Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope luigi's mansion 3 is closer to the first game in having a huge explorable mansion with a ton of weird poo poo hidden around it cause luigi's mansion 2 sounded very not like what i wanted from a luigi's mansion sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Phantasium posted:

I want a 3DS Player like how I have a GameBoy Player.

Bring back Super GameBoy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish there was a gameboy emulator that supported sgb features. i haven't found one that does, at least

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm guessing that everyone is defending this:

Nintendo gonna nintendo :laugh:

You're still gonna have your saves on whatever console you're using, aren't you? It's not like it's going to delete your files locally, I'm not sure I understand why that matters unless your switch is also wired to explode when your subscription expires.
Also, I don't know that Xbone is the one you want to hold up as a gold standard of online service.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's really weird about Plastic Love because I fell into an 80's k-hole around Thanksgiving of last year and listened to it on and off since then

It started with someone recommending this song (can't remember if it was in a chat or forum)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLjNTTCVat0

Then I got 80's fever all of a sudden and started looking up DJs who do 80's remixes of modern songs
Tronicbox on Youtube

And then music "inspired" by 80's anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdDRL1ralAY

And then 80's anime songs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py19HHCLdR4

Which ended up with 80's Japanese idol music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bNITQR4Uso

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yoshi's Crafted World looks loving adorable btw

and game freak's new game could maybe be like Dark Cloud or maybe that's just the hope I project onto all games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

I won’t have people talking about me in the past tense! - Squall Leonhart, rip in piss

squall was a lovely character

:unsmigghh:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i hope luigi's mansion 3 is closer to the first game in having a huge explorable mansion with a ton of weird poo poo hidden around it cause luigi's mansion 2 sounded very not like what i wanted from a luigi's mansion sequel

The trailer showed a shot of a huge towering mansion so I'm guessing it's gonna be like the first game except the mansion is super huge.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also daemon x machina looks cool, and there's still the new fire emblem, and bayonetta 3

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
2019 is gonna be a real good year for nintendo first and second party games

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Harrow posted:

That said, some jobs/classes can be more fun than others in that level range. Like if you've ever played an MMO before, maybe don't pick Lancer, because christ is that a boring class to play before you get Dragoon.

The benefit to high level drg is that it's effectively never going to change much. The most fun early game is Pugilist, and Monk is the best dps ever so go PUG instead.
re: filler quests, make sure to touch every aetheryte you see and you've cleared up 80% of the problem with filler quests. FFXIV is an excellent jrpg that happens to be an MMO too, just make sure to play on Excalibur because a bad server will mean you'll wish it was a single player game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm also vaguely interested in starlink if it ends up being a better star fox game than the actual one nintendo made for wii u

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Liver Disaster posted:

The benefit to high level drg is that it's effectively never going to change much.

DRG has been pretty heavily overhauled each expansion. The current class is basically unrecognizable compared to 2.x and it's only sorta similar to 3.x

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

You're still gonna have your saves on whatever console you're using, aren't you? It's not like it's going to delete your files locally, I'm not sure I understand why that matters unless your switch is also wired to explode when your subscription expires.
Also, I don't know that Xbone is the one you want to hold up as a gold standard of online service.

Yea you still have your save locally. It's just really funny(lovely) that they delete your cloud saves instantly once your payment period is over and you don't renew. apparently nintendo is now saying they can't guarantee how long they will keep your save once you stop paying. :shrug:

So you are paying 20 dollars a year for p2p multiplayer.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I do prefer dynamic characters to static ones.

His relationship with Rinoa is 100% abusive toxic poo poo though. Its exactly the kind of example you DON'T want to set for teenagers.

I have no problem with the ellipses as it is, I'm used to that kinda poo poo in anime.

But stuff like Irvine going like "Hey Squall, Rinoa is gonna die!" and Squall is like "lol she's dumb"

That's... not good.

Yeah their relationship is legitimately awful and it's one of the few bad things about the game.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I would like to know more about this toxic Squall x Rinoa business

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Squall kicks rear end in Record Keeper at least

an actual dog posted:

it's pretty good but they do a weird thing where they split things into a missions in such a way to make it longer and that kinda sucks

thats usually what puts me off starting it tbh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember playing Luigi's Mansion to completion and thinking "well that sure was a game."

Then I played more Rogue Leader because that was an amazeballs launch title.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I love Luigi's Mansion and generally any game that lets me search all the furniture in a room.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

McDragon posted:

thats usually what puts me off starting it tbh

I don't regret getting it and the mission thing does have some positives but yea there's a nagging sense that the game could be way better.

