Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have fallen asleep on my F key since the Apple Event. I was really looking forward to an SE replacement. I did enough mental gymnastics to justify the XR as being an "okay" replacement and being fine with an LCD screen until I realized that the XR was bigger than the XS.

The XS is too big for my small manchild hands. My SE screen broke about a month or two ago, dust has gotten stuck behind the lens of the camera so it is trash. I want a full replacement phone. This sucks. Didn't bother pre-ordering and still don't have a plan.
Just get another SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since the order was having issues at the time last night I just did a new order since it still arrives at September 21 and just cancelled the buggy order.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I have fallen asleep on my F key since the Apple Event. I was really looking forward to an SE replacement. I did enough mental gymnastics to justify the XR as being an "okay" replacement and being fine with an LCD screen until I realized that the XR was bigger than the XS.

The XS is too big for my small manchild hands. My SE screen broke about a month or two ago, dust has gotten stuck behind the lens of the camera so it is trash. I want a full replacement phone. This sucks. Didn't bother pre-ordering and still don't have a plan.

I seriously don't understand what Apple is thinking with this product lineup. All this time I assumed that they would have the super expensive X phones at the top and then a handful of budget options that most people would buy. Sadly it seems that Apple no longer cares about poor people. I officially can not see myself getting an iPhone in the foreseeable future they're just simply too expensive (especially when the equivalent offering from Nokia is like $250).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Are the X and Xs the same dimensions? Wondering if I can keep my case.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Over There posted:

Got my phone. It's weird, I had to get it shipped to my house because the in store pickup became unavailable instantly
In-store pickup was unavailable for me until I filled in my shipping address - then it became an option.

Still hoping I can sort out iPhone Payments with them since up-front payment was the only option given at the time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I seriously don't understand what Apple is thinking with this product lineup. All this time I assumed that they would have the super expensive X phones at the top and then a handful of budget options that most people would buy. Sadly it seems that Apple no longer cares about poor people. I officially can not see myself getting an iPhone in the foreseeable future they're just simply too expensive (especially when the equivalent offering from Nokia is like $250).

The 7 is $449. The SE was what, $399?

They’ve never and will never make a new $250 Phone. Just buy used.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Their budget model is the 7. It’s still extremely capable and a good value for money. Nokia’s “equivalent offering” is also a good value if you have less than $300 to spend, but the 7 is a considerably better phone.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Has somebody done the math on the Apple Upgrade Program vs trading in a mint iPhone X 256?

This is my first time doing the upgrade (big phone yay) but was curious if it really is a good deal compared to trading it in.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

:laffo: Apple never cared about poor people

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Animal posted:

Has somebody done the math on the Apple Upgrade Program vs trading in a mint iPhone X 256?

This is my first time doing the upgrade (big phone yay) but was curious if it really is a good deal compared to trading it in.
Their trade-in value is generally 20-30% less than you could get on the open market. So it's not a great deal but it also saves you the trouble of dealing with SA Mart or Craigslist or whatever.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm almost certain that Apple is increasing the prices to make up for the fact that phones are getting to the point that most people will be using them for years instead of constantly upgrading, which seems to be why they worked so hard on iOS 12 as well to make sure their main lineup are all working seamlessly. Xr doesn't really seem like their budget choice, it's more like the entry level for people who want the cool flashy features of the X but don't care about stuff like having 1080 or 3D Touch and also don't feel like spending an extra $200-$300 for them. I'm assuming their idea is that the budget choices are the older phones because they work just as well.

It seems to be going in a new direction and I'm interested to see where it goes. They do need to work on the names though.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

American McGay posted:

Their trade-in value is generally 20-30% less than you could get on the open market. So it's not a great deal but it also saves you the trouble of dealing with SA Mart or Craigslist or whatever.

Looks like the used 256GB model is selling for around $700 on eBay. I’ll take the $65 hit with the Upgrade program so I don’t have to deal with selling on my own.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Do the new phone’s cases normally sell out on launch day or am I fine to pick one up when I get my phone without pre ordering?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dugong posted:

Do the new phone’s cases normally sell out on launch day or am I fine to pick one up when I get my phone without pre ordering?

You should just get one on amazon if you're not going for the leather ones. Pretty much the same quality for much cheaper.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Cool thank you. I think I’ll get one of the cheap clear spigen cases for.

On a separate note, making calls via AirPods feels just so surreal. If Apple ever releases a sound cancelling or just an in ear edition I’ll pay stupid money for them

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looks like I'm switching to an Android after my SE at dies at some point.

I just can't handle these gigantic phones.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

Looks like I'm switching to an Android after my SE at dies at some point.

I just can't handle these gigantic phones.

What’s a good small Android phone?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

idk

There's got to be something that's at least usable. The size is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Weedle posted:

Doesn’t Sony make one?

