Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

windows is the platform with less appealing app library

most windows apps are adware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows itself is adware actually

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

windows is extremely bad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Word: also bad

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1039348980369502208

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
word is bad, and also law offices are the loving worst and will have very goddamn feature in use no security and at least our major revisions of office active, passing file back and forth.

no poo poo your document exploded when your office 365/2016 with change tracking doc was passed to the intern using word 2003, then a clerk running 2010, and finally tweaked on a partner's home office 2011 for mac

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
probably some dumb gently caress junior clerk tried to edit it in google docs too

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

word is bad, and also law offices are the loving worst and will have very goddamn feature in use no security and at least our major revisions of office active, passing file back and forth.

no poo poo your document exploded when your office 365/2016 with change tracking doc was passed to the intern using word 2003, then a clerk running 2010, and finally tweaked on a partner's home office 2011 for mac
objection, wordperfect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i haven't seen a law office using wordperfect since 2006. i've seen a lot of wordperfect files being jammed into word since then, but no one actively using wordperfect

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if i type "something" into the windows 10 search bar how come it says "let's chat"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol. it looks like its triggering cortana

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

lol. it looks like its triggering cortana

something something women in the workplace

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does anyone use their voice assistant for anything other than timers and maybe sometimes alarms/reminders?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

does anyone use their voice assistant for anything other than timers and maybe sometimes alarms/reminders?

does anyone actually use it at all a month after purchase of the thing with it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lawyers are generally extremely conservative* and get set in a workflow that they'll never change. I know a guy who writes out his briefs longhand and has people type them up. this usually leads to using out-of-date bespoke software setups

*not necessarily in the political sense; they're just trained to follow specific patterns and be suspicious of change

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i use siri to set timers when my hands are dirty

that's it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

siri for weather forecasts is nice too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

lawyers are generally extremely conservative* and get set in a workflow that they'll never change. I know a guy who writes out his briefs longhand and has people type them up. this usually leads to using out-of-date bespoke software setups

*not necessarily in the political sense; they're just trained to follow specific patterns and be suspicious of change

lawyers are second only to maybe doctors in terms of do not ever under any circumstances, on pain of death, change this workflow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

unfortunately, they will also just allow poo poo to accrete and are perfectly comfortable letting everyone under them deal with whatever hacked up poo poo gets the job done the first time they need it, leading to huge loving messes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i use siri for:

alarms/timers
weather
reminders
homekit stuff
occasionally music
once in a rare occasion text message by voice
occasionally random trivia

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

i tried using siri in danish to send a text

it did not work out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

i tried using siri in danish to send a text

it did not work out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

law offices are the only people i see using corel's office suite

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

law offices are the only people i see using corel's office suite

some cartographers use Corel Draw

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/chrisgeidner/status/1039359130979500032

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
woah i'm gettin deja vu over here

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

That dialog reminds me of Griffin's "Horny for Responsibility" resume

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

gross

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they need to get the guys from the 90s back off their yachts to teach the current guys how monopolistic browser wars are done; this is just pathetic

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

yeah isn't that just blatantly anti-competitive?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

yeah isn't that just blatantly anti-competitive?

yeeeeeuuuuuuuuuup

you'd think institutional knowledge wouldn't be necessary to remember not to do that thing that got you soaked for ten figures by the courts but here we are

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
i assume that europe-specific versions of windows don't display the ads, and it's not like there's a significant threat of enforcement actions in favor of google from the trump administration, so...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

dont be mean to me posted:

yeeeeeuuuuuuuuuup

you'd think institutional knowledge wouldn't be necessary to remember not to do that thing that got you soaked for ten figures by the courts but here we are

we're talking about a company that paid a huge fine in europe, settled it by agreeing to include a stupid browser ballot in europe-specific versions of windows, and then hosed up and forgot to include it in those versions of windows, thereby accruing another 700 million dollar fine.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
new intel microcode patch hit windows update today, good luck to everyone out there

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

anthonypants posted:

new intel microcode patch hit windows update today, good luck to everyone out there

Is this for spectre ssdb or a different one?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's kb4100347, so maybe it's a re-release of the patch of the same kb that was released in may, and it supersedes kb4346084 which was released at the end of last month, so maybe it's just a combination of those two updates

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

KB4100347 posted:

Important

Consult with your device manufacturer and Intel via their websites regarding their microcode recommendation for your device before applying this update to your device.

uhhhhhh

how is anyone supposed to do that in the age of automatic updates

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dont be mean to me posted:

uhhhhhh

how is anyone supposed to do that in the age of automatic updates
reminds me of pc software installers that still tell you to quit all running programs before launching the installer - something that hasnt been physically possible since like 1993

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i thought that warning was just there to say "save your poo poo now in case your computer needs to restart, because we're not getting sued for lost time/work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
just got this notification while gameing

Only registered members can see post attachments!