Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BigDave posted:

Nah, great-uncle you go to when you need help, but can't ask your parents.

yeah ok that's actually better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

DoktorLoken posted:

Any takes on what this means? Has Manafort possibly been cooperating prior to today?

A good chunk of that is likely boilerplate language (the undercover poo poo) that's in every cooperation agreement and shouldn't be looked into much.

The key is that to even GET the cooperation agreement, Manafort likely had to spill his guts in a proffer session. There's a lot of talk about "queen for a day" sessions where Manafort would go in a room, literally list and talk out his crimes, then not be prosecuted for any of them as part of the deal. The catch is that if you didn't talk about one of your crimes during that session, they can go after you for it. If you give up enough poo poo that makes you useful, congratulations you just talked yourself into a deal.

Edit: might not even be Trump related cooperation, but who the hell knows? https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1040640794091237376?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 14, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Manafort is the type of guy that would pull on his collar and talk into his shirt if he was undercover

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao gently caress everything

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I wonder why they didn't search the murderers apartment??? But no, not all policing institutions across the USA are corrupt piles of poo poo! Lol, like unless they're literally living the Andy Griffith show IRL, that most cops at the least is complicit in illegal rear end poo poo if they're not sending poo poo up to IA or whatever the resources are. If they don't because they know it wont matter, then that just goes to further show how rotten the whole thing is as an institution.

it's funny tho because cop shows and hollywood always want to show IA as like "the bad guys who will narc on you" and poo poo and the whole culture seems to disdain accountability or reporting poo poo so idk.

lol

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

9/11 was yesterday?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

uh what

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
pretty sure he's saying gently caress the police

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

mods changed my name posted:

pretty sure he's saying gently caress the police

this

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Seems appropriate that other important criminal related news is dropping today:

https://twitter.com/AVTVSeries/status/1032875061739438080

First season was a legitimately good send up of the True Crimes genre, hopefully they're able to keep it going in S2.

it was as good a pastiche as i can remember, yeah. Also my favorite depressed horse cartoon is back.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, you kill just dozens of unarmed, innocent people and all of a sudden people are mad at you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

it was as good a pastiche as i can remember, yeah. Also my favorite depressed horse cartoon is back.

I woke up at 4 to binge the whole season in case my power went out, E5-6-7-8 might be the most emotionally brutal streak of the entire series. Take breaks in between.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

shame on an IGA posted:

I woke up at 4 to binge the whole season in case my power went out, E5-6-7-8 might be the most emotionally brutal streak of the entire series. Take breaks in between.

Isn't it a comedic parody?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Turns out the 52k curtains for Haley's government apartment were ordered 2016 by a member of the Obama state department, so that article headline was pretty misleading :(

I don't care who loving ordered it, fraud, waste, and abuse need to be fought no matter the politics.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It makes a lot of goofy puns but it's also the rawest portrait of chronic depression in television history

This clip will let you know if it's the show for you.

https://youtu.be/F06UDnWW1HI

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 14, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

He meant the Bojack

shame on an IGA posted:

It makes a lot of goofy puns but it's also the rawest portrait of chronic depression in television history

This clip will let you know if it's the show for you.

https://youtu.be/F06UDnWW1HI

He meant the American Vandal

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

He's talking about Bojack

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Oooohhh. I totally missed that.

I love Bojack.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/IndivisibleNet/status/1040453006808907776?s=19

this tweet is about a racist piece of poo poo that threatens the lives of a couple black kids for daring to enjoy motorcycles

he then immediately redeems himself

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
And now he’s serving LWOP.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nah. Those cops were about to jack him up.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mlmp08 posted:

And now he’s serving LWOP.

Also good

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I saw somewhere that five people have died because of Florence. I’d go find the source but I’m sure the number will go up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Professor Bling posted:

https://twitter.com/IndivisibleNet/status/1040453006808907776?s=19

this tweet is about a racist piece of poo poo that threatens the lives of a couple black kids for daring to enjoy motorcycles

he then immediately redeems himself

If only nobody had guns, then violent racists would be harmless

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lmao gently caress everything

mods changed my name posted:

I wonder why they didn't search the murderers apartment??? But no, not all policing institutions across the USA are corrupt piles of poo poo! Lol, like unless they're literally living the Andy Griffith show IRL, that most cops at the least is complicit in illegal rear end poo poo if they're not sending poo poo up to IA or whatever the resources are. If they don't because they know it wont matter, then that just goes to further show how rotten the whole thing is as an institution.

it's funny tho because cop shows and hollywood always want to show IA as like "the bad guys who will narc on you" and poo poo and the whole culture seems to disdain accountability or reporting poo poo so idk.

lol

A Fox affiliate fanning the flames of RAHOWA? loving shocking.

The apartment was a crime scene. I imagine if they found something belonging to the cop that wasn't on her person that night they would then have justification to search her apartment. But I'm not a Dallas cop or Judge.

They already have the murder weapon. News articles say the neighbors reported behavior that indicates the shooter knew she wasn't at her own apartment. Dunno if they've made those statements to police or if that would be enough to justify a search because I'm not a Dallas cop or Judge.

