Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I can see why people don't enjoy them. It's as much about the experience of working the wood as it is anything else and a CNC can feel like cheating. Definitely a place in the world for them, but I won't have room for one and I :homebrew: my expendable income in other ways. I'm also still very new at this woodworking thing, so it's far out of my needs.

I'm building a bench out of douglas fir, because my wife likes dark finishes and wants it shou sugi ban for finishing. I'm doing maybe two new things on the whole bench, but just scaling up from a small project to something notably larger (it's only 48" long...) is proving to need enough problem solving. It's also going to test my ability to cut things very straight, and a table saw is only good for the regular cuts it would be good at making. Luckily, I stumbled into being able to hide a lot of the joinery where the legs meet the bench. It's definitely not perfect, but it's much better than the last time I tried anything like it. And I'm getting better at cutting straight lines.

It's a very rewarding project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Shellac is fairly water resistant. Alcohol and most solvents will damage it. Easy enough to use, and dries fast. Not my favorite finish to sand between coats or rub out. Zinsser SealCoat is fairly available at big box stores and is just dewaxed shellac-hope you don’t get a can that has been sitting in the shelf for two years. I prefer to wipe it on with a pad, but a brush works too-it just dries so fast it often leaves brush mark. It’s best to thin it way out and put on a million coats but that’s pretty slow and tedious.

Here’s a great article about shellac by Bob Flexner who knows everything. https://www.woodshopnews.com/columns-blogs/shellac-as-a-sealer-its-all-just-hype

I really don’t love polyurethane, but if you can’t spray, it’s your best option for durability. Generally I think shellac looks better but it is not as durable a finish. Danish oil is a good option too-definitely easy, and a nice finish on oak I think.

That was a great article, thanks. I use shellac a lot. I'm finishing a small box with it now.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My friend wants me to cut a hole in his work bench so he can put an upside down circular saw there and make a table saw...

Is this a thing?! O_o

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

My friend wants me to cut a hole in his work bench so he can put an upside down circular saw there and make a table saw...

Is this a thing?! O_o

Yes, but it's not a good thing. I feel like I've seen a few in the OSHA thread.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-a-hand-held-circular-saw-into-a-table-saw/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Is this a thing?! O_o

It's a double goon bonus; a hole cut in the workbench, and a goonsaw fraught with fingats. You can use a radial arm saw as a table saw, if that's all you've got on a jobsite, but it's terrifying.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean, you could probably disassemble a proper $100 table saw if you were deadset on mounting the thing inside a workbench. Then at least you'd get the extremely basic safety parts and you could cut a hole the shape of a top plate or whatever instead of ... all that other stuff.

I mean, hell, take the top off your janky table saw, cut your plate hole in your benchtop then like, push the whole riving knife/blade/kickback protection thing up through it. Just use the table saw body as the legs for that side of the table instead of a sawhorse.

e: but yea, obviously don't do any of these things.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 14, 2018

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Is this a thing?! O_o

One would think cutting a hole in the work bench would be the easy part of building that death trap. Tell him to buy a straight edge and two clamps if he wants to make straighter cuts with his circular saw.

I am not sure why but after 20 something years the table saw is still the one machine I have a fear/respect mindset when I walk up to it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
how can we make this unsafer?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is this a thing?! O_o
Aaaand this is why we can’t have nice things.

Edit:

Phone posted:

how can we make this unsafer?
I would say make the fence way crooked so it definitely kicks back, but that’s guaranteed to happen anyway. A dulll blade will help too.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 14, 2018

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JEEVES420 posted:

I am not sure why but after 20 something years the table saw is still the one machine I have a fear/respect mindset when I walk up to it.

Right there with you. So is my nine-fingered grandfather.

Healthy respect for table saws is important.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I would say make the fence way crooked so it definitely kicks back, but that’s guaranteed to happen anyway. A dulll blade will help too.

I was going to suggest mounting it so that the blade spins up so it'll kick all of your work pieces towards the ceiling.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
This is a much better idea, buy a cheap jobsite saw and build it into a cabinet/tabletop.

I've considered doing this with mine at some point, but I got into hand tools and now it collects (saw)dust.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Right there with you. So is my nine-fingered grandfather.

Healthy respect for table saws is important.

TBH the thing that scares me about tablesaws is more the kickback than the blade. It's not too hard to move your piece through the blade such that there's basically no chance of your body contacting it, but there's more subtleties to making sure you don't take a 30MPH hunk of wood to the sternum.

In any case, I don't own a tablesaw these days. It's periodically annoying but so far I've been able to work around it with bandsaw, router/router table, circular saw (pretty much just for sheet material), and a hand plane.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Is this a thing?! O_o

If you absolutely have to do it ol' Matty Wando's got you covered, but to reiterate what everyone else has said: If your friend needs you to cut a hole for him he has no business frankensteining babby's first fabulously dangerous shop tool. Table saws are scary as hell and I still feel genuinely uncomfortable using them every. single. time.

