Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not without the Great House Dagoth mod.

I know there's two Dagoth mods; Sixth House and Great House Dagoth. Which one is the preferred mod? I can never remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Great House Dagoth is good stuff, and I highly recommend it for an interesting alternate playthrough. It fits the mood really well, I think.

Sixth House, I've never played, but earlier thread consensus was that it was great fun if you were looking to be a cartoon villain.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Great House Dagoth is more in-line with the main story and feel. It casts the Sixth House in a more sympathetic light while still not necessarily making them good guys. In addition you have options at the end of its questline (which, if you follow, is an alternate main quest starting from the point you get Corprus) that aren't necessarily evil. You can totally betray Dagoth Ur and make yourself a Fourth God of the Tribunal, or convince the Tribunal to stand down and make yourself the only god of the Dunmer people- your godhood is not off the table.

Sixth House is, as said, straight up more the punching babies and mustache twirling sort of villainy.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I think I like the various endings of Great House Dagoth's main quest more than I do Morrowind's, though I find them disturbing in a way hard to quantify. After a while, what came to me is that they are all distinctly anti-Azura and I'd kind of gotten used to being her champion.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

First time I played Great House Dagoth I was deeply confused when Dr. Dag blinded me, not because that was unexpected itself because he had warned me after all, but because I couldn't figure out how to restore my sight. Turns out I just had to literally wait awhile.

It's extremely good though.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Had this review/commercial pop up in my head again tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad2gYL7iPOE&t=1s

:iiam:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

First time I played Great House Dagoth I was deeply confused when Dr. Dag blinded me, not because that was unexpected itself because he had warned me after all, but because I couldn't figure out how to restore my sight. Turns out I just had to literally wait awhile.

It's extremely good though.

Same here. I assumed that I was supposed to be navigating using my 'new senses', the Detect Creature/etc buffs I'd gotten, and that I should just find my way around Red Mountain via minimap. At some point, I think, I went back to an earlier save or made a new instance of my character and had a better time going through that part of the sequence.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alehkhs posted:

that commercial was the first time i had ever seen or heard of morrowind or TES.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Not that I'd give Toonami the benefit of the doubt for journalistic integrity, but that seems a bit too even handed to be an outright advertisment.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's pretty clearly a quick review, yes.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alehkhs posted:

i somehow missed ever seeing that commercial

man toonami was good

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vavrek posted:

I think I like the various endings of Great House Dagoth's main quest more than I do Morrowind's, though I find them disturbing in a way hard to quantify. After a while, what came to me is that they are all distinctly anti-Azura and I'd kind of gotten used to being her champion.

There's a pretty big chance Azura is full of poo poo and she's just using you to get her revenge against the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur. You're not the first Neverarine after all, who's to say you're the real one?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You become the real one by succeeding

Walk Like Them Until They Walk Like You

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydin posted:

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event."

become reality

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
create reality

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Elman posted:

There's a pretty big chance Azura is full of poo poo and she's just using you to get her revenge against the Tribunal and Dagoth Ur. You're not the first Neverarine after all, who's to say you're the real one?

Being the instrument of her revenge is kind of what it means to be her champion, though? I was on board with that part.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vavrek posted:

Being the instrument of her revenge is kind of what it means to be her champion, though? I was on board with that part.

yeah generally the champion of whomever does the things that whomever wants in their stead

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sky Shadowing posted:

Great House Dagoth is more in-line with the main story and feel. It casts the Sixth House in a more sympathetic light while still not necessarily making them good guys. In addition you have options at the end of its questline (which, if you follow, is an alternate main quest starting from the point you get Corprus) that aren't necessarily evil. You can totally betray Dagoth Ur and make yourself a Fourth God of the Tribunal, or convince the Tribunal to stand down and make yourself the only god of the Dunmer people- your godhood is not off the table.

Sixth House is, as said, straight up more the punching babies and mustache twirling sort of villainy.

is there an in depth walkthrough for Great House Dagoth anywhere? Sounds super interesting.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

why would you want to become a fourth false god of the tribunal when you are infinitely more powerful than that within an hour of stepping foot on the island

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Whorelord posted:

is there an in depth walkthrough for Great House Dagoth anywhere? Sounds super interesting.

I don't think so. I know I hit a few stumbling points along the way, and I sort of remember searching online for solutions, but ultimately I dealt with whatever my confusion/curiosity was by dissecting the mod in the editor. If you happen to play it and get stuck or curious at any point, I'm happy to help.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
As much as I like the stability of OpenMW, and the heroic effort they've put into their release, I rage quit when the mages' guild trainer wanted to charge me 220 Septims after I cast drain destruction 50pts on self for 3 seconds.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

speaking of not openmw

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46034/

custom skills framework released - now anyone can add custom skills that function identically to vanilla

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45654
and the morrowind outdoor survival mod Frostwind was updated to have a Survival Skill, if that's your thing

also

mbt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 13, 2018

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Barn Owl posted:

As much as I like the stability of OpenMW, and the heroic effort they've put into their release, I rage quit when the mages' guild trainer wanted to charge me 220 Septims after I cast drain destruction 50pts on self for 3 seconds.

