Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
You should sear your meats, keep them out, then cook your chilis/tomatoes/onions/spices, and immersion blend the vegetable/spice mixtures to really get the flavors going. Then basically braise your meat in that poo poo. Just cook it forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

immersion blend

In my experience, this is completely unnecessary, anything big will break up in the course of the cooking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
yeah do it near the end so you can drink your chili with a straw

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Make a Whiskey con Carne: 50/50 whiskey/chili juices

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I made a three bean chili. (Not pictured: the shot of jalapeno vodka I deglazed with, the bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale I poured in, or the half can of chipotles in adobo sauce that went in.)

Pinto, chocolate, and coffee.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What was wrong with the canned tomatoes such that it required an otherwise useless can of corn to be placed on top?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ranter posted:

What was wrong with the canned tomatoes such that it required an otherwise useless can of corn to be placed on top?

I'm getting triggered, too. But, honestly, it was probably pretty tasty. Even if the garlic is a token effort and those peppers are lonely and that's a lot of tomato stuff and oh god

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Corn's good.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

I'm getting triggered, too. But, honestly, it was probably pretty tasty. Even if the garlic is a token effort and those peppers are lonely and that's a lot of tomato stuff and oh god

Both the garlic and the peppers were representative of larger amounts off camera. Not to mention the chipotles in adobo sauce which actually made the whole thing a little too spicy.

Guilty on the tomatoes though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's a shitload of tomatoes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I got a nice beef tongue in the freezer and can pick up a beef heart at Publix. Gonna make TRULY OFFAL CHILI this weekend. Pitty it's not at all cold, and wont be for 4 months. But I got a free weekend and a hankering for protein. Will be doing my usual classic Iron Leg variation. Post to come.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Suspect Bucket posted:

I got a nice beef tongue in the freezer and can pick up a beef heart at Publix. Gonna make TRULY OFFAL CHILI this weekend. Pitty it's not at all cold, and wont be for 4 months. But I got a free weekend and a hankering for protein. Will be doing my usual classic Iron Leg variation. Post to come.

Be sure to share the process, I have always been curious about how those cuts work out. Apparently trimming heart is a pain?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Be sure to share the process, I have always been curious about how those cuts work out. Apparently trimming heart is a pain?

Publix does most of the hard work for you. Just trim out the obviously veiny bits. I always use heart in my chili, it is honestly the finest bit of meat in the pot at then end of a good stew. I'm curious to see how tongue works out. Probably gonna be like pulled pork :discourse:

either way, gonna need floss.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I included one of these puppies in my chili competition chili last year:

This is a pork heart rather than beef. I was absolutely amazed at how delicious and flavorful it was. I had never had heart before. I had also heard it was tough to trim but I did not find it at all difficult.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Guys, I got lazy and just did a small pot of chili with bacon and tounge, no heart.

It is on the simmer now, it's already delicious. Pictures when it is done.

Edit: Could not help myself, had a bowl a bit early. This is the best pot of chili I have ever made.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 25, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is the best pot of chili I have ever made.

I love it when that happens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So, start by acquiring a fine grass fed organic tongue from the local farmers market rancher. Make a boiling stock of bay leaves, salt, onion and garlic powder, oregano, and whatever else is in that spanish bottle of 'complete seasoning'. Then simmer that bad boy until the outer skin starts to peel.

That's a fine piece of meat under that outer skin. Start peeling and carving!

It's always good to have a helper. Mulan saved me the effort of putting the skin in the garbage. What a good girl!

While you carve that tounge up, fry up some fatty bacon ends in a heavy bottomed pot.

Chunky tongue. Fine bit of meat!
After you've hunked up your tounge and the bacon is merrily rendering away, get that bag of dried ancho peppers you've had in the pantry for awhile and re hydrate them in 2 cups of chicken stock. Also peel 4 cloves of garlic.