I’m kinda hoping for an X SE next spring (probably in vain). The people who like that form factor really like it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm actually surprised. Ive been in the Apple Store and the amount of people who look at the iPod touch and say they wish there was a phone the same size is astounding. Of course I can no longer show them the SE :(

Then there's my type who think the X is too small.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Waiting to try the XS Max in person to figure out whether I need that huge a loving phone

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Over There posted:

Then there's my type who think the X is too small.
Yeah, I wound up ordering an XS Max. If the physical size was bigger than my 7+ I would have gotten the regular XS, but I'm sure I'll appreciate the bigger screen because I still have trouble typing on the 7+ with my chunky fingers.

I'm hoping the watches will be in stock at or near launch day too. I wanted to trade in my 7+ and Watch 2 for a Watch 4, but the store app only seemed to allow one device trade-in per purchase. Worst case, I'll trade my 7+ for a gift card at the store, and order the new watch online with that + the trade-in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In what world is a $250 Nokia "equivalent" to even an iPhone 7? Next year's flagship Androids will be getting an SOC that's as powerful as last year's iPhone.

Also do SE whiners not realize that they can use two hands on their phones (assuming they have them)?

And no, Sony's small phones are still quite a bit bigger than an SE.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Endless Mike posted:

In what world is a $250 Nokia "equivalent" to even an iPhone 7? Next year's flagship Androids will be getting an SOC that's as powerful as last year's iPhone.

Also do SE whiners not realize that they can use two hands on their phones (assuming they have them)?

People are allowed to have preferences.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I don't want use two hands on my phone

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Endless Mike posted:

I'm 6'4" and have giant hands and my cock is huge and massive. Preferring a smaller phone is just that, a preference.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Over There posted:

People are allowed to have preferences.

Not in an Apple thread buddy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Andrast posted:

idk

There's got to be something that's at least usable. The size is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

What about an iPhone 8? The size isn’t that much bigger than an SE and you’ll get at least 4 more years of updates out of them at this point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

64bit_Dophins posted:

Nothing in the $250 range, but if you compared an iPhone 7 $450 to a new one plus $500 they are staying very competitive. Just because it’s two years old doesn’t mean spec wise it’s basically competitive with new android lower end phones.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Andrast posted:

If you did use two hands than you would maybe put in the missing word “to” so your sentence so it would make sense :allears:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Since my dad will be getting my old 7+, can I take it and get a 29$ battery swap or do you have to hit the diagnostic requirement?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

What about an iPhone 8? The size isn’t that much bigger than an SE and you’ll get at least 4 more years of updates out of them at this point.

I’ll look into what’s available when my SE breaks, which hopefully isn’t happening for years

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Since my dad will be getting my old 7+, can I take it and get a 29$ battery swap or do you have to hit the diagnostic requirement?

They may push back but say you want it replaced anyway and they can’t actually refuse.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
How long before carriers start offering “buy one iPhone get one $x off” deals? I seem to remember some deals popping up this past January, just need to mentally prepare myself for waiting several months.

My 6s was purchased right before AT&T stopped doing subsidized phones so this will be the first time I have to pay full price (with the double hit of the wife needing one as well). This next phone will need to last me 3-4 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like with the 7, they did them at launch.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So my iPhone (6+) is showing serious signs of slow down. Replaced the battery and still having issues. So thinking I need a new phone.

Don't want to shell out $1,000 for an X though. So torn between getting an 8+ now or waiting until October to get an Xr. The 8+ is only $50 cheaper than an Xr, so buying one does't really seem that beneficial from a cost perspective.

Can anyone think of why I should just get the 8+ instead of waiting for the Xr?

Though I'm kind of hoping IOS 12 miraculously fixes my slowdown issues.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Animal posted:

Yeah, you clearly lose a lot of money on AUP, as there’s no way an iPhone loses 50% of value in a year. I suspect Apple’s trade in values will be cynically calculated to not make this obvious, but other companies trade-ins, or selling it yourself would both give you a lot more money back.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

theblackw0lf posted:

So my iPhone (6+) is showing serious signs of slow down. Replaced the battery and still having issues. So thinking I need a new phone.

Don't want to shell out $1,000 for an X though. So torn between getting an 8+ now or waiting until October to get an Xr. The 8+ is only $50 cheaper than an Xr, so buying one does't really seem that beneficial from a cost perspective.

Can anyone think of why I should just get the 8+ instead of waiting for the Xr?

Though I'm kind of hoping IOS 12 miraculously fixes my slowdown issues.

The 8 is practically a 7, so buy that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

64bit_Dophins posted:

Sadly it seems that Apple no longer cares about poor people. I officially can not see myself getting an iPhone in the foreseeable future they're just simply too expensive (especially when the equivalent offering from Nokia is like $250).

My preference for the SE has nothing to do with my net worth or income.

Andrast posted:

It is one million percent this.