Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I disagree with that statement very strongly.

https://scryfall.com/sets/grn?order=usd

Eh, that list has assassins trophy, shocks, and maybe legion warboss that moves the meter at all for me.

whydirt posted:

The set feels aimed toward limited so far because we’ve gotten relatively more common and uncommon spoilers compared to most preview seasons. This thread is getting worse than MTGSalvation.

A 1/3 of the cards have been spoiled. If m19 is any measuring stick, the most interesting cards were spoiled fairly early. This poo poo is a loving snorefest currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If it Surveils over a Narcomeba it's almost Snapcaster.

Interested in seeing if it does anything fun with alternate casting costs.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

This set is feeling not very deep in constructed playables so far. This set seems to be limited focused to the max. That seems great for digital and bad for paper.

When people talk about constructed should I assume that they arn't talking about standard? KLD, AER, AKH, and HOU are all rotating out, plus the power level of cards in XLN , RIX, DOM, M19 all considered less powerful; wouldn't that mean, by default, that it leaves a ton of space for GRN to dominate standard?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I am super high on this card. I think it's going to be really, really good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cheen posted:

When people talk about constructed should I assume that they arn't talking about standard? KLD, AER, AKH, and HOU are all rotating out, plus the power level of cards in XLN , RIX, DOM, M19 all considered less powerful; wouldn't that mean, by default, that it leaves a ton of space for GRN to dominate standard?

If the power level isn’t there then cards from earlier more powerful sets will just fill that gap instead.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

If the power level isn’t there then cards from earlier more powerful sets will just fill that gap instead.

Well, yeah.

But those sets are XLN, RIX, DOM, and M19.

So I'd wager Guilds is about to completely dictate what are the dominant strategies for Standard. Or at least the dominant strategy for any deck not running Teferi.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I get that, for sure. It's just that all I've heard is how "meh" XLN, RIX, DOM, and M19 were and how the sets that are rotating out dominated the format.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

This is reeeeeeeeally good. Also, can someone inform me why the "choose" wording is better than "target"?

Necronomicon fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 13, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
If it's one thing WOTC can do to entice me into playing it's go back to the Ravnica well again :-3 I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Gruul!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Necronomicon posted:

This is reeeeeeeeally good. Also, can someone inform me why the "choose" wording is better than "target"?

If it targeted then you couldn't cast something you put in the graveyard with the surveil.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I like this. I'm surprised Dimir seems to get value from Surveil from these triggers rather than graveyard interactions.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

gets around silent gravestone, too

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If it targeted then you couldn't cast something you put in the graveyard with the surveil.

More generally, 'choose' happens during resolution, while targeting happens before a spell is cast. So it let's you choose a surveiled card as OFS said, but it also means your opponent can't interact with the card you choose like they can DRS your snapcaster target.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I can't believe dimir finally has a constructed playable mechanic

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Wow

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I like this a lot.

I know people thought UB Midrange would die with Scarab God etc rotating out, but it seems like they'll have plenty of material from this set alone.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I like this. I'm surprised Dimir seems to get value from Surveil from these triggers rather than graveyard interactions.

Dimir aren't the graveyard guild, and there's already two graveyard-interacting keywords in the set. Dimir were always more likely to get something that cared about the cards involved in the mechanic then those cards hitting the graveyard. That's in line with their past mechanics too.

e: That said, if Jumpstart ever stops making GBS threads the bed and reveals some REAL cards, the interactions between Surveil and Jumpstart could make Grixis midrange/control really nasty.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 13, 2018

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

The whole point of snapcaster is the extra mana gets you ahead on board and gives value and can trade. Surveil 2 isn’t close to that and the casting cost is more restrictive. In standard I’m not seeing why I wouldn’t just want to put draw spells and efficient cards in my deck instead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

InterrupterJones posted:

I like this a lot.

I know people thought UB Midrange would die with Scarab God etc rotating out, but it seems like they'll have plenty of material from this set alone.

An ahead-of-rate fl'ampler body with at-will manaless topdeck fixing seems... quite good. Still has the "dies when you kill it" problem of any expensive monster that isn't a God, but still seems borderline constructed playable.

Obviously an insane windmill slam bomb in limited.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

An ahead-of-rate fl'ampler body with at-will manaless topdeck fixing seems... quite good. Still has the "dies when you kill it" problem of any expensive monster that isn't a God, but still seems borderline constructed playable.

Obviously an insane windmill slam bomb in limited.

