Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
that looks amazing?

lol its so incredibly dark and muddled everything just blurs together

nothing stands out visually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah the gameboard looks like poo poo. there is zero visual clarity, even the rows aren't cleanly distinguished. i mean at the end of the day all i care about is the gameplay but the visuals are not great at all.

edit: also just generally, i sort of thought we had collectively gotten over the whole obsession with grimdark looks this decade. witcher 3 was visually stunning in part because the game was so incredibly vibrant and used light so well. i do not understand the art direction at all.

botany fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 2, 2018

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
i especially like the ps2 era leader models on the board

very cool

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
That just looks so much worse than current Gwent. Homecoming has been such a disaster from the start.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

look like hot garbage

skip

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

General Morden posted:

that looks amazing?

lol its so incredibly dark and muddled everything just blurs together

nothing stands out visually

I think the screenshot itself is somewhat blurry. EDIT: Oh right, it's from a Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL9_Wvwh8MI

As for the aesthetic, it seems like it's a Monsters' version of the board. I guess it kinda fits the faction? I wonder what other factions' boards look like.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 2, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Looks like closed PTR is live.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You guys have good taste, the new board is very bad.

The new card borders look ok at least and the one thing I absolutely LOVE is the "setting aside" visual for the mulligan to communicate blacklisting. You may not know the history behind this feature but if you do you'll know how much of a relief this is to see.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

No Wave posted:

The new card borders look ok at least and the one thing I absolutely LOVE is the "setting aside" visual for the mulligan to communicate blacklisting. You may not know the history behind this feature but if you do you'll know how much of a relief this is to see.

yes!!

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I'll have to see how the other boards look like. Faction boards still a thing and in that screen shot it was a monsters mirror

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I'm not sure if I'm ever going back to this game what with artifact coming out soon. Shame I did enjoy this game when it was good and I hope for it to be good

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I don't know why they felt the need to put the game in stasis for months followed by open heart surgery. I think the game was pretty good as it was and just needed new cards.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I agree that the monsters mirror match looked pretty ugly, but I'll wait until I see the whole thing before I begin doomsaying :v: I mostly liked the existing game, so unless they've completely, radically threw out the whole darn thing then I'm still interested.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Knowlue posted:

I'm not sure if I'm ever going back to this game what with artifact coming out soon. Shame I did enjoy this game when it was good and I hope for it to be good

I lost all interest in Artifact when they announced it's impossible to earn packs in game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I don't know why they felt the need to put the game in stasis for months followed by open heart surgery. I think the game was pretty good as it was and just needed new cards.
That's more or less how I feel as well, and I really like the existing look/feel of the game. That said development for this game was really difficult it seemed given how any new card could just take over the game if it was overstatted by a few points, I think that the final "10 card release" (I put 10 in quotes because Poet, Triss, and Sabbath were the only real cards) was the only one ever that didn't get substantial balance adjustments afterwards, and Sabbath is still a very controversial card on top of that. So I don't know, maybe the current game was just too hard to develop for in a way that could become a consistent revenue stream (though that's partially due to the absurd number of kegs they give out).

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

There's a promotion today where all kegs have a gold card in them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hey, that's pretty good. This is definitely the thing to dump your kegs on if you were still holding out on anything, I guess.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I'm rewarded with being too lazy to use all my kegs on the epic keg promotion

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thats pretty absurd and also a little alarming, if cards held their value post-homecoming it would be hard to imagine ever doing a 10 for the price of 1 promotion (which is what this works out to). Oh well going to be fun opening my ten kegs.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Knowlue posted:

I'm rewarded with being too lazy to use all my kegs on the epic keg promotion

This. Need to set a reminder to actually do it this time

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Only a 24 hour event this time, so be careful.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Well the deal at least made them money in this respect: I’m not convinced I’ll like homecoming and therefore obviously was not spending any money (or playing the game currently). However, the value here is so massive that Im gonna drop $20 because in the event I do like like homecoming, the value is just so insane. Given my robust collection already I’ll be able to make literally anything minus premiums. In the event I don’t like homecoming I’ll “lose” $20 but oh well. Basically the promotion made them $20 they otherwise (probably) would not have gotten from me.

