Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
okay the switch thread, like always, is really good to talk about games but if you say they do dumb thing then everyone is like 'why do you even care' which is the dumbest possible response to being on a thread dedicated to talking about thing, so ill just come back later when i feel like talking about games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I seriously can't believe people are arguing that saves going away the instant your service ends isn't a bad thing. :psyduck:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Andrast posted:

If Nintendo is going to lock online play behind a garbage service I'm going to complain about it

What's garbage about "Online play is $1.50/month"?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CRAYON posted:

I seriously can't believe people are arguing that saves going away the instant your service ends isn't a bad thing. :psyduck:
Agreed. You shouldn't have to pay for a service in order to get the benefits of that service.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cloud saves being behind a paywall isn't great, but I think if your house floods, you have more important things to worry about than your progress in Zelda.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RME posted:

if you let your sub lapse intermittently, and the switch breaks during that lapse, you're hosed
vs having some months to get a replacement and activate to redeem them
I am glad I don't stress out about losing my save data on the off chance that my credit card doesn't auto renew my Nintendo Online subscription at the exact same time that my Switch gets stolen or damaged. Man, what a life that must be to worry about such odd hypothetical situations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Cloud saves

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

American McGay posted:

Agreed. You shouldn't have to pay for a service in order to get the benefits of that service.

Get out of your Nintendo K-Hole man.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's garbage about "Online play is $1.50/month"?

Because it's a blatant money grubbing tactics for something that should be free

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PiersHR/status/1040552547549888512?s=19

I mean it's pretty apparent why they're doing this. And that's prorated, they are actually making more money right at the start.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Astro7x posted:

I am glad I don't stress out about losing my save data on the off chance that my credit card doesn't auto renew my Nintendo Online subscription at the exact same time that my Switch gets stolen or damaged. Man, what a life that must be to worry about such odd hypothetical situations.

God I can just imagine a loving scrum where you're trying to spec out the service and some loving manager comes up with that scenario as an actual edge case to plan for.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CRAYON posted:

Yeah like there's a lot of things about it that are dumb and mediocre, but this just seems actively lovely. It's really weird to me there's no grace period whatsoever. I'd figure knowing that the saves are still there would actually entice more people to sign up again after a lapse.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

God I can just imagine a loving scrum where you're trying to spec out the service and some loving manager comes up with that scenario as an actual edge case to plan for.
Bunch of money grubbing suits! Open your eyes everyone. You're being taken for a ride.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Legitimately, the solution here is to just not use the service and advocate not using the service to everyone. When the entire thing isn't getting used by a large percentage of players, they're going to investigate why and either 1) fix it, or 2) let the whole thing just burn out. Either way, you win, because there are tons of non-Nintendo games that you can play on in and dozens of Nintendo games that you don't have to play online at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Legitimately, the solution here is to just not use the service and advocate not using the service to everyone. When the entire thing isn't getting used by a large percentage of players, they're going to investigate why and either 1) fix it, or 2) let the whole thing just burn out. Either way, you win, because there are tons of non-Nintendo games that you can play on in and dozens of Nintendo games that you don't have to play online at all.

lol if you think that is going to work

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

American McGay posted:

What service? The saves are right there, why am I not allowed to back them up to my SD card? Online matches are hosted by other players, in their own homes. They're the ones paying the bandwidth and power costs, not Nintendo, so why am I not allowed to connect to them?

You don't get to call it a service if you're not providing any service, you're just withholding basic functionality. The only service here is NESflix and I'm pretty sure most people aren't interested.

Yeah it's $1.50 a month but that adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars if even a fraction of the playerbase pays up, all in exchange for literally nothing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Why should I have to pay for Super Mario Bros. when I already bought it 33 years ago?
Sarcasm

Still they should let you copy your save games to a USB stick or something, pretty sure PS4 at least lets you do that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Elman posted:

Say you're not gonna be playing your Switch for a while. You cancel your online subscription and just let it sit cause you're busy or you're playing something else at the time.

...And then your house floods, your Switch gets stolen or something else goes wrong with your console Suddenly all your saves are gone even though you supposedly paid Nintendo to store them. And the only way around this is if you actively keep paying for a service you're not currently using (since they won't allow us to backup our saves to an SD card, in order to make their online service seem more appealing).

Nice.

