Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Start using enzymatic cleaners on the basement floor and lock the cats out of there. If the vet gave the all clear, there's not a lot else to do right now besides see what happens when they can't access the basement.

One of my cats had a brief basement piss party after a pipe leak from a ground floor bathroom (shower and tub) released some ammoniac-smelling fluid from corroding pipes (I have an old drat house). We got all that cleaned up with liberal use of an enzymatic spray meant for those surfaces, moved the litter boxes upstairs for a bit, kept her locked out for a while, and the problem didn't repeat itself.

My other, elderly cat started eliminating inappropriately in the leaky bathroom much later. The vet gave her the all clear on our first trip, but eventually determined that my old girl was getting a little senile and more importantly had arthritis and spondylitis. We moved the litter boxes upstairs permanently after that and the pee problems were over for basically the rest of her life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmychoo
Sep 30, 2008

poste du monocylindre

Siochain posted:

Any ideas for a super-frustrated cat owner who's never had these issues before?

Have you tried Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter? They've had a redesign and I believe it's now the* Ultra kind in a blue bag.

It was recommended to me on the forums years and years ago and it works magic! I believe the quote from a goon was "a crack that cats must poo poo on."
Obviously in your case, pee.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Are you sure they're the only two cats in the pee equation? If there's another fuzzball even doing so little as sniffing at the door or windows, it could be triggering them to counter-'attack' with piss.

Regardless, get on the enzyme cleaner. If you leave enough traces of pee behind despite the satisfaction of your dumb human olfactory senses, the cats will smell the pee, believe it's a place to continue to pee, and then do so.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Yeah, sorry, forgot to mention the about $150 I've spent on Nature's Miracle in the last couple of months. I've gone through literal gallons of the stuff.
There is a possibility of a cat being outside, but that's something that has been constant for the last forever. I'm in a small, remote town, and there are a ton of "outdoor" cats - and at times when there has definitely been one around the house, this has never popped up.

I'd move the boxes but, well, its basement or...right by the kitchen and/or our bedroom. I'll try to find the super-litter, but being in the arse-end of nowhere, its hard to find anything fancy.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This looks uncomfortable but he keeps sleeping like this. He truly is a cat.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Also will attest to the power of cat attract over a cat who had become litter shy for no obvious reason

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sometimes the cat gets this furrowed look of determination on his little fool face before he does something dumb. I really wish I knew what that thought was because falling 5 feet off a bookcase can't possibly be what he was intending to do.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
hey thread. Visiting my parents, found a barn kitten seems to have been abandoned. Can't find mama and two littermates were found dead in the yard, so it definitely seems the wrong move to leave her in the barn.

This is super rural Minnesota so we have no immediate access to kitten formula/fake nipples/heating pad. I did an amazon order with 1-day shipping, but since tomorrow is Sunday won't come until Monday. My plan is to use human infant formula out of a pipette until then. For heat I'm using old clothes to divert heat from a fake fireplace:

(heat comes out the top, so hopefully this makeshift blind reflects a lot of it into the bucket)

Happy for any goon ideas on how to make do without the "right tools". I've owned cats for a long time but never any kittens. Here is the obligatory picture tax:

(yes, after food and poops are sorted cleaning is next!)

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Target has halloween stuff out, and that means pet costumes!

Ginny and Creampuff didn't want any part of it so I had to promise treats, then they begrudgingly accepted their fates:

Ginny as a blurry moo moo cow

Creamy as a lion, which was obviously too big for her

And for reference, heres Ginny last year as a Cat-dy corn

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Here are my fuzzbuzzes.

This is Mollie, aka. Little Bun. She's 20 weeks now. The rainbow light reflecting through my front door to the back of the house looked cool so I took a photo.

Here's Bella, aka. Big Bean. She's about 5 years old, we adopted her from our neighbour's sister when she moved and couldn't take pets.

They play fight a lot, with each of them instigating it pretty equally. There is often a lot of nasty sounding growling and other unusual cat noises, but neither of them are ever running away to hide. They'll run around and chase each other afterward, but never retreat to separate parts of the house. Is there anything to worry about here? Bella (the older cat) hisses and growls deeply at Mollie at times and swats at her, but there's never been any injuries or anything that I can see.