I think the years of standard with the Ixalan gods has ruined what people should expect to see with 4-5 mana creatures. This guy seems real good because even if he does get killed, you can at least get some card manipulation out of it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Marketing New Brain posted:

The whole point of snapcaster is the extra mana gets you ahead on board and gives value and can trade. Surveil 2 isn’t close to that and the casting cost is more restrictive. In standard I’m not seeing why I wouldn’t just want to put draw spells and efficient cards in my deck instead.

So in modern right now, the UW deck is playing Terminus as a 4 of, and always loves more ways to find it. This does things snapcaster can't/dosn't, such as:

1) Chain together in multiple copies
2) Psuedo-draw 2 to look for spells not currently in hand or graveyard. (For example, on 6 mana this might let you Verdict whereas snap might be a dead card)
3) Can't be responded to via surgical or similar unless the opponent in advance tries to guess the card you want (which won't even guarantee that you can't cast a spell)
4) Fill the GY for more spells/azcanta
5) Let you logic knot for 2 off of just a logic knot in your GY
6) Actual card filtering/selection on top of your flashback spell (rather than a 2/1 body). Setting up terminus, or just digging for things more relevant than a 2/1.
7) Prowess triggers for mentor/etc, also you can find it off azcanta

I'm not pretending this card replaces snapcaster in every deck in the slightest. Jeskai, for example, probably never plays this card over snap. However it's a straight mistake to think that this card isn't in some ways MORE powerful, and that there are already shells that want this over snap.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 13, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

So in modern right now, the UW deck is playing Terminus as a 4 of, and always loves more ways to find it. This does things snapcaster can't/dosn't, such as:

1) Chain together in multiple copies
2) Psuedo-draw 2 to look for spells not currently in hand or graveyard. (For example, on 6 mana this might let you Verdict whereas snap might be a dead card)
3) Can't be responded to via surgical or similar unless the opponent in advance tries to guess the card you want, which won't even guarantee that you can't cast a spell)
4) Fill the GY for more spells.
5) Let you logic knot for 2 off of just a logic knot in your GY
6) Actual card filtering/selection on top of your flashback spell (rather than a 2/1 body). Setting up terminus, or just digging for things more relevant than a 2/1.

I'm not pretending this card replaces snapcaster in every deck in the slightest. Jeskai, for example, probably never plays this card over snap. However it's a straight mistake to think that this card isn't in some ways MORE powerful, and that there are already shells that want this over snap.

Surveil 2 vs a 2/1 creature doesn't seem like much of a contest in any shell. Being twice as hard to cast doesn't help either.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It also triggers prowess etc. and lets you use alternate costs apparently

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Surveil 2 vs a 2/1 creature doesn't seem like much of a contest in any shell. Being twice as hard to cast doesn't help either.

I literally just outlined the cases that this is true. Also it isn't "twice as hard to cast" in a 2 color shell that already casts cryptics, etc.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk why "isn't as good as a card that warped eternal formats" is supposed to be a blight on a card in any way

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk why "isn't as good as a card that warped eternal formats" is supposed to be a blight on a card in any way

ME EITHER!!!!!!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A way to dodge bad ETB effects.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dies to price of fame

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I feel dumb for asking this, but this only gets a single +1/+1 counter when you Surveil 2 right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

When you’re talking about the card in eternal formats Snapcaster doesn’t magically vanish

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

I literally just outlined the cases that this is true. Also it isn't "twice as hard to cast" in a 2 color shell that already casts cryptics, etc.

You listed all the small marginal upsides to surveil and none of them beat having a 2/1 at instant speed in the majority of cases. :rolleyes:

I am not even saying the card can't be good, but calling it more powerful than snap is silly. Snapcaster at worst is an ambush viper while this card at worst is a wet fart.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 13, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

dies to price of fame

Not if you copy that hexproof ghostly boi

E: Surveil 2 is worth about half a card, so the big question is, how much is a 2/1 with flash worth

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 13, 2018

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

I think I'll slot 1-2 of this in death's shadow (goyf variants, not gurmag variants)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skyl3lazer posted:

Paying 1UUUUU for your flashbacked cryptic is significantly harder than paying 2UUUU even in a two colour shell.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

You listed all the small marginal upsides to surveil and none of them beat having a 2/1 at instant speed in the majority of cases. :rolleyes:

I am not even saying the card can't be good, but calling it more powerful than snap is silly. Snapcaster at worst is an ambush viper while this card at worst is a wet fart.

couldn't find wet fart on scryfall; what set is it?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not if you copy that hexproof ghostly boi

Huh, given the ability happens at instant speed there's all kinds of shenanigans you can pull if you're yarding creatures to help her dodge removal, morph into a body that best lines up for combat blowouts... there's something here for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

I've been playing a bit of Legacy Cube and I'd have beeline picked this in both of my B decks.