Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

raditts posted:

What would you consider a good home wifi router? I have a Netgear Nighthawk X6 or something like that, the only times I have wifi problems is on Wii U and Switch games.

I would defer to the wisdom of the folks in The Home Networking Megathread. At a glace I would assume something that pricey would work, but :rolldice: when it comes to this junk. Beyond throwing money at the problem you are talking about getting into some weeds w/r/t networking far as using 5ghz over 2.4ghz, MTU settings, turning off older wifi protocals, the security type for the wifi, and a dozen other things I'm not going to remember this early until one magically makes it all work better for no real plain reason.

10 years ago when my Wii stopped talking to the router above 20kb/s I ran a cable across the floor and got a ethernet adapter. Much as I went on a wifi sucks rant, Nintendo sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Elman posted:

If anything, save upload would allow Nintendo to put those saves through some kind of validation so people won't be able to do blatant stuff like getting unreleased items.

People would find a way to fake the validation. There's next to nothing that can be done to prevent what this system is supposed to prevent, and it's probably not even worth fighting it.

The biggest problem here is that the single-player campaign is basically woven into the multiplayer because of item and weapon unlocks, so your options are:

1) Require online validation for single-player and multiplayer, effectively making Splatoon 2 online-only.
2) Have two separate saves, an offline client-side single-player save and an online server-side multiplayer save, that run checks on each other for validation.

Unless Splatoon 2 is built to change to either of these, you might get one of these in Splatoon 3.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Takoluka posted:

People would find a way to fake the validation.

B...Blockchain?!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Socialize inventories. When everyone has pure gear, no one will need to dupe.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

LPG Giant posted:

B...Blockchain?!

Finally, some good suggestions!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
If you're in the lookout for a figurine and amiibo don't cut it for some reason, there's a Inkling figma up for preorder.

As for other news, well... let's hope this week features that Nintendo Direct that was postponed last week.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Takoluka posted:

People would find a way to fake the validation. There's next to nothing that can be done to prevent what this system is supposed to prevent, and it's probably not even worth fighting it.

The biggest problem here is that the single-player campaign is basically woven into the multiplayer because of item and weapon unlocks, so your options are:

1) Require online validation for single-player and multiplayer, effectively making Splatoon 2 online-only.
2) Have two separate saves, an offline client-side single-player save and an online server-side multiplayer save, that run checks on each other for validation.

Unless Splatoon 2 is built to change to either of these, you might get one of these in Splatoon 3.

Or they could have only Level/Rank/Power tied to server verification (information they already have on a server, as evidenced by the functionality of the app) since those things already only happen online and and have literally everything else be local with the option to have a cloud save, because who cares about people subjecting themselves to the tedium that is save scumming gear.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

If you're in the lookout for a figurine and amiibo don't cut it for some reason, there's a Inkling figma up for preorder.

As for other news, well... let's hope this week features that Nintendo Direct that was postponed last week.

They are cool and well made and reasonably priced for their quality but dammit make something different than what's already an amiibo. If they had any gear I use at all ever I would consider it. They don't.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i think they wouldve gotten a lot of mileage out of a salmon run inkling girl/boy body and hat with interchangeable heads or something

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

kidfresca posted:

Or they could have only Level/Rank/Power tied to server verification (information they already have on a server, as evidenced by the functionality of the app) since those things already only happen online and and have literally everything else be local with the option to have a cloud save, because who cares about people subjecting themselves to the tedium that is save scumming gear.

this.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Are you listening Nintendo. are you reading are posts

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kidfresca posted:

who cares about people subjecting themselves to the tedium that is save scumming gear.

There was an early bug where an EXP Ticket in one part of Octo Valley would respawn every time you entered the area, and this was explicitly fixed, despite the fact that the only benefit to levels is getting 1 extra Sea Snail at a time.

Nintendo does not want to give anyone any advantages, even if they don't really matter, and it's apparent that they'll nuke cloud saves over it. It's dumb, sure, but until the present a fix, all we can do is bitch on the internet about it.

But remember, this isn't a Nintendo-exclusive position. The NBA2K games aren't getting cloud saves, and neither is Dead Cells, for some reason. I don't really get what the deal is.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Just occurred to me, it'd be cool if the splatfest was like an actual concert and had different songs playing, like a set list.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s pretty much impossible to not get banned now if you go online with a hacked Switch.

How's that? I thought the one vulnerability is totally untraceable, since it's on a level below the Switch OS.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Takoluka posted:

There was an early bug where an EXP Ticket in one part of Octo Valley would respawn every time you entered the area, and this was explicitly fixed, despite the fact that the only benefit to levels is getting 1 extra Sea Snail at a time.

Nintendo does not want to give anyone any advantages, even if they don't really matter, and it's apparent that they'll nuke cloud saves over it. It's dumb, sure, but until the present a fix, all we can do is bitch on the internet about it.

