Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Woah actual Megaton ffxv pocket is the same price as the other consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

tithin posted:

what's the goonsensus on xenoblade 2, someone on twitter was geeking out that the season pass was functionally a new game

I'm not sure aobut the later additions since I was done with the game by the time they were released, but I found Xenoblade 2 to be pretty fun. The combat is good but takes a while to get properly going and story is really dumb anime melodrama (which I like) but some of the core mechanics in that game are just really really bad (like the gacha and the lack of qol features). The story could also have used a bit less padding.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 14, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

tithin posted:

what's the goonsensus on xenoblade 2, someone on twitter was geeking out that the season pass was functionally a new game

The reason everyone is so excited that the season pass is functionally a new game is because the Xenoblade 2 has some really, really stupid core mechanics that absolutely nobody likes or understands why they exist and the season pass stand alone DLC removes it entirely.

If you can deal with said stupid mechanics the rest of the game its a perfectly fine, if narratively weak, single-player MMO feeling RPG mixed with some character designs and camera angles that will leave you wondering if the entire development of the game was done in the Sahara desert because the designers are that thirsty.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The best review of Xenoblade I read was "it's the best game I ever hated to love."

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Let's not pretend that you couldn't play SNES emulators online like 15 years ago

you could, on zsnes, an incredibly janky emulator, which was buggy or desynced a lot and drop, and they actually dropped support of that over 11 years ago
or you could use kaillera, which kind of works

retroarch can manage it with rollback netplay and its actually quite nice but its a fairly non trivial implementation

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I remember this looking super good and can't wait to try it on Switch.

So, what are the chances it gets a vertical mode option ala Ikaruga?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sam Faust posted:

I remember this looking super good and can't wait to try it on Switch.

So, what are the chances it gets a vertical mode option ala Ikaruga?

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1040385302215491584

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I'm terrible at this game on my phone

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Also I love Devolver

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sure, I'll play FF9 on my Switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

Woah actual Megaton
Please no.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

The Kins posted:

Here's the release list for NES Online for the rest of the year, courtesy of the Nintendo website:

At Launch:
Soccer
Tennis
Donkey Kong
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
Dr. Mario
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. 3
Double Dragon
River City Ransom
Ghosts'n Goblins
Tecmo Bowl
Gradius
Pro Wrestling
Excitebike
Yoshi
Ice Hockey
Baseball

October:
Solomon's Key
NES Open Tournament Golf
Super Dodge Ball

November:
Metroid
Mighty Bomb Jack
TwinBee

December:
Wario's Woods
Ninja Gaiden
ADVENTURES OF LOLO

No Urban Champion... no thanks.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Andrast posted:

Sure, I'll play FF9 on my Switch
Yeah, if there was any chance of me playing a new game at any time in the future before, it died the second they said nine. If they add in the Steam QoL stuff like speeding up random encounters, I'm just gonna play it even more to make up for that time saved.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I've only played FF8 and like half of 10. Maybe I'll give 7 a shot.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

Was watching the Direct while cooking dinner and did a dance when Katamari came up. Dinner also turned out well, so it was a pretty good day.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm worried these NES joycons will end up limited and expensive. Guess you could always sell the spare one if you only need one.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

I am hyped for FF9, the last good mainline FF game, to be on the Switch.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SeANMcBAY posted:

If it makes you feel better and less old, most young kids I’m around really like NES and SNES games. I brought my SNES Classic to a family gathering and the kids seemed more interested in it than the PS4 that was also there. I think Minecraft has conditioned them to the pixel aesthetic.

Kids are fascinated by the new tech toy that is hard to get at the store that they can only play for a limited time because someone brought it, shocking! I guarantee if they had the thing they wouldn't play it beyond 2 weeks.

The general consensus I hear from everyone I personally know that got an NES and SNES classic, like co-workers and friends (me included), is that they play it for like a week or two and then it starts collecting dust. As sad as that is. Part of the thrill was the hunt to find one and the elusiveness of the thing. But then you get it and you quickly realize that the games are not going to hold your interest that long.

Which is probably why Nintendo drip feeds this stuff out. I remember getting Virtual Console games on the Wii when a couple would come out every week. One time I looked at my play time, and it was pathetically low. I bought SMB Lost Levels and played it one for like 15 minutes. Not the best use of $5, I guess...

I honestly thought that the reason that Nintendo was going to make the online NES games limited for just a month was to push the online community towards them so they are not dead instantly. Some Switch game online communities are currently dead.... like, assuming they let people play online with strangers, I can't imagine that in a year that you'll even be able to easily find an online opponent for a game like Tennis or Baseball.