Once the bacon renders down a bit and gets crispy, add your spices (chili packet is is fine, I just grabbed stuff out of my spice cabinet in a frenzy), your garlic, and not pictured, an onion. Let that all brown and bloom and smell amazing.

Once that's bloomed, add your meat and let that gently brown for a bit.

When the meat is cooked off a bit, add the ancho peppers and chicken stock, then a can of stewed tomatoes because I like tomatoes.

Taste, add salt or sugar as needed. I added a tablespoon of brown sugar myself, just to sweeten it up. Let simmer covered until dark but still loose and thin, about 30 minutes. I removed the anchos at this point, the flavor was completely transferred from them into the chili, they were just kinda weird. Then add a handful of masa to thicken.
Let sit at heat, covered, just enough to make a bit of steam, but not simmer, for 2-4 hours, or as long as you can stand not eating. If still too thin, add more masa. If too thick, add more chicken stock.

Serve on rice and spinach with a heavy pinch of shredded cheese and some pickled red pepper strips. FEAST.

Put chili away in fridge, marvel how it tastes better the next day.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Making chili today for the kickoff of the NFL season, so yesterday I made beef broth. I have never made home made beef broth before, so it was a new experience. I pull it out earlier today and its turned solid! It looks like brown jelly. I thought I hosed something up. But after looking online, apparently this is normal. In fact, its apparently a sign of a good broth. Okay then. Here's hoping that translates to good chili in about 3 hours.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fishing with the fam posted:

Making chili today for the kickoff of the NFL season, so yesterday I made beef broth. I have never made home made beef broth before, so it was a new experience. I pull it out earlier today and its turned solid! It looks like brown jelly. I thought I hosed something up. But after looking online, apparently this is normal. In fact, its apparently a sign of a good broth. Okay then. Here's hoping that translates to good chili in about 3 hours.

That is, indeed, good broth. Or stock, generally depending on your salt content, more or less. I make stock every year, and depending on how soon I'm gonna use it, I'll boil it down till it does that at minimum, or I'll keep going till it's almost a syrup, then freeze it into ice cubes. reconstitute in a couple cups of water, and it's good to go. And it literally uses leftover food waste from other recipes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

fishing with the fam posted:

Yeah that gelatin is what makes the broth/stock have a velvety smooth texture in your mouth and is very desirable. Good job, making beef broth from scratch is key to great chili.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I've never made chili before but I'm thinking about smoking a brisket and combining it with chorizo and pork belly. I'm not sure how this would work out but my concept is to do the chorizo as normal, towards the end add the brisket and right at the end add a lightly crisped pork belly for texture/flavor. I'm wondering if I should cook the brisket all the way to tender or if I should cook it partially then let it stew in the meat for a couple hours.

Am I being a bit nuts here?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

A little crazy, but cook it to tender and add it at the end. I’d definitely try it. I’d probably enjoy it. Don’t use beans.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Beans good

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I like bean chili.
I like no beans in chili.
Let's love all chili.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Beans in chili means more chili.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
While you're busy not adding beans to your chili, remember to also not add tomato.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

Lmao I was just starting poo poo. I like to put beans in and then hit them with the immersion blender.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tomato paste is good. Beans are good filler but I understand the appeal of no beans. Let's all agree that chili is good.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I made chili for a bunch of my high school students, who are all low socioeconomic status Hispanic kids. It was a mild Texas red, made with a bit of ground pork and a lot of chuck.

They were skittish about it, and the first to try it said, "I had chili once, it was good! This looks like barbacoa, though." Then she convinced others to try it by telling them that I was calling it chili, but it was really barbacoa.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well the concept is stewed meat right? Perhaps, I who know little of making chili, chili is the American Barbacoa.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Barbacoa's not stewed; it's large cuts of meat or whole animals cooked low and slow, broadly like American barbecue, with both being inspired by the same Taino technique (and name).

