Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So if I'm reading the trailer correctly:

Alfred Hitchcock's Birds, except cellphones. We need to make a six million dollar man to fight the cell phones. This man appears to be roughly 60 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

So if I'm reading the trailer correctly:

Alfred Hitchcock's Birds, except cellphones. We need to make a six million dollar man to fight the cell phones. This man appears to be roughly 60 years old.

Please familiarize yourself with the original, Enthiran

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ALFbrot posted:

Please familiarize yourself with the original, Enthiran

The gold standard for the 'Guys with guns for arms' genre of films.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

OK now this I am hype as hell for

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

FilthyImp posted:

Oh man. Immigrant story and you go the lengths to make the immigrant an outsider but give him immense power? That's some fertile ground for storytelling. You can even avoid the Luke Cage comparisons by giving him the optimism of Comics Caucasian Superman despite being an outsider.
I want this more literally more than anything else film-related now, thank you for getting my hopes up to be crushed when they cast Armie Hammer.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Armie Hammer is good, though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you can't afford Armie Hammer, you have to settle for Coastguard Screwdriver.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you can't afford Armie Hammer, you have to settle for Coastguard Screwdriver.

That's the cringiest Benedict Cumberbatch fakename ever, shame on you :mad:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ALFbrot posted:

I, for one, am very excited to replace ostensibly knowledgeable, nuanced critiques with the equally nuanced thoughts of people who like Cinema Sins.

Holy poo poo
Holy Chitti.

What If Cellphones But 2.0Much?
Pretty sure this needs a US release because holy loving christ I need to see this with some friends and booze.

NorgLyle posted:

I want this more literally more than anything else film-related now, thank you for getting my hopes up to be crushed when they cast Armie Hammer.
I was driving home last night thinking about that Superman idea and I just kept thinking...

Period piece, set in the 60s at the height of the Civil Rights movement.

Immense powers and abilities, overwhelming responsibility to help others, feared because of the color of his skin, what he represents as an empowered black man yet powerless against the forces of cultural prejudice. You can even have it where Clark, though skilled, is relegated to menial poo poo because they can't have a black man write for the Planet -- or maybe it's the opposite and Perry has a woman and a black man on staff because gently caress what they say they can write and they're good reporters.
Man, you can even go the way of making Luthor a Carpetbagger setting up shop in Metropolis to bring "good ol' AMERICAN Country values" back to the city. Make him an insanely connected political figure.

It'll never in a million years happen, but gently caress if it isn't something I want to watch.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 13, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm surprised people are still questioning Armie Hammer's acting chops after Call Me by Your Name.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I actually liked Armie Hammer in The Lone Ranger. :blush:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like that his first ever on-screen acting role was as the guy who calls George-Michael "Star Dork" in the Arrested Development episode about the class election.

I also thought he was great in Sorry to Bother You.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually liked Armie Hammer in The Lone Ranger. :blush:

He's good in The Man From U.N.C.L.E. too.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I know he's good, that's why I used him in my dumb example of the 'solid, safe, trad. Hollywood' move that the imaginary WB I was complaining about would make instead of Michael B. Jordan.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

R-rated super hero movie Venom is now rated PG-13

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:stare:

I think I know why my sister in law loves Hindi movies now hahaha

Tars Tarkas posted:

R-rated super hero movie Venom is now rated PG-13
lmao, well now it's definitely not worth seeing!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I thought it was always PG-13

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I thought it was always PG-13
I think originally it was supposed to be R, but apparently:

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1040335513511714817

Can't have any fun with super hero villain movies because they need to be able to appear in the same movie later on!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think originally it was supposed to be R, but apparently:

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1040335513511714817

Surely he means the reason is the impartial ratings board viewed the film and judged the rating based on content

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Eager for the deluge of "We're really pushing the boundaries of what you can do in a PG-13 movie" and "Really, we just had to cut a second, sometimes even just a frame, here and there...It still has the sensibility of an R-rated film" quotes during the press barrage

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Teenagers see movies if they want to see movies. There's never a 15 year old standing sad outside of a theater thinking "Bummer, I'd see Deadpool if only I were a few years older! Oh well gonna go see Zootopia instead."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Remember Punisher War Zone? Remember pre-MCU when comic book characters could sometimes appear in movies that were faithful to the source material without worrying about being tied to a larger shared universe?

Those were the days.

