Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

monkeytek posted:

I hope he did not experience a belt malfunction in his wank pod like the german citizen. Am worried.

MOMA is a jet-setting belt model now. He doesn't have time for us anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Krycek posted:

I don't understand why you all are ripping on Sandi's acting. She's a fantastic, highly skilled actress with grace and passion, it's the poor directing that makes her look bad. Even Natalie Portman looks bad when working with a bad director like George Lucas. Ipso facto, Sandi's skills are on par with Natalie Portman's.

I know. Watching her work, for a moment I truly believed that she really was tied to a table being tickled by a large masked weirdo. Now that's acting.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

I'm the citizens who don't see anything wrong with them prototyping gameplay 7 years into development.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

G0RF posted:

At this point, frustrations with all of CIG’s stupid, unforced marketing errors has turned her into the preferred heat sink. Even the latest Paywallgate thing got pinned on her, though Chris was the man with the plan. So maybe the little potshots are how Citizenry takes it out. Unfairly credited, unfairly maligned, reaping the profits but paying the price for a fiction of her relevance.

The king has bad advisers.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Virtual Captain: I just want to say that you are doing the Lord's work in the Star Citizen recap thread.

Sometimes life gets busy and I lost track of things and it's nice to know I can always get the crucial parts over there.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
/StarCitizen: Roadmap Update

Everything is coming together!

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

The king has bad advisers.

:sandance: Chris Roberts did nothing wrong.:sandance:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i love you

(but i love everything)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Of all the things to ding Sandi about, that teeth would ever get a mention is just so out of left field. I’ve watched so many CIG videos, but it just never registered. It’s the flip side of citizens talking about “dat rear end” or whatever — just so awkward and irrelevant. Montoya makes cringey jokes. It does get a laugh from me sometimes, sheerly for how wince-including it is.

At this point, frustrations with all of CIG’s stupid, unforced marketing errors has turned her into the preferred heat sink. Even the latest Paywallgate thing got pinned on her, though Chris was the man with the plan. So maybe the little potshots are how Citizenry takes it out. Unfairly credited, unfairly maligned, reaping the profits but paying the price for a fiction of her relevance.

https://twitter.com/ThePerceptionM/status/1039311737328041984

Yay pretentious movie!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sadly I have spent a couple minutes every few weeks trying to find out when this dumpster fire of movie hits the Lifetime channel.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

big nipples big life posted:

I'm the citizens who don't see anything wrong with them prototyping gameplay 7 years into development.

I hope it's the YouTube interface for that video reporter ship that was sold years ago.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo:

Citcon
Aug 31, 2018

by R. Guyovich
just flippin a switch

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
Hey, don't forget that even if they get OCS in the upcoming 3.3, it'll be a tier-zero implementation of OCS. But don't worry folks, the real OCS will come later, but will address all the framerate issues. Star Citizen will run on a laptop with 8 GB of ram at 60 fps in 4K. Promised.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

One branch will be an empty husk with few of the promises made, if any, a jury-rigged pile of code that does nothing.

The other will be the same but also lacking OCS

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I want the version with the farming module and ship. I'm really excited to get farming in deep space. I think that milking cows in zero g, effectively making them space whales, will be awesome. And the milk will shoot out of the udders but only go so far until it stops because it's not on the ground.

I plan to do intricate zero g space milk art, and I'm going to be sad if this edition doesn't allow that. I've been waiting years for it!!!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Krycek posted:

I don't understand why you all are ripping on Sandi's acting. She's a fantastic, highly skilled actress with grace and passion, it's the poor directing that makes her look bad. Even Natalie Portman looks bad when working with a bad director like George Lucas. Ipso facto, Sandi's skills are on par with Natalie Portman's.

sandi creeps me out. im very sensitive always been. i have a knack for reading the tiniest facial expressions and body language. it never failed me. she creeps me out.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is going to be good.

:munch:

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Is they have a test group not using OCS, it must be because OCS is so awesome they want to show people how bad the game is without it, right? Right?! I'm interrobanging here, people!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

We now have our answer to the question asked after last Friday’s RTV.

