Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Farmers say they are being 'gazumped' by hay charities buying up feed for drought

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-09-14/hay-charity-gazump-farmers-looking-for-feed/10242872

quote:

Millions of dollars has been donated to charities offering to help drought-stricken farmers by 'Buying a Bale' but there is a growing concern the practice is leading to a distortion in the fodder market.

There are now concerns from farmers and regulators that charities are outbidding farmers and pushing up the price of hay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Halo14 posted:

Farmers say they are being 'gazumped' by hay charities buying up feed for drought

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018-09-14/hay-charity-gazump-farmers-looking-for-feed/10242872

Farmers Association chief quoted as replying "dangnabbit".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Is that a wig? I mean, "totes funny and wacky comedy wig"?

I don't watch the Footy Show because I'm not a bigot, so I never realised he's looking rough as hell these days.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/stilgherrian/status/1040483571608088576?s=21

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What the gently caress QLD Labor
https://twitter.com/mcberkman/status/1040383862017163264

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*looks smugly northward to anidav*

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Good to see the ghosts of Joh Bjelke-Petersen's era haven't totally gone away in QLD

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/1040553519240032258?s=21

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fatman Scoop is #maga

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hoping for a Fatman Scoop ft. Sharkman Scomo track out of all this

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's unlikely Scoop was 'recognised' by Morrison or his office because they knew him or his music, especially considering they apparently hadn't listened to any of the lyrics past the first few seconds

What's the bet someone just googled 'songs hands up' or something similar

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I believe there is a very good reason for this such as protection of intellectual property and furthermore protecting to public from things they don't fully understand.

You can read more about this in my column.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...e998b6939beos2/

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I would have thought that having been an ambassdor in the past means that anything s44 citizenship would have been taken care of properly some time ago

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bandaid.friend posted:

It's unlikely Scoop was 'recognised' by Morrison or his office because they knew him or his music, especially considering they apparently hadn't listened to any of the lyrics past the first few seconds

What's the bet someone just googled 'songs hands up' or something similar

They took it down because they found out Fatman Scoop was a black man and the song had more lyrics that weren't about buying an icecream.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Leader of the Opposition Fatman Scoop

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NTRabbit posted:

I would have thought that having been an ambassdor in the past means that anything s44 citizenship would have been taken care of properly some time ago
Being an ambassador has exactly zero to do with section 44 of the constitution.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
WTF

https://www.facebook.com/CliveFrederickPalmer/

Ora Tzo fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 14, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Did Palmer get sued into oblivion yet or nah

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

thanks for the roadmap to full blown communism clive

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

They took it down because they‘re PC snowflakes

fixed

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is the best timeline.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Did some moron sign their lovely MS Paint Garrison edit

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Relevant to my interests. For years now whenever I have needed to name a celebrity or musician to answer a question I jokingly say Fatman Scoop. Ages ago I had a personal running bit in gbs where I was arguing that Fatman Scoop is the only true representative of body positivity. I like to imagine him giving his name to someone and the person asking "Huh, you're not really THE Fatman Scoop though are you?", or maybe "oh that's a nice name, did you know there is a rapper with that name?".

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I am indifferent to his music. It's not really my style.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
The funny part about journos/politicians quoting what they think are the most explicit lyrics of the Fatman Scoop song is that it shows they don't know what "chickenheads" means.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Quasimango posted:

The funny part about journos/politicians quoting what they think are the most explicit lyrics of the Fatman Scoop song is that it shows they don't know what "chickenheads" means.

woah give us the link to urban dictionary my man

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/scottmorrisonmp/status/1040580720899571713?s=21

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I cant wait to see how this one backfires on Scomo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You have engaged in a Twitter chat with a musician who was relevant fifteen years ago. This will not escalate.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

I cant wait to see how this one backfires on Scomo.

This seems like the sort of thing that makes a politician more likeable

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
liberal voters don’t like music and black people

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...914-p503tp.html

quote:

Queensland Liberals have warned colleagues considering voting to refer Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton to the High Court that they could send the government to the gallows early by setting up a devastating byelection in his seat of Dickson.

Ian Macdonald, the longest-serving person in Parliament, said a byelection in that seat "wouldn’t be easy to win" and the prospect of the Morrison government losing its majority should weigh firmly on MPs’ minds ahead of a likely referral vote next week.

"A byelection in Dickson wouldn't be easy, and could change the government six months before the Australian people go to a general election," Senator Macdonald told Fairfax Media.

"For that reason alone I don't think any government member would support it."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cartoon posted:

Being an ambassador has exactly zero to do with section 44 of the constitution.

No but I imagine you're required to be a citizen of a country you're representing as an ambassador, with no loose ends

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Imagine thinking, "Well, he could be serving against the law of the country, but god drat what if we lose control 6 months before we're almost certain to lose control?"

e: Section 44 is dumb as hell in modern times, but god drat, you can't pick and choose which laws you follow and which you don't. If a law is outdated and doesn't make sense, change it.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 14, 2018

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

This seems like the sort of thing that makes a politician more likeable

I wonder if Tony ate that onion hoping to score some ironic affection. I think it might actually work if people are already 100% in support of your side of politics (see: "abuela" Hillary), but everyone else just points and laughs. It does distract from serious criticism, but since most people are never going to engage with that you just have to settle for slipping a little of it in between the entertainment.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

good loving christ he's going to get loving devastated

i hope someone's recording it

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://twitter.com/nickschadegg/status/1040585899405279232?s=21

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Knobb Manwich posted:

Imagine thinking, "Well, he could be serving against the law of the country, but god drat what if we lose control 6 months before we're almost certain to lose control?"

e: Section 44 is dumb as hell in modern times, but god drat, you can't pick and choose which laws you follow and which you don't. If a law is outdated and doesn't make sense, change it.

The bit of S44 that might apply to Dutton is, in principle, a lot more reasonable than the dual citizenship stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

I wonder if Tony ate that onion hoping to score some ironic affection. I think it might actually work if people are already 100% in support of your side of politics (see: "abuela" Hillary), but everyone else just points and laughs. It does distract from serious criticism, but since most people are never going to engage with that you just have to settle for slipping a little of it in between the entertainment.
Is Fatman Scoop going to hold Morrison to account, or is he going to make something entertaining? I was thinking of pollies who appeared on Hard Chat or Chaser, the minor embarrassment doesn't exactly hurt, it just makes them look game, brings out their human side

The onion didn't work for Abbott because he is entirely reptilian

• Locked thread