Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Ordered an aluminum and a stainless steel. Aluminum ships next week like they said. The SS won't ship until the week after though.

Are they different colors at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are they different colors at least?

Aluminum is gold. SS is black.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why would you need two watches other than one for each wrist.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
AT&T is processing my S4 SBSS order, says it will be here with the phone next week. I hope they weren't lying.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why would you need two watches other than one for each wrist.

Because one is gold and the other is black. Makes sense to me.

also I feel kind of iffy sometimes doing outdoorsy or sporty and lots of laboratory-specific stuff with my watch, even though it’s arguably supposed to be able to take a lot of abuse and serve as a fitness tracker during physical activity. If I had the means to have a second “beater” watch and a nice shiny one for wearing more formally I’d totally do it, though I know it’s a bit excessive. Also I like the gold and black equally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like all the watches I look at have an October 12 ship date now.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is it expected that the black stainless will be more scratch proof than the other two colors? In terms of the body.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The video at the Timnote had someone opening a door with their watch. Is there an app that can do that? Can the watch mimic rfid?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The video at the Timnote had someone opening a door with their watch. Is there an app that can do that? Can the watch mimic rfid?

It can do NFC, so you need a door lock that can do NFC.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Ordered the 44mm watch and XS max 256 last night from verizon, both supposed to be here next Friday. Will sell my old google pixel after I transfer everything and most likely just splurge for some air pods with that money.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

AdmiralViscen posted:

Is it expected that the black stainless will be more scratch proof than the other two colors? In terms of the body.

Yes. The space black stainless has been around since s0 and is time tested for it’s indestructibility. My s3 looks brand new as does my s2. Like, if I cleaned it real quick and put the original plastic back on you would 100% not be able to tell it’s not brand new.
Space black stainless is the best Apple Watch. Looks the best and is impervious to scratches.
My s4 I ordered is also SBSS, I’ll never stray.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How much of a difference is there? I assume the aluminum just scratches easily?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 14, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Enjoy your new thread title, iNerds.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tab8715 posted:

Aluminum is lighter. And less expensive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Excellent! ❤️

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Because one is gold and the other is black. Makes sense to me.

also I feel kind of iffy sometimes doing outdoorsy or sporty and lots of laboratory-specific stuff with my watch, even though it’s arguably supposed to be able to take a lot of abuse and serve as a fitness tracker during physical activity. If I had the means to have a second “beater” watch and a nice shiny one for wearing more formally I’d totally do it, though I know it’s a bit excessive. Also I like the gold and black equally.
I've broken like...four watches while rock climbing. I've used a bumper case thing since the first or second but occasionally forget, and out of those occasional times are when I've broken them, although at least the last one is just a cracked screen and still works. Unless I get it wet then the touchscreen is a bit unusable.

So anyway having one beater one isn't a bad idea if you know it's going to get trashed. I have AppleCare+ still on this last one so will get it replaced towards the end and keep it around as a workout watch with stupid fat case on it. I still have my busted space black original, $250 to replace but god knows what I'd get back. I remember people getting S2s a while back while some still got S0s. At that price I might as well wait for S3s to get cleared out or just save up to put it towards a S4.

Tab8715 posted:

Yeah, or at least more easily, along with the glass screen. Stainless is probably the easiest to scratch but is the only one where you can just buff out stuff if you wish. Space black is pretty much scratch proof...although I've done it (along with the sapphire). Looks nicer than the gray aluminum, it's like a black with some subtle metallic depth to it if that makes any sense, rather than just like a straight gloss black finish.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

I guess it depends what you do with it. My aluminium is coming up for a year old and just like the poster above, doesn’t have a mark on it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Froist posted:

I guess it depends what you do with it. My aluminium is coming up for a year old and just like the poster above, doesn’t have a mark on it.

Mine is 99.99% perfect but if I look reeeeeaaally hard I can see a tiny nick on the body of my black aluminum S3. As opposed to the carbon coating on the SS which makes it super tough the black finish on the aluminum is as robust as it is on the phones and MacBooks.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Sorry if this has been asked but I never wanted one of these so I've not kept up with the thread. For some reason my wife is wanting one now so I've decided to get her one for Christmas. Judging by the past models, will I be able to just walk in the store and buy one between now and then or are they going to be sold out and I need to order one now and hope?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

loudog999 posted:

Sorry if this has been asked but I never wanted one of these so I've not kept up with the thread. For some reason my wife is wanting one now so I've decided to get her one for Christmas. Judging by the past models, will I be able to just walk in the store and buy one between now and then or are they going to be sold out and I need to order one now and hope?

You should be fine walking in once the launch hubub dies down.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

You should be fine walking in once the launch hubub dies down.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can you not pre order the watch like you can a phone or is there just big demand? Because getting a phone order was super trivial but watches are all estimated available in October.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Can you not pre order the watch like you can a phone or is there just big demand? Because getting a phone order was super trivial but watches are all estimated available in October.

Probably just back ordered a bit now. They were still at launch day shipping when I ordered mine last night

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple is typically very conservative with delivery dates, and people frequently get their things before the estimate and never later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I just couldn't figure out the details via the app. I want to pick up in store to handle a gift card and a trade-in and was hoping to schedule an appointment. Will just freewheel it instead!

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
As of a few hours ago BH still had launch day shipping (unclear if it ships on the 21st or delivers) and if you are outside of NY/NJ no taxes. I think that’s the best bet for the watch.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hahahahahaha yessssss

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

As of a few hours ago BH still had launch day shipping (unclear if it ships on the 21st or delivers) and if you are outside of NY/NJ no taxes. I think that’s the best bet for the watch.

Thanks for the tip!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ordered a Space Black with Milanese loop, and I think I'll grab the new forest green leather loop from the store on the day.

It'd be a nice alternative strap.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

AdmiralViscen posted:

If it's still the same DLC coating, then yes, absolutely.

Just a word of warning if you happen to pair a Space Black stainless with the Space Black Milanese Loop -- the band gets the same DLC coating that the watch case does, and the band will scratch the case if you let it drag along the edges/sensor/screen. Other than the light scratches on the underside of the case from the one time I flubbed up and did the aforementioned cautionary tale, my Series 2 Space Black stainless is flawless.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone selling screen proctor or such yet for the 4 (44)? I had a 3 for about a month before I accidentally dropped it on the ground during a hot day and the screen cracked. Since I got it at Costco I was able to return it but figured to just get the 4 in a month instead of replacing it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://mobile.twitter.com/OvercastFM/status/1041352089644015616

:woop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

God I hope I'm grandfathered out of the ads still.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Sucks that we don't get the ECG right away but I guess I'll still upgrade.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

EpicNemesis posted:

Just a heads up, BH is still showing launch day shipping on their site and will allow you to pre order but my Friday afternoon order now says backordered. Something to consider if launch day is more important than avoiding taxes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They are also closed for Yom Kippur at the exact time they probably need to be shipping watches to arrive on Friday so...

But even so, Apple still is showing Oct 15th as the ship date for the watch I want which is almost a month later.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 17, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

They are also closed for Yom Kippur at the exact time they probably need to be shipping watches to arrive on Friday so...

:jewish:

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

My S0 aluminum was mint until a month ago when I fell and smacked it hard on a rock while hiking, now it has a small crack at the bottom of the screen and a small scratch in the area (still functions 100% though the water sealing is shot with the crack in the screen). I got it near release and have worn it every day. Replacing it with a S4 Nike + Aluminum since I don't see a reason to pay that much more for the SS.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 17, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WatchOS 5 is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WatchOS 5 is up.