(Source: I turned my entire hand into a full-swing piano hinge in 8th grade. Even though the scars from the six surgeries have faded a lot, I still can't move my ring/pinky back further than this and there's lots of nerve damage. Pay attention in shop, kids!)

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Sep 14, 2018

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Real talk when I decided I was going to buy a tablesaw I saved up for that sawstop. I put 4 stitches in my finger with a loving chisel for chrissake, I wasn't going to cheap out on a table saw.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

(Source: I turned my entire hand into a full-swing piano hinge in 8th grade. Even though the scars from the six surgeries have faded a lot, I still can't move my ring/pinky back further than this and there's lots of nerve damage. Pay attention in shop, kids!)

Holy poo poo! I managed to flay open my fingers about 10 years ago, but that looks like a paper cut compared to your hand. If the blade had caught bone or a tendon, I most likely would be down at least 2 fingers.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

TBH the thing that scares me about tablesaws is more the kickback than the blade. It's not too hard to move your piece through the blade such that there's basically no chance of your body contacting it, but there's more subtleties to making sure you don't take a 30MPH hunk of wood to the sternum.

In any case, I don't own a tablesaw these days. It's periodically annoying but so far I've been able to work around it with bandsaw, router/router table, circular saw (pretty much just for sheet material), and a hand plane.

This does have a lot to do with it. It is one of the few machines that you stand in the throw path to operate.

Running a lead lined door through a table saw was interesting. The guy helping ran next door to grab leathers and welding mask and wouldn't tell me why. I had cuts all over my face and arms from little hot pieces of led thrown back at me. Lucky though as nobody wore safety glasses in that shop and I could of easily got led shards in my eyes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JEEVES420 posted:

Running a lead lined door through a table saw was interesting. The guy helping ran next door to grab leathers and welding mask and wouldn't tell me why. I had cuts all over my face and arms from little hot pieces of led thrown back at me. Lucky though as nobody wore safety glasses in that shop and I could of easily got led shards in my eyes.

Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

JEEVES420 posted:

"Interesting" is a really flexible word, wow! What kind of shop was this, and why didn't the other dude give you a heads-up? That seems kinda lovely...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

This does have a lot to do with it. It is one of the few machines that you stand in the throw path to operate.

What a son of a bitch. I'm guessing that thing was from a hospital or some clinic, but still, loving hell.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you know of any decent national chains, or stores in Tokyo? Tokyu Hands is good but has a pretty small selection of better-than-big-box-quality hand tools. Would be great to find more specialty or high quality tools.

I used to spend hours in Joyful Honda

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

It was a door and cabinet shop. They were 4ftx8ft lead lined doors for a hospital X-Ray room that we were putting the bevels on. Once you start pushing something 8ft long through a table saw there is not really a safe way to stop it and start it back up so it was just squint and keep pushing.

I apparently got the company fined by OSHA by a surprise inspection. I was standing in a pile/cloud of saw dust smoking a cigarette with no eyes/ears/mask while working.

All of the construction/manufacturing jobs I had when I was younger was like that. The older dudes would have the younger do something stupid/dangerous for their amusement. It was great watching someone get a nail through the foot while roofing. He pulled the nail out and then used his nail gun to fire off shots at the guy (who nailed his foot) as he tried to run for the ladder. Hit him twice in the thigh causing him to fall off the roof. Owner of that company said he only had one rule, if you fall off the roof your fired before you hit the ground. :downs:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Haha, that all rules, thanks for elaborating.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

It was a door and cabinet shop. They were 4ftx8ft lead lined doors for a hospital X-Ray room that we were putting the bevels on. Once you start pushing something 8ft long through a table saw there is not really a safe way to stop it and start it back up so it was just squint and keep pushing.

I apparently got the company fined by OSHA by a surprise inspection. I was standing in a pile/cloud of saw dust smoking a cigarette with no eyes/ears/mask while working.

All of the construction/manufacturing jobs I had when I was younger was like that. The older dudes would have the younger do something stupid/dangerous for their amusement. It was great watching someone get a nail through the foot while roofing. He pulled the nail out and then used his nail gun to fire off shots at the guy (who nailed his foot) as he tried to run for the ladder. Hit him twice in the thigh causing him to fall off the roof. Owner of that company said he only had one rule, if you fall off the roof your fired before you hit the ground. :downs:

Ah yes, nailgun fights, smoking on site, beer empties under the table saw? :tipshat: Howdy neighbor.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
My god!! Enough the safety lessons guys. We have enough of that in our normal day jobs. Every single instructable on here assumes you have common sense and are responsible for your own safety. These are DIY projects - Not some over-engineered, over priced machine with all the safety cutoffs in the universe.

