Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kai Tave posted:

In large part I think this was it, really. People were mad about 3E too, but there wasn't any sort of competing D&D-alike at the time that was a viable alternative for someone who wanted to continue playing a regularly supported AD&D2E clone, so the people who remained mad about 3E gradually faded into irrelevance without the presence of extensive online communities dedicated to supporting their tastes and publishers supporting their edition preferences, or simply just gradually transitioned over to playing 3E after a period of grumbling. With the 3E/4E changeover that was no longer the case.

Paizo definitely stoked the flames but the backlash was happening before pathfinder existed, because those online communities were bigger, more hyperbolic, and troll-infested than Usenet.

PF filled a hole that had already wrenched itself out of the earth. Bear lore and “I’m angry that you can just MAKE enemies hit themselves MY VERISIMILITUDE” were memes from the moment materials were previewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Do the Dragonfoot forums still make people refer to 3e as The Edition That Shall Not Be Named?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
All I can say is thank god that at least nobody lost their minds about D&D 5E being a thing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It absolutely can, if you're coming at it from the perspective of people who play pick-up games. People here constantly complain about how D&D pushes everything else out of the public eye; the same thing is true of editions. New edition comes out and after the initial transition period that's what people see, so that's what they play.

Having a scaled-back public profile and fewer completely new people picking it up isn't the same thing as killing it. And I mean if we're talking about the reality of the situation, what large-scale stats are available point to 3e being both more widely played and having more interested potential players right now than 4e, so any initial preconceptions that switching editions "killed" 3e certainly turned out to be completely wrong.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Mister Olympus posted:

Paizo definitely stoked the flames but the backlash was happening before pathfinder existed, because those online communities were bigger, more hyperbolic, and troll-infested than Usenet.

PF filled a hole that had already wrenched itself out of the earth. Bear lore and “I’m angry that you can just MAKE enemies hit themselves MY VERISIMILITUDE” were memes from the moment materials were previewed

Bear Lore made me want to play 4e, because it meant it didn't take itself too seriously. I want my core mechanics taken seriously and the fluff taken less seriously in my action-adventure games.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

The Lore Bear posted:

Bear Lore made me want to play 4e, because it meant it didn't take itself too seriously. I want my core mechanics taken seriously and the fluff taken less seriously in my action-adventure games.

I don't know why people are so hung up on Bear Lore. It just means that Kobolds and poo poo are as common as actual fuckin' bears.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

The Lore Bear posted:

Bear Lore is obviously what a wandering angel or tropical islander or whatever would roll for if visiting a temperate forest.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Bear Lore is obviously what a wandering angel or tropical islander or whatever would roll for if visiting a temperate forest.

You’re making this too complicated. How often does an adventurer encounter goblins? All the time. They will also fight and kill at least one dragon in their lifetime.

How often are bears a random encounter? Almost never, as most GMs would think they’re boring and mundane.

People trawling the wilds are logically more familiar with Owlbears than Bear-Bears. It’s what they encounter more often.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Olympus posted:

Search Ryan Dancey "saving the hobby" to find references to the now deleted blog post of Mr OGL himself priming the anti-4e pump nearly a year before it existed.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Haystack posted:

Are you looking for detailed tactical naval combat, or just general support for life on and around ships? If it's the latter, then Spellbound Kingdoms might do you, particularly if you want to get into mass combat or run a well fleshed-out organization.

Finally bit the bullet and got the SK pdf, and oh man the social stuff and the fighting styles are a thing of absolute beauty.

The equipment rules are a bit half baked, and the layout is a mess, but that's just a result of it being one dude's insane passion project.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bedlamdan posted:

You’re making this too complicated. How often does an adventurer encounter goblins? All the time. They will also fight and kill at least one dragon in their lifetime.

How often are bears a random encounter? Almost never, as most GMs would think they’re boring and mundane.

People trawling the wilds are logically more familiar with Owlbears than Bear-Bears. It’s what they encounter more often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41SBcq1wYk

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What company is the Steve Jobs of Marketing ruining these days?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

whydirt posted:

What company is the Steve Jobs of Marketing ruining these days?

He's back with AEG last I heard, right after they sold L5R to Fantasy Flight, so I guess he spends most of his time coming up with bold new visions for marketing the latest version of Smash Up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
4e early on was deliberately vague about fluff to give people room to make up their own or whatever, but turns out people like the fluff.

Note, along with fixed math, MM3 and Monster Vault have tons of fluff. Some are outright campaign hooks on their own.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bedlamdan posted:

All I can say is thank god that at least nobody lost their minds about D&D 5E being a thing.

I did but no one noticed.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Note, along with fixed math, MM3 and Monster Vault have tons of fluff. Some are outright campaign hooks on their own.