Affidavit and inventory of poo poo found is here:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Documents-List-Property-Seized-From-Botham-Jeans-Apartment-493202321.html

"Arredondo, #7651, has reason to believe that Fired Cartridge Casings,
fired projectiles, firearms, ballistic vest, keys, trace evidence such
as blood, video surveillance system, any contraband, such as
narcotics, and other items that may have been used in criminal
offenses are in the above described residence."

Anybody know if "FJHF4FJN" is something that appears on these things or maybe a scan-to-text issue with a redacted item?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Victor Vermis posted:

Detail of note: Not an affiliate. That particular station is owned and operated by Fox.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I asked one of the medics in our unit who is a cop on the civilian side what he thought of the execution of the guy crawling towards the officer in the hotel a while back. He said it was bad, but within 2 minutes of conversation was saying you can't trust people even if they are in full compliance. Cops will never admit any shooting a police officer does is wrong. Ever.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Victor Vermis posted:

The apartment was a crime scene. I imagine if they found something belonging to the cop that wasn't on her person that night they would then have justification to search her apartment. But I'm not a Dallas cop or Judge.

They already have the murder weapon. News articles say the neighbors reported behavior that indicates the shooter knew she wasn't at her own apartment. Dunno if they've made those statements to police or if that would be enough to justify a search because I'm not a Dallas cop or Judge.

Affidavit and inventory of poo poo found is here:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Documents-List-Property-Seized-From-Botham-Jeans-Apartment-493202321.html

"Arredondo, #7651, has reason to believe that Fired Cartridge Casings,
fired projectiles, firearms, ballistic vest, keys, trace evidence such
as blood, video surveillance system, any contraband, such as
narcotics, and other items that may have been used in criminal
offenses are in the above described residence."

Anybody know if "FJHF4FJN" is something that appears on these things or maybe a scan-to-text issue with a redacted item?

I would just have assumed that investigating a murderers dwelling would be standard to look for signs of premeditation or whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

I asked one of the medics in our unit who is a cop on the civilian side what he thought of the execution of the guy crawling towards the officer in the hotel a while back. He said it was bad, but within 2 minutes of conversation was saying you can't trust people even if they are in full compliance. Cops will never admit any shooting a police officer does is wrong. Ever.

By this logic, might as well shoot them handcuffed. You never know.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

By this logic, might as well shoot them handcuffed. You never know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Chavis_Carter

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Wow cool story.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SimonCat posted:

That shooting was the most hosed up thing I've ever read too :smith:

If you've never seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1pJe_Tcdeg

The actual shoot isn't in the video frame, just audio.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 15, 2018

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Pretty sure there's a long discussion about it in that old GiP quarantine thread about all cops being murderers if you guys want to revive a discussion about poo poo that has nothing to do with the Dallas shooting and investigation and public perception of both.

Jesus christ.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

All cops are legal murderers.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Victor Vermis posted:

Pretty sure there's a long discussion about it in that old GiP quarantine thread about all cops being murderers if you guys want to revive a discussion about poo poo that has nothing to do with the Dallas shooting and investigation and public perception of both.

Jesus christ.

Our country's relationship with its police force is broken. The citizenry should not have to be afraid of those who are supposed to uphold and enforce the law but police culture sets them apart as a higher level citizen than the rest of us and encourages them to think that way. the concept of disobeying a "lawful order" by another citizen being a crime is directly at odds with the idea that we live in a free society.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Victor Vermis posted:

Jesus christ.

luckily you dont have look too hard to find lovely cop news, like this fine defender of the peace who molested an eight year old at gunpoint

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The militarization of the police force, uneven training requirements between precincts, and the whole THIN BLUE LINE mentality and the whole "I'll shoot someone if it's me vs him going home tonight" poo poo does not engender a whole lot of trust in the police force, and this leads to more friction between police and civilians, which leads to more shootings, and leads to less trust, and we get fully into ACAB. The way back is the police force needs to be demilitarized, actual cohesive training and certification requirements need to be a thing, and the THIN BLUE LINE bullshit needs to stop completely. The problems between police and civilians won't stop without that, because right now, no motherfucker is going to trust a uniform that's carrying a gun to not shoot them execution style for the smallest possible reason. The fact that the Justice Department circles the wagons whenever a hosed up shoot happens doesn't help.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cop talk to the cop thread and shootings to the "hosed up stuff I have to moderate closer" thread. These stories are current events and they are relevant, but splitting the discussion works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Our country's relationship with its police force is broken. The citizenry should not have to be afraid of those who are supposed to uphold and enforce the law but police culture sets them apart as a higher level citizen than the rest of us and encourages them to think that way. the concept of disobeying a "lawful order" by another citizen being a crime is directly at odds with the idea that we live in a free society.

So.. wanna jump in the discussion about this particular example of why that relationship is broken or are we just chilling out on soap boxes tonight?

edit:

EBB posted:

Cop talk to the cop thread and shootings to the "hosed up stuff I have to moderate closer" thread. These stories are current events and they are relevant, but splitting the discussion works better.

Okey dokey.

• Locked thread