Of course, those were also the days of poo poo like Daredevil (2003), so it wasn't all perfect.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

They dubbed Venom from saying "gently caress Batman" to "Fudge Batman" to get an extra $15 million plus having Venom in Avengers 6: City Under Siege

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Teenagers see movies if they want to see movies. There's never a 15 year old standing sad outside of a theater thinking "Bummer, I'd see Deadpool if only I were a few years older! Oh well gonna go see Zootopia instead."
Whoa, red flag, Bobby! I have been advised to provide parental guidance for this movie.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Having Venom as a Non-Lethal Protector is some B.S. in my opinion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Remember Punisher War Zone? Remember pre-MCU when comic book characters could sometimes appear in movies that were faithful to the source material without worrying about being tied to a larger shared universe?

Those were the days.

Of course, those were also the days of poo poo like Daredevil (2003), so it wasn't all perfect.

Deadpool and Logan are yelling at you

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Deadpool and Logan are yelling at you
Deadpool sucked rear end and Logan was alright but overhyped, although I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to those :v:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Deadpool sucked rear end and Logan was alright but overhyped, although I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to those :v:

You’re in the right my simian friend.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I thought it was obvious the film wasn't R when Hardy said he wanted his son to be able to watch it back in July.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, I thought it was obvious the film wasn't R when Hardy said he wanted his son to be able to watch it back in July.
How old is Tom Hardy's son? Dude's old enough that he could have a kid that could see R-rated movies

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

How old is Tom Hardy's son? Dude's old enough that he could have a kid that could see R-rated movies

Ten years old

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any better case than Hardy's of an actor whose intended big break into Hollywood was enough of a damp squib that it should have killed his career (in his case, Star Trek: Nemesis) but then they managed to come back a few years later and end up being one of the biggest stars around?

Maybe Jessica Lange in King Kong? (Except I think that movie at least made money.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JethroMcB posted:

Eager for the deluge of "We're really pushing the boundaries of what you can do in a PG-13 movie" and "Really, we just had to cut a second, sometimes even just a frame, here and there...It still has the sensibility of an R-rated film" quotes during the press barrage

I mean if they shot the movie for an R and cut it down (or just didn't get the R and didn't want to actively add stuff to push the rating), they won't be lying, necessarily. Most of the poo poo things about PG-13 action are caused by actively shooting for that rating.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is there any better case than Hardy's of an actor whose intended big break into Hollywood was enough of a damp squib that it should have killed his career (in his case, Star Trek: Nemesis) but then they managed to come back a few years later and end up being one of the biggest stars around?

Maybe Jessica Lange in King Kong? (Except I think that movie at least made money.)

I'd hesitate to call her a big star, but this sort of happened with Andie MacDowell. She was considered so bad in her first movie that she ended up being completely dubbed by Glenn Close and a few years later got a lot of attention for Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 13, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Almost Blue posted:

I'd hesitate to call her a big star, but this sort of happened with Andie MacDowell. She was considered so bad in her first movie that she ended up being completely dubbed by Glenn Close and a few years laters got a lot of attention for Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Really? Wow, that's something. I've never seen Greystoke so I hadn't heard of that.

Hmm. Speaking of Andie MacDowell, Green Card is probably going to a bit more uncomfortable to watch in future if those Gerard Depardieu allegations turn out to be true, isn't it?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So? They’re still r rated comic book movies that are super violent and did well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Really? Wow, that's something. I've never seen Greystoke so I hadn't heard of that.

Hmm. Speaking of Andie MacDowell, Green Card is probably going to a bit more uncomfortable to watch in future if those Gerard Depardieu allegations turn out to be true, isn't it?
I watched Greystoke this summer, it's alright, nothing to write home about though. I'd finally gotten around to watching Highlander II, which was so bizarre that I couldn't even understand being mad about it, and decided to see what else Lambert had been in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

I watched Greystoke this summer, it's alright, nothing to write home about though. I'd finally gotten around to watching Highlander II, which was so bizarre that I couldn't even understand being mad about it, and decided to see what else Lambert had been in.

Highlander 2 was probably the strangest Batman '89 cash-in attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Highlander 2 was probably the strangest Batman '89 cash-in attempt.
It feels like they actually thought they were making a masterpiece. Which usually helps when you're going to make a bad movie since it might as well be an interesting bad movie. It starts with a solid half hour of Lambert's Brando impression in old guy makeup for fucks sake.