Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

did I mention that the buttons on the right aren't really buttons but instead like a half section of the dpad that you rock back and forth to hit (and which also stab you)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
The worst controller is the Sega Activator

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

Umm actually thats VR dude

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I am old enough and manly enough to now admit that I think a lot of games are poo poo simply because my skill at gaming is poo poo now compared to my younger years.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

signalnoise posted:

the worst controller is the Power Glove

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's so bad.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The Menacer had better games for it than the Super Scope.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Hey You Pikachu microphone is apparently surprisingly good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bajaj posted:

I am old enough and manly enough to now admit that I think a lot of games are poo poo simply because my skill at gaming is poo poo now compared to my younger years.

I still consistently score high at Titanfall 2 so my reflexes aren't totally shot, but my ability to string combos in fighting games has taken a real dive.

Fortunately, Car Combat is barely even a genre anymore so I don't have to come to terms with how bad at it I might be from old age...but when I was 13 I was loving legendary level good at Twisted Metal 2 and it was awesome.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The new Tomb Raider is out today and I'm kind of hyped for it. :) :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

The new Tomb Raider is out today and I'm kind of hyped for it. :) :)

I hope you're aware that it's a different developer this time. More specifically it's the Squeenix's dedicated franchise assassination studio.

Some of the animations I've seen from it rival Mass Effect Andromeda in...quality.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have no problem with the difficulty of games and I question these men who say their "videogame skills" have degraded to such a point that they struggle with "modern gaming" because of "age"

Did your drat fingers rot off, did your mind get senile? What the hell

Like okay if you're 70+ but I hear this bullshit from men in their 30's. What the hell have you done to your body and mind where "modern games" become too difficult for you to do

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've gotten way better at games over the years for the most part.

Might be that we're too ashamed to pick easy mode.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zzulu posted:

I have no problem with the difficulty of games and I question these men who say their "videogame skills" have degraded to such a point that they struggle with "modern gaming" because of "age"

Like okay if you're 70+ but I hear this bullshit from men in their 30's. What the hell have you done to your body and mind where "modern games" become too difficult for you to do

I don't have the patience to get gud these days

Like as a kid getting one or two games a year as presents, sure, I'll play them endlessly. As an adult with disposable income, nah, I've got way more options than practising video games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zzulu posted:

In some cases I think it's more about time commitment and patience than some sort of meaningful decay in reaction time. As you get older, you have less time to play games, and you might be less patient with needing to practice and get good at a game before you get to "the real stuff," I guess.

I'm 32 and I'm probably better at video games than I've ever been, possibly because I'm a little more patient with myself when I fail at stuff these days and it helps me improve. But I also probably spend more of my free time playing games than most other guys my age. If I spent less time playing games I might feel like taking the time to improve at the games I play isn't worth it if it means I could use that time to instead play a wider variety of games.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Not my opinion, but I have a friend who swears that GTA Online is the best thing that Rockstar has done and he loves the service model. I asked him what he thinks about having to pay or grind out the equivalent of 50 dollars for a new vehicle and he doesn't mind it.

I think he is out of his mind.

partofme
Jan 8, 2010
I don't care for any of the AssCreed games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

Not my opinion, but I have a friend who swears that GTA Online is the best thing that Rockstar has done and he loves the service model. I asked him what he thinks about having to pay or grind out the equivalent of 50 dollars for a new vehicle and he doesn't mind it.

I think he is out of his mind.

Does he play many other games?

One reason why games like FIFA can get away with having "grind forever or pay up" models is because a lot of people who play them play them as their Main Game. The same is true for a lot of gacha mobile games. If you only really play one game most of the time, and you don't buy new games very often, it's a lot easier to justify spending additional money on that game. That sort of "lifestyle game" thing is why so many lovely gacha phone RPGs can rake in piles of cash just by releasing JPEGs of anime girls that you gamble for.

I suspect GTA Online is doing a similar thing: its long-term players likely play mostly GTA Online, so spending more money on it isn't a huge deal.

(Games like this can also prey on our loss aversion--if you've spent like $1000 on GTA Online, it's going to be harder to quit because you keep thinking about that sunk cost, even just subconsciously.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Vakal posted:

I don't know about best controller but I can definitely tell you the worst one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's basically MMOs without the first M.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's basically MMOs without the first M.

MMOs definitely paved the way, but things like GTA Online and FIFA go even further (at least in the West--a lot of Eastern MMOs are even crazier on the monetization front).

