Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

make space ships more like the naval arms race to instead of refitting a whole fleet you have to refit ships one at a time, what you can refit is limited also piracy is caused by a lack of ships on a region so you have to spread your ships thin incentivizing you to keep outdated ships around because you can't afford the point political and economic costs of poor coverage so if an unexpected war breaks out your hoping a failson admiral with one good destroyer and a few outdated corvettes can keep invaders busy long enough for your good fleet to get there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agean90 posted:

make space ships more like the naval arms race to instead of refitting a whole fleet you have to refit ships one at a time, what you can refit is limited also piracy is caused by a lack of ships on a region so you have to spread your ships thin incentivizing you to keep outdated ships around because you can't afford the point political and economic costs of poor coverage so if an unexpected war breaks out your hoping a failson admiral with one good destroyer and a few outdated corvettes can keep invaders busy long enough for your good fleet to get there
SotS1 was a good game.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I think this technology needs to be added.

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1040221305927360512

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

It's a tabloid so click bait titles are literally their business but if anyone is curious, this approach was never used:

quote:

"We developed a far better solution which is a small vest associates can wear that cause all robotic drive units in their proximity to stop moving."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though personally I appreciate physical barriers between me and machinery anyway and definitely would rather be in a cage than at the mercy of amazon robots.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Literal steel bars vs ~ai machine learning algorithm~ to detect presence of human.

e: Comment is in jest, vests probably just have a beacon for some local position system or something.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Xik posted:

Literal steel bars vs ~ai machine learning algorithm~ to detect presence of human.

e: Comment is in jest, vests probably just have a beacon for some local position system or something.

locator beacons which will definitely never fail ever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xik posted:

Come on, the robots presumably already have cameras on them to navigate the warehouse.

You know they're relying on them being able to pick up the QR code on the jacket :v:

Joking aside while the idea of putting people in cages is funny because it's amazon, it's funny when you compare it to like, the alternative of having people just dodge the machinery like some 19th century industrialist.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I've worked in an Amazon warehouse and I would totally hop in a cage and ride around on a robot. That sounds badass. Also I think the vests work pretty well, but the robots are super slow and easy to dodge anyway. They have their own locked enclave that nobody without a vest is allowed in.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Xik posted:

Maybe the machines will learn to pity their human co-workers and put them out of their misery.

Or more likely one day there will only be robots in the warehouse and the cages wouldn't be necessary anymore when there's no one for the robots to hit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I feel like we already have iron cages that we use to transport ourselves safely through a dangerous mechanical environment - we call them elevators and they're all over the world. Hell, cars aren't that much different and they travel way faster than any warehouse robot. I feel like this sort of thing will be seen by later generations the same way we roll our eyes at the overwrought concerns about trains traveling more than 30 mph.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All I'm saying is that you can't be sure the new FTL drives won't cause spontanous hysterectomies.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
... what happens to you if you're a male? Or have already had this procedure?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

... what happens to you if you're a male? Or have already had this procedure?

Go insane and start waving a gun around, apparently.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Those all seem like valid concerns really - taking the train to work has almost driven me to kill on numerous occasions. It's why I drive everywhere now; you've never seen a crazy person behind the wheel of a car, have you?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

OwlFancier posted:

Though personally I appreciate physical barriers between me and machinery anyway and definitely would rather be in a cage than at the mercy of amazon robots.

uh did you mean amazon robots or Amazon robots

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

uh did you mean amazon robots or Amazon robots

ALL HAIL FEMPUTER

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Gadzuko posted:

I've worked in an Amazon warehouse and I would totally hop in a cage and ride around on a robot. That sounds badass. Also I think the vests work pretty well, but the robots are super slow and easy to dodge anyway. They have their own locked enclave that nobody without a vest is allowed in.

Are we sure that stuffing robots into special locked segregation zones is a super good idea? I mean just spit balling here but that does sound like the kind of thing that leads to a robot uprising...