I'm pretty sure they're not gonna pull that in 3. I think they were scared that the game was going to be too short and they've gotten more clever about lengthening games since. Like Samus Returns stretched a 2D Metroid game to like 10-15 hours and while there's a bunch of pros and cons for that vs the shorter ones that game is still really good in its own way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

Hm nope it's the best JRPG on the PS2 happy to help

Hmmmmmm

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

it is though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I want a new No One Lives Forever.

If the rights are tied up in some bullshit, just use Modesty Blaise instead.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to know more about this toxic Squall x Rinoa business

I haven't played the game in forever so I may be wrong but there's a real sudden shift in disc 3 where squall falls in love with Riona after she's been taken over by ulticima, even though up until that point he's just been a belligerent dick. It's a very odd shift that happens like 2/3 of the way through the story and it isn't really built up at all iirc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I really don't get the hate for 1-50 FFXIV. I've leveled half a dozen characters through it and it's better than any other MMOs leveling experience.
yeah it has some problems for sure, but I think the base game is legitimately one of the better FFs on it's own. completely archaic compared to the expansions though, and especially what they've been doing lately in the Stormblood story

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rinoa might be my favorite FF character so when Squall came around on her I was more "loving finally" than examining the relationship for toxicity

e: also I think it's pretty reasonable to have a sudden realization that you were kinda being a dick to someone who just almost died, though I don't remember if that was actually the turning point cause it's been a while

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i wish there was a gameboy emulator that supported sgb features. i haven't found one that does, at least

is there a rom for the super game boy and if there is can you load gb roms into it

exquisite tea posted:

I remember playing Luigi's Mansion to completion and thinking "well that sure was a game."

Then I played more Rogue Leader because that was an amazeballs launch title.

rogue leader is good but you can't vacuum a ceiling fan to make it rain gold

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

From what I remember, Squall allows Rinoa the autonomy and space to make her own decisions while being there for her when she's in over her head. He verbally projects a gruff uncaring exterior but in his actual actions he respects her a lot.

The "toxicity" interpretation comes from the other party members berating him for not being overly controlling.

What I'm saying is that Squall would have gotten the Good Witcher 3 Ending

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Squall is also surprisingly thoughtful and a good, charismatic leader. He's a better character than he gets credit for, I think. The only real issue I have is how quickly his relationship with Rinoa changes in the time it takes to switch from disc 2 to 3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

is there a rom for the super game boy and if there is can you load gb roms into it

rogue leader is good but you can't vacuum a ceiling fan to make it rain gold
there is but it's a snes rom and the sgb provides snes functionality to go games, so you'd have to have two emulators that can work together. most anything supports are sgb borders

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Eyes on Me is a really good song

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RIP 2pac

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

homeless snail posted:

there is but it's a snes rom and the sgb provides snes functionality to go games, so you'd have to have two emulators that can work together. most anything supports are sgb borders

What are you trying to replicate

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Eyes on Me is a really good song

It fuckin owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcpnFFoE0qI

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Squall knew he couldn't handle Quistis.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

What are you trying to replicate
idk ask colonel. not too many games actually took full advantage of the snes functionality

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I find FFVIII's magic junction system really fascinating from a game design/balance perspective, because I think it's a really neat idea, but probably impossible to balance right in execution.

The core tension is around whether or not it's worth casting spells. Casting your good spells means you're probably lowering the stock that you have junctioned, which means you're weakening yourself for short-term gain (the effects of the spell). This is not an inherently bad idea. In fact, it sounds kind of cool. You have to think before you cast a spell, weigh whether the spell's effects are worth lowering your stats until you can replenish your stock. But the balance, if it was done right, would be extremely fragile. In FFVIII, it's rarely worth it to cast spells. You have enough damage from regular attacks with sky-high strength, and healing through items or the Recover ability. The only spell that's worth really using is Aura, which lets you spam limit breaks.

If spells were made stronger, so that they're legitimately tempting to actually cast, it'd be really easy to overshoot, and I think the game would end up in a significantly worse spot in that case. Players might feel like they're supposed to use their strongest spells as often as possible (because they're so powerful), leading them to get caught in a cycle of using up their spell stock and then having to go spend time gathering more. That would get pretty tedious, I bet.

In the end I think the game is still pretty fun, but the core spell junctioning system feels like it just could never possibly be balanced correctly.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
More RPGs should include sequences where the main character has a vision of the past where his dad tries to bang his girlfriends mom.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Luigi’s Mansion was fun. Dark Moon didn’t grab me but I should give it another shot. I hope the new one is fun and cool. In conclusion, Luigi’s is a mansion of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I remember being blown away, at a time when I had only played games in extreme fantasy or sci-fi settings, that this was an RPG setting with high schoolers and cars and a lounge singer as a major character.

I never got into Persona at the time and I regret it I think

• Locked thread