Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Elderbean posted:

The thing about libertarianism is that is starts with reasonable claims like "the government should stay out of our private lives" and "the government serves corporations" but then if you let them talk enough it becomes "the police should only solve murders if the victims family pays them" and "companies should be allowed to put glass in food because the free market will sort it out." They acknowledge that these huge companies are robbing us blind but in their magical imagination they would all be benevolent if laws didn't exist because FREE MARKET.

"Let's get rid of professional licences because rational actors will know not to go back to the 'doctor' who killed the one kid with quack treatments when the other kid gets sick. The Market will sort itself out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

The huge companies are only robbing us blind because of ~crony capitalism~ you see, which is definitely not just regular capitalism with a fake mustache on

Oh man someone even made a wikipedia entry for it now, lmao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crony_capitalism

quote:

Crony capitalism is an economy in which businesses thrive not as a result of risk, but rather as a return on money amassed through a nexus between a business class and the political class. This is done using state power to crush genuine competition in handing out permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of state intervention[1][2] over resources where the state exercises monopolist control over public goods, for example, mining concessions for primary commodities or contracts for public works. Money is then made not merely by making a profit in the market, but through profiteering by "rent seeking" using this monopoly or oligopoly. Entrepreneurship and innovative practices, which seek to reward risk are stifled, since the value-added is little by crony businesses as hardly anything of significant value is created by them, with transactions taking the form of "trading". Crony capitalism spills over into the government, the politics and the media,[3] when this nexus distorts the economy and affects society to an extent it corrupts public-serving economic, political and social ideals.

Uh huh, yep, sure :allears:

e:

quote:

In its lightest form, crony capitalism consists of collusion among market players which is officially tolerated or encouraged by the government.

You see in normal free market capitalism the government would step in and keep them from... wait... hm...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

"Let's get rid of professional licences because rational actors will know not to go back to the 'doctor' who killed the one kid with quack treatments when the other kid gets sick. The Market will sort itself out."

It took way too long for me to convince my roommate that the Laser Spine Institute would in fact not fix the problems she has with her spine.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah libertarians have a very high opinion of the average consumer, you'd have to in order to make these dumbass "everyone will vote with their money" arguments. I have no faith in the average consumer, if consumers were smart homeopathy wouldn't be thing but you can buy that poo poo right alongside real medicine at any pharmacy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

It took way too long for me to convince my roommate that the Laser Spine Institute would in fact not fix the problems she has with her spine.

I live next to no fewer than three different spine-related companies, LaserSpine (which has a cool building with a roof shaped like a spine), BioSpine and something I forgot the name of. I have no idea what any of them do or how they're supposed to fix your spine but they seem to be doing really well

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Elderbean posted:

Yeah libertarians have a very high opinion of the average consumer, you'd have to in order to make these dumbass "everyone will vote with their money" arguments. I have no faith in the average consumer, if consumers were smart homeopathy wouldn't be thing but you can buy that poo poo right alongside real medicine at any pharmacy.

They also believe consumers are making choices of their own free will, rather than market forces forcing them

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Yeah libertarians have a very high opinion of the average consumer, you'd have to in order to make these dumbass "everyone will vote with their money" arguments. I have no faith in the average consumer.

Moreover under an ideal capitalist world where everyone is beholden to The Dollar, how is the platonic ideal rational sophisticated Consumer gonna get accurate information? There's already a strong element of "pay to play" where bad reviews get buried on stuff like Yelp and the BBB. I have no doubt in your ideal libertarian society Dr. Nick's serial malpractice is only gonna be as visible to someone doctor shopping as his reluctance to pay kickbacks to DoctorbReview.com.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I wish I had to take a break. If I try to take a break people just find me and go "Len this is important and has to be handled now" and nothing I do on a daily basis is important or urgent. Let me eat my goddamn good.

The only respite I get it when I poo poo post in the bathroom

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Elderbean posted:

Yeah libertarians have a very high opinion of the average consumer, you'd have to in order to make these dumbass "everyone will vote with their money" arguments. I have no faith in the average consumer.

