Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rename it over 219.css instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

here I thought the booth across from mine with the slogan “interneting every object” was good

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Schadenboner posted:

Utter garbo. Death to amberpos.
Amber is the color of truth and happiness.

And piiiiiiiissssssss

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amber is the color of my energy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Schadenboner posted:

Utter garbo. Death to amberpos.

please don’t do introduction posts

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Amber is the ocean in which your bloodline will drown.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

piss energy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gonna charge up my piss crystals

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i think that’s called kidney stones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm interpreting this as after #8 it wraps back up to column 2 and you continue through dark yellow, gray, green, and finally red

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i think that’s called kidney stones

or ripping friends

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rjmccall posted:

the internet has definitely shifted in ways that make people’s shittiness harder to avoid. it was always there if you went somewhere where they were talking about “politics”, but a lot of the internet was organized into communities dedicated to specific topics, and the “elders” would try hard to keep things on topic because they knew from experience that if they didn’t the politics would quickly crowd everything else out and probably piss people off enough to fracture the community. but social media doesn’t really have a set topic, and it doesn’t naturally organize into self-conscious communities or grow “elders” who feel any ownership over how the overall site is going, so everywhere is contaminated with the same shittiness as the old politics groups

no this is super fake, things that are rightfully considered awful today were completely fine with most of the population not long ago

like you didnt even have a whole half of the country say interracial marriage at all is ok until the late 90s.

Gynocentric Regime posted:

This is the thought I was trying to convey. Before Facebook and Twitter there were forums invasions sure but you weren't forced to share space with people who hate you.

lol again this is totally fake unless what you mean is that you really did only stay on tiny places noone knew about, which you can still do if you really want to.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i used to mod a pretty big aphex twin forum called joyrex (now watmm.com i think) in the 90s and i dont remember any racism there (& ive always been sensitive about it)

lots of chris morris chat tho

the dumbrella boards were cool as well

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

President Beep posted:

Need to see a pic wearing a crystal before I waste my time

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

no this is super fake, things that are rightfully considered awful today were completely fine with most of the population not long ago

like you didnt even have a whole half of the country say interracial marriage at all is ok until the late 90s.

i'm not saying it was a more civilized and less racist age, because it wasn't. but the experience of participating in a topically-oriented community like a bboard or a usenet group or a forum is very different from the experience of participating in a social network. the good folks at rec.arts.beckett.wait.wait.wait usually didn't just suddenly start talking about how much they hate miscegenation, so you might never have found out how racist they were unless you, like, happened to check out alt.fourteen.eighty.eight and saw them posting there. but on twitter you follow someone because they made a good joke on some viral thread and then you find out they like to unironically retweet milo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fishmech posted:

yo ps, 40% of the country is still not a-ok with interracial marriage 20 years later

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

rjmccall posted:

i'm not saying it was a more civilized and less racist age, because it wasn't. but the experience of participating in a topically-oriented community like a bboard or a usenet group or a forum is very different from the experience of participating in a social network. the good folks at rec.arts.beckett.wait.wait.wait usually didn't just suddenly start talking about how much they hate miscegenation, so you might never have found out how racist they were unless you, like, happened to check out alt.fourteen.eighty.eight and saw them posting there. but on twitter you follow someone because they made a good joke on some viral thread and then you find out they like to unironically retweet milo

I think another factor in this is that at the time the internet felt downstream from "real life" and now it feels definitively upstream

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

rjmccall posted:

uhhh no this is super bogus. and again a lot of the stuff that is now shocking as it should be you totally would have ignored back then. most groups would go offtopic all the time or people would inject their hangups whenever the topic even came close.

one particularly salient example would be how any group involved with media would tend to have a bunch of complainign about hollywood liberals or whatever, or people sucking off some fasho cut rate heinlein etc

its easier than ever now to actually go and hide yourself away from weird bigoted people intruding on your stuff because the internet's simply so much larger and its easy to put together niche communities where in the before-times you would need to result to general-audience stuff more often.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

here I thought the booth across from mine with the slogan “interneting every object” was good

did you buy this account from someone recently or something?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

I guess I'm more surprised that grunge music has solidly entered the world of "dad rock", but you know they carefully curated that set list not to include anything too controversial. For a minute when the band started playing a pearl jam song I thought it was jeremy but it was still alive.

the song about a guy loving his mum is uncontroversial?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

overhydration is becoming a more and more significant health issue because apparently people cannot loving begin to grasp the idea of moderation in anything ever

for the record perfectly clear urine is not good, and you should not exceed 3 liters of fluid a day on the regular

