Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Because it's interesting and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

\
That's because this show is half Better Call Saul and half lovely Breaking Bad prequel which doesn't expand on anything. WHY DO WE NEED TO SEE HOW THE UNDERGROUND LAB WAS BUILT, WHY SHOWRUNNERS.

its cool

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I am shocked that a prequel series shows us events related to the mother series.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This season has lost A LOT after Chuck's death, I think. It still has a few things going for it, but like the last season was some next level poo poo and now it's merely quite good - on the basis of its acting and direction. The closer it's getting into stuff like the drug lab being built, the less I feel invested in anything that's going on.

The Howard scenes just remind me of how loving good and interesting those relationships were and how I don't really care that much about the "how" of things ended up the way they are in Breaking Bad. It just feels like the stuff that set the show apart from its predecessor is on the way out in favour of making it Breaking Bad 0.5.

I had to look up who the gently caress Lalo is supposed to be, and honestly I think it's sad that this season's huge event is supposed to be a character who was mentioned once in Breaking Bad. Like, I know that's kind of the point of BCS, but during the first three seasons it was loving better than that, man.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I am shocked that a prequel series shows us events related to the mother series.

The show is just spinning in its wheels when it's not focused on Jimmy. How the lab was built is yet another story that didn't need to be told.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

How the superlab was built is nothing I would have asked for, but they’ve made me very interested in it now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What about the long pointless monologue at comatose Hector.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Like the show promised us Sauls origin, vested us in the downfall of Jimmy and has now spent two seasons with a disconnected Mike sideplot that is going absolutely nowhere expect repeating stuff we already knew from Breaking Bad.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

The show is just spinning in its wheels when it's not focused on Jimmy. How the lab was built is yet another story that didn't need to be told.

We haven’t heard the whole story though so I would like to know which numbers to play for powerball

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

MiddleOne posted:

Like the show promised us Sauls origin, vested us in the downfall of Jimmy and has now spent two seasons with a disconnected Mike sideplot that is going absolutely nowhere expect repeating stuff we already knew from Breaking Bad.

So hey stop watching and at the same time you can stop making GBS threads up the thread. This isn’t a hate watch show like SoA or Dexter and you are wrong, so go. Please and thanks in advance.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

So hey stop watching and at the same time you can stop making GBS threads up the thread. This isn’t a hate watch show like SoA or Dexter and you are wrong, so go. Please and thanks in advance.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

It's very difficult to tell Saul's story without telling Mike's, and to a lesser extent Fring's. They're tightly coupled. It is the steady corruption of people completely locked into their destiny.

Can you really say Fring's monologue at Hector's bed wasn't vital, considering what happens to him?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

This season has lost A LOT after Chuck's death, I think. It still has a few things going for it, but like the last season was some next level poo poo and now it's merely quite good - on the basis of its acting and direction. The closer it's getting into stuff like the drug lab being built, the less I feel invested in anything that's going on.

The Howard scenes just remind me of how loving good and interesting those relationships were and how I don't really care that much about the "how" of things ended up the way they are in Breaking Bad. It just feels like the stuff that set the show apart from its predecessor is on the way out in favour of making it Breaking Bad 0.5.

I had to look up who the gently caress Lalo is supposed to be, and honestly I think it's sad that this season's huge event is supposed to be a character who was mentioned once in Breaking Bad. Like, I know that's kind of the point of BCS, but during the first three seasons it was loving better than that, man.

Actually this season's been fantastic and I don't think they've missed a beat since McKean has been gone. The Lalo thing isn't supposed to be a huge "event" except to fans obsessing over details and hearing rumors. There aren't any teasers that say "THIS SEASON ON BETTER CALL SAUL: LALO"

your post reeks of overthiking everything (there's even a decimal number about what percentage you think it's Breaking Bad lol). just chill and watch the show

KidOrange
Dec 30, 2011
So not to be obtuse, but I don't understand the cell phone plan at all. Is there some kind of law about buying multiple burners or is he just jacking up the price and hoping the local meth heads don't just go to Not Verizon when they need more?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
To be honest I always thought Chuck’s electricity allergy was kind of silly (even though it’s a real thing, but in the context of the BB/BCS universe it just didn’t seem to fit to me) and if it had gone on any longer I think it would have become insufferable. They killed his character at the perfect time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KidOrange posted:

So not to be obtuse, but I don't understand the cell phone plan at all. Is there some kind of law about buying multiple burners or is he just jacking up the price and hoping the local meth heads don't just go to Not Verizon when they need more?

He's just hyping them up and charging more. There's nothing illegal about them, though if cops catch you walking around with like 15 burners they'd rightfully be suspicious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

Eh, I'll be happy to walk to the cross if the Mike stuff pays off at some point but I think that the show is doubling down on the worst parts of season 3 is a bad indication of where it's heading.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I know I like to tweak the thread about the podcast but last episode while not devoid of "best thing sliced bread" and plenty of "I luv this" it does have quite a bit about the episode and the direction this season.

It has Patrick Fabian on who talks quite a lot about the development of Howard and how he sees the events of the show.