I mean not only that but faith that even the super smart perfectly rational consumer will always have perfect information about a situation in the first place, and that they will believe that information in the face of a bunch of opposing narratives.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Ultimately the tendency of economies to centralize over time means that a capitalist states end goal is one company owning everything.

It will be like a planned economy but only serving the interests of a room filled with executives to the exclusion of literally everyone else

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I live next to no fewer than three different spine-related companies, LaserSpine (which has a cool building with a roof shaped like a spine), BioSpine and something I forgot the name of. I have no idea what any of them do or how they're supposed to fix your spine but they seem to be doing really well

Basically it's predatory on people who can get enough money to attempt to get their backs fixed non-surgically.
Seriously, if they're all using lasers, all they do is take a laser and heat up your discs. They claim that it returns bulging or herniated discs to it's normal shape, but there's really no data that indicates how effective it is let alone how long such a snake oil treatment lasts.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically it's predatory on people who can get enough money to attempt to get their backs fixed non-surgically.
Seriously, if they're all using lasers, all they do is take a laser and heat up your discs. They claim that it returns bulging or herniated discs to it's normal shape, but there's really no data that indicates how effective it is let alone how long such a snake oil treatment lasts.

I always assumed they were just treating pain, since I'd think you might be able to cure like, chronic / otherwise untreatable pain using lasers by just blasting the nerves so they can't transmit anymore, but lol of course it's even dumber than that

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's not like, shaped like individual vertebra or anything it's just the overall shape/curves of a spine, in the form of a metal roof. The roof also has a bunch of LED lights on it so it lights up a bunch of rainbow colors at night lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Here it is from the highway:

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9585921,-82.5372847,3a,15y,99.05h,94.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1syj8Lje-wHTdbuDKx6Orrbg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can get closer to it in streetview but it only looks spine-like from the highway overpass, which I think is the design goal.

That whole thing lights up with animated / patterned RGB LED's at night, it's real fun to drive past and see the giant spinal light show :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I always assumed they were just treating pain, since I'd think you might be able to cure like, chronic / otherwise untreatable pain using lasers by just blasting the nerves so they can't transmit anymore, but lol of course it's even dumber than that

Yeah, that was what my assumption was, or maybe shaving some burrs off or something like that. A treatment to minor spine issues from normal wear and tear. Nope, it was literally something that was cashing in on the 80's obsession with lasers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I didn't realize until looking that building up but BioSpine's main clinic is literally the building next to it, I always thought they were a little further away. I wonder if they have like, fights between the staff over which kind of spine is better :allears:

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVLUsEhOtQ
The invisible hand of the market wants to grab some tittays!

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1040292535778861057

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUVLUsEhOtQ
The invisible hand of the market wants to grab some tittays!

So legalize prostitution, but only for creepy exploitative landlords. Cool.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The full quote is better

quote:

“We’ll use the same set of principles that have driven Amazon,” he said in his statement. “Most important among those will be genuine, intense customer obsession. The child will be the customer.”

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

We have a word for people obsessed with children

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

supreme court justice is 3 words

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Conservative?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Inept posted:

The full quote is better

its almost like an investment banker has no idea how the real world works, but yet is somehow insulated from it?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it's "priest", isn't it

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jeff Bæzos

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

g0lbez posted:

Can we refrain from just posting straight up advertisements in this thread because now I want some of those and that doesn't feel right in the capitalism.png thread

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is inside you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is inside you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is outside you.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

hell yea

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is beneath you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The capitalism.png is above you.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Taking biology/ecology classes was fun as gently caress but also extremely depressing because every beautiful ecosystem you look at comes with the caveat of "it's dying or being replaced by industry, enjoy it while it lasts." What's incredibly mind blowing to me are the right leaning people who love hunting and fishing but hate environmentalism. Mental gymnastics are a bitch.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

why does Jeff Bezos keep doing all this poo poo that makes me want to die?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

good work itt goons, lot's of good discussion, some good images, not too much suicide talk...I am very proud to be affiliated with you all.

Still catching up with the thread; I kind of got intimidated when I saw that I had 80 pages to read :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Over Easy posted:

why does Jeff Bezos keep doing all this poo poo that makes me want to die?

Because he's a libertarian, it's an ideology that appeals to the evil/stupid.