Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I would not necessary rule out a bird on price. Could be the people are just trying to find a home and don't care about what they spent (I have found that people trying to rehome a bird and are asking top price did not care about the bird and are just trying to get their money back). The more photo's and information will give a bitter indicator on how they treated the bird. Depending on how cold smart you are, it can be worth checking out the bird before taking the guy home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama likes sitting next to my boyfriend on the couch and it's the cutest thing. Sometimes I get up for a drink or to grab my phone and come back to find a bird has taken my spot

Ha! Knowing that your ex hates parrots makes this all the sweeter.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama likes sitting next to my boyfriend on the couch and it's the cutest thing. Sometimes I get up for a drink or to grab my phone and come back to find a bird has taken my spot

A sailor boy and a bird boy making their mommy proud :3:

Only Archer understands how a group pic works.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 12, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I buy this theory with some birds, but not all. Mine definitely know that my hands/feet/limbs are parts of me and thus good for cuddling :3:

Ama is really basically just a goddamn anime conure isn't he :kimchi:

The personalities suggested by the posture and positioning and general "who's looking where" of this just made me chortle

right to left: MANLY, flirtatious, pooping?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I buy this theory with some birds, but not all. Mine definitely know that my hands/feet/limbs are parts of me and thus good for cuddling :3:

I think the bird stole your man. Condolences.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Looks like Amadeus has got more Opinions about whatever your boyfriend's playing on his laptop that just simply must be shared.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Ama is my favorite. Lil guy has so much character

e: I stayed with my parents over Labor Day and got to hang out with my favoritest dude

Eejit fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 12, 2018

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
still not sure why Literally a Bird is editing out the fact we were a couple

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GoldStandardConure posted:

Non bird chat:

Stranger Things Season 1 - real good
Stranger Things Season 2 - real bad

Bird Chat:

This popped up today on my facebook memories

this is still my favorite photo of Taco

You are wrong about stranger things s2 but right about Taco pictures. It is how I always imagine Taco... vaguely threatening.

S2 wasn’t as good as S1, but it was way up there imo. I was constantly surprised by where they took things, and there was some satisfying growth while deft use of cliches and themes. I agree that it could’ve used a little more space to breathe, for things to develop more naturally, but the finale was awesome and got me so pumped. I got super emotional at the ending.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shark Sandwich posted:

still not sure why Literally a Bird is editing out the fact we were a couple
Because you were being a creep. Drop it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
probably don't comment on your exes new partner or call him cutesy names dude

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Especially not in the bird crazies thread. I mean, it's in the name. We're crazy, and you're creeping on our bird friend.

Don't do that poo poo.

To contribute to the thread:

Ivan liked chilling out on the couch, but only on the upper half. He much preferred being in a lap, on an arm, or on a head. Wasn't a huge fan of the shoulder.

Thankfully he'd leave to poop unless he was in a really bad mood.

This is still my favorite picture of him, though

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 12, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Ok, this all got awkward -

Sorry if I made a "How cute" comment about an ex if that's the case.

Real Talk - How much of a dealbreaker is someone who doesn't like birds? For me, someone who doesn't like birds is someone I will not make children with, ever.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FYI Chapo Trap House stumbled across Skillet's "Bush did 9/11" video :stare: they love it

Just thought you should know in the unlikely event one of them actually links it

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Captain Log posted:

Real Talk - How much of a dealbreaker is someone who doesn't like birds? For me, someone who doesn't like birds is someone I will not make children with, ever.

I'd say it's only a dealbreaker if they hate/can't stand them. As long as they're clear and upfront about not liking your bird/s, it's fine. There's a world of difference between dislike and hate.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Chaosfeather posted:

Especially not in the bird crazies thread. I mean, it's in the name. We're crazy, and you're creeping on our bird friend.

Don't do that poo poo.

To contribute to the thread:

Ivan liked chilling out on the couch, but only on the upper half. He much preferred being in a lap, on an arm, or on a head. Wasn't a huge fan of the shoulder.

Thankfully he'd leave to poop unless he was in a really bad mood.

This is still my favorite picture of him, though

How loving good are hawk headed parrots?

Real loving good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like 'dislike' can often just be born of unfamiliarity. Maybe they don't know how cuddly birds can be and think they're like (even more) expensive fish or something. There's a chance you can change 'dislike' to 'tolerate' or even 'enjoy' given enough time and a quality, well trained, bird.

Hate is a dealbreaker. I feel like hate can't be changed.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Sekkira posted:

I'd say it's only a dealbreaker if they hate/can't stand them. As long as they're clear and upfront about not liking your bird/s, it's fine. There's a world of difference between dislike and hate.

i feel like having parrots would be a dealbreaker for someone who dislikes them as soon as they have a screamy moment

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hate can be fixed, though it's not your responsibility to help someone fix it. Source: might as well admit it, I actually grew up hating pet birds as needy messy dirty loud things that just sat in a cage and died because that was my parents' experiences with birds. I was totally cool with rescued raptors in rehab because the context was totally different--not in your home, they're not intended to be domestic, etc.

