Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You mean Earl's not the Keg right? Keg in West Van is part of Park Royal. That Ambleside building would have been my dream condo had I been forced stayed in this stupid city. I thought Grosvenor was one of the few somewhat non-negligent developers?

I'm all for bashing overpriced, bad condos/locations but that's one of the good ones in both regards. Can't speak for construction quality.

Also the sewage treatment plant is moving quite a ways east in the coming years and is upwind. Lower Lonsdale will get to smell it soon, another reason why I sold.

Earl's, the keg, same poo poo different branding.

Anyways yeah that is the building and no it is just as much a garbage overpriced shitbox as literally every building constructed in this city within the past decade. Nothing about those units was worth $15 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

Anyways yeah that is the building and no it is just as much a garbage overpriced shitbox as literally every building constructed in this city within the past decade. Nothing about those units was worth $15 million.

Not sharing walls and lobbies with plebs: priceless.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
OneCity's housing platform is out, featuring the embarrassingly-named 4 The City Tax

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Same poo poo but one is significantly more overpriced than the other, because it's where the TV tells you to go to celebrate the useless minutiae of your life, as opposed to the place where you can go with your sexually frustrated co-workers to eat lovely food and ogle the waitstaff.

I am angry, angry about chains and mediocrity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How about Boston Pizza :downsrim:

Yeah, chains tend to serve subpar food but Pizza hut was a really special birthday treat when I was a kid.

Chain restaurants make it easy for the family to go out and socialize. Especially poorer folks with smaller/crowded homes. In hotter countries, it’s free air conditioning! I also do like to try macdonalds all over the world to try out different localized tastes and differences.

It’s also weirdly comforting that most places in the world you can stop by for a big Mac as a fail safe option.

Living on top of a smelly restaurant isn’t so great though.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

chains and mediocrity

I’m sittin’ in the Boston Pizza
Just ordered up a great big feast, yeah, mmmm
In a booth that’s filled with greasy food,
Dirty tables with the wait staff rude
And every dish is completely bland
Fed to a sucker and his average clan

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
The room, where my stomach pain ends
The room, where gas can escape in
The room, where my bowels release is
Finally over

Everyday’s an endless stream
Of marginal food and corporate themes, mmm
And each place looks the same to me
Selling burgers, pizza, or coffee
And every servers face I see
Reminds me that I have to be

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Tonight I’ll eat this crap again
I’ll drink my endless pop and pretend
But all the food comes back to me
The chains and mediocrity
My full stomach disharmony
I know again that I have to be

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

:pusheen:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

caberham posted:

Chain restaurants make it easy for the family to go out and socialize.

What does a chain restaurant have that an independent restaurant doesn't, in regards to socialization?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Is that a good thing?

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah
Does Canada not have generic trademark rules like the US? I'm not sure how I feel about hiring a REALTOR®-brand realtor.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

What does a chain restaurant have that an independent restaurant doesn't, in regards to socialization?

Consistency

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

The knowledge that when you take you kids there that there will be other kids there that are probably worse in public than yours. Also they probably have a kids menu of bland food that your kid will eat without being an rear end in a top hat in public.

These things exist in independent restaurants but they are much easier to rely on with chains.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Someone is trying to sell this property for $700k more than, aka almost DOUBLE the assessed value from July 2017 of $823k.

Most things are going for slightly higher (10%-ish) than the 2017 value.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/19860908/32-6125-EAGLE-DRIVE-Whistler-British-Columbia-V0N1B6

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

Restroom bound
I need to be
Restroom bound
Finally over

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

1. More locations, easier access for everyone

2. Cheaper* price, so you can go more often

3. Someone else mentioned kids menu and variety of stuff to choose

4. Someone else mentioned consistency so you know what you will get.

God drat it I want to go to Boston Pizza.

But not all chains are bad. Joel Robuchon actually opened a bunch of French fine dining restaurants across the world. AFIK it’s not a Franchise but the menus are pretty similar. You can argue that rich people who go there are just as basic as your Keg/Earl’s crowd. Drinking VCP/Chablis/Burgundy/Bordeaux and ordering the mashed potatoes.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

caberham posted:

God drat it I want to go to Boston Pizza.

Did the song teach you nothing?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Did the song teach you nothing?

I live in Hong Kong right now but I found a flyer in my mailbox.

“TORONTO APARTMENTS! FIRST YEAR RENTAL INCOME GUARANTEED! FIRST YEAR MANAGEMENT FEES WAIVED”

Maybe I should instead go buy a house!

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

Hector Bremner is not mad at all

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Majuju posted:

Hector Bremner is not mad at all

It's pretty hard to feel bad about treatment he has received when he (well Mark Marissen really) also tried to take over the NPA board and take over the party.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Majuju posted:

OneCity's housing platform is out, featuring the embarrassingly-named 4 The City Tax

I honestly have a lot of trouble understanding how the Land Value Capture Tax is all that different from the system of Community Amenity Contributions (CACs) that the city gets from developers when land is rezoned. Perhaps it is the same concept but OneCity just wants to change it from the negotiated somewhat adhoc system we have now into something more standardized with set fees? This is also what other parties have suggested as well so I kind of don't get it... It feels like they're rebranding a concept that Vancouver has been using for decades. A major part of Vancouver revenue comes from CACs.

Anyway it's a pretty good platform. It's basically the pro-supply and development, "four floors and corner stores" everywhere idea, but pro-public housing and pro-renter.

If you want the same "four floors and corner stores" concept but with condos in addition to purpose built rental and low taxes then you gotta go with the YES Vancouver platform, which includes a massive in depth PDF. It's the most in depth platform anyone has put out by far.

