Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

Look you excuse your proclamations that people who interpret the sacred tomes of D&D differently from you aren't true fans however you want.

Again, like, five minutes tops on any social media site will quell whatever weird assumptions you have about people getting into the deep nitty gritty Forgotten Realms lore when making their drow OCs.

I don’t necessarily have the right interpretation myself Cirno. But it’s important to point out that interpretation and retransmission of the text through reinterpretation is a fundamentally different idea than the text itself. That’s what I’m trying to establish for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey uh I feel we should perhaps refresh our memories in what this argument is about.
Stage 1) the specific implementation of Drow's light sensitivity is garbage for fun and playability
Various normal response included "Yes, here's exactly why it's bad", "Yes, here's better way's it could have been done", and "No, you're overstating the issue, they work fine" (with a side of "Waiting balanced, functioning races is like wanting everyone to just be reckoned humans.
Then Tremek posted a screed about how Drow are unfun to play on purpose to punish people who play Drow and to discourage them from playing them, which has precedent (see 3.x monks). This was upgraded to insane screed when he declared that this was a good thing, and that it must be a good thing since 5e is selling better than 4e, but that 4e selling better than 3.x does not mean that 4e was doing anything right.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 13, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

I don’t necessarily have the right interpretation myself Cirno. But it’s important to point out that interpretation and retransmission of the text through reinterpretation is a fundamentally different idea than the text itself. That’s what I’m trying to establish for you.
i understand you think talking like this makes you look smart, but it actually makes you look intensely, intensely stupid. also the d&d setting is a bunch of weird pseudo-racist tripe written by old white dudes who havent had an original thought since before et for the atari was released

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Splicer posted:

Hey uh I feel we should perhaps refresh our memories in what this argument is about.
Stage 1) the specific implementation of Drow's light sensitivity is garbage for fun and playability
Various normal response included "Yes, here's exactly why it's bad", "Yes, here's better way's it could have been done", and "No, you're overstating the issue, they work fine" (with a side of "Waiting balanced, functioning races is like wanting everyone to just be reckoned humans.
Then Tremek posted a screed about how Drow are unfun to play on purpose to punish people who play Drow and to discourage them from playing them, which has precedent (see 3.x monks). This was upgraded to insane screed when he declared that this was a good thing, and that it must be a good thing since 5e is selling better than 4e, but that 4e selling better than 3.x does not mean that 4e was doing anything right.

I was only here for the last two points honestly because lol what the gently caress

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

havent had an original thought since before et for the atari was released

Planescape and Spelljammer tho.

Haha holy poo poo can you imagine what would happen if Spelljammer were a brand new thing that was released this year?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Planescape and Spelljammer tho.

Haha holy poo poo can you imagine what would happen if Spelljammer were a brand new thing that was released this year?

those settings are kinda cool but also they're hardly the mainstream D&D setting and even they require some tweaking/fuckery to work as campaign settings imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jesus Christ

E: as in I hope he comes back as a drow

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 13, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

My bad, I was trying to argue that the Drow thing (and by extension all fantasy race elements and similar setting type stuff) was not inherent to D&D and could be treated as entirely optional.

I can see how it came across that I was saying that you can replace every fictive aspect of D&D with something else and still have it be D&D. That wasn't what I was aiming for.

I mean "Our elves are different" is the most basic orignal-setting element imaginable, and it sounded like you were arguing that that was somehow no longer D&D.

It isn’t D&D - the printed text that describes the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons as a game. Saying “our elves are different” is definitely not that text either, nor is it a reinterpretation because you are explicitly replacing part of the original text with your own.

And that’s fine! D&D tells you to do that, and has limited examples of how such a thing might be done.

But it’s not the essential text and core idea of D&D any more.

Now if you return to the original post of yours I responded to you weren’t saying that people would be playing a different elf in an adaptation of D&D. You were saying that people disavow engaging with the original text at all, that that is acceptable and were furthermore suggesting that their disavowal of engagement should somehow be taken as a weakness of the original text!

