Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Oh for sure, plus there just arent many character moments. In mi1 Luthor drools over fancy new toys, in mi2 he's dressing fancy and dowsnt want to get dirty, but in mi6 everyone just gets right to business and almost never even voice a serious doubt, where they might hold up the plan. Their only doubts are filler chatter during action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

got any sevens posted:

Oh for sure, plus there just arent many character moments. In mi1 Luthor drools over fancy new toys, in mi2 he's dressing fancy and dowsnt want to get dirty, but in mi6 everyone just gets right to business and almost never even voice a serious doubt, where they might hold up the plan. Their only doubts are filler chatter during action scenes.

I definitely missed Renner and found the movie didn't do much justice to Cavill's character. Pegg and Rhames should've been written off long ago.

Part of what makes the original so compelling for me to this day, despite a few moments of tech whiz-bang that felt dated even in '96, is how awesome the casting was. Emmanuelle Béart, Vanessa Redgrave, Henry Czerny, Emilio Estevez, Jean Reno, Kristin Scott Thomas :allears: ...it was like a dream ensemble that the series never topped. Everyone felt fleshed out or at least tangible, and the scene direction, editing, suspense, musical cues, etc have aged so loving well even if the SFX are a bit dated.

I miss that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

BLACKkKLANSMAN - (4.5/5). Fantastic film, manages to be extremely funny and horrific, in quick succession. This is the first time I have ever seen a UK audience applaud a film, and I almost did myself. John and Adam absolutely kill it, which really surprised me from Adam (John I'm not familiar with).

Revenge - (4/5). Loses a little bit just because of some horror movie cliches Mostly around waiting too long to shoot at someone. Second guy, why wait for the car? Main guy, just do it immediately through the glass? but gives a fantastic reflection on the male gaze. Matilda would be a great new Lara Croft. Ignore the average 6.3 on IMDB and go by RT's 92%.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Adam Driver being a good actor shouldn't be too surprising if you're familiar with the new Star Wars series where he's pretty much the only one giving a complex performance.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don’t think Adam Driver has had a single performance that wasn’t at least impressive if not show stealing.

Christopher Robin - 4/5 lots of charm and humor, and the plot didn’t take the expected route.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Terminator 2 (1991): A
Following up on watching the original Terminator earlier in the summer. At first, I didn't think I'd like the sequel as much, but the action sequences are even more over the top than the original.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Deadpool 2: B+

Now that we have a kid, my wife and I mostly wait for things to come out on demand/Redbox to see movies. I may be a bit late on this, and I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I found this to be great fun and was better than the first Deadpool. I have no familiarity/nostalgia for the source material, so just going on the merits of these movies alone I like them quite a bit. I remember when Deadpool first came out and people were worried that the success of it would cause superhero movies to completely ape this style, but gratifyingly we haven't really seen that happen. I like that, because it makes the times that this does happen feel funnier and fresher.

Most of my criticisms are holdovers from the first movie. The meshing of the style of humor with the movie's more dramatic moments still doesn't quite work, and some of the support characters were a bit distracting with the direction of their acting. The humor is still great and the action is still fun. As I said, I'm a fan of these films but I'm glad they don't come out as frequently as the other Marvel cookie-cutter films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

Deadpool 2: B+

Now that we have a kid, my wife and I mostly wait for things to come out on demand/Redbox to see movies. I may be a bit late on this, and I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I found this to be great fun and was better than the first Deadpool. I have no familiarity/nostalgia for the source material, so just going on the merits of these movies alone I like them quite a bit. I remember when Deadpool first came out and people were worried that the success of it would cause superhero movies to completely ape this style, but gratifyingly we haven't really seen that happen. I like that, because it makes the times that this does happen feel funnier and fresher.

Most of my criticisms are holdovers from the first movie. The meshing of the style of humor with the movie's more dramatic moments still doesn't quite work, and some of the support characters were a bit distracting with the direction of their acting. The humor is still great and the action is still fun. As I said, I'm a fan of these films but I'm glad they don't come out as frequently as the other Marvel cookie-cutter films.

