Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So on FXX they started making """""vaporwave""""" ads for their rerun marathons. The simpsons have hit a new low imo.

Although, this fits the dated timing of the actual show pretty well, to be fair. edit: also wow another terrible new page post by Hrist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The best joke was the bit about the light confirming that the computer is off, but even that is pretty goddamn weak.

It bothers my that they hold on the package of “MyPhonies” for like a half second, even though the store clerk already said the name of them. The joke’s already been delivered, you don’t need to show it to us again.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

CodfishCartographer posted:

The best joke was the bit about the light confirming that the computer is off, but even that is pretty goddamn weak.

It bothers my that they hold on the package of “MyPhonies” for like a half second, even though the store clerk already said the name of them. The joke’s already been delivered, you don’t need to show it to us again.

Bad Simpsons isn't even aimed at the lowest common denominator, it's aiming for the subterranean morlock denominator that even the other subterranean morlock denominators think is kind of slow

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Everything seems to just be padding for time. It's so slow-paced and I always wonder if it's the improved animation, the voice actors getting older, extending run times, or all those and more.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I know it's Youtube comments but

gutz1981
2 years ago
Typical Lisa. Thinks shes so clever, but when her plans fall apart for her, she turns on the "Please feel sorry for me." switch and expects to get away with her mistake. Well TS little girl. Ha ha

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Plan Z posted:

Everything seems to just be padding for time. It's so slow-paced and I always wonder if it's the improved animation, the voice actors getting older, extending run times, or all those and more.

I assume the actual reason for the padding is just laziness. More padding means fewer jokes they need to write. I doubt it's the animation, since that's all done on computers now and likely takes significantly less time than the old hand-drawn stuff, and I doubt it's the voice actors getting older since I don't think they're involved with the writing process? Also I was under the impression that run times have been getting shorter over the years.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
iirc someone involved with the show said that "Mapple" was an intentionally bad parody, partially intended to incite fans. So, the usual contempt for the fanbase the show has held since Al Jean took over as showrunner.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

porfiria posted:

I know it's Youtube comments but

gutz1981
2 years ago
Typical Lisa. Thinks shes so clever, but when her plans fall apart for her, she turns on the "Please feel sorry for me." switch and expects to get away with her mistake. Well TS little girl. Ha ha

tethered swimming?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I assume the actual reason for the padding is just laziness. More padding means fewer jokes they need to write. I doubt it's the animation, since that's all done on computers now and likely takes significantly less time than the old hand-drawn stuff, and I doubt it's the voice actors getting older since I don't think they're involved with the writing process? Also I was under the impression that run times have been getting shorter over the years.

Run times are shorter but the pacing is all hosed up since they linger on "jokes" way too long and also every episode has an A, B, C and D plot

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Hrist posted:

also wow another terrible new page post by Hrist!

oh Hrist! we don't deserve you! and i mean that in the worst way possible

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Improbable Lobster posted:

also every episode has an A, B, C and D plot

ive seen more than my fair share of modern simpsons and id struggle to recall even a single plot thread

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Why is al Jean so mad

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why is al Jean so mad

Imagine trying to lie to yourself for 20 years that the show is just as good as ever. That has to be doing something bad to your brain.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol amateurs, watch the one where they move to denmark (it's this season)

you won't make it 5 minutes in.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Imagine trying to lie to yourself for 20 years that the show is just as good as ever. That has to be doing something bad to your brain.

probably thinks its better now

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Hrist posted:

So on FXX they started making """""vaporwave""""" ads for their rerun marathons. The simpsons have hit a new low imo.

Although, this fits the dated timing of the actual show pretty well, to be fair. edit: also wow another terrible new page post by Hrist!

The vapor wave stuff is just stolen from when Simpsons wave was popular for a week.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'm watching some choice episodes from season 14 and they're real bad lol.

In one ep they even showed a sorta, almost funny-ish visual gag of a exterminator's name painted on the side of a van: "A Bug's Death" complete with a Pixar-like logo. Not great, but then a few minutes later Homer mentions that he only picks exterminator names based on how funny they are.

