Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Cool, thank you! Not sure why the guys at the shop sold me an ultralight reel. Maybe I'll do a little upgrade and donate this one to my father in law's boat shed.

I think the guys at the shop might have spooled 8 or 10 lbs test on it originally too because this 6 is casting way nicer. Maybe I should stop taking advice from the guys at the fishing store that's next door to the dispensary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

prom candy posted:

Cool, thank you! Not sure why the guys at the shop sold me an ultralight reel. Maybe I'll do a little upgrade and donate this one to my father in law's boat shed.

I think the guys at the shop might have spooled 8 or 10 lbs test on it originally too because this 6 is casting way nicer. Maybe I should stop taking advice from the guys at the fishing store that's next door to the dispensary...

Ultralight combos are super fun. They're really sensitive, accurate to cast short distances and make littler fish feel big. What rating is the rod (will say on it close to where it meets the handle)? Ultralight rod/reel combo will be challenging for pike, a 5lber will take a while to get in. That's exactly how people end up with so many rods. That ultralight will be great for small bass with a light/sensitive presentation like dropshot. A 7' medium/fast would complement it so you can swap to casting a bigger crank. Works a lot better for jigging 1/2oz jig + paddletails for lakers in the spring, casting 1/4oz paddletails a mile for bass/walleye or trolling cranks too.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The rod is a 6'6 medium/fast action and is rated for 6-12lbs test

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Went out surf fishing today and got about 25 whiting, 10 keepers, along with a few bonnet head sharks and lady fish. Used #1 circle hook pompano rigs, 4 oz lead, cut fresh dead shrimp up top and artificial clam strips (fish gum I call it) on the bottom. These guys will be fish tacos soon. Whiting is a great eating fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol you got some ladyfish? Isn’t that supposed to be some ultra hard to catch fly fishing only fishy?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

LingcodKilla posted:

Lol you got some ladyfish? Isn’t that supposed to be some ultra hard to catch fly fishing only fishy?

I dunno but I kind of doubt it. Have caught them on carolina-rigged mud minnows in the surf a few times myself (where, I should mention, they fought like goddamn beasts)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Caught two of them, both about 18 inches. One threw the hook right at the end (they're jumpers). Definitely lady fish, they're fairly common surf fish. They do fight really well but these were outgunned with heavy surf gear. I've heard they can be eaten but I don't. Are you thinking of bone fish?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I thought I had my issues with the clinch knot figured out, nope! Had another one unravel on me and lost a good fish. I think I'm a palomar man from now on. Also tied the canoeman knot a few times and liked it. I find the uniknot, trilene, and San Diego to all be a big pain in the rear end to tie. I don't have the finger dexterity.

I ordered some Ned rig tackle off amazon, have you guys fished that at all? Still kind of bummed at how much the fishing slowed down for our last week on the lake but I'm hopeful that I'll be able to get some fish on some of the public waters near our house. Also my wife caught her first "big" fish and seemed to really dig it so I'm hoping maybe I can get her interested in coming out with me when we're not on vacation. And that'll give me an excuse to buy a second rod and reel.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Bongwizzard, who was a resident bass expert here the last few years, used to swear by them. Mine always got hung up vegetation and downed trees

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Why hasn’t he been posting?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

No idea, he was awesome though. Always gave measured, friendly advice. He helped me a lot when I first got started so I try to pay it forward.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Ladyfish is a hard fighting trash fish. Nobody targets them except for bait, they are great cut bait and good bait for monster dock/pier snook and poons.

The third world eats any fish but this one really isn’t considered edible, coming from a guy who loves fish a lot of people turn their noses up to (bluefish, AJ). Like I’m kinda interested in keeping a sailcat to fry up but ladyfish is a no go.

They fight hard and bravely, they often foul hook themselves with multiple treble lures and tear themselves apart fighting.

E: autocorrect edit

tesilential fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 10, 2018

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hoping these storms push some pompano closer to shore. I haven't caught one since last fall. Redfish too, I hate jetty fishing because the tackle loss is too expensive but they do come into the surf sometimes and they're super fun to catch and delicious.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Bongwizzard, who was a resident bass expert here the last few years, used to swear by them. Mine always got hung up vegetation and downed trees

Z-man makes a weedless variety of the jighead, and I also saw a video of a guy who threaded line through the worm and then kinda rigged it Texas style. My inlaws' lake is absolutely brutal for snags with rocks and downed trees everywhere.

I was doing some Texas rigged senkos last week too but I had a couple of issues. One is that when you're running it along the bottom it's hard to feel what's a strike and what's just a rock or a branch that you're bumping against. The other is that a few times I would have fish just grab the end of the worm and not get hooked. Do I just need to run a big rear end hook? It feels weird in a lake where the big bass are like 1-2 pounds.

I like the Texas rig because it doesn't get snagged but I've had very, very few hookups on it compared to the weightless wacky. The reason I started running it is because a guy on reddit recommended running baits along the bottom when bass stop biting the wacky rig.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

prom candy posted:

Z-man makes a weedless variety of the jighead, and I also saw a video of a guy who threaded line through the worm and then kinda rigged it Texas style. My inlaws' lake is absolutely brutal for snags with rocks and downed trees everywhere.