Bonus upside-down kitten sleeping:

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 15, 2018

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Blackchamber posted:

Target has halloween stuff out, and that means pet costumes!

Snowy isn't a huge fan of his nigiri costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcnK4XuHQA

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok literally NOT for me cause I don’t have dogs.

My friend travels sometimes for his job so he has to put his cats at his moms house. One is a huge dog that’s one of the one where they clip their tails and ears, don’t remember what they’re called. The other is some hyper mutt.

Today I went over to my friends house and he just got the cats today. He said they were drinking like crazy so since I am a crazy cat lady and he is too we knew it is because the dogs are drinking all of the water and/or scaring the poo poo out of the cats if they try to drink.

Any suggestions? All the water feeders are for cats AND dogs so that’s not an option.

While typing this, thought of this: would it be crazy for his mom to install a tiny cat door in one of the rooms she doesn’t use and put the water in there? She’s not good with cats and has a very $$$ house but a long story it’s possible she might be convinced maybe?

E: keeping them at my house or boarding them or having a sitter isn’t an option because he leaves for sometimes 3 weeks at a time.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 15, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hito posted:

hey thread. Visiting my parents, found a barn kitten seems to have been abandoned. Can't find mama and two littermates were found dead in the yard, so it definitely seems the wrong move to leave her in the barn.

This is super rural Minnesota so we have no immediate access to kitten formula/fake nipples/heating pad. I did an amazon order with 1-day shipping, but since tomorrow is Sunday won't come until Monday. My plan is to use human infant formula out of a pipette until then. For heat I'm using old clothes to divert heat from a fake fireplace:

(heat comes out the top, so hopefully this makeshift blind reflects a lot of it into the bucket)

Happy for any goon ideas on how to make do without the "right tools". I've owned cats for a long time but never any kittens. Here is the obligatory picture tax:

(yes, after food and poops are sorted cleaning is next!)

You want to ask this thread.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Update on Fidel Catstro's issues: after 2 weeks of spending the night locked in the laundry room, following an incident where he pissed on me as I picked him up and dropped him in one of the boxes, I was very happy yesterday when he hopped in the dining room litterbox to piss instead of going on the floor.

Until half an hour later when I noticed him taking a poo poo and dropped him in the box and locked him in the laundry room immediately.

It seems almost like he's such an rear end in a top hat he forgot his litter training entirely.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Thin Privilege posted:

While typing this, thought of this: would it be crazy for his mom to install a tiny cat door in one of the rooms she doesn’t use and put the water in there? She’s not good with cats and has a very $$$ house but a long story it’s possible she might be convinced maybe?

First thing I thought of was some of the makeshift chambers I've seen people make with the surefeed rfid cat doors. You can install them on plastic tubs and make a little room with food or water or whatever that only the cats can get in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pixelante posted:

Snowy isn't a huge fan of his nigiri costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcnK4XuHQA

Oh man now I wish we had Target here still.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think my cats are going through a bout of a stomach virus. One of them started with diarrhea on Thursday and has slowly recovered with him being pretty normal today. His appetite was down but he could handle some food.

His brother was fine until last night/this morning and now he has diarrhea with added vomiting. I’m a little more worried because of the vomiting especially if he won’t keep anything down later today. I’ll take him to the vet if he gets worse.

Internet searching leads me to believe it’s probably a rotavirus and the best thing to do is rest and fluids. Apparently it’s best to separate the cats including litter boxes while they are sick and that’s why the second cat is now sick.

Has anyone else had their cats get a stomach virus and spread it to each other? I’m guessing it will probably resolve in the next day or so but curious what other people experienced.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So i moved in with my GF recently. She has 2 cats - brother and sister, together since birth (they're around 5 years old now).

The brother has always been "the cat that loves everybody, and he'll probably go home with anybody". The sister has always been the skittish one.

Well, it's worked out to be the opposite with me. The brother liked me when GF is around, but we work wildly different schedules - he'd get really aggressive if I was in the bed alone, and try to corner me when I'd get out of bed. Meanwhile, his sister absolutely loved me (still does).