Deadpool 2 was pretty great; better than the garbage MCU films. The satire angle of comic book lore works really well for pure entertainment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I cooled on Deadpool 2 after realizing in the end that it's actually the exact thing it's making fun of but not in any rewarding way. It's at least not as forgettable as the first one but both of them feel like half baked scripts to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I cooled on Deadpool 2 after realizing in the end that it's actually the exact thing it's making fun of but not in any rewarding way. It's at least not as forgettable as the first one but both of them feel like half baked scripts to me.

I'll be honest, the X-Men series has always interested me more than the rest of the Marvel stock, even when the films are terrible, so DP being a bit of a soft reboot of X-Men properties works by default for me. The direction of the action scenes (especially the truck chase) is straight out of Fury Road, like one of the only action movies since 2015 to learn those lessons. I also love that they fridged (Green Lantern comics being the origin of the term) Morena Baccarin 5 minutes in and then did a take-back in the post-credits because she's one of the best parts of the first movie. Not to mention the X-Force fiasco, which bowled me over.

DP2 is sort of a mess, and 6 of every 10 jokes land with a thud, but boring and formulaic it is not.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

but boring and formulaic it is not.

Except in the end it really is a buddy group team up movie and even goes as far as to literally undo the entire plot making it have zero stakes. I get that it was for laughs but the practical implications of continuing the franchise by falling into those conventions can't be ignored.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Except in the end it really is a buddy group team up movie and even goes as far as to literally undo the entire plot making it have zero stakes.

I know, it's :krad:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dirty Dancing (1987): C+
Not too bad, but not exactly what I was expecting. The plot gave me whiplash - one minute, fairly light "telling daddy about the Outrageous Okona-style 'loveable scamp' type I'm dating", and then a sudden cut to a much more serious issue. Weird mixture of early 1960s and mid-to-late '80s pop culture, but the soundtrack was great.

I actually didn't care all that much for Swayze's character. He felt a bit like a walking cliche: angry at the world, but with a heart of gold if you look beyond his rough exterior. Jennifer Grey was great; a lot hotter (in my opinion) in this movie than as Ferris' sister.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Christopher Robins is a really pleasant story that you should see if you have any sort of affinity for Winnie the Pooh.

I saw Donnie Darko in school but somehow forgot all of it, but you know what, it's really interesting, definitely worth a watch, or even a second one.

Surprisingly, Killer Party has kind of stuck with me in the days since I saw it. It goes off the rails but I dunno I still liked it, and if you like college slasher films it's worth watching.

Skate Kitchen is like a really long dream, worth seeing if you have an affinity for skating or are into seeing a film about that weird post-high school zone that avoids some cliches.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Robin and Marian (1976): B
Reminiscent, to me, of Hook: legendary character returns after a long absence, only to find that things have drastically changed. I think the "older Robin Hood" angle was successful, though the movie doesn't seem especially well remembered (?).

The Man Who Would Be King (1975): B
This is why there's a Prime Directive in Star Trek. I very much enjoyed seeing Connery and Caine play late 19th century con men.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Howard the Duck - better than I remember, it's in the top five of marvel movies, with iron man 3, Blade, cap murica 1, and Hulk. Great campy humor. The biggest issue is too much telling instead of showing, but a fair bit of that is intentional as part of a joke, like when the alien is monologuing about destroying earth while howard dgaf and is having a movie pie fight.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Scanners (1981, David Cronenberg) [Filmstruck] - 3/5 - I actually think this is a fairly awful movie, but it clicks with me. It's just so utterly ridiculous and nonsensical, but still entertaining. It helps that Michael Ironside and Patrick McGoohan make the most out of silly dialogue.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968, Stanley Kubrick] [IMAX 70mm] - 5/5 - I've seen this dozens of times. Hell, I've owned it on tape, DVD, Blu-ray, and even have the UHD on pre-order. I'm working on an essay on how it works as the "final" Cinerama travelogue.

It Happened Here (1964, Kevin Brownlow/Andrew Mollo) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5 - Rewatch. One of the great unknown movies. Its premise is "what if the Nazis conquered England?" and it runs with it. It started as an amateur film and became a no-budget mini-epic that looks frighteningly realistic. Zero stock footage. This should be better known today.