Yes some of us have had accidents involving various body parts. Some our fault due to complacency or stupidity, some not our fault. Maybe dont try this one if you dont know how to keep important body parts clear of moving machinery. Its not this guys repsonsibility if you end up in hospital because you chopped off your "hotdog". Just my two cents...lol

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

haha that was a comment from:

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yes, but it's not a good thing. I feel like I've seen a few in the OSHA thread.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-a-hand-held-circular-saw-into-a-table-saw/

"I had to use a bit of wire to activate the switch on the handle of my saw. Then I used the plug to turn it on and off." ahhhhh

Thanks for all the responses, I said I would look into it more but everything about it felt Wrong from the jump. I've seen table saw injuries and I'm equally scared of someone holding too hard on to a piece of wood and getting pulled into it when it binds as I am to kickback. All around a terrible idea imo, I like getting creative but I like my body as is more. I know they wouldn't care to use the push piece I'd make them either

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Haha, that all rules, thanks for elaborating.

My balls have crawled so far up near my sternum reading this page.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I use a table saw particularly when I want a very straight precise cut. Why on earth would someone want to jury-rig a skilsaw into a hacked up bench and end up with something less precise than a table saw and more dangerous than a skilsaw?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I will never truly love my TS or my planer until I someday have a jointer and room to put it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Stultus Maximus posted:

I use a table saw particularly when I want a very straight precise cut. Why on earth would someone want to jury-rig a skilsaw into a hacked up bench and end up with something less precise than a table saw and more dangerous than a skilsaw?

Honestly have no idea. If you can't afford one of the hundreds of $50-200 table saws on Craigslist/Kijiji in your area, then maybe woodworking isn't the hobby for you.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hasselblad posted:

I will never truly love my TS or my planer until I someday have a jointer and room to put it.
You can make a pretty simple jig for a table saw to turn it into a straight-line rip saw for edge joining stuff. Toggle clamp the crooked board to a straight piece of plywood with a stop for the crooked board at the back, run the straight edge against the fence, and the cut the crooked edge off. Doesn't help much with face joining though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Edge jointing with a router table is also a pretty easy setup.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I have 2 solid 3.5x12 slabs of douglas fir that a table saw and router table would die from attempting. I COULD in theory do an edge on the saw, but nothing short of a large jointer is gonna handle the 12" surface. Now that I finally have a dado set I am prepared to do a massive tongue/groove to join them together, but for the whole out of square part. (And I would want that 12" side perfectly flat before messing with the edge.) :(

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 15, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For a one-off big job like that I'd ask around or pay someone who has the machine, if that's an option.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah there is a lumber yard in Austin that has gigantic planers and drum sanders for flattening large slabs and things. You may be able to find something in your area.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Yeah there is a lumber yard in Austin that has gigantic planers and drum sanders for flattening large slabs and things. You may be able to find something in your area.

I'm not in the area so purely for curiosities sake but what would something like that run you?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hasselblad posted:

I have 2 solid 3.5x12 slabs of douglas fir that a table saw and router table would die from attempting. I COULD in theory do an edge on the saw, but nothing short of a large jointer is gonna handle the 12" surface. Now that I finally have a dado set I am prepared to do a massive tongue/groove to join them together, but for the whole out of square part. (And I would want that 12" side perfectly flat before messing with the edge.) :(

What are you trying to do with this? Edge glue them? Make a bench?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Mr. Mambold posted:

What are you trying to do with this? Edge glue them? Make a bench?

The latter. Planning to connect the edges via a massive tongue/groove. Finished depth around 24" (minus what needs to be jointed/planed/T&Ged) I've had them a few years and they are as dry as they are going to get, so I am not overly concerned about any warping beyond what they are currently. Otherwise I would use stacked 2x4s.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
"these boards are just too big for a #7 plane", i think to myself never

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm not in the area so purely for curiosities sake but what would something like that run you?
My lumberyard will surface stuff on two sides and straight line rip one edge for like an extra $.20/bf but they just run it through a two sided planer so it’s not really flat and face jointed.

I’m my experience a lot of small shops will do that kind of stuff for $75/hr cash and no complaints. A lot of cabinet shops don’t have joiners/planers because they buy stuff already surfaced but do have wide belt sanders. Millwork shops will have joiners etc.if you need stuff jointed.

Hasselblad posted:

The latter. Planning to connect the edges via a massive tongue/groove. Finished depth around 24" (minus what needs to be jointed/planed/T&Ged) I've had them a few years and they are as dry as they are going to get, so I am not overly concerned about any warping beyond what they are currently. Otherwise I would use stacked 2x4s.
If you have a bench top planer you can just flatten the two wide sides and rip off the unsquare edges with a table saw. Stuff that thick is probably fairly straight and shouldn’t really need face joining. Plane the convex side flat, flip it over and do the concave side.