G0RF posted:

Quick thread poll:

CitizenCon is a month away, with Evocati for 3.3 even nearer. The question on everyone’s minds is, “What will the final version of 3.3 include?”

Friday’s Reverse the Verse, ponderous and confused as it was, didn’t exactly seem like a confidence builder. Much of the earlier part of the year saw 3.3 built up as the big one, the one that changes everything, the one that will let Star Citizen finally start becoming Star Citizen. (Yes, 3.0 was supposed to be that, too once but let’s not gloat on that...) Chris talked up 3.3 repeatedly, Erin hyped it in his BoredGamer interview from March, Lando has done his share, too. Yet now as 3.3: approaches, the signaling has been a little hesitant. And it didn’t just start Friday with the first time debut of the never before mentioned “client side object container streaming.”

Revisit the late June appearance of Chris Roberts on Reverse the Verse. While much attention was paid to Roberts punting on the Squadron roadmap, his act of self-absolution, and Lando’s bizarre smirking camera cheats, less attention was paid to the discussions of 3.3.

Revisit this one from Chris. And this one from Lando, when talking about 3.3 and priorities:

“Tough decisions (may) have to be made. There’s probably a couple of those in the future.”

It kinda makes you wonder if they were already concerned several months ago.

Without OCS, 3.3 is probably better described as 3.2+. Some more ships, weapons, minor improvements to existing tech. But it seems like Hurston would be out, its 4 moons would be out, Lorville would be out.

We were told Friday server side OCS remains a challenge for another day. The three guests joining Lando had typewritten notes. They spoke in muted voices, occasionally letting some sunshine in (“their internal tests have been amazing! But...”) but at no moment was there anything committal, anything definitive.

So what to make of it all? Is the gutting of 3.3 a foregone conclusion? Was RTV meant to prepare backers for upcoming Evocati/Roadmap reveals of a downbeat sort? Was the decision to paywall CitizenCon meant not just to squeeze backers for more cash, but also limit the fallout and mockeries of the general gaming community on Twitch to a 3.3 that underwhelmed?

Or is CIG just playing it safe for a change, even with Hurston, Moons, Lorville and the rest racing towards release in a matter of weeks?

What say you, thread, about what 3.3 will include and not?

If the version without OCS is basically 3.2+ — a more stable build without Hurston and other bodies but maybe with FOIP and stuff — then Chris isn’t just building a universe anymore. He’s building a multiverse. It really begs the question whether they’ll settle on a single version of 3.3 for CitCon, or whether they’ll keep two branches alive so they have one they can market. That’s far too pragmatic a plan for Chris to come up with but I can see what a guy like Papy would want it.

Very interesting.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Funny news #2

Store Citizer MMO-tech is no longer on the roadmap :ohdear:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Store Citizer: now with Schrödinger's MMO-networking tech development

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

exhilarating! ! ! !

this twitter and marketing poo poo is sooo far away from the original pitch. lets compare this to a tv show...i loved deep space nine ok. dont know what you think about it but well the universe is all about me so deep space nine is cool. imagine if there was not a single episode of ds9. just ALL the marketing around! how ridiculous would that be??

“TODAY we will talk to a writer who will do an episode about a shapeshifter who will fall in love with a female bajoran resistance fighter. it will be HEARTBREAKING.“

“you can buy the whole season IN ADVANCE. we promise it will be the best show you ever watched. you will never want to watch anything else!“

this is ridiculous beyond believe. and this is also why some niche crowd (goons+believers) enjoy this poo poo :D

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What is OCS again?

Non-meme answers appreciated, thanks.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

But seriously - imagine looking at a game 200 million and 7 years in and getting videos about prototyping base mechanics that were promised 7 years ago and thinking that's totally on the level and not at all a sign that everything is completely hosed

The mental gymnastics people will do to defend something they're obsessed with believing to be true is fascinating

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

Only Cash Sales.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

CiG: OCS is done, as promised. So much progress, buy an Idris!

Avocado: WTH is this poo poo, the OCS version crashes all the time. Don't release this.

CiG: Sorry guys, the community has asked us not to release the OCS. :shrug:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

Object Container Streaming, aka “don't load the inside of the space station until the player enters the station in question”, aka map zoning.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

object container streaming.

another buzzword. will make the game run smooth like butter.
the trick is that no other developer ever thought about this before.