Brother cat has warmed up to me. Maybe a bit too much. He waits for me to get home (much like my cats have done in the past), but when I get home, he decides it's time to shoulder surf. I'm fine with that, so long as I get a little warning before a 10 pound cat is suddenly wrapped around my neck. What I'm not cool with is when he literally takes a running jump from across the room. Usually I catch him running out of the corner of my eye and either catch him, catch him and guide him up, or duck once he's airborne (when I know he won't be able to stick the landing without scratching the poo poo out of me). When he catches me off guard like that, I can't help guide him up, which means claws, ripped shirts, and me leaking some red.

GF says the only other person he shoulder surfed with remotely as often was her ex BF of 15 years (and it wasn't nearly as much... maybe a couple of times a week, vs several times a day with me). Both cats are honestly pretty ill behaved (which I'm slowly breaking with a mix of bitter apple spray and a whooole lot of double sided tape on counters). Her ex and I are about the same height, so it's not a height thing.

tl;dr what's up with this cat? I can't quite tell if he just really likes me, or if he's trying to assert some kind of dominance. I'd be fine with it if he wasn't so aggressive about wanting up on my shoulders, but my shirts (and shoulders) are slowly getting shredded. I'm not that tall (5'7), and there's cat trees taller than me here.

Bonus pic of cat on shoulder:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He really really loves you. If it's the first thing he does when you get home, try get his attention first rather than waiting for him to find you so you can manage what he does. You can try redirect his affection by either discouraging him from climbing you, either dumping him off or leaning over til he jumps to make sure he gets the message that your shoulders are not a place for him, or you can make it easier for him to get up on you without so much effort i.e. by kneeling so he doesnt need to do a full leap. Trimming his claws regularly should help with cuts and bleeding.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's what I was hoping for (also the way I was leaning)..

GF has no problem trimming their claws, since she's had them since they were ~4 months old. They won't let me do it (yet), but the male lets me basically manhandle him until it comes to nail trimming time. The female isn't so keen on it, but she at least lets me pick her up and carry her - she just starts squirming a bit and making a bit of noise (GF is the only other person who can pick her up without a hiss and swat).

My biggest concern was the fact that Mr has been a gigantic dick, and will still randomly be a dick, but as time has gone on (it's been close to 2 months since I moved in), it's become obvious it's more of a "I'm being a dick because I'm bored as poo poo, and I've been locked up in this bedroom with this snoring fatass goon". I've had several cats myself (and my own cat is currently being fostered by a friend, since the apartment we're in has a strict 2 pet limit + :stonk: $40/mo additional rent per animal poo poo - also 800 sq ft really isn't enough for 3 cats).

The funny thing is, when I get home, I'll look at him and pat my shoulders in a "hey man, come up and say hi" motion, and he does the typical cat thing of "oh gently caress you, I'm not giving you the time of day now that you WANT my attention".

He doesn't climb - it's always a jump (I swear the fucker is part rabbit). If I see "the look" on his face, and I'm in a position where he can jump up without hurting me, I'll lean over a bit and help him stick the landing. The literal running jump from across the room happened for the first time 3 days ago.

I just need to work on discipline with them I guess. GF has been spending the past 5 years locking them in the bedroom (which has nothing with cords... so no lights, no TV, just a night light and a ceiling fan) when she's asleep or gone. I really don't like doing that, but it's really obvious they've never really been trained beyond a "here's the litter box" and "HEY rear end in a top hat GET OFF THE COUNTER *spray bottle*". She's at work right now (and I still haven't slept :argh:), so I have both of them out of the bedroom and hanging out with me.

The funny thing is, I haven't really interacted with him nearly as much as his sister, mostly because he's been a dick so often. I'm just gonna guess he doesn't associate me with the spray bottle (as much).

fake edit (fake because I hadn't clicked submit reply yet when I got up from my desk): he just gave a loud MRAW (the angry type, the kind you get when you accidentally step on a cat's tail) and swatted me pretty hard as I walked by, with claws out. Didn't draw blood, but didn't do my shirt any favors. That's the poo poo that's so confusing, he goes from "I'm gonna slam into you at 30 MPH with my forehead as my way to give headbutts" to "gently caress you, gonna swat/scratch/bite (hard)" with no warning. When I came back, he did a playful swat and let me pet him (then resumed licking his rear end).