The real thing that baffles me is the popularity of pay-to-win phone games, but at this point I've read enough articles about people who literally only play one game and so are fine shoveling money into it to know that I'm just never going to really understand.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Harrow posted:

MMOs definitely paved the way, but things like GTA Online and FIFA go even further (at least in the West--a lot of Eastern MMOs are even crazier on the monetization front).

The real thing that baffles me is the popularity of pay-to-win phone games, but at this point I've read enough articles about people who literally only play one game and so are fine shoveling money into it to know that I'm just never going to really understand.

Games can send addictive personalities into overdrive, leading to so-called "whales" (term borrowed from gambling, a polite word for gambling addict). Free-to-play profit models are driven by whales.

https://www.swrve.com/company/press/swrve-finds-015-of-mobile-gamers-contribute-50-of-all-in-game-revenue

Consumers have only pushed back against this as it made its way into AAA gaming and became obnoxious to the point that developers have walled most of their not-free-to-play game off behind gambling systems.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Multiple build orders and counters are too much hassle to memorize now that I have an actual life

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ahahahahahahaha

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

They're designed to be extremely addicting, using many of the same design principles as slot machines. Some people are just extremely vulnerable to them.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Microtransactions really are just gambling at this point. Belgium is just the tip of the iceberg of backlash that is coming for it.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Jack Trades posted:

I hope you're aware that it's a different developer this time. More specifically it's the Squeenix's dedicated franchise assassination studio.

Some of the animations I've seen from it rival Mass Effect Andromeda in...quality.

Well, crap. I’ll watch some more YouTubes of it before I buy it. Hard to believe the animations are worse than andromeda’s though. Those were probably the worst I’ve ever seen from a triple A game.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Even if they remove the gambling aspect people will still fork over a shitload of money on microtransaction in sports games. I mean sports culture is treating people like a commodity so its just kind of a natural fit for fans to fork over money for a player and the buying and selling of people in game is a huge part of why people even play. Sports fans in general have a lot more levers you can pull to get to their wallet. Its real lovely but i dont see it ever really changing for sports which sucks because they are the best games.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Video game purchases need to be regulated and, preferably, banned.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

partofme posted:

I don't care for any of the AssCreed games.

counterpoint: black flag.

counter-counterpoint: it's not really an asscreed game.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Id rather gaming was legal to be honest and that gambling was spiced up like video games. poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Holy poo poo!

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Think about it this way. That was the less gay option they had.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

DogonCrook posted:

Even if they remove the gambling aspect people will still fork over a shitload of money on microtransaction in sports games. I mean sports culture is treating people like a commodity so its just kind of a natural fit for fans to fork over money for a player and the buying and selling of people in game is a huge part of why people even play. Sports fans in general have a lot more levers you can pull to get to their wallet. Its real lovely but i dont see it ever really changing for sports which sucks because they are the best games.

Real life gambling on sports is a huge thing that's is heavily advertised and probably popular so it's no surprise that unregulated digital gambling is big too.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Oblivion was cool and good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jack2142 posted:

This opinion is wrong

Because it’s in the past tense :cool:

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

Ok, gamer Chad.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I don't have the patience to get gud these days

Like as a kid getting one or two games a year as presents, sure, I'll play them endlessly. As an adult with disposable income, nah, I've got way more options than practising video games.

Harrow posted:

In some cases I think it's more about time commitment and patience than some sort of meaningful decay in reaction time. As you get older, you have less time to play games, and you might be less patient with needing to practice and get good at a game before you get to "the real stuff," I guess.

I'm 32 and I'm probably better at video games than I've ever been, possibly because I'm a little more patient with myself when I fail at stuff these days and it helps me improve. But I also probably spend more of my free time playing games than most other guys my age. If I spent less time playing games I might feel like taking the time to improve at the games I play isn't worth it if it means I could use that time to instead play a wider variety of games.
In my situation, it's exactly the "patience" part. I can't beat a certain part? I move on to another game. I have enough hobbies, a job, exercise, meeting people, and like 400 games on my Steam account where I just don't feel it matters to keep trying on one game. I've tried to play games I have beaten before in my childhood and I am left wondering how the heck I could have made it even halfway through them. It's true that persistence and patience is a huge factor, and I just don't have that anymore for most games since my options are varied. At this point I'd rather play a few rounds of NBA Jam or drive around aimlessly in GTA5 than attempt story modes in most games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Bethesda has never developed a good game ever.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

I found Red Dead Redemption to be pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Bethesda has never developed a good game ever.

I'm sorry sir but this is the thread for unpopular opinions, not factual statements