I was doing some Texas rigged senkos last week too but I had a couple of issues. One is that when you're running it along the bottom it's hard to feel what's a strike and what's just a rock or a branch that you're bumping against. The other is that a few times I would have fish just grab the end of the worm and not get hooked. Do I just need to run a big rear end hook? It feels weird in a lake where the big bass are like 1-2 pounds.

I like the Texas rig because it doesn't get snagged but I've had very, very few hookups on it compared to the weightless wacky. The reason I started running it is because a guy on reddit recommended running baits along the bottom when bass stop biting the wacky rig.

Are they official senkos? I can nail fish with whatever cheap plastic on wacky rig, but Texas I always need those official $1.25 worms.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
They are like 1/3 of the size of a Senko and made of a very different material, that is almost stretchy (?).

I have a few heads and some bags of bait but haven’t tried yet...

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Oh I know, you can't use senkos on Zman stuff because the Zman baits float. They're designed to hang vertically on the Ned rig and make it bounce better.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Holy poo poo tying knots with 6lb mono is so hard!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

prom candy posted:

Holy poo poo tying knots with 6lb mono is so hard!

Fly leader tippets for brook trout are like gossamer. I have no idea how I used to be so adept at tying on flies. Oh yeah... Youth.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm just gonna buy a bait caster and only throw big lures on 80lb mono

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bought a new kayak. 10ft sit on top at dicks for 164. Gonna give it a spin tomorrow.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
$164?! What is it?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

$164?! What is it?

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/future-beach-discovery-104-sit-on-top-angler-kayak-16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk/16fbeudscvrynglrkpsk

I thinks mine is a 124 model but I got the discount.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pretty drat decent for $124. If it's anything like the future beach I fart around in up at the cottage it'll be slow and track like poo poo, but it looks like it'll be easier to set up for fishing. Mine's an 8'6" sit-in and just too small and cramped to do much with besides bring one rod and a handful of lures and fish for an hour or so.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

No I’m sorry it was $164 the model number is 124.

I’m using it as smaller platform to throw and check my crab traps. Also I just like being on the water. I may start to fish from it but I don’t expect much. My location on the sound is super protected and there’s a very deep very sudden drop off close to shore.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well for under $200 it's still gonna be awesome. Let us know how it is, maybe I can track one down before I drop like $1000 on a pescador pro

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This is a bandaid to prevent me from dropping huge money on a peddle yak. It’s exactly what I need for my current way of fishing.
However... This won’t last forever.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That’ll track MUCH better than an 8’6” sit in. Dicks kayaks have been the best deal running deal for years. Have fun!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Ahaha that site straight up blocks me due to GDPR... lol... that sure is one solution to avoid having to protect customer data

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We don't have dicks in Canada (lol) but someone else must sell future beach since my inlaws have them. I'm sure that's like a $400 kayak in Canada though.

Also thinking I want to buy a second rod and reel so I can have one set up for plastics and one for top water or lures. Since my current rod/reel is so light I was thinking of maybe doing a bait casting setup with a heavier rod and some heavier line. Is it stupid to try to run two rigs if I'm mainly bank fishing? Also would that kind of set up make sense as a good second rig and a complement to an ultralight spinning rig? I fish for bass almost exclusively so far but I'd like to catch pike, musky, walleye, trout, you name it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm planning on adding another baitcasting setup to my fishing setup for throwing jigs, topwaters, frogs, etc. This would be in addition to a mh/xf baitcasting setup for an all arounder and a med light spinning setup for more finesse stuff. All of which gets hauled with me when I fish, unless I know what I'm gonna throw and its doable with one rod.p

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well it took a lot but you convinced me, bought a setup at the local place this evening. Can't wait to get horribly backlashed!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Just bought two new cheap Shimanos for my surf rigs and a pound of fresh dead shrimp. Gonna fish the Florence effects tomorrow. Still think it's too warm for pompano though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

King of Bees posted:

Just bought two new cheap Shimanos for my surf rigs and a pound of fresh dead shrimp. Gonna fish the Florence effects tomorrow. Still think it's too warm for pompano though.

Good luck. Take some pics of the surf

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Will do. All my surfer friends have been taking days off work and poo poo to go out. Might have to really plus up on the weight. Can usually get away with four ounces of lead.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

King of Bees posted:

Will do. All my surfer friends have been taking days off work and poo poo to go out. Might have to really plus up on the weight. Can usually get away with four ounces of lead.

I draw the line at casting more than four ounces. My brother has an eight and bait rig, but that's too much like exercise for me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Been planning all week for my first salmon fishing trip tomorrow except oh wait full production run at work, surprise!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My plan this time last week was to hit the Bogue Inlet Pier. Doesn't look like anyone will be hitting it for awhile :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

Been planning all week for my first salmon fishing trip tomorrow except oh wait full production run at work, surprise!

I take it you no longer work at a gas station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Kinda thought we'd see some churn and clouds down here from Florence. Nope. Flattest i ever seen this beach. Since the waves sucked the fishing was pretty garbage. Got three keeper whiting. Probably caught 30 lovely catfish and half a dozen bonnet heads. My son landed the world's smallest pompano, which was odd with this hot water. Did hang out with a cool crab and found a few nice shark teeth.