It wasn't until well into, geeze, my twenties that I had enough contact with parrots to get it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Actually, seeing Gaston's, like, Very Willful Antics flipped me from liking parrots to volunteering with them more and loving them

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Spencer's still averse to stepping up off his cage. I think it is some sort of dislike of his feet being touched, which I have been slowly working on. He is a total and healthy suck for interaction, scritches and pets and all that. We are still not forcing/frightening him off his cage unless necessary for reasons like the vet or cage cleaning. However, we bought a new red broom and when I brought it up to the living room he freaked out immediately and flew off to the other side of the house. It did allow me to get these rare candid photos of Mr. Handsurm Borb being a big ol' scardey cat (or doing anything really as he is hates cameras):

Edit: I would like to note that all that pop in the background was for my in-laws who were in town.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Coming from a former parrot-owner status, I have to say they don't have to love my animals, but are willing to tolerate them. It's partially a situational thing though. My older sister hated Ivan, but they could still live together because there was enough room that they almost never interacted beyond "Hi noise machine" and ((happy screams/flock calling)).

In a one-room apt, Ivan hated my roommate, which made it a lot harder. My roommate wasn't super in love with birds but tried to interact with him and was met with violence after she cut her hair. It made things tense and not happy for either of them, but it was survivable.

For a date, they have to know that animals are part of my family. I need to be able to trust my partner to rescue my animal in the case of an emergency and I am not in the immediate vicinity. That's basically where the line is for me. If they are on the "save them" line, even if they don't like it or even don't succeed, I can work with them. If they would let my critter die, no deal.

On the other side of the coin, if I was dating someone who had a tarantula (as a bit of an arachniphobe) I would still rescue them, take them to a vet, care for them if my partner needed me to. My personal comfort and 'ick' factor does not outweigh the needs of a critter who is dependent on others. What I ask of my partner I must be willing to do for them.

Just maybe don't drop a spider in my lap on the first date.

edit: What a pretty bird! Of course anything used to clean would be hated by a bird, save for water.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0hLIqWpJpQ&ab_channel=PhantomSun

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's apparently evidence that ravens can be paranoid about non existent birds wanting to steal their stash.

(Obviously slight clickbaity paraphrasing, but the experiment is pretty cool)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I like tarantulas, they're pretty chill. I used to work at a museum where we would let people interact with animals, I worked with the invertes. I remember demonstrating one of the Chilean Rose Hairs when suddenly the phone rang, the spider crawled on top of my head while I took the call.

That's bad because if they fall from even a short distance, they can die. That's a major disadvantage to being a big spooky spoder.

The only birds we had were ones that we would rehabilitate but we had hawks and owls.

In other news Budger dropped his bell and turned into a banan at the noise. More on this story later.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

There's apparently evidence that ravens can be paranoid about non existent birds wanting to steal their stash.

(Obviously slight clickbaity paraphrasing, but the experiment is pretty cool)

everyday goast read a book about this called The Genius of Birds, by Jennifer Ackerman

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1039540861875499008

Is it weird that I watched this and immediately thought 'Tendai needs to see this?'

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No because it's extremely my thing

Look at that little guy go :3:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How have you not seen that yet??!!?!??

Holy moly, if you haven't wasted hours on YouTube doing so yet, go search for "bird memes" and thank me later

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh I have but it's always delightful. My YouTube recommendations are like 50 percent birds at this point :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Potato Salad posted:

FYI Chapo Trap House stumbled across Skillet's "Bush did 9/11" video :stare: they love it

Just thought you should know in the unlikely event one of them actually links it

Can I get a link because if it's a bird screaming about 9/11 conspiracies like some sort of avian Alex Jones I need that poo poo in my life.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Jamaican Todies are so cute. What are your favorite small cute fluffy birds? I'd like to see them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Jamaican Todies are so cute. What are your favorite small cute fluffy birds? I'd like to see them.

How about my least favorite?

This fucker lives in a tree close by my bedroom window and more mornings than not decides to start singing the song of his people around 5 or 6 AM.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Poor thing just wants food or sex at the crack of dawn.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
crossposting from schad thread:
https://i.imgur.com/SBHob6n.mp4

For some reason this just looks like how my quaker parrot acts when encountering a new object. Parrots, long lost relatives of crocs???? Pretty sure they also make the same hiss sound too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StarMinstrel posted:

For some reason this just looks like how my quaker parrot acts when encountering a new object. Parrots, long lost relatives of crocs???? Pretty sure they also make the same hiss sound too.

Floridian here, that is a gator doing its "I am very pissed off at this thing invading my territory, stay back or I'm gonna gently caress you up" body language. If you see a gator ever looking like that in the wild, run.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Cythereal posted:

Floridian here, that is a gator doing its "I am very pissed off at this thing invading my territory, stay back or I'm gonna gently caress you up" body language. If you see a gator ever looking like that in the wild, run.

gators descend from parrots, gotcha!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

that's great, i'm glad they enjoyed it

practically the intended audience

Kitfox88 posted:

Can I get a link because if it's a bird screaming about 9/11 conspiracies like some sort of avian Alex Jones I need that poo poo in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOpqwn9NHJo

we've got some more of these kicking around somewhere, this was just the one most at hand

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 14, 2018

Clary
Jan 6, 2011

What are birds?
We just don't know.
This one is much better! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB5I_klBLJ4

Incidentally, I have a metric gently caress ton of videos I never got around to editing. I kind of lost steam when I broke my phone. May try and pick through and get some up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

StarMinstrel posted:

gators descend from parrots, gotcha!

Gators and crocs are the closest-related living reptiles to birds, yes.