My response to you is that that is formally unacceptable to suggest that people can skate by without interpreting the original text, and that not interpreting the text is doing themselves and other players a disservice. It’s not about imagination. If you want to play the game you need to read the rules and follow them. If you all agree to change the rules then follow those.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tremek posted:

PS I never said this and suspect you're just confused
You were using 5e's sales as evidence of why everything in 5e is above reproach, so I was using this metric to apply 4e's consistent (until Mearles took the reins) placement above all the competition, and indeed continued presence as a revenue stream, as either a refutation of your statement of 4e as a nadir or refutation of sales being the metric of "doing things right". I'm embarrassed that this fairly basic rhetorical gambit needed to be explained to you and I kind of feel bad for arguing with you now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have a dog in the fight of whether or not D&D "has a setting", but if you are in the camp that says that D&D is "generic", then the Drow is a non-issue: drop the penalty, do whatever you want, and the player gets to play dark-skinned elves.

If you aren't, then the Drow should have penalties, because that's what the Drow have been established as, and we're right back to the question of "what kind of penalty could we apply that works better than what WOTC wrote-in themselves"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Jesus Christ

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

i understand you think talking like this makes you look smart, but it actually makes you look intensely, intensely stupid. also the d&d setting is a bunch of weird pseudo-racist tripe written by old white dudes who havent had an original thought since before et for the atari was released

I have an actual degree in English. Do you have a degree or other study in cultural studies as a modern field? If you don’t that’s fine, but don’t be pointlessly insulting to cover for your lack of engagement when concepts you’re not familiar with are being discussed. I’m not going to dumb down my argument because you want to play lowest common denominator.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't really have a dog in the fight of whether or not D&D "has a setting", but if you are in the camp that says that D&D is "generic", then the Drow is a non-issue: drop the penalty, do whatever you want, and the player gets to play dark-skinned elves.

If you aren't, then the Drow should have penalties, because that's what the Drow have been established as, and we're right back to the question of "what kind of penalty could we apply that works better than what WOTC wrote-in themselves"

Sunlight Sensitivity is a fine penalty for a nocturnal/underground race; any problem with it is more a problem with the core mechanic 'advantage' itself.

If you are in it just to play a black elf then palette swap High Elf and keep the mechanics the same.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sunlight Sensitivity is a fine penalty for a nocturnal/underground race; any problem with it is more a problem with the core mechanic 'advantage' itself.

agreed!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah disadvantage is just harsh for the modest advantages that being adrow conveys in 5e.

advantage and disadvantage is a fantastic mechanic, it's just over tuned here.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 13, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

I have an actual degree in English.
is that why you spend all your time getting mad about forgotten realms lore instead of doing something productive

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

It isn’t D&D - the printed text that describes the 5th edition of Dungeons and Dragons as a game. Saying “our elves are different” is definitely not that text either, nor is it a reinterpretation because you are explicitly replacing part of the original text with your own.

And that’s fine! D&D tells you to do that, and has limited examples of how such a thing might be done.

But it’s not the essential text and core idea of D&D any more.

Now if you return to the original post of yours I responded to you weren’t saying that people would be playing a different elf in an adaptation of D&D. You were saying that people disavow engaging with the original text at all, that that is acceptable and were furthermore suggesting that their disavowal of engagement should somehow be taken as a weakness of the original text!

My response to you is that that is formally unacceptable to suggest that people can skate by without interpreting the original text, and that not interpreting the text is doing themselves and other players a disservice. It’s not about imagination. If you want to play the game you need to read the rules and follow them. If you all agree to change the rules then follow those.

"I wanna be the goth dude with the cool daggers" shouldn't be a problem.

If you, the DM, mention that those guys are all weird cultists slavers and the player says "Can we just not with that part? I just like the look, I wanna be the goth elf", it really, really, shouldn't be a problem for you to say "yeah, no worries'. This is not "disavowal of engagement", this is wanting the goth elf aesthetic without the cultist slaver background.