But remember, this isn't a Nintendo-exclusive position. The NBA2K games aren't getting cloud saves, and neither is Dead Cells, for some reason. I don't really get what the deal is.

The explanation is never going to be more complicated than "Nintendo is backwards and weird," but they are spiting 5+ million players to stop the very small amount of players who were too lazy to use the easily available/accessible save editor in the 4 months when that stuff was a free-for-all but also somehow not too lazy to waste all of their free time deleting and restoring their save for more chances at the RNG machine instead of using the system they purposely added to make gear building accessible at the normal rate you play the game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

kidfresca posted:

The explanation is never going to be more complicated than "Nintendo is backwards and weird," but they are spiting 5+ million players to stop the very small amount of players who were too lazy to use the easily available/accessible save editor in the 4 months when that stuff was a free-for-all but also somehow not too lazy to waste all of their free time deleting and restoring their save for more chances at the RNG machine instead of using the system they purposely added to make gear building accessible at the normal rate you play the game.

I agree, but again, companies that are not Nintendo are also doing it, so we need to understand why multiple companies are being "backwards and weird" about it.

Hell, back on PS3, one of the Dragon Age games explicitly barred you from backing up its save data, and the save data couldn't even be moved via system transfer if you got a new console. I don't think anyone knows why that is, even now. Companies are just weird about save data.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Nintendo announced that Nintendo Switch Online service starts September 18th. But fret not: Nintendo in their infinite generosity is offering a 7-day trial run of the service, so you can play Splatoon 2 during that time.

Also that Nintendo Direct is coming this Thursday, so finally some news about Splatoon 2 perhaps.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
I think I asked myself the quintessential question of Splatoon 2 after a losing streak last night:

“On a scale of Goo Tuber to Splattershot Pro, how frustrated are you with this game right now?”

Picked up the pro and got 20+ k/a after that. It always feels kind of boring but sometimes you just gotta go splat some fools and win.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

new charger omg omg

its a kensa brand one too omg

e:

Smiles fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 13, 2018

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

That new song was awesome. So excited for more Splatoon music

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1040361544146665473

A big fat update number 4. Includes a new stage, new weapon sets and subs and supers and oh god new modes.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Splatoon is my favorite anime!

All of that looks really cool.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Introducing the Toni Kensa collection. Coming... in a couple of hours?!?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i need this as a poster lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is 100x Battle a battle royale mode...

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

In Training posted:

https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/178056143339/starting-with-ver400-splatfests-in-splatoon-2
It's a modifier that happens randomly in splatfest.

quote:

In addition to the above, 10x Battles will be added in both divisions. These are rare matches that will occur if you are lucky, and if you win, your contribution points will be multiplied by 10! And believe or not, there is a rumor that super rare 100x Battles could also occur!

Also, I guess they're changing splatfests a bit.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

In Training posted:

No.

To quote Squid Research Lab:

Squid Research Lab posted:

In addition to the above, 10x Battles will be added in both divisions. These are rare matches that will occur if you are lucky, and if you win, your contribution points will be multiplied by 10! And believe or not, there is a rumor that super rare 100x Battles could also occur!

They pretty much updated Splatfest to a complete new system. Let's see if this will make Marina win more matches.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i'm glad they're finally changing up splatfests

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Toni Kensa collection is confirmed to be Splatoon 2's versions of Sheldon's picks! The kits are as follows:

Splattershot: Suction Bombs + Tenta Missiles
Splat Roller: Splat Bomb + Bubble Blower
Splat Charger and Splatterscope: Sprinkler + Baller
Splat Dualies: Suction Bomb + Baller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is loving awesome.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Starfish Stage will return September 15th. Or 14th. Anyway, soon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll have to pull myself away from MonHun finally to play some Splatoon again this weekend.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t expect a 4.0 update. This owns.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I guess the new specials shown in the trailer aren't coming right away?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Starfish Stage will return September 15th. Or 14th. Anyway, soon.

Nice new avy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Peewi posted:

I guess the new specials shown in the trailer aren't coming right away?

this was just posted

along with news about a outfit pack theyre bundling with 12-month subscriptions to the online service, based on the outfits of the team that won the Splatoon 2 World Championships https://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/178056634639/we-just-heard-that-as-a-special-offer-nintendo

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
RIP Urchin Underpass. Honestly surprised that didn't make it in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

RIP Urchin Underpass. Honestly surprised that didn't make it in.

I think it’ll still make it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That trailer was incredible omg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Splat Charger and Splatterscope: Sprinkler + Baller

aw yeah im gonna get a lot of use out of this kit

the og kit is pretty solid, didnt care much for the firefin but this is a 100% uptime baller haha just try to get all up in my grill kit if ive ever seen one