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Hello thread,
A friend of mine's cat recently gave birth to kittens and I adopted 2 kittens last week, They are 2 months old

They are adorable and they really like to play with each other. It looks like a fight to the death, where their ears going into aeroplane mode and just going at it, no sounds. Just an occasional miauw. to let the other cat know that was a bit too much I think.
Both of them are the aggressor. They use the same litterbox and they sleep next to each other.

They are really energetic and love playing. They love chasing the red light from a laserpen.
I'm still figuring out what kind of food they like. They eat wet food but seem to refuse hard food, I put 2 bowls next to each other. one with water and one with cat milk. They always go for the cat milk bowl

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sefal posted:

They are adorable and they really like to play with each other. It looks like a fight to the death, where their ears going into aeroplane mode and just going at it, no sounds. Just an occasional miauw. to let the other cat know that was a bit too much I think.

That's exactly what the little meow means. This is completely normal kitten behavior, don't worry about it unless there's actual blood. This is also why goons so consistently recommend getting kittens in pairs, so they're taking out this energy on each other rather than on you or the furniture.

They're cuties. :3:

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Dilber posted:

My cat is maybe 3, and it's looking like she has renal failure. They'll do the ultrasound tomorrow, and it's weird to think that the best case is an auto immune disease that can be treated. I'm so angry at the vet that the adoption clinic made us use. They gave her something for phosphorous back in January, and did zero follow up. Took her to a friend that's a vet, and he looked at the bloodwork and he was pissed because they should have actually treated it instead of treating it as a minor problem and going "welp, everything is good now".

If it is CRF, I'm going to look into transplants since I can afford it, but I don't know if that's what's best for her.

Wanted to give an update on this. She's 100% in renal failure. No auto-immune disease, so it's a matter of time. Based off the ultrasound, one of the kidneys is end stage, and the other kidney is at about half usage, so she's at around 25% kidney usage.

The good news is that she is responding EXTREMELY well to maintenance treatment. Two of her meds are transdermal, so they aren't a pain to give. She's now on fluids at home every other day, and she isn't a fan, but she's getting more used to it as we bribe her with food.

She's also on an EPO as well now, which gave us a scare because we messed up her first shot at home and she had a lot of pain. We think that we got the needle a little bit too deep, and she was super sore, but it was scary when she ended up hiding under the dishwasher which we didn't know was possible because we have a wooden toe jam there. We ended up having to drag her out, because we tried to get her out with food, but every time her side touched the dishwasher she let out a gasp and retreated.

Her bloodwork right now is great. All of her levels are normal, so she's at the correct level of fluids, which should help extend her life a bit. The other thing that'll help extend it is that she's gained weight. My friend told me that it's pretty rare for renal cats to gain weight, but she's gained back almost all the weight she lost. Her appetite is great, and she loves the renal food which is nice.

Overall, it's the "best" worst case scenario we can have for her. We're hoping for a couple years, but because of what it is you never know. She's acting like her regular weirdo self, and it's great. She's jumping around everywhere, playing with toys, and terrorizing the other cats.

She jumped up on her own, which was great because she's been a lot more tentative on jumping since she lost all that muscle.

Cat video where she's decided my shoes are the best:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnxDyjQhMb2/

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Took Noodles to the vet this morning. She hasn't really had an appetite for almost two weeks now. Just kind of taking a few bites every so often and overall only eating about half of what she needs to eat in a day. Otherwise seems fine, no other symptoms.

Vet gave her a good checkup and said everything looked great but she has a bit of a fever. Antibiotics for the next 7 days for an unidentified infection. Hopefully she starts feeling better soon.

edit: sad sick kitty pic

owls or something fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 17, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Dilber I am happy she is responding well! I hope she keeps doing so! Same to Noodles! And Sefal oh my gosh you are blessed, what amazing little cuties!

I actually came to the thread with good news on Sugi's kidneys; the vet screwed something up and the second, more extensive slate of testing showed no sign of kidney disease!!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Oh man now I wish we had Target here still.

I think this one actually came from a big box pet store. Target was only here for a short while before it went under. :canada:

Michael's also has a lot of great pet costumes, which seems a little off brand for a craft store, but I guess they know their base.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well I heard something alarming today. Supposedly there’s a lady in my neighborhood who’s trapping and shooting cats. I’m not entirely sure what her address is, but I might be able to find out.