Correct, original MM1 and MM2 were garbage and those are much better.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bedlamdan posted:

That long series of previews and articles about design, the vast majority of which were baffling nonsense that had no bearing on the finished product, allowed us to lose our poo poo at them gradually, over time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

3e wasn't "killed" by 4e. The discontinuation of first-party support can't kill a game, especially one with as active of a third party community as 3e had. I'm also not following what sorts of play-styles 4e didn't support that prior editions did. First level being ultra-deadly for wizards and peasants? That part of chargen where you stack 3 base classes and 5 prestige classes for your ideal build? 3e's famously well-done and supported naval combat system?
We all know it's stuff like setting up a decanter of endless water at the dungeon entrance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
A playstyle that 4e genuinely doesn't support is one where characters are disposable and easily replaced. Of course, 3e didn't support that either.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

4e early on was deliberately vague about fluff to give people room to make up their own or whatever, but turns out people like the fluff.

It was either too vague, or it was "anime" because it described a fighter doing something. This was one of the things that was invented to complain about the game, and there was no winning on this front.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moriatti posted:

Correct, original MM1 and MM2 were garbage and those are much better.

I keep reading this as Mega Man and wondering where all these terrible opinions came from.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I hated Megaman 1 but 2-4 were super epic

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Halloween Jack posted:

A playstyle that 4e genuinely doesn't support is one where characters are disposable and easily replaced. Of course, 3e didn't support that either.

Arguably, Gamma World supports that kind of play due to how easy it is to make characters, but that's kind of a different beast.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

4e has better fluff because it's vague

Edit: also 3.5 players handbook had no loving fluff at all and barely told clerics who the gods even were, i think there was a small chart.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 14, 2018

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bedlamdan posted:

Counterpoint:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
That is quite a ferocious encounter.

:v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Elfgames posted:

4e has better fluff because it's vague

Edit: also 3.5 players handbook had no loving fluff at all and barely told clerics who the gods even were, i think there was a small chart.

One page with a lot of the space given over to extremely overdeveloped crest art. Didn't help that it was the stick in the mud boring as poo poo Greyhawk gods, either. Oh boy, St. Cuthbert.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
AD&D 2E had an Ecology heading in the Monster Manual and both 3E and 4E, as much as they improved on the rules, were giant steps backwards in this respect.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Plenty of random encounter tables across editions have bears on them, but I've never ever made PCs fight something as mundane as a bear or some wolves.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Plenty of random encounter tables across editions have bears on them, but I've never ever made PCs fight something as mundane as a bear or some wolves.

To be fair I think something like 90% of bear and wolf encounters in D&D lead to a player immediately trying to tame it and give it a dumb name/tiny hat.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
When I think of good D&D enemies, I think of highly solitary creatures that usually run away at first sight of people.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lacking documentaries and modern wildlife scholarship I have to admit my knowledge of bears would be pretty limited all told.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is Fiasco good? I was looking for a short and easy narrative game. Most of my friends don't have experience playing characters, but it seems like it might be approachable enough to introduce to them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A big, dumb, timid animal that runs away from my chicken coop when I throw a rock at it is a pretty dangerous encounter for a 3e fighter.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dr Cheeto posted:

Is Fiasco good? I was looking for a short and easy narrative game. Most of my friends don't have experience playing characters, but it seems like it might be approachable enough to introduce to them.

Yes! Fiasco is amazing both as an intro to role-playing and an ideal pickup game for the nights when you have 2-3 hours but no adventure ready to go.

If everyone is new, use one of the ready-made Fiascos. It'll get you playing ASAP and significantly shorten the playtime.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dr Cheeto posted:

Fiasco is a pretty good time. My only caveat is that, like most narrative games, it has an intended tone/genre and goes hard on it; most of the characters will be bad people, and all of them will get screwed over (usually by other PCs), so if that's not something your group is comfortable with, I'd go with something else.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Fiasco is great and pretty easy for new players to get if they're into Cohen Bros films like Fargo or Burn After Reading or Guy Ritchie stuff like Snatch or Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

theironjef posted:

One page with a lot of the space given over to extremely overdeveloped crest art. Didn't help that it was the stick in the mud boring as poo poo Greyhawk gods, either. Oh boy, St. Cuthbert.

My favorite thing about the Greyhawk pantheon is that it includes 1) a literal cowboy and 2) a god named after a car.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I recall some guy wrote a long essay about Greyhawk as an early medieval setting, with constant tension between good and evil and no cartoon-show good guys, etc. but it's also clearly got a bunch of stuff that was just Gygax and his friends and their in-jokey PCs.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I recall some guy wrote a long essay about Greyhawk as an early medieval setting, with constant tension between good and evil and no cartoon-show good guys, etc. but it's also clearly got a bunch of stuff that was just Gygax and his friends and their in-jokey PCs.

Didn't they intially make Oerth by taking a map of Earth and flipping it upside down, with some of the in-univese cities replacing Chicago and Milwaukee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ask me about the rich lore of the Magic Elf, Melf