To play devil's advocate, if you pay for the service it is rendered. When you stop paying the service is no longer rendered. I see it as an insurance policy. If you don't pay for your insurance policy you don't have the benefits. Another example: If you need a storage unit you don't pay the storage unit once to put your poo poo in a unit and be done with it. You pay monthly for them to continue to store your poo poo. It's silly to expect Nintendo to keep your poo poo after you stop giving them money.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The point of cloud saves is to not have to worry about losing your saves no matter what happens. Most people won't have their switches stolen. Most won't have their Switches break. The entire idea is about protecting against edge cases. Having a grace period is an industry standard for that reason. Hell, most cloud data storage never deletes your data, they just stop you from uploading new stuff until you resubscribe.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah like there's a lot of things about it that are dumb and mediocre, but this just seems actively lovely. It's really weird to me there's no grace period whatsoever. I'd figure knowing that the saves are still there would actually entice more people to sign up again after a lapse.

It's a $20/year sevice, and you are going to have people going "well, my subscription lapses on Sept 18th 2019, but I'm on vacation that week and not getting back until the 21st, so I can get 3 extra days out of my subscription if I let it lapse and resubscribe when I get back!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Y'all know that cloud saves are just a backup of the saves already on your console right?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

To play devil's advocate, if you pay for the service it is rendered. When you stop paying the service is no longer rendered. I see it as an insurance policy. If you don't pay for your insurance policy you don't have the benefits. Another example: If you need a storage unit you don't pay the storage unit once to put your poo poo in a unit and be done with it. You pay monthly for them to continue to store your poo poo. It's silly to expect Nintendo to keep your poo poo after you stop giving them money.

Storage units don't trash all your belongings on day one after you miss a payment. Usually they will try to get ahold of you for at least a month and give you a chance to get out of default.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

That entire direct was exactly what I wanted.
The online isn't ideal, but with how notorious Nintendo is with their IP's, I see this as a middle ground.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Having a grace period would make more sense in their own technical end than not. You'd rather run a diff when someone re-ups rather than download all their saves from scratch. Storage space on your end isn't going to be an issue for these edge cases.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

insurance policies have grace periods where you are still covered even if you haven't paid the premium yet

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
i want to play pandemic online

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

RME posted:

if you let your sub lapse intermittently, and the switch breaks during that lapse, you're hosed
vs having some months to get a replacement and activate to redeem them

This sounds like an edge case.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Cithen posted:

Ya me too

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Our favorite boardgaming friends left town recently and playing games over switch would rule

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cithen posted:

Ok see those virtual board games didn't sound like they had online modes and that was an actual "wait, really?" of more note than literally everything else the last 5 pages.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I stand corrected about insurance policies.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LPG Giant posted:

This sounds like an edge case.

An edge case that every other similar service at least allows you some grace for anyway

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LethalGeek posted:

Ok see those virtual board games didn't sound like they had online modes and that was an actual "wait, really?" of more note than literally everything else the last 5 pages.
I kinda don't think they do. Or at least I don't think it was ever mentioned. 4-player local co-op was mentioned numerous times, so you'd think they would have said something.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

An edge case that every other similar service at least allows you some grace for anyway

While also allowing local backups.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

also, consider plenty of other cloud services that are aimed at personal consumer use have some kind of retention on lapsing
google drive will basically freeze your storage until you get it back under:

If you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will reset to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit. If you reach or exceed the free storage limit:
Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files. Syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You can still create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.

even more professionally aimed stuff like B2 will have a 2 week grace before they delete stuff, it's really kind of uncommon to delete things the instant there's a lapse, if only because it could require unnecessary uploading/downloading

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Elman posted:

Yeah it's $1.50 a month but that adds up to hundreds of millions of dollars if even a fraction of the playerbase pays up, all in exchange for literally nothing.

I don't think the Switch player base is even close to being in the billions yet but welcome to capitalism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do those board games work locally? Isn't a pretty huge fuckin deal you need to know your tiles and cards secretly?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Is this thead still broken from the direct? Cause I want to talk about The Messenger.

I was told the humor was bad but it reminds me of the old Sierra adventure games, which owns.

I enjoyed the stories.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Newegg is doing a 25% off sale on controllers with code EMCPYET34

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...L0L-_-25Console

Brings the Pro down to about $55.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Our favorite boardgaming friends left town recently and playing games over switch would rule

Sounds like Mario Party would be perfect to play online! Oh wait

• Locked thread