Morocco (1930, Josef von Sternberg) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5 - Meh. I guess Marlene Dietrich in a tux is alluring, but not much going on here.

Dishonored (1931, Josef von Sternberg) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 - Much better Von/Dietrich film! Lots of interesting character play, lovely lighting, and an unexpected ending.

Leningrad Cowboys Go America (1989, Aki Kaurismaki) [Filmstruck] - 4/5 - Often hilarious, even if droll and absurd. Check out Jim Jarmusch doing a Lee Marvin act.

Leningrad Cowboys: Total Balalaika Show (1994, Aki Kaurismaki) [Filmstruck] - 4/5 - Fun, short concert film with a mix of rock and folk.

Three's a Crowd (1927, Harry Langdon) [DVD] - 2/5 - Langdon's directorial debut after being in several by Frank Capra. This simply doesn't work. He's trying to do his own The Kid, yet Langdon barely does anything. It also has borderline inept direction and continuity.

The Chaser (1928, Harry Langdon) [DVD] - 3.5/5 - Wow, huge improvement! I assumed Langdon simply wasn't suited to direct, but this is an often funny, inventive comedy. There's a great gag involving a repo man and a still-wrapped baby carriage, which is about the coldest joke I've seen in a silent.

On the Bowery (1956, Lionel Rogosin) [Blu-ray] - 4.5/5 - New York neo-realism. Bleak, starkly photographed, but with razor-sharp focus on the human condition.

Seconds (1966, John Frankenheimer) [Blu-ray] - 5/5 - So much to still take in about this film. This is about as bleak of a Hollywood film I've ever seen from the 60s.

Film (1965, Alan Schneider) [Blu-ray] - 4/5 - Odd short film written by Samuel Beckett and starring Buster Keaton. More a curiosity, but it's neat seeing Keaton giving 110% in someone's weird little experimental work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

got any sevens posted:

it's in the top five of marvel movies, with iron man 3, Blade, cap murica 1, and Hulk.

:thunk: mods???

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Not the Marvel movie we want, but the one we deserve.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

got any sevens posted:

Howard the Duck - better than I remember, it's in the top five of marvel movies, with iron man 3, Blade, cap murica 1, and Hulk. Great campy humor. The biggest issue is too much telling instead of showing, but a fair bit of that is intentional as part of a joke, like when the alien is monologuing about destroying earth while howard dgaf and is having a movie pie fight.

Have you seen Punisher War Zone?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

I have the dvd, ok that might push Howard to 6th

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
All three Punisher movies loving rule, and it's hilarious that they've all basically been disowned

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I Before E posted:

Also none of the Spider Mans

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Night is Short, Walk On Girl is really fun, and still feels imaginative despite the fact that romances are usually completley cliche; you should definitely see it if you have any sort of anime tolerance.

I always thought I would dislike Hot Fuzz for some reason but I was super wrong, this was funny. If you enjoy parody or send up of action movies, or, you just enjoy action movies, see this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rick posted:

I always thought I would dislike Hot Fuzz for some reason but I was super wrong, this was funny. If you enjoy parody or send up of action movies, or, you just enjoy action movies, see this.

Why would you think you would dislike a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost film? That's a crazy thought from anyone, IMHO :v:

Be sure to see Shaun of the Dead and World's End if you haven't seen those too, obviously.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's more a situation of judging those people by some of their most crazed fans rather than actually by the movies. I will eventually check those out, though (although Shaun of the Dead was week 1 in my local theater's Edgar Wright series so I'll have to catch that on my own).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

It's more a situation of judging those people by some of their most crazed fans rather than actually by the movies. I will eventually check those out, though (although Shaun of the Dead was week 1 in my local theater's Edgar Wright series so I'll have to catch that on my own).

Each movie of his is just a little worse than the one before it, so you can basically start with Shaun and hop off wherever he loses you

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
It was the complete opposite for me (except for Baby Driver), but I watched backwards from the order they were released in. Shaun of the Dead, while good, is my least favorite of his movies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Whether you prefer Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz probably comes down to which one you saw first and whether you're more interested in horror or action films.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Whether you prefer Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz probably comes down to which one you saw first and whether you're more interested in horror or action films.