You can do this and still have it really and truly be real D&D even if the imagined world isn't as it appears in your favorite setting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

is that why you spend all your time getting mad about forgotten realms lore instead of doing something productive

It looks like you also don’t have much better going on at 6am. Nice try though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arivia posted:

It looks like you also don’t have much better going on at 6am. Nice try though.
i have a degree in shitposting

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Also anyone who wants to be the goth dude with cool daggers won't be upset to be told "OK but be aware that you prefer the night and dark places". The problem is when it becomes "OK we're above ground, please be aware that G'oth D'aggers is going to Suck poo poo for the next several sessions and this pattern will repeat throughout the campaign"

e: so far my phone has corrected "Goth dude" to "girl dude" and somehow "gotherwise"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 13, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

sebmojo posted:

Yeah disadvantage is just harsh for the modest advantages that being adrow conveys in 5e.

advantage and disadvantage is a fantastic mechanic, it's just over tuned here.

Honestly, I'm kinda down on disadvantage simply because of the edge case of rolling a 20. That feels way worse then advantage scoring you a crit feels good. But yes, it's clearly a) way too much of a hit, and b) applies to way too many things.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Endorph posted:

i have a degree in shitposting
I have no shitposting credentials but I do have over a decade of shitposting industry experience

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

Also anyone who wants to be the goth dude with cool daggers won't be upset to be told "OK but be aware that you prefer the night and dark places". The problem is when it becomes "OK we're above ground, please be aware that G'oth D'aggers is going to Suck poo poo for the next several sessions and this pattern will repeat throughout the campaign"

e: so far my phone has corrected "Goth dude" to "girl dude" and somehow "gotherwise"

Yeah that would also suck, but the specific problem I'm having is where you apparently can't be a goth elf without also having the weirdo/cultist/slaver background baggage and have the game still be really D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

If you, the DM, mention that those guys are all weird cultists slavers and the player says "Can we just not with that part? I just like the look, I wanna be the goth elf", it really, really, shouldn't be a problem for you to say "yeah, no worries'. This is not "disavowal of engagement", this is wanting the goth elf aesthetic without the cultist slaver background.

You can do this and still have it really and truly be real D&D even if the imagined world isn't as it appears in your favorite setting.

You’re repeatedly making this error so I’m going to make it very clear. A willingness to replace part of the text (the game) when adapting it (through play) does not replace the activity of interpreting the original text nor does it make that original text moot. You, personally, might not like the original text, but it still exists (and in the case of something like the 5e rulebooks, is inviolate.)

You are repeatedly endorsing a refusal to engage with the original text whether it be in play or in a critical reading. You are trying to elide this as a function of “imagination” without examining that mechanism at all or its repercussions for interpretations of the original text. This is unacceptable. You are repeatedly trying to mislead and confuse the argument with that elision. This is also unacceptable.

You may not like the original D&D text, or its configuration of the drow. That is fine. You may change these things for your own game. That is fine. But do not conflate and confuse your personal opinions with the critical examination of the text and the drow as a character therein.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

sebmojo posted:

advantage and disadvantage is a fantastic mechanic

It is not. Its impact is too great to work as a core 'rule-of-thumb' mechanic to determine whether something is gonna be easier or harder than normal, and they implemented it as a substitute to virtually all granularity in the system.

See SotDL's Boons and Banes mechanic if you actually want to see something fantastic for a d20 system.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ProfessorCirno posted:

Honestly, I'm kinda down on disadvantage simply because of the edge case of rolling a 20. That feels way worse then advantage scoring you a crit feels good. But yes, it's clearly a) way too much of a hit, and b) applies to way too many things.
A roll with disadvantage where you roll a lost 20 should be better than one where you don't. If the other die misses it should count as a hit, and if the other hits it should still count as a crit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

My phone keeps thinking I’m talking about Nicki Minaj and also Massive Attack for some reason. Right now it just suggested botnets out of nowhere. It’s really bad at picking up words I’m reading.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

You’re repeatedly making this error so I’m going to make it very clear. A willingness to replace part of the text (the game) when adapting it (through play) does not replace the activity of interpreting the original text nor does it make that original text moot. You, personally, might not like the original text, but it still exists (and in the case of something like the 5e rulebooks, is inviolate.)

You are repeatedly endorsing a refusal to engage with the original text whether it be in play or in a critical reading. You are trying to elide this as a function of “imagination” without examining that mechanism at all or its repercussions for interpretations of the original text. This is unacceptable. You are repeatedly trying to mislead and confuse the argument with that elision. This is also unacceptable.

You may not like the original D&D text, or its configuration of the drow. That is fine. You may change these things for your own game. That is fine. But do not conflate and confuse your personal opinions with the critical examination of the text and the drow as a character therein.