Btw I think the leader models on the board in the preview they did look dumb. Would much prefer them to be a portrait.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/4EVhSKIOQeo

Thronebreaker and Homecoming hit October 23 for PC and December 4 for consoles. Consoles will be compensated with kegs or something for the delay.

Leaders will taunt and have different animations for their abilities and if you pass or lose etc. Also skins, hats, etc will be available for leaders.

Edit: Also the game looks way less dark in this video. Not sure if they lightened it up or if it's the Scoia'tael board.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 19, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really hope they can turn this ship around before Artifact releases.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Just get really negative and commit to thinking it'll suck. Either way you win!

I think the new look is totally generic, like if I were making a mockup of a TCG for use in the background of a movie it would look like that. Still no word on what their "coinflip fix" is besides making it even harder for blue coin by removing drypass.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

No Wave posted:

Still no word on what their "coinflip fix" is besides making it even harder for blue coin by removing drypass.

In the first video they said blue coin gets extra mulligans.

Azran posted:

I really hope they can turn this ship around before Artifact releases.

Maybe it'll be amazing enough to change my mind, but I lost all interest in artifact when it turned out you cannot ever earn free packs.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I did hear someone say that they will not let the cost of artifact cards get too high but that could just be a rumour. I'm not really interested in it either, I might check it out since I usually like underplayed stuff so maybe some decks I will like will be super cheap, but it depends on how good the good decks are and if you can beat them with cheap stuff. I don't have high hopes given how every other existing card game quickly breaks down to popular decks, even at minimum skill / ranks.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I’ll give it a fair shake but I took one look at artifact and the concept of playing three games at once isn’t super appealing to me. Seems like it’s make for a bad streaming viewer experience too, if they truly want to be able to surpass hearthstone (not that a game needs to do that to be good).

I still don’t really see the new board as an improvement over the old one. It looks a little busy to me and prefer a clean look over just throwing 3D models and dark colors everywhere. It kinda feels like change just to have change to me, like the graphics designers needed something to do. At least Gwents card art remains top notch. All I really care about though is the gameplay which they haven’t shown yet. I guess if nothing else the single player should be fun? I assume the same Witcher 3 writers also wrote the campaign.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Burza confirmed on the CDPR forums that powder isn't going to change function after HC. This, combined with the fact that premiums are being auto-milled for full scraps instead of scraps and powder, means that you can convert powder into scraps by upgrading a bunch of cards right now like we could before an update back in the day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
when does the relaunch of Gwent happen

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

eonwe posted:

when does the relaunch of Gwent happen
Same day the single player rpg comes out: October 23rd.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Same day the single player rpg comes out: October 23rd.

December 4 for consoles. Consoles will be compensated with kegs or something for the delay.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I'm just getting into the game now, does it matter if I open kegs now or save them for after Homecoming?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Might as well open them now, all the cards will be refunded completely into scraps on homecoming.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

extra stout posted:

I'm just getting into the game now, does it matter if I open kegs now or save them for after Homecoming?

if you're playing the game just open them, otherwise you can hold them until they do some kind of a bonus keg weekend like "every keg has an epic" or "every fifth card is premium" etc

e: nevermind just rip that poo poo open

Minera fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 21, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Minrad posted:

if you're playing the game just open them, otherwise you can hold them until they do some kind of a bonus keg weekend like "every keg has an epic" or "every fifth card is premium" etc

e: nevermind just rip that poo poo open

Thanks to both of you for the reply, it seems like a good time to do the tutorials and grind some points or whatever currency, but a bad time to figure out which deck I want to run or how to build one. What are some good decks in the current meta that don't take too many crafted cards?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

These videos are actually super helpful with general gameplay advice as well as specifics for whatever faction you like best.

https://vulkk.com/2018/05/18/gwent-starter-decks-guides-how-to-play-them/

This talks about some of the most universally useful cards to focus on crafting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-eUqxS_BqY

Did one of the factions in particular appeal to you? I'd be happy to give some advice. Otherwise, googling "budget gwent deck" with a search range starting after May 22 (the last patch) gave me a few results if you wanted to do that and poke around a little.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 23, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Another new board from thronebreaker:

this is gonna be so bad.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i want these people to take a visual design course, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU