Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
This is now going to be the part where I drop hints about WWE hurting the indie scene with the signing of another top name, but I'm only talking about WWE contacting people like Stokely due to them suddenly having a renewed interest in managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Roque11 posted:

This is now going to be the part where I drop hints about WWE hurting the indie scene with the signing of another top name, but I'm only talking about WWE contacting people like Stokely due to them suddenly having a renewed interest in managers.

when did you start getting scoops

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Never said on Twitter it was a top name or even a wrestler. It isn't Stoke either.

Anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIuiyypK1d8

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rovert posted:

Never said on Twitter it was a top name or even a wrestler. It isn't Stoke either.

Anyway:

You forgot to switch to your Roque account

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd be so mixed about Stoke signing if he did. I want him to do well but I feel they'd rob him of a lot of what makes him a great personality.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Von Linus posted:

Jonathan Gresham is part of it too. I think that's Calamari Catch Kings rather than CCK though. You have to give Brookes credit for branding.

Travis Banks is also CCK

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

This match is great, watch it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd be so mixed about Stoke signing if he did. I want him to do well but I feel they'd rob him of a lot of what makes him a great personality.

I hear you but there's very little money in being an indie manager.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

rovert posted:

Anyway:

Awesome match, but this match once again showed to me that Ospreay needs to drop the Sasuke Special from his arsenal, because much like in recent New Japan matches, he barely clears the top rope and if his opponent is even remotely out of place to catch him, he's bound to smash head-first into the apron and paralyze himself one day.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

MLW Wargames competing with Okada v Tana in the G1 on television.

Feels like Swerve is getting signed given how quickly he was taken out and ...I hate Callahan.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/ThisIs_Progress/status/1041024162133946369

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/MLW/status/1041084425239318528

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
On the docket for tonight at BOLA

quote:

Marko Stunt faces Trevor Lee
Robbie Eagles faces DJ Z
Darby Allin faces Jeff Cobb
Sammy Guevara faces Jonah Rock
Ilja Dragunov faces Shingo Takagi
WALTER faces Timothy Thatcher
Six-Man Tag Team Match: Bandido, Flamita, and Rey Horus take on CIMA, Zachary Wentz, Dezmond Xavier

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
let's go Darby

also, please don't die

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wish PWG streamed on Powerbomb or something.

Also, War Games was fun if messy. Fulton caught a nasty cut under his eye that he tweeted out if you want to look inside of his face.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

part of what keeps PWG special is that they don't stream or do live ppv. if they started streaming it'd limit the roster of guys they could bring in and use.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
Maybe. But it'd be more accessible too so.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

wagnike2 posted:

Maybe. But it'd be more accessible too so.

Except because of wrestlers who have tv deals and contracts with other companies they wouldn't be able to use 90 percent of the roster. Or they would have to pay a lot more money to use them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

STONE COLD 64 posted:

part of what keeps PWG special is that they don't stream or do live ppv. if they started streaming it'd limit the roster of guys they could bring in and use.

How long until BOLA is on Highspots?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

How long until BOLA is on Highspots?

DVD? Might be about or over a month. Everything's up to date currently to this point, they've gotten better with that because I remember the wait used to be a lot longer making it more difficult to catch up

On the Highspots streaming service? :lol::rip: the most recent PWG stuff up there is BOLA 2017 so that's a 12-month wait

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

was a decent excuse a few years ago but i dont think theres a single guy at bola or any of their shows this year they couldnt stream on ippv because of contracts

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 16, 2018

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Even a digital download on Highspots or whatever would be neat. Do they do those? It's always seemed like they take forever to get their shows out there and I don't really need to buy a DVD in 2018.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

oatgan posted:

was a decent excuse a few years ago but i dont think theres a single guy at bola or any of their shows this year they couldnt stream on ippv because of contracts

Jeff Cobb? He's on an ROH contact that would prohibit him I think.

Either way PWG doesn't want to be more accessible and they're happy with being the business they are. They know their niche.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cobb isn’t on an exclusive roh contract he was just on an aaw ippv a couple weeks ago

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Just got back from Night 2 and thought it was top to bottom the best PWG show I’ve seen. Not sure if I saw the single best PWG match, but for overall show, this was tops.

More thoughts when I get home, but man was this good and man is Bandido gonna be huge...

Some more quick and dirty reaction:

- Marko/Lee was an excellent opener, with some great comedy to start and fans throwing fun-sized candy like streamers at the beginning.
- Sammy/Rock very good. Technically this was three heels in the ring at once with Justin reffing, so bit strange that Jonah became defacto face. Sammy is pretty great at the smarmy heel thing and I don't think I've been to a show where the heel at the end got "don't come back" chants.
- DJ Z/Eagles really got going by the end. DJ has come a long way and also had a pretty drat awesome entrance by PWG standards. Bit sloppy but still good.
- Cobb/Darby was next and at this point in the show things just got loving nuts. Darby had a deathwish with the bumps and dives he was doing, including doing a Coffin Drop onto the ring apron that was pretty sick.
- Ilja/Shingo had some scary stuff but was overall excellent. Ilja is tremendous at babyface fire and I really hope he does more US dates after this. Shingo a little more over.
- Ringkamp explosion was brutal. Euro version of a Shibata/Goto match. Walter threw the single sickest lariat I've ever seen and thankfully it was the finish.
- Main event six man was pure insanity. Everyone had some killer spots, including CIMA who I've loved for years but was pleasantly surprised kept up with the other five guys.

Last four were all well above 4 stars and Bandido was clearly to me the most over person tonight. Going to sit tomorrow out but I'm sure it'll be good. I went to night 1 as well, and it was good, but this was a proper BOLA night and still my favorite PWG show.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 16, 2018

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Meanwhile in the UK

Cancelled Dwarfanators wrestling show 'to sue venues' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45522480

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I was at an Anime Con in Atlantic City over the weekend that had as an event "Cosplay Wrestling". I ignored it the first night, but ended up watching their second show, and it's actually pretty good. They seem to be sort of touring, doing cons with some storylines. But they were surprisingly good, maybe one or two really bad botches for the whole show. Otherwise I'd put them on par with the most of the Chikara rookies the last few years. So I guess if you happen to be at a con and they are there, it's definitely worth a watch. They were pretty good at working the crowd too. Someone kept getting a chant of superkick going, and one of the heels yelled "you want a superkick?" did all the warmup and setup for one and then just punched the other guy and yelling at the crowd that they don't deserve a superkick.

They were called Cosplay Pro Wrestling.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/DUNKZILLADavis/status/1041689693836980225

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Global Wars is looking incredible so far. So glad I'm able to go to this one

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

syzpid posted:

I was at an Anime Con in Atlantic City over the weekend that had as an event "Cosplay Wrestling". I ignored it the first night, but ended up watching their second show, and it's actually pretty good. They seem to be sort of touring, doing cons with some storylines. But they were surprisingly good, maybe one or two really bad botches for the whole show. Otherwise I'd put them on par with the most of the Chikara rookies the last few years. So I guess if you happen to be at a con and they are there, it's definitely worth a watch. They were pretty good at working the crowd too. Someone kept getting a chant of superkick going, and one of the heels yelled "you want a superkick?" did all the warmup and setup for one and then just punched the other guy and yelling at the crowd that they don't deserve a superkick.

They were called Cosplay Pro Wrestling.

if I remember correctly, Leva Bates has a hand in this.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Bandido became a legit star over the weekend.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dr. Baker posted:

Bandido became a legit star over the weekend.

What happened?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

SalTheBard posted:

What happened?

BOLA

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Bandido had a star making run in PWG's Battle of Los Angeles.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
When I was walking out of All In I looked at my friend that I was with and said "Goddamn that guy (Bandido) is going to be a star!" I heard a crazy story which was the Bucks found him via a video on youtube and booked him 30 minutes later.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bandido left zero impression in his Dragon Gate run earlier this year so I had to check it's even the same guy we're talking about here

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Bandido's rise started because of his dragon gate tag match against Wentz and Dezmond. it got talked up and PWG ran the match again in the US and he's been getting steady bookings since with Flamita

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The match with Flamita vs Lucha Brothers at AAW All In weekend was pure fire, he deserves the push.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

Bandido's rise started because of his dragon gate tag match against Wentz and Dezmond. it got talked up and PWG ran the match again in the US and he's been getting steady bookings since with Flamita

Guess that seasoning worked out then. Good for him!

Shingo Takagi announcing his free agency right before killing it at BOLA is a real career power move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Tonfa posted:

Shingo Takagi announcing his free agency right before killing it at BOLA is a real career power move.

Gives me hope that he'll be wrestling for New Japan soon. Him vs Ishiil? Hell yeah.