Wait so how did that work exactly? Was a self assault you attacking a guild member? )edit: you) Did you somehow hit her with it?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Training price is based on skill level. Training Destruction from 10 to 11 is a lot cheaper than training it from 60 to 61. Cast Drain Destruction on Self for just long enough to open the conversation window, pay less for training. (I think. It never occurred to me to do that.) So instead of getting a massive discount on skill training, OpenMW goes "uh no, your skill is actually this high". Maybe it would also allow you to train to 100 with a non-master trainer?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah that's how I used to cheat on the Xbox. Definitely lets you train to 100 with any trainer.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
That sounds lazy, just make a 1pt training spell and cast it while you're wandering all over Lorkhans Creation looking for a decent pair of pants.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

If you're doing so much wandering, just find the Cavern of the Incarnate and take Peakstar's pants when she gives them to you.

They come with a Levitate enchantment! They're great. Bit dusty.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That sounds lazy, just make a 1pt training spell and cast it while you're wandering all over Lorkhans Creation looking for a decent pair of pants.

Nah, I'm proud of myself for finding that solution at 11. Very Morrowind.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alehkhs posted:

I remember this commercial! I’d stay up late some nights and watch Dragonball Z cell saga poo poo with my 6 month old son. He’ll be 17 soon and still thinks Morrowind is the best ES game. Thanks for the memories!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Vavrek posted:

If you're doing so much wandering, just find the Cavern of the Incarnate and take Peakstar's pants when she gives them to you.

They come with a Levitate enchantment! They're great. Bit dusty.

One of my main enchantments is a pair of shoes that I put a constant Levitate effect on. I put it on a hotkey and put my regular boots on another one. Boom, toggle-able levitation, so no harm in living in Tel Uvirith or any other Telvanni Tower.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I was p unhappy to find that you seemingly can't jam all your crap magic skills into one spell and train them up simultaneously. It apparently only gives skill ups for one skill, I think it's just the first listed

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I was p unhappy to find that you seemingly can't jam all your crap magic skills into one spell and train them up simultaneously. It apparently only gives skill ups for one skill, I think it's just the first listed

You could in Daggerfall. I have vivid recollections of going on my boat and spamming magical projectiles in the sky, each holding combined effects from as many schools of magic as I could cram into it.

I think you could rebind some keys or change configuration or something because I vaguely remember doing something to make the "ready last spell" key the same as the "cast spell" key for more efficient spamming, or something like that anyway. Honestly I don't feel like reinstalling Daggerfall to find out exactly if my recollection of interface minutia is accurate.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Wait so how did that work exactly? Was a self assault you attacking a guild member? )edit: you) Did you somehow hit her with it?

No, it's used to debuff your stats when you cast it on yourself. OG Morrowind used whatever you skill level effectively was including buffs/debuffs. OpenMW I guess now uses your stats before buffs/debuffs.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah that's how I used to cheat on the Xbox. Definitely lets you train to 100 with any trainer.

Funfact: OG Morrowind all trainers would offer training of their three highest skills, up to their skill level. If you found a lovely trainer and hit them with Fortify Skill 100pts they would instead become master trainers of the skill you buffed. It was handy for medium armor training because no NPC had 100 in medium armor.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

It takes all the schools of magic in the spell and assigns it to the school you have the lowest stats in. That way you couldn't use your godlike alteration skills to cast a 200pt fireball and one second of waterwalking with a 5 in destruction.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woah. is that for casting or is that how it decides to assign skill experience?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Barn Owl posted:

Funfact: OG Morrowind all trainers would offer training of their three highest skills, up to their skill level. If you found a lovely trainer and hit them with Fortify Skill 100pts they would instead become master trainers of the skill you buffed. It was handy for medium armor training because no NPC had 100 in medium armor.

Fixed in the Morrowind Patch Project, FYI: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Cinia_Urtius

Barn Owl posted:

It takes all the schools of magic in the spell and assigns it to the school you have the lowest stats in. That way you couldn't use your godlike alteration skills to cast a 200pt fireball and one second of waterwalking with a 5 in destruction.

If that also works for skill experience it seems like the every-school-single-spell would still work, just rotating which skills are trained?

EDIT: it also looks like it's not necessarily the lowest skill school, but the "school of the effect that you have the lowest chance of successfully casting."

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Spellmakers#Notes

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

beat the game without bothering to get wraithguard again, the classic

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh hell yeah, I didn't know this thread existed. I'm playing Morrowind for the first time. It took a few tries to get into, but this time it stuck. I'm a lvl 2 battlemage and having a great time.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im always level 2, unless im level 1. i dont need to level up because im already infinitely powerful. also no monsters spawn in illunibi before you're level 4 so you can get the fists of randugulf very easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Poniard posted:

im always level 2, unless im level 1. i dont need to level up because im already infinitely powerful. also no monsters spawn in illunibi before you're level 4 so you can get the fists of randugulf very easily

I've noticed there's a poo poo ton of weapons that you just get that are worth like 20,000 gold outright.