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Ms Adequate posted:

Are we sure that stuffing robots into special locked segregation zones is a super good idea? I mean just spit balling here but that does sound like the kind of thing that leads to a robot uprising...

do not fear _HUMAN_ robots are totally safe,

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Kaal posted:

I feel like we already have iron cages that we use to transport ourselves safely through a dangerous mechanical environment - we call them elevators and they're all over the world. Hell, cars aren't that much different and they travel way faster than any warehouse robot. I feel like this sort of thing will be seen by later generations the same way we roll our eyes at the overwrought concerns about trains traveling more than 30 mph.

Not sure cars are the best example of a safe way to interact with machines

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Agean90 posted:

I love this - having your top-of-the-line USS Enterprise coexisting with some rusty old battleships would be a really cool vibe.

There could be a fun battlestar galactica subplot where only your early-tech ships can survive against a certain threat.

fuf fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 14, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It would fit well with how I imagined sector governors; as autonomous entities who could work against your interests for their own. If a sector seems to bring in less dosh than you'd expect, you probably wouldn't send your flagship, but rather some older model with perhaps a more veteran crew. Maybe even a captain with a penchant for diplomacy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vengarr posted:

Selling slaves directly to the Tyranids as munchies is a whole new level of space dystopia that I'm not sure I'm ready for.

I AM :unsmigghh:

THE BAR posted:

It would fit well with how I imagined sector governors; as autonomous entities who could work against your interests for their own. If a sector seems to bring in less dosh than you'd expect, you probably wouldn't send your flagship, but rather some older model with perhaps a more veteran crew. Maybe even a captain with a penchant for diplomacy.

I'm all for Crusader Kings 2 IN SPAAAACE, and I wish this was in because it fits the bill so perfectly :allears:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Strategic Tea posted:

*in extremely volus voice*

get
-chhhk-
in

Finally I get to RP the Volus that played the market on Illum.

Alternatively, annoy other players in MP by RPing the 'other' Volus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCwMgQRHCAo&t=2s

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 14, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The galactic market will be a very welcome addition, especially since it will once again allow us to dump a ton of energy credits for a ton of minerals so you don't have to sit around waiting for your stockpiles to replenish in the late game but I don't really see it as something that would become critical to your survival.

Unless you happen to be basing your strategy around a very rare resource you don't have access to yourself or an AI empire just got its poo poo pushed in and is facing a critical resource shortage while it retools I don't really see how you could become so dependent on it.

The basic resources needed just to survive seem as plentiful as ever. And while the AI will no longer be spamming farms everywhere it doesn't seem like it will be any harder to get enough food. Any opponent that finds itself in a position where it's reliant on importing resources en masse would probably just be easier (and cheaper) to defeat conventionally rather than waiting it out while you both play the market.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The galactic market will be a very welcome addition, especially since it will once again allow us to dump a ton of energy credits for a ton of minerals so you don't have to sit around waiting for your stockpiles to replenish in the late game but I don't really see it as something that would become critical to your survival.

Unless you happen to be basing your strategy around a very rare resource you don't have access to yourself or an AI empire just got its poo poo pushed in and is facing a critical resource shortage while it retools I don't really see how you could become so dependent on it.

The basic resources needed just to survive seem as plentiful as ever. And while the AI will no longer be spamming farms everywhere it doesn't seem like it will be any harder to get enough food. Any opponent that finds itself in a position where it's reliant on importing resources en masse would probably just be easier (and cheaper) to defeat conventionally rather than waiting it out while you both play the market.

This might not be the case if they make resource distribution more variable. More low resource systems and mor very high resource systems could lead some empires to have unbalanced production and would also make systems more distinct and interesting

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Now that you can trade resources through a neutral third party, I'm betting that there will be alot more instances where different empire types will have different resource sinks. Right now everybody can plow minerals into infrastructure development & shipbuilding, but in LeGuin I'm betting Hiveminds will always have a use for spare food, Robot empires energy, etc.

You might even find it more profitable to let a neighboring empire maintain it's sovereignty and continue buying all your surplus whatever so you can afford more whatever you are buying, rather than invading them and making your scarcity / surplus even worse.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nevets posted:

Now that you can trade resources through a neutral third party, I'm betting that there will be alot more instances where different empire types will have different resource sinks. Right now everybody can plow minerals into infrastructure development & shipbuilding, but in LeGuin I'm betting Hiveminds will always have a use for spare food, Robot empires energy, etc.