It also has some discussion about casting international actors and how best to dialogue backround chatter in a language your writers don't speak. Also has some details on Kai and his immediate future.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

QwertySanchez posted:

For all the complaints we get every week about how nothing happens, Mike takes up too much time blah blah blah, this here is the particular thing that's been nagging at the back of my mind while watching. If Jimmy ever gets caught on any of his schemes, he'd be done. He'd lose his chance at ever being a lawyer again. And as the show gets closer and closer to the start of BB timeline wise. Where he's a successful crooked lawyer, it's sucking the suspense out of stuff like the hummel theft, messing with these kids. Because from this point on, as far as Jimmy's cons and schemes, he can't lose, he cannot gently caress up. He can't do anything wrong.

This isn't necessarily true, I think a lot of bridges can be rebuilt once he starts saving dudes from prison. It also handily creates a Mutually Assured Destruction situation where if he gets busted and loses his license again, all his cases get retried.

oh jay posted:

I feel like I've seen that episode before. Everything was so...familiar. I'm 90% sure there was a scene in Breaking Bad that started with a closeup of a wobbly wheel on a cart. And a slow zoom in to Walt's face as ambient noises get louder and louder. This episode also featured a deliberately poorly lit room and a longwinded story that is a completely onthenose metaphor.

We are approaching maximum Vince Gilligan and it's a little boring to me.

gently caress you Jimmy was pretty good though.

"The merciful thing to do would have been to kill it. No half measures."

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hakkesshu posted:

yah its like breaking bad after gus. still really good tho

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nail Rat posted:

This keeps being said and I'll keep saying: the reason it was the expectation is that was literally both the original pitch and what was reported. It was going to be a half hour comedy. At some point they added Jonathan Banks and said it was actually going to be an hour-long drama.

Although I'm really enjoying the show as it is, I would totally watch a half-hour comedy with Saul and his client(s) of the week.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe I'm reading things too optimistically but I assumed gus kept the injured animal more as a pet. He never said he tortured it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I'm reading things too optimistically but I assumed gus kept the injured animal more as a pet. He never said he tortured it.

Uh no

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
It's kind of funny that this is taking place around the same time that The Wire was tackling the burner phone issue.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

It's an allegory for what he's going to do to Hector, and which we see him continue to do in BB. The message was not "I will care for you for the rest of your days".

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

MiddleOne posted:

What about the long pointless monologue at comatose Hector.

This was the first time I got tired of the show. I love everything except Gus, who has been tolerable but mostly uninteresting. That monologue was the worst thing they’ve done by far because it’s just so loving masturbatory and pointless. We already know basically everything there is to know about Gus and Hector, including how the relationship ultimately ends. That monologue added nothing and really stood out of place in the BCS/BB universe where every scene has a clear purpose of building character or moving the story along.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The superlab is weird for me because, yes every aspect of its creation is fascinating. I enjoy Mike Doing Things, and this is hardcore uncut Mike Doing Things.

But in the back of my mind I know it's all to make a big playground for some idiot high school teacher to gently caress up. Makes it all feel pretty pointless.

I mean, I know that could apply to a lot of this show- Mike and Gus have interesting stories, but we know that they end to the zany antics of that idiot teacher. Jimmy is more interesting because we know he'll descend (ascend?) to become an incredible "criminal" lawyer, but one of his clients will eventually gently caress it up for him. But he'll live through that and it will be, as we're seeing here, the consequences of his decisions, and the repercussions will be interesting too.

But for whatever reason, Mike being in this show doesn't feel like a pointless prelude to a stupid disaster. The superlab definitely does, and honestly Gus kind of does too.

Whatever though. That only bothers me when I stop to think about it. The procedure is indeed fascinating, though I can see why someone wouldn't be able to appreciate it in context.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

i am the bird posted:

This was the first time I got tired of the show. I love everything except Gus, who has been tolerable but mostly uninteresting. That monologue was the worst thing they’ve done by far because it’s just so loving masturbatory and pointless. We already know basically everything there is to know about Gus and Hector, including how the relationship ultimately ends. That monologue added nothing and really stood out of place in the BCS/BB universe where every scene has a clear purpose of building character or moving the story along.

Same, it was too obvious. "An innocent animal just eating some food it found angered me so much I caught it and tortured it for years" is way too on the nose evil bad guy behavior. The context of him telling this story to Hector makes it very clear this animal did not have a good time at all and was kept alive out of some pathetic need for revenge. But imagine if he was telling this story to Nacho. Nacho didn't really do anything wrong that he could understand was wronging Gus, just like the animal in his story, but Gus still captured and crippled him. But the take-away would be much different, it would be Gus telling nacho that although you angered and wronged me, albeit unknowingly, you are now my pet and part of my plans and may still live so long as you are a good pet.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Gus had almost worn out his welcome as an omniscient, omnipotent character in BB right before his face kerploded, which was a satisfying end to his arc and to the rivalry between him and Hector. In BCS, we’re right back to godlike Gus who has no flaws and faces no significant challenges. That can be fun as a villain if you’ve got people like Walt and Jesse bouncing off of him, but he comes across as boring to me here.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Some of you think that being critical of Mike Does Stuff is the same as hate watching the show. TVIV is for critiquing television, not showering it with fanboy love. That Gus monologue was particularly bad. Vince Gilligan is mostly great and all, but occasionally he and his shows showcase some ideas that are like film school fodder and would likely receive harsher criticism if someone else were at the wheel.

