Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

Why is Tri-Ace doing a remaster of this instead of VP2

VP2 isn't very good. Making the einherjar faceless and without personality outside of optional bios you can read was such a stupid move. Having to watch them all die to recruit them in 1 was unique and awesome.

Sakurazuka posted:

The first LotR mmo was the only time I've ever managed to play one for more than a week without getting bored. I dunno why since it wasn't really different in any way.

No, it's very samey to other MMOs but I found that it's more relaxing and doesn't -feel- like the usual grind at least. They just recently made it to Mordor content wise. Game took its sweet rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Convexed posted:

What makes a good side scrolling brawler? They've always confused me as a genre. Like, how do you 'be good' at just mashing a button and walking forwards? Is there any skill to them?

For me, Final Fight is the perfect brawler. It has:
- super fast jabs
- great variety of moves you can learn
- freezes a couple frames when you land a blow
- enemy variety with wildly different behavior
- lots of temporary weapons with variety

Skill in a brawler involves management of hazards. You’re beating up some guys but you have guys sneaking up behind you, what do you do, turn around and attack them, grab the guy you’re punching and throw it at them, step out of the way, jump kick your way to a safer distance? Each might have an advantage or disadvantage depending on the positions of other enemies. You’re busy beating up some melee thugs, but a couple steps behind them some knife throwers are winding up to throw knives at you, do you run away, keep beating up the melee thugs or rush the knife thrower? You’re fighting a boss but are also surrounded by four of his henchmen, who do you attack first? It’s like that juggling problem of spinning several dishes.

Skill also involves your ability to detect behaviors and patterns quickly. When a new enemy type shows up you have to figure out how they attack you and what the best response is. One of the most evil things I remember from a brawler is in the first arcade Turtles game, when you faced off against Shredder. He would split into two Shredders. If either of the Shredders lost half their life, they would lose their helmet. Here’s where it became evil: the first Shredder to lose their helmet would automatically become the fake Shredder. Players would ALWAYS focus on the fake Shredder because seeing the helmet fall off would be wrongly interpreted by the player as a sign that beating that Shredder would mean beating the game. If you kill Fake Shredder, the other Shredder with the helmet still on would split into two Shredders again and you’d have to repeat the cycle. Once you knock off one Shredder’s helmet you had to start focusing on the other Shredder and make sure his helmet fell off too. At this point I’m not sure if beating either of two helmetless Shredders leads to victory or if the second Shredder whose helmet you knocked off is the only real Shredder who lets you win if you beat him, but I’d always play as if the latter was the case and it was a nightmare trying to keep track of which was which when both of them had their helmets off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

Am I to believe a series of actual factual invites go out to Smash characters? And if so who is sending them? Or does Sakurai exist within the Nintendo Universe as well as our own?

They've been doing this since Snake was announced for wii smash like 5 years ago

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They need to just give out boosts with expansions the way wow does.

They already have quest skip potions they just charge an arm and a leg for them which is real lame and greedy.

While that's true, I also think there's value to FFXIV's insistence that the story is an important part of the game.

If they take the route of just including story skip/level boosts with expansions (which is a good thing, whether or not they overhaul anything), they also need to implement the system GW2 has where they let you replay story chapters you've already completed. For example, I'm hesitant to recommend that someone skip to level 60/skip the story up to Stormblood right now, not just because it's a dumb thing to charge for, but because they'd miss Heavensward, which is the best story arc in the game so far. If players could replay completed stories or do story chapters out of order, like in GW2, that problem would be solved.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Verranicus posted:

VP2 isn't very good. Making the einherjar faceless and without personality outside of optional bios you can read was such a stupid move. Having to watch them all die to recruit them in 1 was unique and awesome.

Hm nope it's the best JRPG on the PS2 happy to help

It isn't the same game as VP1 though you're right there

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
FF14's story issues would be fixed if they cut out the dumb filler poo poo where you run across the continent to like, talk to 1 minor inconsequential character and then get told "ok now go back" that repeats for like I dunno 35 levels.

I did the 1-50 story twice prior to Heavensward because I'm dumb and now I actually want to play FF14 again but the thought of that stupid story just makes me not want to touch it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

They've been doing this since Snake was announced for wii smash like 5 years ago

Brawl came out more than 10 years ago

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

suuma posted:

FF14's story issues would be fixed if they cut out the dumb filler poo poo where you run across the continent to like, talk to 1 minor inconsequential character and then get told "ok now go back" that repeats for like I dunno 35 levels.

I did the 1-50 story twice prior to Heavensward because I'm dumb and now I actually want to play FF14 again but the thought of that stupid story just makes me not want to touch it.

