Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

So I'm trying to get my server to play trailers before a movie starts. Though instead of actual trailers I want it to randomly pick 3 files out of a folder called 'trailers'. I've tried all the stuff from the Plex forums about turning this feature on in Extras and moving Local Media Assets to the top of its respective Agents settings, ald all the files end in -trailer, but no dice. My preroll file seems to play fine, but it's not touching the trailers folder. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

I didn't think anyone actually liked those features. (The ones that do literally anything other than play exactly what you selected immediately.) I always want to throttle the developers who turn that garbage on by default. This goes for Amazon and HBO products as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Takes No Damage posted:

So I'm trying to get my server to play trailers before a movie starts. Though instead of actual trailers I want it to randomly pick 3 files out of a folder called 'trailers'. I've tried all the stuff from the Plex forums about turning this feature on in Extras and moving Local Media Assets to the top of its respective Agents settings, ald all the files end in -trailer, but no dice. My preroll file seems to play fine, but it's not touching the trailers folder. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

It's fun, like, once.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Go into Server>Extras; you can have it kind of do what you're intending, but you have to provide the path to each file, separated by a semi-colon, and then it will apparently pick one of those at random to play as a pre-roll trailer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I didn't think anyone actually liked those features. (The ones that do literally anything other than play exactly what you selected immediately.) I always want to throttle the developers who turn that garbage on by default. This goes for Amazon and HBO products as well.

TheScott2K posted:

It's fun, like, once.

I agree things like this should definitely be opt-in. My goal was to have a folder full of amusing Youtube clips that it would pick from before a movie starts, because when my parents say they're 'ready' it can still be a good 5-10 minutes before asses are actually in seats. And I assumed it would be easy to nextnextnext my way through them to get to the movie once everybody is in place.

Atomizer posted:

Go into Server>Extras; you can have it kind of do what you're intending, but you have to provide the path to each file, separated by a semi-colon, and then it will apparently pick one of those at random to play as a pre-roll trailer.

Well that's the preroll, but I thought that was a separate thing from the 1-5 trailers setting in Player > Extras.

My preroll seems to be working fine, right now it's that Feature Presentation kaleidescope thing from the Kill Bill movies and I do see that both in the web client and through a FireStick, but I thought the order of operations was something like Trailers > Preroll > Movie. I guess I'm still not sure how to define its Cinematic Trailer list that it pulls from, or can I even do that with local media?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

I agree things like this should definitely be opt-in. My goal was to have a folder full of amusing Youtube clips that it would pick from before a movie starts, because when my parents say they're 'ready' it can still be a good 5-10 minutes before asses are actually in seats. And I assumed it would be easy to nextnextnext my way through them to get to the movie once everybody is in place.

Well that's the preroll, but I thought that was a separate thing from the 1-5 trailers setting in Player > Extras.

My preroll seems to be working fine, right now it's that Feature Presentation kaleidescope thing from the Kill Bill movies and I do see that both in the web client and through a FireStick, but I thought the order of operations was something like Trailers > Preroll > Movie. I guess I'm still not sure how to define its Cinematic Trailer list that it pulls from, or can I even do that with local media?

You are overthinking the problem. "Pause" works for the exact problem you have with your parents just fine. Trailers and pre-rolls suck and are only liked by a tiny minority of home theater lunatics. And I say that as someone who used to be one.

Like, let's take the annoying advertisement poo poo that a lot of services (including loving Netflix, now) force on people and figure out a way to customize it for ourselves!

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Ixian posted:

You are overthinking the problem. "Pause" works for the exact problem you have with your parents just fine. Trailers and pre-rolls suck and are only liked by a tiny minority of home theater lunatics. And I say that as someone who used to be one.

Like, let's take the annoying advertisement poo poo that a lot of services (including loving Netflix, now) force on people and figure out a way to customize it for ourselves!

Agreed. People spend the time doing those prerolls and trailers before the movie to make the theater experience in the home more authentic--maybe to impress guests I suppose--but no one really gives a poo poo and it's just annoying. Aside from the other movie goers, the worst part of going to a theater is all the bullshit before the actual movie.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Any ideas why my plex server has all of a sudden randomly started throwing "transcoder errors" occasionally through my clients using local network chromecast? Nothing has changed, yet it is doing it every few episodes in multiple devices.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

iajanus posted:

Any ideas why my plex server has all of a sudden randomly started throwing "transcoder errors" occasionally through my clients using local network chromecast? Nothing has changed, yet it is doing it every few episodes in multiple devices.

I had something similar with my appletv, I went to the codecs folder in plex and cleared it out (moved the folder just in case) and it reset them and it started working again.

Phone posting so don’t have the folder handy but it wasn’t hard to find. I run plex in an unraid docker.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Ixian posted:

HDHR Premium Instructions

Thanks for this writeup. I got the HD Homerun premium setup, and I can see the channels in the HDHR app, and on the list of channels on the tuner UI, but I cannot get plex to show the channels when I do a scan. I still only see the local channels.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Not That Into You posted:

Thanks for this writeup. I got the HD Homerun premium setup, and I can see the channels in the HDHR app, and on the list of channels on the tuner UI, but I cannot get plex to show the channels when I do a scan. I still only see the local channels.