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

i used to mod a pretty big aphex twin forum called joyrex (now watmm.com i think) in the 90s and i dont remember any racism there (& ive always been sensitive about it)

you are a cool dude

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

overhydration is becoming a more and more significant health issue because apparently people cannot loving begin to grasp the idea of moderation in anything ever

for the record perfectly clear urine is not good, and you should not exceed 3 liters of fluid a day on the regular

To be fair this is directed at athletes who are going to lose a huge amount of salt and water through sweating so it's not as bad as some office drone pounding 2 gallons of water a day and getting kidney pain

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fishmech posted:

uhhh no this is super bogus. and again a lot of the stuff that is now shocking as it should be you totally would have ignored back then. most groups would go offtopic all the time or people would inject their hangups whenever the topic even came close.

one particularly salient example would be how any group involved with media would tend to have a bunch of complainign about hollywood liberals or whatever, or people sucking off some fasho cut rate heinlein etc

its easier than ever now to actually go and hide yourself away from weird bigoted people intruding on your stuff because the internet's simply so much larger and its easy to put together niche communities where in the before-times you would need to result to general-audience stuff more often.

Those of us who were there for it would make aggressive use of "kill thread" functionality for the off topic crap that didn't entertain us and if someone was annoying enough with starting new threads, they'd eventually earn a rule to kill all threads started by them.

I recently started reading some (still!) active newsgroups again lately for the first time in probably ten years and I still way prefer the experience to anything else. Quote trimming, bottom posting, threading, subject changes when appropriate (frickin' Gmail).

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

James Baud posted:

Those of us who were there for it would make aggressive use of "kill thread" functionality for the off topic crap that didn't entertain us and if someone was annoying enough with starting new threads, they'd eventually earn a rule to kill all threads started by them.

I recently started reading some (still!) active newsgroups again lately for the first time in probably ten years and I still way prefer the experience to anything else. Quote trimming, bottom posting, threading, subject changes when appropriate (frickin' Gmail).

man, you fooled me into the rather difficult task of making it onto usenet, only to discover that for any of my areas of interest it remains absolutely irredeemable trash, as i should have realized beforehand

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Amphigory posted:

you are a cool dude

:wrong:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

man, you fooled me into the rather difficult task of making it onto usenet, only to discover that for any of my areas of interest it remains absolutely irredeemable trash, as i should have realized beforehand

so you're saying the people who like things that you like are irredeemable trash? checks out.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

thank's, i like watmm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:stare:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fishmech posted:

lol again this is totally fake unless what you mean is that you really did only stay on tiny places noone knew about, which you can still do if you really want to.
yeah why do you think we're all here??

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

lol this is so fake and not a thing. overhydration isn't a significant health issue, it's rare as hell. you should probably drink if you're thirsty regardless of the quantity you're drinking. the body can easily process a liter an hour. so maybe try to stay under six gallons a day and you'll be fine.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I think another factor in this is that at the time the internet felt downstream from "real life" and now it feels definitively upstream

President Beep posted:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

To be fair this is directed at athletes who are going to lose a huge amount of salt and water through sweating so it's not as bad as some office drone pounding 2 gallons of water a day and getting kidney pain

this is rather the opposite of the issue, athletes are the ones who are liable to overdo it badly http://www.mdalert.com/article/every-year-more-athletes-are-injured-by-hyponatremia-than-dehydration https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092727.htm

as muckswirler correctly noted; drink according to thirst and you'll be fine, but drinking a lot at once (the body can't really store a lot of extra water, so your kidneys just have to go full tilt to get rid of it again) or despite not being thirsty at minimum has no benefit and worst-case carries health risks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

yeah theseare 320 pound guys who are gonna go through the water like crazy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...6a190zn9lsy6zkh

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

this is rather the opposite of the issue, athletes are the ones who are liable to overdo it badly http://www.mdalert.com/article/every-year-more-athletes-are-injured-by-hyponatremia-than-dehydration https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150709092727.htm

as muckswirler correctly noted; drink according to thirst and you'll be fine, but drinking a lot at once (the body can't really store a lot of extra water, so your kidneys just have to go full tilt to get rid of it again) or despite not being thirsty at minimum has no benefit and worst-case carries health risks

these athletes must be from wussy cold weather states where you don't have to attempt to radiate thermal energy into an environment that is 15 degrees warmer than your body temperature and also 80% humidity.

UT football players coming off the field in the the beginning of the season just look like they've jumped in a lake. The water isn't going to waste, hence the sign.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

yeah theseare 320 pound guys who are gonna go through the water like crazy.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa...6a190zn9lsy6zkh

'full body cramp' is a pretty :rolleyes: way to describe heat exhaustion (and probably dehydration) so bad it requires a visit to the ICU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

WTF is an athlete? I survive off Diet Coke just fine, what makes them so different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Always feel bad for the huge dudes doing up-downs and running laps etc. WRs and DBs just springing along and the linemen always look like they are moments from death.