Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
If companion issues got you down, these are two "must have in a load list" mods:

More Smarter Companions - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20613

Amazing Follower Tweaks - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26976

After using them both, I will never start another game without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The best thing to do with companions is to use the conquest mod to make a base in the middle of the ocean and send them all there

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This playthrough I decided to follow Professor Goodfeels when you set him to maintenance mode. Good lord that boy can book. Fortunately he stops cold when something aggros him.

The super mutant salvage yard south of Boston nearly finished him with the landmines in the road, but we made it to the back door of Hester's.

Sadly he isn't actually present inside.

Also sadly, rushing to see where he might have gone is an excellent way to get frozen by a fire protectron and exploded by a legendary sentry bot shooting several gas tanks.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm not worried about griefing in 76 because I don't care about it and they've gone in depth about punishing griefers but I'm pretty sure Bethesda is blind to the lengths people will go to exploit systems in a mp game. You still get xp for building things- what's to stop me from building a section of fence over and over until I'm level 105?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm not worried about griefing in 76 because I don't care about it and they've gone in depth about punishing griefers but I'm pretty sure Bethesda is blind to the lengths people will go to exploit systems in a mp game. You still get xp for building things- what's to stop me from building a section of fence over and over until I'm level 105?

I feel in this particular case the crime is also the punishment.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Donovan Trip posted:

fence xp is nothing after level 5? Seems like an easy fix

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

fence xp is nothing after level 5? Seems like an easy fix

They still haven't patched it in fo4. You can level yourself pretty high by finding the best xp/crafting goods trade-off very easily.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Donovan Trip posted:

They still haven't patched it in fo4. You can level yourself pretty high by finding the best xp/crafting goods trade-off very easily.

Except balance isn't as important in a single player game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm all about 76 I just think there's going to be a looooooot of exploits and that might actually hurt the game. Bethesda have always had blinders in that particular area and their solutions haven't been good. See: removing levitation from TES completely

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Why would they care if you're insane enough to hit max level by building fences over and over? It's a "survival" game set in Fallout, they intend for you to build tons of poo poo.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
It's not really about that example, that's just one you can plainly see two months from release. :shrug:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I think that eventually 76 will be a fine game, but like a lot of premier multiplayer AAA games released as of late, it will be a mega dumpster fire on initial release

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Donovan Trip posted:

I'm all about 76 I just think there's going to be a looooooot of exploits and that might actually hurt the game. Bethesda have always had blinders in that particular area and their solutions haven't been good. See: removing levitation from TES completely

well stop being such a worrywart that is what a beta is for! :3

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
:ohdear:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
In non-Fallout but still Bethesda related news, T. Howard managed to con his way into an Apple event showing off their latest phone so he could plug TES: Blades. God only knows how much that cost but it goes to show how committed they are to branching out and pushing their brand.

The presentation was just as uninteresting as you imagine but something in an article afterwards caught my eye:

quote:

The Elder Scrolls: Blades is coming to iOS and Android this fall. It will be free and is currently available for pre-order on Bethesda's website. For more on what Apple had to share, check out our full coverage below.
How the gently caress do you preorder a game for your phone that is free? What does that even entail? What planet am I living on?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Oh yea we're hosed

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How the gently caress do you preorder a game for your phone that is free? What does that even entail? What planet am I living on?

It's just signing up to get an email the moment the game becomes available for download. It's called pre-ordering on the Play Store.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress: Currently making my way through The Nucleus, and man, those Assaultrons are no joke. I've run in to 2 Legendary ones before I was able to reach the mainframe, and they could both 1 shot me. Oh, and they're invisible too, so by the time I can lock on with VATS, I'm already missing a limb. I tried to set a trap, by dropping a Pulse mine, then a bottlecap mine, and luring one in.
The 'tron ran over both mines without slowing, and one-shotted me as I blasted away at it in futility.
I ended up having to drop the difficulty down in order to get past them.

Anywho, now I'm inside the memory computer and playing a tower defence game, wooo.

Hated that part. Hated Hated Hated. Never again. Ever.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16157

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

It is a shame that everyone hated that part (due to it being sorta bad and the settlement UI just being godawful) because I was happy to see them trying new things mechanically in a quest and using the settlement system in new ways. That Settlement Ambush Kit should've been a type of quest where you quickly set up turrets and traps in a few minutes with a handful of prefabs and then hold off a wave or two of enemies while an NPC hacks or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mosnar posted:

Hated that part. Hated Hated Hated. Never again. Ever.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16157

Honestly the worst part is how they don't turn off survival during the computer simulation. First time I did that when I exited the program I was nearly dead due to pulsing damage from red food/water meters which the game doesn't bother telling you about

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

Honestly the worst part is how they don't turn off survival during the computer simulation. First time I did that when I exited the program I was nearly dead due to pulsing damage from red food/water meters which the game doesn't bother telling you about

I would've liked it if the survival timers slow down in the settlements. I'm in a safe spot, I wanna wander around and take my time building, not have to keep an eye on my meters and worry about that crap.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Because you get a chance at disease anytime you sleep for less than eight hours (so really any time you wanna save real quick before or after building poo poo or modding weapons or what have you) every survival run turns into an extremely sickly vault dweller power napping several times a day, chugging a gallon of water and eating four gourds and a dog steak and setting out again.

