Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I say fire everyone and stop making comic books period

edit: worst page snipe ever..... or the best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

enigmahfc posted:

edit: worst page snipe ever..... or the best?

def best.

So not caring for Bendis on Superman at all. I have long loved this man's work but this just isn't a good fit.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

def best.

So not caring for Bendis on Superman at all. I have long loved this man's work but this just isn't a good fit.

Superman #3 wasn't bad at all imo. I still miss Tomasi though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Speaking of BMB, anyone check out Cover?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Nobody knew. Or if they did nobody was talking. Also there are people above the DC offices. Everyone answers to someone in a higher chair. Berganzas friend was assumed to be someone in WB corporate. I thought I made that clear.

Edit: at the summit the year he got suspended this was all anyone was talking about and the chatter was everywhere that he had a friend far up the chain and it's the sole reason he got to keep his job.

I asked you twice if you meant someone at dc comics, dc ent, or warner and all you said was up the ladder. Thats not clarity

Anyways lol now lobdells being outed guess he must have a friend at warner too. D_t isnt gonna like this

pubic works project posted:

Hey guys...I like to read Superman comics. Also Justice League.

Is super sons any good? I like the boys dynamic in tomasis supes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, it seems promising. Art is real good, and the story seems to be Tom King's biography in reverse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh that reminds me I need to read scarlet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't understand why you have so much trouble believing that a once very influential editor who was nearly promoted to EiC would have corporate connections that would shield his terrible behavior. This is like, corporate America 101. He's a bad man with a powerful friend. Nobody knew who exactly but it kept him in his chair. That's all. Once he was on the cover of the NYT (or post) it was too much of a black eye to bear for them. I mean, why else would he be given rehab therapy instead of being fired like literally everyone else would have? You don't get treated like royalty unless you have royal friends.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

I asked you twice if you meant someone at dc comics, dc ent, or warner and all you said was up the ladder. Thats not clarity

Anyways lol now lobdells being outed guess he must have a friend at warner too. D_t isnt gonna like this

Is super sons any good? I like the boys dynamic in tomasis supes

Yeah it is! It was a lot of fun and enjoyable. The jury is still out for their current Adventures of maxi-series though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I don't understand why you have so much trouble believing that a once very influential editor who was nearly promoted to EiC would have corporate connections that would shield his terrible behavior. This is like, corporate America 101. He's a bad man with a powerful friend. Nobody knew who exactly but it kept him in his chair. That's all. Once he was on the cover of the NYT (or post) it was too much of a black eye to bear for them. I mean, why else would he be given rehab therapy instead of being fired like literally everyone else would have? You don't get treated like royalty unless you have royal friends.

I uhh actually agreed that that could be the case in 3 different posts but ya know keep not reading them and stuff

Yeah it is! It was a lot of fun and enjoyable. The jury is still out for their current Adventures of maxi-series though

Cool I'll put that on the list then

site fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 14, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I uhh actually agreed that that could be the case in 3 different posts but ya know keep not reading them and stuff

I apologize, I was reading on my phone previously and missed that post. I swear I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, it's just that I on occasion had access to this wordl that non retail fans do not so I encountered these discussions several times. The topic was fully banned from the main retail group that DC rep participation and with my exiting that job I don't have much in the way of sources these days. Just what was discussed in the past.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sexual harrassment in the comics industry snippage
You guys know there is like a whole thread dedicated to this poo poo right? Could we maybe take it there?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oracle posted:

Sexual harrassment in the comics industry snippage
You guys know there is like a whole thread dedicated to this poo poo right? Could we maybe take it there?

I tried linking to that to move the discussion over. I'll stop and only respond over in that one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wasn't Lobdell a known creep?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

enigmahfc posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm looking forward to the new Martian Manhunter. I would've been willing to give Lobdell's Nightwing a fair shake since Rebirth Red Hood has been alright, but now that I know Lobdell is a monster I think I'm going to hold off on that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hey guys...I like to read Superman comics. Also Justice League.

You know who I like? Cassandra Cain. I'm glad Hill's putting her on his Outsiders comic.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm glad Cass is experiencing kind of a renaissance with the Outsiders, her graphic novel, and an appearance in a movie on the horizon after being ignored and treated like poo poo for so long.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Wasn't Lobdell a known creep?