Well you've got the worst part out of the way, right? Unless you're intending to level up a brand new character again.

Everything from Heavensward through Stormblood is paced much better than ARR stuff. So, so much better.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

So did slavers in the south

raditts posted:

He is a slumlord who foists housing of his own choosing upon new residents, and then indentures them against their will whether they wanted his lovely house or not, and pays them only in his own proprietary currency, because he's also a loving narcissist

i just wanted some escapism :negative:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Seriously why did they skip re-releasing FF8

Is it the Faye Wong song

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Animal Crossing is a cult compound and Tom Nook is probably a serial killer

I know that's not how it turns out but you're supposed to think that for most of the story

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it the Faye Wong song

Because FF8 HD remaster motherfucker!

In 2215.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

While that's true, I also think there's value to FFXIV's insistence that the story is an important part of the game.

If they take the route of just including story skip/level boosts with expansions (which is a good thing, whether or not they overhaul anything), they also need to implement the system GW2 has where they let you replay story chapters you've already completed. For example, I'm hesitant to recommend that someone skip to level 60/skip the story up to Stormblood right now, not just because it's a dumb thing to charge for, but because they'd miss Heavensward, which is the best story arc in the game so far. If players could replay completed stories or do story chapters out of order, like in GW2, that problem would be solved.

Yeah but grinding dozens of hours in an mmo when nobody is around is soul crushing.

There's a few leveling alt jobs but not a ton of people in heavensward these days. Its not very fun.

Having to say "Hey friend, buy this new mmo expansion and then after 50 hours you can join me and we can play together!" is pretty rough. That's not really a sustainable business model for new players. At that point you just exist to support your current subscription base.

MMOs by having expansions be all serial means past expansions are made totally obsolete. Toooons of content that they spend millions of dollars on, and its basically wasted once a new expansion comes out. I think that's not a great design.

I've been saying for years that MMOs should try to make "parallel" expansions instead. What if your progress in one expansion was independent of your progress in another, and you could at any time switch back and forth? Well, I'm capped in Stormblood right now, lemme go pick up the Heavensward story that I didn't finish. Oh, there's a new Stormblood dungeon out? I'll hop back and play that for awhile.

That way any content you missed in the expansion, that you paid for, would still be sitting there waiting for you to play, and it'd still be balanced and fun and not trivial. New players wouldn't be held back so much, they could jump into the current expansion but still wouldn't have played the others, and could freely experience them whenever they want. That'd be superior to just having "level skip potions"

But if you're not going to do that, then you at least need to have level skip potions. WoW saw the light and FFXIV should too.

Harrow posted:

Well you've got the worst part out of the way, right? Unless you're intending to level up a brand new character again.

Everything from Heavensward through Stormblood is paced much better than ARR stuff. So, so much better.

Its still not much fun all by yourself though. And some of those necessary story dungeon queues can take forever.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 14, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

How are you guys holding up?

Gusty winds, all good right now. Got a big tree branch right above my bed so I'm worried about wind, but I'm on a hill in an area I havent seen flood in 28 years so I'm hopeful on the rain part.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Brawl came out more than 10 years ago

Jesus time flies.

All the more to my point then :cheeky:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it the Faye Wong song

Uh, when the entire FF fanbase decided to hate on FF8? Where have you been?

There's a lot of it I'm nostalgic for, but most people hate on FF8 really strong, and they're not even entirely wrong.

The game's balance is a mess and the end of the story is a literal disaster. But there is still a lot of good stuff in there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF8 is the best game in the franchise and I'm only like half joking

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If balance and ending were hard stops we'd have way fewer ff rereleases.

Also jrpgs being easy to break rules imo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but grinding dozens of hours in an mmo when nobody is around is soul crushing.

There's a few leveling alt jobs but not a ton of people in heavensward these days. Its not very fun.

I mean, I don't disagree that FFXIV should include level boosts/story skips with expansions. I'm just saying that if they do, they should also implement a way to replay past story chapters. That way if you skip straight to Stormblood, but decide later that you'd like to play through Heavensward, you can. GW2 does that--you open the story journal and you can start any chapter you have access to. So if you jump into GW2 now and get both expansions, you don't have to play through the base GW2 story or the expansion 1 (Heart of Thorns) story to start the expansion 2 (Path of Fire) story. You can jump right into it. But if you decide you want to later, you can go back and play Heart of Thorns.

So what I'm saying is that FFXIV should let you play its story chapters out of order, and also replay completed story chapters (just because some of them are pretty cool and could be fun to revisit). Do that and include a level boost with expansions and you're set. Players can jump right into playing with their friends in the current expansion, but they also don't have to permanently miss past story stuff they might enjoy.