(survival still rules though)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Always get a little freaked out when I post snarky comments on Chris Avellone's fallout-related tweets and suddenly get like four or five notifications

Thankfully they're all from other tweets, but there's always that moment of doubt...

Anywho...

Never tried survival mode because I do not like having to monitor a dozen extra things besides health, weapon condition, and AP

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wolfsheim posted:

Because you get a chance at disease anytime you sleep for less than eight hours (so really any time you wanna save real quick before or after building poo poo or modding weapons or what have you) every survival run turns into an extremely sickly vault dweller power napping several times a day, chugging a gallon of water and eating four gourds and a dog steak and setting out again.

(survival still rules though)

I always use the mod "sleep or save" since forcing you to sleep is stupid game design that is solely designed to force their disease system on you more regularly. Still have to track down a bed to save, just don't have to sleep in it.

Wrr posted:

I would've liked it if the survival timers slow down in the settlements. I'm in a safe spot, I wanna wander around and take my time building, not have to keep an eye on my meters and worry about that crap.

Horizon's method is a nice middle ground, it just gives you free food every x in game hours you spend in the settlement. It's not enough to maintain equilibrium, but at least you aren't burning resources. Not that standard survival has any shortage of food/water.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

I think that eventually 76 will be a fine game, but like a lot of premier multiplayer AAA games released as of late, it will be a mega dumpster fire on initial release

Simple answer? Enjoy the riot and don't be a tryhard who believes that winning at video games makes you a winner in life.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I like survival for the fact that it makes the game hard enough for you to actually need to use all the drugs and OP stuff the game is constantly handing you while avoiding the massive damage sponges they normally use as a substitute for difficulty. What I don't like is that the game expects you to follow a normal circadian rhythm but buries that information in an external tutorial and makes time go by super fast. To minimize risk of disease you have to sleep 8 hours every 48 minutes of real time.

E: also the game gives you no indication of being tired until you've already waited too long

rodbeard fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 13, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bethesda can't release a single player game that isn't riddled with bugs and exploits and they've never done a real MP game let alone one on the scale of 76.

There will be griefing.

Griefing is arguably the best part of MP games, though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 13, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We need full communism now, so that gamers will feel empowered in their own real lives and not need to complain that there aren't enough ways to immiserate their fellow player. Gamers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your ganks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any indication they're cleaning up or changing the inventory system some way for 76?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Any indication they're cleaning up or changing the inventory system some way for 76?

I'm honestly assuming more things will be different then they will be the same; in much the same way that ESO wasn't just, 'Skyrim but online' I seriously doubt much of what we take for granted is going to be all that similar in 76.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rinkles posted:

No, and you also probably won't be able to fix it with mods, because it's ~online~ now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mendrian posted:

I'm honestly assuming more things will be different then they will be the same; in much the same way that ESO wasn't just, 'Skyrim but online' I seriously doubt much of what we take for granted is going to be all that similar in 76.

ESO was a whole different game build from the ground up to be a MMO, this is appearing to be more Fallout 4 Multiplayer mod.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

socialsecurity posted:

ESO was a whole different game build from the ground up to be a MMO, this is appearing to be more Fallout 4 Multiplayer mod.

idk form the previews the perks system looks COMPLETELY different so they might sneak in other improvements here and there though I do realize it's bethesda we're talking about

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Super Rad posted:

idk form the previews the perks system looks COMPLETELY different so they might sneak in other improvements here and there though I do realize it's bethesda we're talking about

Yeah, but they haven't rrrreally changed their inventory UI since Oblivion.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Megazver posted:

Yeah, but they haven't rrrreally changed their inventory UI since Oblivion.
The inventory actually exists outside the incredibly slow menu subsystem now, there have been some improvements

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I hope every menu interaction in the game involves a really slow unskippable animation, bothering entering and leaving.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nice art

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Nice art

A Mothman Museum location would be so cool and I'm afraid it'll just be full of generic ghouls or something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

chitoryu12 posted:

A Mothman Museum location would be so cool and I'm afraid it'll just be full of generic ghouls or something.

It's a real thing in WV. The Mothman festival is this weekend and Bethesda has a booth there and they have the poster there. If it weren't on the opposite end of the state I'd go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought the Mothman was a good guy