You might even find it more profitable to let a neighboring empire maintain it's sovereignty and continue buying all your surplus whatever so you can afford more whatever you are buying, rather than invading them and making your scarcity / surplus even worse.

What if there was a way to directly integrate them into your internal market, some a sort of... Sphere of influence

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nevets posted:

The big one will probably be the decision of spending your building slots and minerals on converting them into alloys or letting them stay minerals and just buy or slowly accumulate the alloys you need. A rich empire could convert their money directly into military power, while a poor one couldn't - even if the poor one is swimming in minerals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that assumes there aren't shitbox equipments you can use if you don't have refined materials.

So you can build a horde of really crappy inefficient ships if you lack the advanced industrial base.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only micro-y thing I'm worried about in this update is all the fun new resource chains are confined to buildings, on slots, on planets, meaning the only way to control those rates is to get in there and build/demolish buildings. I worry about situations where you really wish you had a few more alloys a month but not enough to justify building a 2nd factory, or you're happy you have an alloy factory because you need a domestic source, but it's a bit too much and results in a huge alloy stockpile and shortages of minerals.

The galactic market of course exists to help balance all this, which is very good, but it almost makes me hope we'd have some empire-level sliders. Your buildings would default to 100% production, but if you wanted to temporarily reduce alloy production empire-wide by 50% or something, you could.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
You can do some of that (not empire wide, but not micro intensive either) by adjusting the priority of the job that produces those things. And since it seems like planetary specialization is going to be more important, you probably won't have to do it on every planet, just the ones you've built up as space coal mines.

Plus, it's more realistic this way. If you want to stop burning space coal, you are going to put alot of space coal miners out of work. If you are running some FALGSCWTFBBQ government you can imagine that some of the ridiculous living costs for unemployment are actually being paid to the factories to continue employing people in unneeded jobs.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Space markets in, planet tiles out.

We inch closer to M.U.L.E. even as we inch away from it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kaal posted:

Did you actually look at the patent for amazon's slave cages? Elevators they are not. Amazon doesn't give a poo poo about worker safety.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that assumes there aren't shitbox equipments you can use if you don't have refined materials.

So you can build a horde of really crappy inefficient ships if you lack the advanced industrial base.

All the ships we've seen use 0 minerals - and we've seen both civilian and military ships. Numbers not final and all that, but still it seems consistent with what the dev diaries have said.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm mean, you'll find very few things made straight out of raw iron ore or bauxite so it makes sense that you'd need to have at least some industrial base with which to wage war. And it will be up to you to adequately develop and protect it. Alloys seem to be fairly basic and easy to attain so it shouldn't be too challenging to put field something.

I'm pretty sure Wiz mentioned something way back in July when he first started tweeting teasers on the changes about not all ships needed rare or exotic materials, just the more high tech stuff. But it makes sense as a method of controlling their use and making sure they aren't just spammed as your best design. I can't really find it at the moment since it wasn't in a diary, just a random discussion.

Speaking of which, there's yet another attempt with the Pingu people going on right now. We may get a chance to see something new.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I wonder if resource scarcity means I'll only be able to build one ship with dragon scale armor.

Wiz, can I take the baby dragon that spawns and hook it up to some sort of scale harvester, so all my ships end up covered in baby dragon scales?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/1040715429252083712?s=21

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wait, a minute... this is perfect. Huh.

The wonkiness of what habitability represents has always been odd. It's always been "inhospitable environment, something something, people aren't happy" without really letting you engage with that any further. Like, if you can make a habitat in space 100% habitable, surely with advanced enough infrastructure you can keep humans happy on Tatooine.

And now you can. Poorly adapted species... spend more on infrastructure. It's more expensive to keep them happy. That's entirely sidestepped the abstractions, resulting in something perfectly logical.

What a good gameplay and immersion change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is loving exactly what I said when the game came out. Make habitability an upkeep penalty representing everything being in domes or expensive climate controlled buildings.

I wonder how it will work with mixed pops though, average it out or applied per pop?