the switch with online play?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

KingEup posted:

FYI, this is the retro gaming thread, most of the consoles being discussed are dead.

Prices for Wii U are even lower now than when I bought mine: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/394957

Do you own a Wii U?

Uh I sold that trash console I got at launch because it was so bad dude? Didn't I just get done talking about how I had one at launch?

You're acting like I never played the thing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honestly it does, and now that I’m over the honeymoon period with the switch I can honestly say I probably won’t buy a PS5 or XBOX 960. The switch and a PC is literally the perfect combo.

Also the thought of not having current gen stuff in portable form is now unacceptable to me. I took a business trip the day after Mario Odyssey released and it was so awesome playing a brand new Mario game on a plane and in the hotel that I just can’t do it any other way now.

I have only played 4 games on PS4 that weren't also on Steam. It's crazy how obsolete traditional consoles are becoming.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
I posted a few months ago about trying to build a badass Gamecube setup, but gave up when I realised the cost of cables and modding, and settled on a Wii component cable setup instead.

This week, the Boot Sale Fairy appeared, and led me towards a middle-aged man, who was selling computer hardware, and a Gamecube capture card. We started talking Gamecube, and he tells me he actually has one for sale, and really needs the cash, but was really nervous about trying to sell it, because he spent the better part of his childhood pimping it out with mods :

It came with a, 251 slot memory card, Gameboy Player, the loving RGB cable and 2 nice controllers. It seems to be running 'qoob Pro sw1.3c', and has a micro USB slot on the back, which I assume runs into the mod-chip for some reasons I can't comprehend.

I know this isn't quite the holy grail of Gamecube finds, but it's better than anything I ever expected to be able to put together in the year 2018, I love it to bits, and I'd like to go the whole hog, and save up for the Component Cable and Hori Ditigal Controller.

Is there a middle-ground between the official controller and the Hori Digital Controller, which has a d-pad suitable for playing GBA games? I have a prosthetic thumb, so I'm super-picky about d-pads, and terrified of throwing down £120 on one, until I've had a chance to try it ^^;

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

There's an adapter by Raphnet that lets you use a SNES controller on the Gamecube/Wii/Wii-U/Switch: https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes_to_wii/index.php

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The Raphnet adaptor even has a special mode for GBA games, as select is usually mapped as the z button through it and obviously that is bad for GBA.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Hope nobody minds me cross posting from the art thread. Been drawing some retro fight mans, practise from ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Great K'. I love how SNK thought hard about how to make an even more badass main character aside from Terry, Kyo and Iori and actually succeeded.