Maybe the first part but I don't know about the second. Shaun's just a lot leaner in a good way

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Leaner in what sense? Because one of the things I admire about Hot Fuzz is the incredible efficiency of its screenplay. There's not a single wasted scene in the film, every part comes with a clear payoff.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

Leaner in what sense? Because one of the things I admire about Hot Fuzz is the incredible efficiency of its screenplay. There's not a single wasted scene in the film, every part comes with a clear payoff.

Part of the issue for me — basically everything in the movie is a setup for a punchline, which makes it a really dense two hours. The second act also does so much heavy lifting for the mystery that it gets bogged down, and having eight or nine endings is a good joke but gets tiring on a rewatch.

Shaun has pretty much all the elements I like from Fuzz, it's just a lot more straightforward once the action kicks off

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Madeline's Madeline - 86/100
Mandy - 89/100

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had to do some searchin' to figure out what this was called since I watched it on public access, but Spider Baby was pretty enjoyable Initially I was a bit thrown because it looks quite a bit rougher than a film from 1967 should look, but as the film goes on you can clearly see it doesn't have the sensibilities of a 40s/50s film even if it has the look. See it if you're into dark comedies, well, at least dark by standards of the 60s.

Rick fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 14, 2018

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A Warm December (1973): B

Star Wars Holiday Special (1978, Rifftrax version):
A+ with the riffs; one of the funniest Rifftrax.
F without.

I had always thought that maybe Star Wars fans exaggerated about the Holiday Special. Then I saw it for myself, and....nope. Terrible. I can't imagine having to sit through that without the riffing. What in hell was up with Mark Hamill's makeup? He looked like he was in drag.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A Warm December (1973): B

Star Wars Holiday Special (1978, Rifftrax version):
A+ with the riffs; one of the funniest Rifftrax.
F without.

I had always thought that maybe Star Wars fans exaggerated about the Holiday Special. Then I saw it for myself, and....nope. Terrible. I can't imagine having to sit through that without the riffing. What in hell was up with Mark Hamill's makeup? He looked like he was in drag.

I'm guessing it was shortly after the accident?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

got any sevens posted:

I'm guessing it was shortly after the accident?

Oh...good point. I hadn't thought of that.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Just watched A Quiet Place and where the gently caress do I even start? I was really stoked to watch it because I heard so many good things about it and loved the premise. Then I got irritated every 10 loving minutes because something happened that didn't make any sense.

- Why are you having a baby when you know it's probably gonna be the end of your whole family?
- Considering the circumstances, the daughter really doesn't seem to have a good reason to act like such a bitch
- That nail scene...come the gently caress on. Where did you think the laundry bag got stuck? And why are you pulling it so hard when it's clearly stuck somewhere??
- The old guy in the forest...what an rear end in a top hat.
- I don't think that's enough water to flood the entire basement in such a short amount of time. But I might be wrong.
- I really don't think that's how silos work.
- Why is she not taking her hearing aid off if it hurts her so much when the monsters are near?
- There's only three of those things, just shoot the first one and let the others come after and shoot them as well!? Though you might defend this one by saying they are too fast.
- gently caress that ending hard. What a loving joke.

The last movie that made me so irrationally mad was the Pacific Rim sequel. Also Krasinski is apparently not capable of shaking that "Jim face".

3/10 with a downward tendency.

Edit: Forgot one - The scene where he saves his children. Why throw the axe away and just submit to the monster? At least you might be able to get a lucky hit and take it down with you. That would already be one down, out of only three.

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 16, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I thought it was pretty bad but mainly because they used the finger-to-lips :ssh: almost every 5 minutes and made it a complete gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

FeastForCows posted:

- Why are you having a baby when you know it's probably gonna be the end of your whole family?

I've heard this complaint quite a few times, and it always baffles me. Aside from the event being consistent with the film's overall themes, living in extremely harrowing conditions has never stopped people from having children.