"Gus kept alive and tortured a small animal he was mad at when he was younger. Do you get it? Because that is like what he is doing with Hector!"

"Let's frame this shot so Jimmy's face is exactly 50% obscured. Because it's like, Jimmy is two-faced and a liar, you know?"

Aside from the monologue though, this was a really good episode. I would prefer not to waste time on learning about how the Superlab was built, but they've at least made it interesting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought the fate of Gus’s coati was intentionally vague and could be taken both ways. Kinda like the “do you think I’d employ children” thing.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Baronjutter posted:

I watched Godfather 2 as a kid and I thought they brought Whatsisname's brother at the trial so he'd be embarassed to snitch in front of his brother.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not for nothing, but isn't that just about the only time (if not THE only time) we've heard Gus talk about anything from before he partnered up with the other Pollo Hermano?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

i am the bird posted:

I'm with you. It started off promising with Gus using some evocative sense imagery to draw us back to his memories of being a poor child living in a slum, but it quickly devolved into something very tired and predictable and went on way too long for what it was. Esposito's performance was uncharacteristically broad and the whole scene was shot and edited in the most boring way imaginable. It was the first time in either of these shows that I was just plain bored.

Isn't this the first season where Peter Gould is fully in charge or something? Because so far this season almost feels like someone attempting to mimic what came before, doing a pretty good job, but not quite matching it. I get an overall sense of a lack of polish compared to earlier seasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Overall, I'm easy to please, so I thought the episode was great. I get why people didn't like the monologue, and I can even get why some of you don't give a gently caress about Gus. Totally understandable. I still love it all, but not blindly. I see the flaws, but they don't really drag the show down for me.

I remember waiting week to week during BB season 4, and as it got closer to the end, I'd be so obsessed with the show, I'd have dreams of what could possibly happen. That time, and the end of the show, were probably my most obsessive moments with any form of media. I was ACTUALLY feeling nervous for the characters, days after a given episode aired. It was silly, but I kind of loved it.

Now, I have to admit that I haven't quite felt the same way for BCS, but it's still been an incredible ride. However, I am very, very interested in what will happen to Kai (if anything), as well as everything else related to the superlab's construction.

I think I'd easily get that obsessive feeling again if the final season is Gene, all the way.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you have a link to this?

http://gothamist.com/2017/06/15/interview_vince_gilligan_peter_gould.php posted:

Vince Gilligan: We went into this wanting to tell Saul Goodman's story, thinking that we liked Saul Goodman. That was one of the big impetuses for doing this. Little did I realize at that point how much I ultimately disliked Saul Goodman, certainly compared to Jimmy McGill, who we didn't even know back then. It's turned into a real tragedy, the fact that there's no escaping it. This guy has to become Saul Goodman. What did [Fargo and Legion showrunner] Noah Hawley say to you?

Peter Gould: I was at an event and I went up and I introduced myself to Noah Hawley because I'm a big Fargo fan.

Vince Gilligan: That's a great show.

Peter Gould: He said, "I've got a pitch for you." And I said, "Yeah, what's that?" In a nutshell, his pitch is that Jimmy McGill never becomes Saul Goodman, which if you think about it, is the most Fargo solution to the problem of all.

Vince Gilligan: Which is really attractive too. It's an attractive thought.

Peter Gould: The alternate universe version. I feel like it would be attractive in a way. For us in this particular setup it would be a cheat in a way that it wouldn't be a cheat for him to do on Fargo. I agree with so much, well all of what Vince said. We always knew that we liked Saul Goodman, but we didn't know we were going to love Jimmy McGill.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-breaking-bad-reunion-comic-con-20180719-story.html posted:

Showrunner Peter Gould shared an idea from Noah Hawley, the showrunner of FX’s “Fargo” and “Legion.” “I have a pitch for you,” Gould remembers Hawley saying, “ ‘He never becomes Saul.’ And if this were ‘Fargo’ — that’s the ‘Fargo’ world. Would you guys be disappointed if [Jimmy McGill] never became Saul Goodman?” Gould asked the crowd. “I would be.”

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I think this season finale will show us what happens with Jimmy and Kim.

Although to the show's credit I have no clue what that will be. They hinted at the partner thing again and perhaps something there will be the last straw for Jimmy.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think next season should really go hard and fast into him being Saul, like from episode 1 he is now Saul Goodman, let's see how he builds up his law firm. We're running out of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I never quite understood the idea of, "if I know how this ends, this is pointless."

You show up at your friend's house one day to find his yard on fire, a headless woman in full Soviet regalia in the street, three dogs chained to a lone fence post (also in the street), and your friend in a blood-stained leotard holding a rake in one hand and his ear in the other. He spots you, his face slurring between panic and relief, and he runs to meet you.
You: "I'm gonna stop you right there, pal."