"Highlights" I've seen:

* Claims YES Vancouver will make a city wide plan with "rigorous consultation process" in 9 months (Vision neighbourhood plans have taken 1-2 years...)
* Supports adding residential to the industrial False Creek Flats, then later in the document proclaims that the party will protect Industrial land.
* No CACs for purpose built rental (shockingly this has been the UDI talking point for the last year...)
* YES Vancouver will work with the province to introduce a speculation tax of 50% of the capital gains on the sale of unimproved, non-owner occupied homes and presale assignments within 24 months of purchase.
* "Review" Empty Home Tax
* "Review" Airbnb Regulations
* Several references to declining "per capita" home building, as if that concept makes any sense at all. (Shouldn't we normalize against population growth, not population total?)

After reading the platform, I feel it would be a pretty good guess that the persons funding the Anonymous YES Vancouver Super PAC are probably the developers that speculated on industrial Flats land with the hopes of building plenty of housing and which were rebuked by the Vision council. Either that or rental specialized developers which will make millions from CACs being waived.

To end on a less snarky note there's also some good stuff in the document around homelessness, about continuing with the modular housing program and building public below market housing on public land.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 15, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mark Marissen blocked me on twitter after I told him to tell his wife to resign

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

THC posted:

Mark Marissen blocked me on twitter after I told him to tell his wife to resign

You are a hero to millions. Marissen and Clark are horrible people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Meanwhile in Australia

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

I know they've been desperate giving out free months rent etc, but I guess they're stepping up the game and going with free dog on signed lease.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ofc one of the dogs is named Bruce

edit: maybe it's the lady? Australians do love the name Bruce...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

McGavin posted:

ofc one of the dogs is named Bruce

edit: maybe it's the lady? Australians do love the name Bruce...

https://youtu.be/bNBy1D1Y0h4

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
These caused a stir in New Zealand, from one of the branches of the largest property management company in the country. Can your tenant afford a beer?!?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Jesus Christ.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Frankly if your tenants aren't living a life of ascetic poverty, are you really doing your job as a landlord???

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
If we don't brutalise your tenants, who will? They're spending next months rent on beer and popcorn right now.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Honestly, I never thought I would be thinking that violent revolution would the answer, but this crap sure doesn't help make the case against it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

* Claims YES Vancouver will make a city wide plan with "rigorous consultation process" in 9 months (Vision neighbourhood plans have taken 1-2 years...)

I mean, I don't really know if it's fair to call this level of planning "Vision's", since it's mostly carried out by permanent staff. But on that note, trying to create a city-wide plan on that scale would probably need at least half of those 9 months just to hire enough new staff to do it. (It would also create an interesting problem of what to do with all those new planners you hired once you somehow completed this plan in less than a year.)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, I don't really know if it's fair to call this level of planning "Vision's", since it's mostly carried out by permanent staff. But on that note, trying to create a city-wide plan on that scale would probably need at least half of those 9 months just to hire enough new staff to do it. (It would also create an interesting problem of what to do with all those new planners you hired once you somehow completed this plan in less than a year.)

Well yes the planning is done by city staff, but the city councillors (in this case Vision) hire the city manager and chief planner, and direct staff, so they have many levers to set city planning direction.

You highlight one of many problems with the notion of a city wide plan. Former Councillor Gordon Price is not a fan of the idea of a city wide plan and notes that you'd also need to ostensibly freeze all development city wide while the plan takes place, which would be pretty wild.

I have to imagine that what Hector Bremner means by a city wide plan and consultation is not an actual comprehensive plan of the sort that the city has done with Grandview Woodlands and NEFC, but rather more of a brisk zoning update, like the "Making Room" initiative going on right now, which is a simple update to the RS1 zoning to make the minimum floor of allowed density in the city a duplex instead of a single family detached house.

Worth noting that Gregor Robertson's last move on his way out was to motion city staff to study extending the Making Room initiative to perhaps make the minimum floor a 4plex or 6plex, so if that happens there may not be that much of a gap between Vision policy and YES Vancouver policy with regard to upzoning RS1 city wide.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I'm not going to link all the tweets, but there's some buzz on Twitter that James Tansey, some supply-sider out of UBC's business school who has had a few reports published calling for increased density, etc, is illegally renting out properties on AirBNB under fake names (but the license is under his wife's).

This includes some $10m house on a 16,000 sqft lot, no self interest in those calls for upzoning there!

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1041536591708094464?s=19

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/9ggze7/the_truth_about_being_a_realtor/

Realtors must be starting to realize they'll be first against the wall, here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rime posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/9ggze7/the_truth_about_being_a_realtor/

Realtors must be starting to realize they'll be first against the wall, here.

The comments are being very gentle with the poster, considering.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

James Baud posted:

So I'm not going to link all the tweets, but there's some buzz on Twitter that James Tansey, some supply-sider out of UBC's business school who has had a few reports published calling for increased density, etc, is illegally renting out properties on AirBNB under fake names (but the license is under his wife's).

This includes some $10m house on a 16,000 sqft lot, no self interest in those calls for upzoning there!

meanwhile there's 650+ new listings since the beginning of September, when the City announced a bunch of listings were deleted/cancelled/converted to rentals

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/kgrahamcook/status/1042212188344086529

I hate to break it to ya bud, but going from SFH (with basement suite) to duplex is not going to do poo poo all for affordability.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
So they passed duplex zoning in CoV yesterday. What a brave step forward in improving affordability for millionaires in this city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So they passed duplex zoning in CoV yesterday. What a brave step forward in improving affordability for millionaires in this city.

What do the new regs allow? Can a laneway house be split off as a second property? Can you make two floors of the same house into separate apartments?

(I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing per se, but for sure it's generated a lot of political rumbling that seems to have largely missed the point.)