Sorta weird that Hispanic kids in Texas would think of chili as barbacoa, rather than some kind of guisado, which is the same general thing and just as well known. This is traditional barbacoa in the borderlands around Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VwrOLX-UE

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 16, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
kids are dumb and get dumb ideas then roll with it

or they saw the long fibers of slow cooked whole chuck (not ground or a tighter grilled steak) and that reminded them of barbacoa

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 16, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

marshalljim posted:

Barbacoa's not stewed; it's large cuts of meat or whole animals cooked low and slow, broadly like American barbecue, with both being inspired by the same Taino technique (and name).

Sorta weird that Hispanic kids in Texas would think of chili as barbacoa, rather than some kind of guisado, which is the same general thing and just as well known. This is traditional barbacoa in the borderlands around Texas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1VwrOLX-UE

I mean, I get where they were coming from. I think it's almost become standard in our culture to see chili as being made with ground beef and tasting like dog food. The meat shreds of a chili made primarily with chuck looks a lot like the meat shreds of barbacoa, just with a different color. Guisado isn't cooked to the point of shredding.

I think I was most amused at the idea that they saw chili as an alien thing, but were completely comfortable with the flavor profile of a traditional Texas chili.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Ah, yeah, that makes sense.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

bolo yeung posted:

For beer, I like to use something malty and caramel-ly. As someone here posted, I find it preferable to get bitterness from my toasted chiles. Something like a non-hoppy brown ale or dunkel lager is what I'd go for.

Also, instead of making my own chile powder, I just toast my chiles then throw them into the simmering cooking liquid to soften up and then blend them. Also, roasting tomatoes on a comal or dry skillet, removing the charred skin from the tomatoes and blending the skin with the chiles is nice (and chopping up said roasted tomatoes and throwing them in with the beer/beef broth).

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
While not strictly traditional chili, I made some Chile Colorado on Saturday from this recipe and it was absolutely delicious.

http://www.latinofoodie.com/recipes/homemade-beef-chile-colorado-recipe/

If you've never heard of it, it's small pieces of beef in a thinner chili sauce. You can throw it over rice or eat it on a tortilla.
I would highly recommend trying it if you've never had it before.

Wish I grabbed some pictures. I would say the recipe is even simpler than the average chili recipe. If you've got a good blender, you can skip the sieve.
Mine reduced everything to a pretty smooth sauce and I found it unnecessary.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

xergm posted:

If you've got a good blender, you can skip the sieve.

I disagree, straining and reducing makes a much superior chile en Colorado. As a qualifier: I've had them many times, both ways instead of one time, one way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xergm posted:

While not strictly traditional chili, I made some Chile Colorado on Saturday from this recipe and it was absolutely delicious.

http://www.latinofoodie.com/recipes/homemade-beef-chile-colorado-recipe/

If you've never heard of it, it's small pieces of beef in a thinner chili sauce. You can throw it over rice or eat it on a tortilla.
I would highly recommend trying it if you've never had it before.

Wish I grabbed some pictures. I would say the recipe is even simpler than the average chili recipe. If you've got a good blender, you can skip the sieve.

That looks like a killer chili recipe if you added more meat to thicken up the sauce.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I disagree, straining and reducing makes a much superior chile en Colorado. As a qualifier: I've had them many times, both ways instead of one time, one way.

I did strain mine, there just wasn't much left on the strainer after pressing it through. Maybe I'll turn the blender down a notch next time and see if more solids remain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

It is chili season and I am extremely happy about it. Had to order dried peppers online because I struck out hard trying to find them locally, but I made my first chili paste today instead of using store-bought powder! Super pumped to see how this chili turns out, but I did have a question. I've basically been using Iron Leg's recipe from the first page as a loose base, and I don't know how much chili paste you should actually use. I used an arbol, two guajillos and three anchos in my paste and used maybe a quarter of the total resulting paste. Am I supposed to use the whole thing? Is it just to taste?