Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Goddammit Beast.

COMING 2019 FROM MARVEL IT YOUNG MAGNETO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

COMING 2019 FROM MARVEL IT YOUNG MAGNETO

Ripping a young Magneto straight out of the time stream right after the holocaust, combined with the general power upgrade the young X-Men got (Young Jean Grey is way more powerful than Jean Grey was until she got phoenix powers) would be loving hilarious.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
That could easily serve as the "big bad" for a big crossover event. Alternatively, rip Magneto from the same time as the young X-Men, so he will technically be older than current Magneto, but also technically younger for maximum :psyduck: .

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Assuming they don’t reboot the whole thing after the next one they could say Apocalypse did something when he made him a horseman that slowed his aging. Also let’s them reuse Psylocke if they wanted.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Retro Futurist posted:

Assuming they don’t reboot the whole thing after the next one they could say Apocalypse did something when he made him a horseman that slowed his aging. Also let’s them reuse Psylocke if they wanted.

The likelihood of Disney maintaining Fox continuity for X-Men is extremely low. They are going to want their own casting and to tell their own stories. Outside of multiverse shenanigans, those movies are done when mutants join the MCU. See also: Spider-Man.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Jesus, you think Finn Jones would have lifted some weights before Season 2. Make a loving effort man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

The likelihood of Disney maintaining Fox continuity for X-Men is extremely low. They are going to want their own casting and to tell their own stories. Outside of multiverse shenanigans, those movies are done when mutants join the MCU. See also: Spider-Man.

Fox doesn't maintain Fox continuity, which I think is oddly appropriate.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he had limited powers when he was in the concentration camp and Goebbels did some horrible poo poo to him that made him age super slow and now he's basically stopped aging at around 55 or whatever.

That's definitely one way to do it, because yeah, it's very odd to decouple him from the WW2 origin, but it's hard to keep him going in modern stories if he ages like a regular person. Although it's kind of odd that as time goes on, he'd start to have a kinda James Howlett Man-Throughout-Time going on that he was never intended to have. Professor X can be born any time in history to keep him in his 60s during the present day, but when he's a 20-year-old meeting a 50-year-old Magneto (who looks 20), it's going to change the nature of their relationship a bit. Maybe X-Men stories twenty years from now will have them as master and pupil.

Skwirl posted:

Y'know, you say this like a jab at them, but I've always kinda respected their approach to it. Marvel has this intricately-planned roadmap for how all their movies tie into one another and you hear horror stories about how the directors get frustrated having to force all their stories to fit the Marvel formula and shoe-in useless scenes at the expense of character development because they lead into the next movie, DC tried to do the same thing and failed spectacularly and just lost their Superman along with their Batman, and here comes Fox who just wants to make some fun movies about mutants and not worry about teasing together some big epic crossover. You'll get the main characters played by the same actors who are sorta kinda in the right places based on the last movie, and then go nuts, tell a good story and don't worry about what happened in the last six movies.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Isn't the unofficial explanation is "the current movie takes place in a different (but extremely similar) timeline than the one before" so they can just have people show up and not explain jack?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That absolutely wasn't supposed to be a jab at the Fox films, decoupling from continuity was the right move.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some new Titans shots

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The X-Men movies only holding the loosest of continuity with only occasional callbacks to previous entries is the most X-Men approach possible and it’s worked out pretty well for them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gifted was pretty surprising in how good it was and it was unexpected they'd add the Cukoos in it. But all the promo materials before hand made it look terrible. They're going with that again, as the 2 promos they released for the sides, the Hellfire Club and Mutant Underground, both look super crummy.

I half expect this season to have X-23, Hope/Rachael Summers or some other alt version/relation of a known X-men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not so much a strategy for director freedom as it is scrambling every time one does badly though.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
It bums me out how much trouble the production American Gods Season 2 is; I just want a good adaptation of Gaiman's novel drat it. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

Gifted was pretty surprising in how good it was and it was unexpected they'd add the Cukoos in it. But all the promo materials before hand made it look terrible. They're going with that again, as the 2 promos they released for the sides, the Hellfire Club and Mutant Underground, both look super crummy.

I half expect this season to have X-23, Hope/Rachael Summers or some other alt version/relation of a known X-men.