Is there something I can do about this?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Call the poleece and/or fish and wildlife or animal control. And keep your kitty indoors o_O

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

From what I’ve been told, the ASPCA has been notified but said there’s nothing they can do about it. I’m in Texas, if this helps anyone.

This is all pretty much heresay right now, but a bunch of stray cats have been disappearing around my block recently so it definitely fits. Like I said earlier, we don’t have an exact address, but based on what we’ve been told I can at least pinpoint a general area within a block or two. I may have to talk to the neighbor that told us this again to see if I can get some more exact info.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
This is sadly not uncommon. Someone decides they're going to solve their local stray cat/animal problem vigilante style. Or, just a sick person who gets off on killing living creatures.

For example, someone on the Big Island of Hawaii has been shooting cats with arrows: https://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/-1-000-reward-for-information-on-big-island-cats-shot-with-arrows/1422108495

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Give cats guns. :mad:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Trap her and shoot her imo

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Do to animal abusers what they do to animals.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

And now I have another problem. My dumb stupid idiot moron mother brought two stray kittens into our house, and now we can’t get to them. One has wedged itself deep into the workings of a recliner that’s too heavy for us to lift. Tne other one ran into my parents’ bedroom and has seemingly vanished. Both are obviously terrified.

We’ve sequestered our other cats into separate rooms so they can’t get to the kittens, but obviously we can’t keep them there forever.

How do we coax these kittens out of hiding so we can get them somewhere safe?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

And now I have another problem. My dumb stupid idiot moron mother brought two stray kittens into our house, and now we can’t get to them. One has wedged itself deep into the workings of a recliner that’s too heavy for us to lift. Tne other one ran into my parents’ bedroom and has seemingly vanished. Both are obviously terrified.

We’ve sequestered our other cats into separate rooms so they can’t get to the kittens, but obviously we can’t keep them there forever.

Food. And time.

Don't try to force them out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What does Cat Thread recommend for automatic feeders? Looking for something to dispense dry food and hopefully keep Jackson from whining me awake every morning an hour before I want to get up.

He's an only cat for now but I plan to get a second cat sometime in the next month or two, if it matters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

FBS posted:

What does Cat Thread recommend for automatic feeders? Looking for something to dispense dry food and hopefully keep Jackson from whining me awake every morning an hour before I want to get up.

He's an only cat for now but I plan to get a second cat sometime in the next month or two, if it matters.

I use this: https://www.chewy.com/qpets-6-meal-...ExoCr20QAvD_BwE

My only issues with it is that the protective shield can be pulled away by the cat if they're hangry enough, and the clock will start going fast, but otherwise it does the job. Basically I can get 2 feedings a day in it for 3 days before refilling. I have 2 cats and they share out of it.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Do you have access to a trap? If not, a humane society branch or animal shelter may loan you one for free.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The kittens have both been caught and are in a pet carrier with food, water, litter, and towels for bedding. They’re still scared but we’re hoping they’ll settle down soon.

Now we need to figure out what to do with them shelter-wise. They’re not yet tame around people, and they’re part of a litter that also isn’t tame around people. Should we make sure they’re socialized with humans before we take them to a shelter? Do we need to catch the rest of the litter and/or the mother before we take them in? Are we supposed to have them looked at by a vet before we take them in, or is that something the shelter does?

Part of our issue is that we have three other cats and we don’t want them getting sick or too heavily stressed by these kittens. One of them doesn’t seem to give a poo poo about them, and another one kinda gives a poo poo about them, but the other one has been running around the house hissing every time she looks at them.

EDIT: Photo

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Now we need to figure out what to do with them shelter-wise. They’re not yet tame around people, and they’re part of a litter that also isn’t tame around people. Should we make sure they’re socialized with humans before we take them to a shelter? Do we need to catch the rest of the litter and/or the mother before we take them in? Are we supposed to have them looked at by a vet before we take them in, or is that something the shelter does?

Call local shelters and ask. Most likely you'll be able to take them in immediately and drop them off, socializing semi-feral kittens usually isn't hard and two cuties like those will probably get fostered and adopted fast. For more info on that sort of thing, ask this thread.