Zaphod42 posted:

Its still not much fun all by yourself though. And some of those necessary story dungeon queues can take forever.

Eh, MMO story questing is designed to be done solo anyway. I can't say I really noticed a difference between doing Heavensward and doing Stormblood solo stuff, even though I was doing them both after Stormblood had come out.

Dungeon queues are a pain, but when you're leveling you at least have side quests you can do while you wait. Though if you roll a tank or healer you're golden anyway. FFXIV is smart to include the Leveling Roulette so that max-level players have a strong incentive to queue for leveling dungeons and there's always someone to play with. DPS queues are and always will be hell, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF8 breaks in a very fun way imo. Like, the stuff you do to ruin the balance is a fun activity. More fun than playing it normally, plus you get to feel like you're pulling a fast one. That's rare and precious

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, when the entire FF fanbase decided to hate on FF8? Where have you been?

Squall Leonheart is the fifth-most popular Final Fantasy character of all time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Squall Leonheart is the fifth-most popular Final Fantasy character of all time

Squall is a good character. He's my favorite FF protag and 5th overall sounds about right

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
he has a v Cool Sword

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
FF8 is good and its not on Switch because they lost the original 2d backgrounds and this would look like total poo poo, and they probably lost the source code.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

FF8 breaks in a very fun way imo. Like, the stuff you do to ruin the balance is a fun activity. More fun than playing it normally, plus you get to feel like you're pulling a fast one. That's rare and precious

I hate card games so it's not fun at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Triple Triad is way more fun than no-gimmicks ATB combat

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

So what I'm saying is that FFXIV should let you play its story chapters out of order, and also replay completed story chapters (just because some of them are pretty cool and could be fun to revisit). Do that and include a level boost with expansions and you're set. Players can jump right into playing with their friends in the current expansion, but they also don't have to permanently miss past story stuff they might enjoy.

Agreed. Although with how mmo levels work, replaying story chapters out of order would be trivial. That's why my last post called for parallel expansion progress.

WoW is already flirting with the idea, they've made crafting skill progress totally parallel between expansions. And it works SO much better.

Harrow posted:

Dungeon queues are a pain, but when you're leveling you at least have side quests you can do while you wait. Though if you roll a tank or healer you're golden anyway. FFXIV is smart to include the Leveling Roulette so that max-level players have a strong incentive to queue for leveling dungeons and there's always someone to play with. DPS queues are and always will be hell, though.

Yeah the leveling roulette is a nice design.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Squall is a good character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Triple Triad is way more fun than no-gimmicks ATB combat

Triple Triad was good.

Tetra Master was aggressively horrible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Growth over the course of a story is the sign of a strong character

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People made fun of characters who talked in ellipses but in FF8 the whole point was that you'd see Squall's internal monologue and then the ellipsis was there to remind you that he didn't actually say anything, he just thought a lot. Which I liked a lot, it worked really well imo.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it the Faye Wong song
They only released 7 as part of the run-up to the Remake announcement (and it was just the PC version from 1998). There is a PC/Steam version of 8 they could use.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Spring Break My Heart posted:

They only released 7 as part of the run-up to the Remake announcement (and it was just the PC version from 1998). There is a PC/Steam version of 8 they could use.

They would get thrashed for the midi music. Its 2018.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Breaking jrpgs isn't just a FF8 thing lol. You can do it in every jrpg. Hell, playing Bravely Default normally feels broken it rules.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Were talking about the possibility of a 0 effort port job, I dont think thats whats stopping them.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Thinking about Dragon Quest 11 and loling

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
FF8 rules because so many parts of it are loving weird - even if they don't all work. I like FF9 but I was a bit disappointed with it after 8 just because it was such a 'standard' FF game.

May 8, 2006

an actual dog posted:

Thinking about Dragon Quest 11 and loling

so far for me the music is easily the worst part of this game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Drawing magic from enemies was pretty boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

an actual dog posted:

Breaking jrpgs isn't just a FF8 thing lol. You can do it in every jrpg. Hell, playing Bravely Default normally feels broken it rules.

Well some are so simplistic that all you can do to break them is just level up, and in some the broken things aren't particularly fun (or are no more fun than playing normally). The thing in FF8 that I like is that being broken is significantly more fun than playing normally, which resulted in a strong emotional response to the gameplay for me

e: case in point, when you're being broken the only time you draw magic outside of like the very beginning of the game is when you're desperately trying to get 99 meteors from a dragon that oneshots you because you never leveled up so you can have Rinoa go on a rampage through the rest of the game

• Locked thread