Before I respond, I'd just like to know if the goalposts are in their final location yet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Before I respond, I'd just like to know if the goalposts are in their final location yet.

Are you kidding me? You’re the one who has been moving them this entire time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Conspiratiorist posted:

It is not. Its impact is too great to work as a core 'rule-of-thumb' mechanic to determine whether something is gonna be easier or harder than normal, and they implemented it as a substitute to virtually all granularity in the system.

See SotDL's Boons and Banes mechanic if you actually want to see something fantastic for a d20 system.

It is a fun and immediately legible mechanic to engage with, and produces drama without any math.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arivia posted:

Are you kidding me? You’re the one who has been moving them this entire time.

My contention is that it's still really and truly D&D if the aesthetic and fiction of the drow are separated so that you can have the one without the other.

Your contention is...

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 13, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah that would also suck, but the specific problem I'm having is where you apparently can't be a goth elf without also having the weirdo/cultist/slaver background baggage and have the game still be really D&D.
That's just Arivia being Arivia, realmslore is her Thing and I'm fine with that. I'm all about the new hotness where this is soft-enforced by the rules providing playable Drow but making them mechanically bad to play and apparently this being on purpose (possible) and a good thing (ahahaha)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 13, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

My phone keeps thinking I’m talking about Nicki Minaj and also Massive Attack for some reason. Right now it just suggested botnets out of nowhere. It’s really bad at picking up words I’m reading.
I just... Gotherwise. It seems like it should be a word to me now.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

It is a fun and immediately legible mechanic to engage with, and produces drama without any math.

"add/remove a die to/from your roll" is cool and good as far as making it easy to remember to do while also feeling significant, but the fact that it's an entire whole d20 makes the whole thing very swingy, and then the fact that it also does not stack makes it difficult to work with under certain circumstances.

As Conspirationist said, SOTDL's Banes and Boons system can be looked at as a sort of iteration on this idea since it uses d6's instead of new d20s, and they can stack/cancel each other out piecewise.

Or, to put it another way, a -2 penalty (or even a "d4 penalty") for Sunlight Sensitivity would be more manageable, but an effective -5 to your attack rolls and locking you out of any Advantage-granting effects is really quite strong for something that's not momentary.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

My contention is that it's still really and truly D&D if the aesthetic and fiction of the drow are separated so that you can have the one without the other. This is demonstrated by different settings that include different fantasy races or different takes on existing fantasy races still really and truly being Real Dungeons and Dragons.

Your contention is...

Okay, over the last two pages you have completely changed your argument and are refusing to address your original statement. You have shifted the goalposts and are being disingenuous. Fine. I’m done wasting my time with you if you won’t participate in good faith.

I tried to respect you and your argument and deal with you fairly. I won’t bother again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

"add/remove a die to/from your roll" is cool and good as far as making it easy to remember to do while also feeling significant, but the fact that it's an entire whole d20 makes the whole thing very swingy, and then the fact that it also does not stack makes it difficult to work with under certain circumstances.

As Conspirationist said, SOTDL's Banes and Boons system can be looked at as a sort of iteration on this idea since it uses d6's instead of new d20s, and they can stack/cancel each other out piecewise.

Or, to put it another way, a -2 penalty (or even a "d4 penalty") for Sunlight Sensitivity would be more manageable, but an effective -5 to your attack rolls and locking you out of any Advantage-granting effects is really quite strong for something that's not momentary.
It means Drow Rogue is a really bad combo which makes total sense. Also nothing says fun like a 0.025% chance to crit.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 13, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
yo is it pronounced drow as in 'ow that hurt' or drow as in 'row your boat'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gradenko_2000 posted:

Doesn't it just mean you need two sources of advantage?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

sebmojo posted:

No, advantage doesn't stack like that, it's basically a flag, you either have advantage or you don't. If you have sources of 10 advantage and 1 of disadvantage, they still cancel out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

No. Multiple sources of Disadvantage only count as one, and multiple sources of Advantage only count as one, and if you have both, you roll a single d20.

A Drow under Sunlight Sensitivity cannot ever get Advantage - they can only neuter the Disadvantage.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 13, 2018