Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would like to play a turn-based resource management game for the personal computer.

Should I get Scythe, Egypt: Old Kingdom, or other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looking forward to waking up to the Nintendo Direct and being thoroughly disappointed by the Online Service; unless they offer up Gamecube games.

(Also more character announces please, based Sakurai)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Looking forward to waking up to the Nintendo Direct and being thoroughly disappointed by the Online Service; unless they offer up Gamecube games.

can't be disappointed if you already expect it to be poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

As long as they're thorough about it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nintendo: we are glad to announce switch support for the gamecube game, super smash bros melee. in preparation we are now erasing all traces of any gamecube game that isn't super smash bros melee on the entire planet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't the smash bros roster up to something ridiculous like 60 characters at this point how many more can they feasibly even add

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

isn't the smash bros roster up to something ridiculous like 60 characters at this point how many more can they feasibly even add

billy hatcher from billy hatcher

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

A ton

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i had a gamecube demo disk with that on it, which i never played because the demo disk also had a viewtiful joe demo on it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Next character will be #69

THE WEED NUMBER

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Next character will be #69

THE WEED NUMBER

:hmmyes:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if they announce travis touchdown as character #69 i will buy a nintendo switch and smash bros (not a real toxx don't toxx this)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Make Jeanne a whatchamacallit. Paletteswap echoer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LawfulWaffle posted:

I need help remembering a game. I’ll try here then take it to the dedicated thread.

It’s a SNES game where you play a white guy infiltrating Dracula’s Castle(?) but it plays more like Prince of Persian or Flashback than Castlevania. To attack you put your fists up in a fighting stance and throw punches. Your life gauge is several tall crystals. The first boss is a werewolf(?). I thought it was just called Dracula, but that doesn’t exist and Brad Stoker’s Dracula is a different game.

Is it Nosferatu?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlJ8rNjBENA

e: beaten of course, but I have a youtube link!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ken as an echo fighter seems like a pretty obvious one

plus they could own capcom by fixing his face

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I loved that Akuma looked so much better in Tekken 7 than he did in Street Fighter V

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's a character in SFV with his legs on goddamn backwards.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it's a king of fighters game my brother had me play once where there's a guy who holds his leg backwards and like kicks it through portals and stuff. ol' stinkleg, i called him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

We know there are at least a couple more. In the previous Direct, Sakurai said they had "a few more" to reveal and only one more was revealed during that Direct, so there are still more to come. Not sure what the ratio between echo fighters and actual new characters will be, but echo fighters are cool, too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Today is going to be a very bad day for Nintendo fans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah gotta be honest, the paid online service seems like a huge misstep from Nintendo, especially because they're not exactly communicating it well.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I like that they announced a firm date like a week before it happened.

I'm sure part of that is on the delay, but like, having the announcement be two weeks before it happened isn't exactly sterling either.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
To me it feels like Nintendo just decided that they could make a boatload of money by extorting their entire install base for some "small" fee. $20 a year feels like a designed amount that's just low enough that the average Switch user would go "well, this isn't providing me any real value, but I guess I'll pay it in the interest of convenience".

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but this is the impression I've gotten thus far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

Today is going to be a very bad day for Nintendo fans.

It's reported to be Miyamoto's sweatiest day on record since June 30th of last year.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

To me it feels like Nintendo just decided that they could make a boatload of money by extorting their entire install base for some "small" fee. $20 a year feels like a designed amount that's just low enough that the average Switch user would go "well, this isn't providing me any real value, but I guess I'll pay it in the interest of convenience".

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but this is the impression I've gotten thus far.

Well yes, that is why online costs money on all consoles

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah but don’t tell that to the switch thread otherwise they will throw a fit. :v:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

one of the laundry list of reasons i don't have any consoles or intend to ever have any consoles is the additional fee of having console-specific online service on top of already paying for internet service but if valve ever gets it in their head to charge a subscription fee to steam i'm right proper hosed

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Andrast posted:

Well yes, that is why online costs money on all consoles

The difference is, the other consoles, in theory, charge partially for the infrastructure they are providing. You're paying to support the continued updating and support for things like quality voice chat, party systems, community features, etc. Not to mention the monthly offerings with PS+ and Games with Gold.

Now I definitely don't want to make it appear that I think there isn't a better scenario where all console producers offer these for free, that would definitely be the ideal.

But yeah, it doesn't feel like Nintendo really HAS anything in that sense. Their online service is so barebones and the features that are there are crap, so I just can't justify it in the same way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The difference is, the other consoles, in theory, charge partially for the infrastructure they are providing. You're paying to support the continued updating and support for things like quality voice chat, party systems, community features, etc. Not to mention the monthly offerings with PS+ and Games with Gold.

Now I definitely don't want to make it appear that I think there isn't a better scenario where all console producers offer these for free, that would definitely be the ideal.

But yeah, it doesn't feel like Nintendo really HAS anything in that sense. Their online service is so barebones and the features that are there are crap, so I just can't justify it in the same way.

Nintendo could bring back Miiverse and instantly have the best online of all the consoles

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

That's one of the core issues, yeah.

The other thing is that I'm not really convinced they have the online game library to make it worth it for some people. Maybe they're just trying to make sure the paid online is normal to people by the time Smash Bros comes out, I guess?

Mostly I worry that this is just going to utterly kill games like Splatoon 2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

Nintendo could bring back Miiverse and instantly have the best online of all the consoles

Man, Miiverse being gone made a ton of Mario Maker stages damned lifeless.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Who wants to play online balloon fight with me using the Nintendo Online Service

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I can't wait for the crushing disappointment of not getting Super Mario Maker and Switchverse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

That's one of the core issues, yeah.

The other thing is that I'm not really convinced they have the online game library to make it worth it for some people. Maybe they're just trying to make sure the paid online is normal to people by the time Smash Bros comes out, I guess?

Mostly I worry that this is just going to utterly kill games like Splatoon 2.

Splatoon 2 has sold 7 million copies, it's not going anywhere

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If Nintendo is listening, the one thing I would ask for, the single feature update that would make me stop bitching about paying, is easy to use voice chat functionality. If I'm going to be paying for an online service, I want to be able to actually talk to the people I'm playing online with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's reported to be Miyamoto's sweatiest day on record since June 30th of last year.

Crash for Smash?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I want to be able to actually talk to the people I'm playing online with.

Why would you ever wish for this?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

If Nintendo is listening, the one thing I would ask for, the single feature update that would make me stop bitching about paying, is easy to use voice chat functionality. If I'm going to be paying for an online service, I want to be able to actually talk to the people I'm playing online with.

You're going to use a terrible phone adapter + app and you're gonna like it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

because people play games online with their friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

I'll pay Nintendo $20 a year to never let me hear people online

• Locked thread