At least with them drip feeding games I'll be more motivated to check out a game like Mighty Bomb Jack when it's new and novel for a month, rather than probably not touch because it's in a huge collection of games that I have no nostalgia factor for

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Undertale also got a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsh2VUeO8A

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

no Castlevania games in the NES library? I can understand why Mega Mans were held out due to the existing collection Capcom has but holding back Castlevania seems odd, especially when it was just put back in the spotlight with Smash Bros.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Is it true that you can gently caress the skeleton in undertale?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Downwell with the FlipGrip in tate mode is gonna be great. I've tried to play that game on various platforms and always gotten frustrated but this should be perfect.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

no Castlevania games in the NES library? I can understand why Mega Mans were held out due to the existing collection Capcom has but holding back Castlevania seems odd, especially when it was just put back in the spotlight with Smash Bros.

maybe it means a castlevania collection is coming.................

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Is there a preferred place to buy single joy cons other than ebay?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is the phrase "tate mode" used elsewhere, in another game or in the Switch itself somewhere?

I'm just curious why that's being used here instead of plain old "vertical mode." Haven't seen anybody out there talking about yoko mode.

EDIT: outside of castlevania dawn of sorrow heyo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Animal Crossing! Confirmed! yeah? I'm excited. Yay!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Not that it wouldn't be, but like, speculation. Happy to finally confirm that a Switch version is in the works.

Curious about no actual footage. Do these things end up being outsourced jobs? Wonder if they're still internally trying to figure out what this game shoudl look like internally. Moew.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Is there a preferred place to buy single joy cons other than ebay?

Amazon and Best Buy seem to only have black as a single...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This was a great direct! There are lots of great games coming up.

Legit looking forward to World of FF since I didn't get it before and I'm glad I waited for it to come out on gods perfect console.

Also D3 coming out this soon is loving great too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Switch Animal Crossing is probably still in very early stages of development. Much like Metroid Prime 4 it's probably an early announcement to assure fans that they haven't completely forgotten/discarded the franchise to be Smash and Mario Kart fodder like F-Zero. Chances are they're still working out what the game is going to look like.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Animal Crossing [Cloud Version]

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is the phrase "tate mode" used elsewhere, in another game or in the Switch itself somewhere?

I'm just curious why that's being used here instead of plain old "vertical mode." Haven't seen anybody out there talking about yoko mode.

I've only ever seen it used for shmups, where tate/yoko is a little more clear than saying horizontal/vertical because there are games that scroll vertically but still use monitors in the 4:3 orientation.

I guess there's no reason it couldn't be called portrait/landscape, but tate is what's in common usage because nerds.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Switch Animal Crossing is probably still in very early stages of development. Much like Metroid Prime 4 it's probably an early announcement to assure fans that they haven't completely forgotten/discarded the franchise to be Smash and Mario Kart fodder like F-Zero. Chances are they're still working out what the game is going to look like.

i can't imagine that's the case given there's a 2019 date attached to it. they've likely been sitting on it for a while and letting fans drive themselves into a froth about it, as is their style in the past few years w steering the marketing towards directs etc instead of e3 and normal trade shows

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Consummate Professional posted:

Is it true that you can gently caress the skeleton in undertale?

I can, yes, but not you.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Am I missing something or is using the Joy-con rails to charge the NES controllers a dumb design?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Am I missing something or is using the Joy-con rails to charge the NES controllers a dumb design?

It kind of is but then again it kinda does make sense. I can see where they are going with it.

Doesn't really seem like a huge deal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pissdude posted:

i can't imagine that's the case given there's a 2019 date attached to it. they've likely been sitting on it for a while and letting fans drive themselves into a froth about it, as is their style in the past few years w steering the marketing towards directs etc instead of e3 and normal trade shows

Fair enough, Nintendo tends to be secretive about their games until they have something they feel is worth presenting.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Eh, it's making use of the modular design they already have, combining charging with an easy sync method, and it shows that the Switch can use alternative controllers to the usual Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers. Of course everyone's going to try to play games using the NES controllers attached at least once, but I imagine that's not supported or intended.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I'm confused about whether you can use the NES things in handheld mode. The fact that they use the joy-con rails to charge would make more sense if you *can* use them in handheld mode, but on the other hand it looks a little awkward (the d-pad on the left one extends past the Switch screen) and handheld mode isn't actually mentioned anywhere on the website.

To add to the confusion, they have L/R buttons so they are seemingly usable outside of NES games but are missing other joy-con buttons (and presumably gyro + HD rumble?) so are not fully usable as regular joy-cons??

When I saw the Direct I assumed nerds online would have torn apart the PR and figured out exactly how these work and what exact games they work with, but the nerds are failing me! They're not even asking these questions, let alone answering them!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I seriously doubt you can use them in handheld mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

the fine print mentions that the NES controllers will not function like a regular joy-con.

• Locked thread