Shifting the entire focus away from the busted house full of mutants was a good plan. The actress playing the Cuckoos is pretty great and their plot is infinitely more interesting than Vampire Bill's family.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The dying star in his head keeps Magneto young and vigorous, duh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Looks like American Gods is having problems.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/american-gods-sidelines-new-showrunner-delays-frustrations-1140946

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_rXrgk5R4

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can only hope this is even half as disturbing as the lack of new issues of Sacasa's Archie horror titles.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sticksy posted:

The dying star in his head keeps Magneto young and vigorous, duh

15 years and I still don't get all that Xorn poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

15 years and I still don't get all that Xorn poo poo

They thought it was Magneto but it was actually Xorn's evil secret brother pretending to be Xorn who was pretending to be Magneto.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Initial story:

Xorn was actually Magneto in disguise hopped up on goofballs and is killed by Wolverine.

Story after Morrison stops working for Marvel:

Xorn(1) is actually Chinese mutant Xorn pretending to be Magneto hopped up on goofballs in disguise as Xorn and was killed by Wolverine.

Xorn(2) is Xorn(1)'s twin brother Xorn who is nice and dies helping the X-Men.

Xorn(3) (Lady Xorn) is Jean Grey from the past from the future.

There's also an Age of Apocalypse Xorn who is Husk.

EASY!

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cant wait to read that clusterfuck in grand design

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
3 episodes into season 2 of Iron Fist. I'm enjoying this season a lot more than season 1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Initial story:

Xorn was actually Magneto in disguise hopped up on goofballs and is killed by Wolverine.

Xorn(1) is actually Chinese mutant Xorn pretending to be Magneto hopped up on goofballs in disguise as Xorn and was killed by Wolverine.

EASY!

You forgot The Collective.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

But really, can anyone else claim otherwise? :v:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Wheat Loaf posted:

But really, can anyone else claim otherwise? :v:

Also Shen Xorn, the one who sacrificed himself to save the X-Men, showed up again (unexplained) and was the ruler of the mutant nation New Tian. Then, during Secret Empire it was revealed that he was being mind controlled by Emma Frost who was really making all the decisions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Initial story:

EASY!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

good day for a bris posted:

Also Shen Xorn, the one who sacrificed himself to save the X-Men, showed up again (unexplained) and was the ruler of the mutant nation New Tian. Then, during Secret Empire it was revealed that he was being mind controlled by Emma Frost who was really making all the decisions.

The universe had been remade between though, so you know how it goes.

Franklin hadn't been up to date on X-Men canon, brought a few wrong guys back.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I like how the current X-Men movies do a roughly 10 year time skip every sequel with nobody aging.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
"Their mutated DNA has slowed aging to a near crawl." Bing bing bong so simple

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

So did everyone else at Marvel.

Basically, Bendis completely ignored the Xorn twins and wrote Xorn as some sort of formless evil entity that impersonated Magneto for unrevealed reasons.

This was almost immediately retconned away by editorial as merely being one of the Xorn twins somehow in control of the Collective, and I dunno if it's been referenced since. I'm guessing not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's how Magneto got repowered so it's probably an occasional asterisk somewhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Isn’t the Omega Flight guy still around and in control of the collective? I mean when anyone remembers either of them that is

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

LOL. This is the exact problem the Defenders had. You have to put all the characters in costume or none of them. Having three people in street clothes with one guy in superhero tactical gear looks ridiculous. All of them having brightly died hair except Robin just makes him stand out more. He looks like a character from a different show got lost trying to find the set.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dacap posted:

LOL. This is the exact problem the Defenders had. You have to put all the characters in costume or none of them. Having three people in street clothes with one guy in superhero tactical gear looks ridiculous. All of them having brightly died hair except Robin just makes him stand out more. He looks like a character from a different show got lost trying to find the set.

The worst part of this picture is beast boy not being green.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

The worst part of this picture is beast boy not being green.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Everything about Titans looks awful but can we start bets on how bad it will actually be? I feel like it can't be worse than Inhumans but it won't be any better than... let's go with Agents of SHIELD season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I think the real question "boring bad" or "historically offensively bad"