Spooder-Mun
Jun 18, 2004

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

Object Container Streaming is some magic piece of space code that will make the game run smoother and more seamlessly, even/especially if large numbers of players are around. Even if it was a thing that existed it's a gameplay improvement and not something you can put a price tag on, so it's on the back of the back burner.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spooder-Mun posted:

Object Container Streaming is some magic piece of space code that will make the game run smoother and more seamlessly, even/especially if large numbers of players are around. Even if it was a thing that existed it's a gameplay improvement and not something you can put a price tag on, so it's on the back of the back burner.

exactly!
youre right in that you cant “sell“ it. but it serves as the carrot that keeps the donkey moving / spending.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

Broken.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

"Object container streaming". This involves updating the game engine to be multithread-aware so they can asynchronously load/discard game resources without stalling everything, I think. Right now the server stalls real bad while it loads in the vaunted autism chariots.

As a game developer I would phrase this as "making the disasterous discovery that the game engine I chose is fundamentally unsuitable for my game and now, with tears streaming down my face, I must rewrite the whole loving thing or accept total failure".

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

You can say that about a lot of the features they're working on. "OCS" is a fundamental feature of any MMORPG engine. Same with whatever they call their network bandwidth / interest management feature

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

iospace posted:

What is OCS again?

Currently Chris Roberts’ “universe” of “hundreds of Star Systems” is limited to 3 moons, 1 planetoid, and a gas giant you can’t interact with in any way.

3.3 is supposed to see the addition of Hurston and its moons. Yet Hurston is much larger than anything else previously released and includes their first city (Lorville). OCS is magic tech to facilitate this scale expansion (from 25% of their first star system to over 50%.)

Up until last Friday, “Object Container Streaming” was described as a single piece of magic tech. But Friday saw its bifurcation into Client side OCS and Server side OCS. The former is nearing completion but the latter may still be far away, and the full magic tech benefits will not be enjoyed until both are in place and yet more magic tech (server meshing) makes it all work perfectly. Imagine seeing 1000 player space ship battles taking place over a city teeming with NPC life, every one living distinct lives. Now imagine 1000 planets like that.

Imagine!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Sweet. Jesus patch, with and without Jesus.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Spatial posted:

You can say that about a lot of the features they're working on. "OCS" is a fundamental feature of any MMORPG engine. Same with whatever they call their network bandwidth / interest management feature

It's funny how many very basic foundation features for an MMO they dangle in front of backers as excuses on why it's taking so long to produce anything

I suppose choosing your engine based on how nice your jpegs will look and not how your game will manage to function will do that

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Please, oh please, make one of them the control group and don't tell them who has OCS and who doesn't

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Drunk Theory posted:

Sweet. Jesus patch, with and without Jesus.

Well, if it's split into client and server side OCS... I wouldn't be surprised if they're seeing if client side will even improve a thing.

[RON HOWARD VOICE] It won't.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

space-X-chicken posted:

sandi creeps me out. im very sensitive always been. i have a knack for reading the tiniest facial expressions and body language. it never failed me. she creeps me out.

I agree with this and I have the same read of her. I try not to overdo the making fun of her with reference to physical features - she's enough of a ghoul through her behavior alone. But Sandi strikes me as a very hungry alien who's spent her whole life eating humans alive, and now she's got some kind of disguise on and she's been ordered NOT to eat us, and she's having a lot of trouble controlling the impulse. The tiny hand movements, the darting, dead eyes, the hungry look, how she looks through people as well as at them, the very rapid subconscious changing of facial expressions as if she's rapid-cycling emotions - I can't pin it down to just one thing. I can't imagine being in the same room with her. It has to be uncomfortable as all gently caress. The pic of Gillian Anderson trapped next to her is a good example of how I think I'd feel - Gillian's facial expression screams "help me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

iospace posted:

Well, if it's split into client and server side OCS... I wouldn't be surprised if they're seeing if client side will even improve a thing.

[RON HOWARD VOICE] It won't.

Doesn't the game actually run well if you put it into an offline mode? Doesn't seem like client side ocs would be that significant if that is the case.