I'm a little embarrassed to be late to his reputation, but now I'm happy to reroute that money to another series.
(I was ready to jump ship with that solo premise anyway, but still)
At least Artemis got to hop over to Wonder Woman's series!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of Superman, has anybody checked out the new Walmart Tom King Superman? It's only been 12 pages or whatever, but the people who've read it are gushing.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Rhyno posted:

I'm enjoying Action Comics so far. It's been mainly character work, which Bendis is better at anyway. Of course, he have all of 2 issues of it so far.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What we've all been waiting for

Spoilers for Batman: damned

https://twitter.com/FotoCub/status/1040660016435523589?s=19

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The distinguishing feature of all Black Label comics should be superhero balls.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

site posted:

Lol I hope it is during a fight and it changes position every panel

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mr Hootington posted:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mr Hootington posted:

I hope they do that thing with conveniently placed objects censoring nudity, except it's the reverse and it's just a dick covering up more important things in the scene

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

This is one comic where the solicit could have the words "in this issue, EVERYTHING CHANGES!" And it would be true.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I hope they do that thing with conveniently placed objects censoring nudity, except it's the reverse and it's just a Grayson covering up more important things in the scene

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Universe added most of the Batman movies today. For some reason no Rises. It's super weird what's being omitted currently. Like Death of Superman is up, but a bunch of the older animated movies are missing. Mask of the Phantasm and Mystery of the Batwoman are there, but no Sub-Zero. It's kind of baffling.

Also if this thing where it seems like they still expect you to pay for old comics even with a sub is true they can get hosed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

DC Universe added most of the Batman movies today. For some reason no Rises. It's super weird what's being omitted currently. Like Death of Superman is up, but a bunch of the older animated movies are missing. Mask of the Phantasm and Mystery of the Batwoman are there, but no Sub-Zero. It's kind of baffling.

Also if this thing where it seems like they still expect you to pay for old comics even with a sub is true they can get hosed.

For more recent stuff, they might still have extant licensing issues.

Do you have a subscription, what's the comic selection like?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So there's no app for the service right? I've seen a few people encountering issues getting it to stream via Chromecasts and the like.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

So there's no app for the service right? I've seen a few people encountering issues getting it to stream via Chromecasts and the like.

According to the IGN preview there's a tablet app.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/09/16/dc-universe-review-comics-subscription-service-has-potential-but-doesnt-soar

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Okay cool. I'll probably give it a look pretty soon.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I signed up for it early (just lost my job so plenty of free time!). There is now an Android and iOS app available. The app seems to be well done and laid out.

Comic selection seems to be underwhelming right now imo, which is the biggest disappointments once that’s really why I joined.

No Vertigo stuff, Image/Wildstorm is very limited and only select runs available for the major titles. Hopefully it will get fleshed out over the coming months otherwise I don’t think I’ll be renewing. The way it’s organized isn’t as well-thought out as Marvel Unlimited either from my perspective - you can’t really tell what you’ve downloaded offline already as you can with MU. I do like how you can create multiple lists for all content, though.

The Community thing is umm lame imo but I get why they did it and it’s not why I signed up so whatever. I do like the Encyclopedia feature in the app as I’ve always been more of a Marvel/Image guy so am not as familiar with the DC canon aside from pretty broad strokes and stuff from the past 5-10 years. Having them link to series’ runs would be cool but then it would likely expose the weakness that many of those aren’t available to actually read through the service.

I will say the movies and animation available is pretty comprehensive (no recent stuff like Ryan Reynolds GL or Suicide Squad though, and I understand why the CW stuff is omitted due to rights) if that’s your thing.

e: yeah that IGN article does a pretty good job of summarizing it

sticksy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 16, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lmao

quote:

hopefully at some point, DC Universe will introduce a higher-paid tier that would allow subscribers access to the company's entire digital back catalog along with its weekly new releases, but as of now, it's frustrating to search for some of our favorite titles and come up empty,

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would pay about $50 a month for a new releases tier, but they know anyone going for that is probably ponying up more for their new comics anyhow, so it wouldn't happen.

edit: And, you know, if it was available here at all.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 16, 2018

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Comics will never do a monthly "you get it all day-of" service. It will end the retail market and starve them of their specialty stores.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Unsure if they still have it but DC had DC Direct, where you'd sign up for comics and they'd mail them to you usually by Tuesday.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nofather posted:

Unsure if they still have it but DC had DC Direct, where you'd sign up for comics and they'd mail them to you usually by Tuesday.

The equivalent of a magazine subscription service is very different than an all you can eat digital buffet with access to new stuff day of.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The buzz I'm hearing is a full catalog of streaming is unlikely any time soon due to DC's troubles with royalties for reprints. It sounds pretty messy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Skwirl posted:

The equivalent of a magazine subscription service is very different than an all you can eat digital buffet with access to new stuff day of.

Oh yeah but you did get comics delivered to you.

The DCU site says "The full DC Comics digital library will be available for purchase in October."