Ahh - I think I got it fixed. For some reason, all the premium channels were in DEMO mode on the HDHR, meaning that the license hadn't been applied according to the HDHR forums. I needed to reboot the tuner, then they showed up (now without the DEMO tag), and PLEX could find them when scanned

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

priznat posted:

I had something similar with my appletv, I went to the codecs folder in plex and cleared it out (moved the folder just in case) and it reset them and it started working again.

Phone posting so don’t have the folder handy but it wasn’t hard to find. I run plex in an unraid docker.

I've never played around with this stuff before, so Plex just rebuilds it on the fly?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

iajanus posted:

I've never played around with this stuff before, so Plex just rebuilds it on the fly?

Yeah, it repopulates the required codecs. I think something got out of whack with the player (atv in my case) and just starting fresh did the trick.

Safest thing to try is just rename the Codecs folder to Codecs_bak, it should re-add and repopulate Codecs folder.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iajanus posted:

priznat posted:

Bizarre as hell, same thing was happening for me with just about any client. Plex in Docker on Ubuntu, moved the Codecs folder to force it to rebuild and all is well. Yet the new codecs match up 1:1 with the old ones on md5sum.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Why is exoplayer v2 so lovely? The android app still runs like rear end on my Mate SE and the only way around the lovely video playback is to force the app to use an external player :( What's so confusing to me is playback in Chrome via the Plex web app runs properly with zero issues.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looks like Plex Cloud's End of Life announced for November https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/plex-cloud-shutting-down-1202936840/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Not particularly surprised by that. Honestly them having to kill Amazon drive support almost immediately was a big red flag.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Can you still connect a GSuite Drive?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bizarre as hell, same thing was happening for me with just about any client. Plex in Docker on Ubuntu, moved the Codecs folder to force it to rebuild and all is well. Yet the new codecs match up 1:1 with the old ones on md5sum.

Yeah I've done the suggestion and the problem send to be gone, even though the new files also seem to be identical. Very odd.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Anyone have an issue with Plex through the Roku front end for a TCL tv? Basically the sound will cut off, the video will play for 10 seconds more then TV just crashes/reboots. The TV is a R615 (The best buy model)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had that happen on both my TCL Roku TV and my Roku Ultra, but on a rare and non-reproducible basis.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's a quick and dirty expandable nas setup?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Housh posted:

The biggest synology you can afford.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Housh posted:

An old PC with a bunch of drive bays and unraid.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I love the two polar opposite, but somehow both correct, answers

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Install xpenology on that old pc and have both?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

An old PC with a bunch of drive bays and unraid.

Ding ding

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

eddiewalker posted:

Install xpenology on that old pc and have both?

Sure, thats definitely the happy medium and if it works for people then more power to you but mannn, the few times I've fooled around with xpenology it just seems so janky.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Matt Zerella posted:

Sure, thats definitely the happy medium and if it works for people then more power to you but mannn, the few times I've fooled around with xpenology it just seems so janky.

*shrugs* I flashed the bootloader onto a thumb drive, booted the machine once with a monitor attached to generate a serial number, then it was just a matter of using the official Synology recovery tool to install an official DSM image.

It sucks not being able to update in place, but pretty smooth otherwise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else get a mixture of IMDb scores and Rotten Tomatoes scores for their movies? Is it down to different scrapers being used for some reason?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone else get a mixture of IMDb scores and Rotten Tomatoes scores for their movies? Is it down to different scrapers being used for some reason?

All I'm getting is the 5-star-rating thing, and I don't know where that's coming from. I don't think I'm getting IMDB or RT ratings.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me. Have had this issue for a while. Was told on Plex forums that RT scores take priority, but will fall back to IMBb scores if scraper can't find RT. I don't buy that tho.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like I’m missing an easy solution but to get Subtitles available I have to go to a specific episode and go to Settings and choose Subtitles away from “Off”. Then and only then does flipping the top bar during the episode to “Auto” or “CC” actually do anything.

Is there a way to get Subtitles enabled by default or at least configure them per series?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Hed posted:

I feel like I’m missing an easy solution but to get Subtitles available I have to go to a specific episode and go to Settings and choose Subtitles away from “Off”. Then and only then does flipping the top bar during the episode to “Auto” or “CC” actually do anything.

Is there a way to get Subtitles enabled by default or at least configure them per series?

Only at a universal language level in settings. Whatever isn’t is in the language of the audio you want, it turns on subtitles. It blows for my use case.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teagone posted:

Me. Have had this issue for a while. Was told on Plex forums that RT scores take priority, but will fall back to IMBb scores if scraper can't find RT. I don't buy that tho.

Same issue, never looked into it though. Would be nice if RT just worked (or the scraper).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hed posted:

Server settings (via plex web), Language section, Subtitle mode: "Always enabled".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hed posted:

Just to add to the previous answers, this sounds like an Apple TV yeah? You shouldn’t ever need to touch those controls, subtitle stuff needs to be set prior to the video starting as it works differently to how the generic player does for other sources.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys. Yes this is an Apple TV. Although now I have the opposite problem, subtitles are always on! In the Apple TV client I just want the option to go to the top and choose whether to play the, for that episode or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As said before, the top menu on the Apple TV Plex client doesn’t do anything. You have to set it up in the Settings section for the ep before you hit play.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Looks like Plex is killing a bunch of stuff like plugins, might get me to read the official forums for the first time in forever to witness the meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Before anyone freaks out, scanners and metadata agents are staying.