The writers probably even thought they were clever by crawling up their own rear end and being aware of it. Hilarious

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Uncle Wemus posted:

Why is al Jean so mad

The gently caress happened to him, anyways? He showran some fantastic episodes, but now look at the poo poo he churns out. Did he just stop caring at some point?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I watched some of the Conan writer's roundtable and Al Jean comes across like he's confused, with the least interesting stories. When he's talking I swear Conan is mentally going "oh stop TALKING"

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I just watched a season 28 episode in which a dog explodes, a doctor puts a gun to his head, a tied up woman is driven over by a car covering the windscreen in blood, either Sherri or Terri is pictured drowned in a tank of water, and then Ralph is thrown on the tyre fire.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Horace posted:

I just watched a season 28 episode in which a dog explodes, a doctor puts a gun to his head, a tied up woman is driven over by a car covering the windscreen in blood, either Sherri or Terri is pictured drowned in a tank of water, and then Ralph is thrown on the tyre fire.

halloween?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Normal episode. It was this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Burns%27_Fleeing_Circus

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

quote:

This season’s opener seems fresh. Maybe as fresh as season 20, but who’s counting? From the very opening, which puts an Adventure Time spin on Springfield...'Monty Burns Fleeing Circus' is a full variety show, the likes of hasn’t been seen since about aught nine. Or at least the Pee Wee Pageant of 1913.

Fire this person into the sun.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Watched S28E1. Simpsons go to NYC, because Bart wants to know women don't hate him. So they track down Cletus daughter, who is some kind of adult child. Episode has a killer 9/11 joke.

What trash.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Made it as far as

quote:

Couch gag
The introductory sequence of Adventure Time recreated with characters from The Simpsons.

and can’t read any more of that page. What a loving mess.

(I like your av and username though. I had forgotten about Horace.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I actually sat through the Denmark episode, because most of the "jokes" were just talking about how cool it is to live in Copenhagen. "Homer, do you think I'm handsome? In Denmark, I am considered a 4" got a :hmmyes: from me, but it's a pretty old joke.

It also had a single Danish voice actor with the rest of the screentime being Hank Azaria and whoever doing bad Swedish accents, which is honestly more than I expected.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The already did a Lego episode and what else does anyone know about Denmark? Bacon? Carlsberg?
I tried to think of famous Danes and Sandi Toksvig was all I got.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kierkegaard and Niels Bohr, dude. For shame

e: who the hell is Sandi Toksvig

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

H.C. Andersen, Mads Mikkelsen, Tycho Brahe..

You're playing with the big boys now, Mikkelsen, apparantly!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I was thinking more of living people for the celebrity cameos that Simpsons go to X episodes are based around

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

I was thinking more of living people for the celebrity cameos that Simpsons go to X episodes are based around

Ah.

Who's Sandi Toksvig?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Ah.

Who's Sandi Toksvig?

TV and radio lady no one outside the UK has heard of, including Danes probably.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Then it's just Peter Madsen, I guess if they do another submarine-themed episode

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I watched the first few episodes of Disenchanted, and it's better than over half the Simpsons' seasons and it's still not good

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

So I watched the first few episodes of Disenchanted, and it's better than over half the Simpsons' seasons and it's still not good

The first episode had some weird pacing issues. Like they made sure there was a delay and no music after every joke, maybe for a non-implemented laugh track or something.

It got better, but never really funny.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

bitterandtwisted posted:

TV and radio lady no one outside the UK has heard of, including Danes probably.

She's the current host of QI, which is the patron show of trivia nerds. I'm pretty sure most Danes have no idea who she is, but I'm surprised that there are goons who haven't heard of her.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Disenchantment has the same type of humor as the last seasons of Futurama except in a fantasy setting and even more stale

which is too bad, Bean is a pretty good lead character

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

There’s King Diamond but nobody on current Simpsons is even hip enough to make references to 80s metal.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dimebags Brain posted:

There’s King Diamond but nobody on current Simpsons is even hip enough to make references to 80s metal.

King Diamond owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

Metallica did make an appearance, I'm assuming Lars had some lines