Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

I think there was a quote by Dean Lister that said he will not promote someone to Brown Belt if they act like a dickhead. When you look at people like Ryan, AJ and Danis it totally makes sense why. Those attitudes are just horrible for Jiu Jitsu as a whole.

It's kinda hard to blame them. They're young guys in the age of social media and Conor McGregor. I totally agree with Dean's statement though. Our gym is the same way, they want to see how you are as a person, not just your skills on the mat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Gordon seems insufferable but I think I get the frustration he and Garry are feeling.

I wish I could say I didn't care about bjj drama but it's so entertaining

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We have so much talent passing through our class. Today Samuel Braga and Talita Alencar were training with us. I didn't even recognize them and thought they were any other visitor until John posted them on instagram.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't pay attention to ages but how old are Godron & the other guy? Seems like they're early 20s.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's something about elite level martial artists having internet arguments that fascinates me

Gordon Ryan is an insane troll

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spb posted:

Gordon Ryan is an insane troll

Has anyone been to one of his seminars? Does he give off the same impression that he gives off with that drama on IG? Maybe Yuns can answer this question best. Half the time I wonder if all this poo poo is just an act to garner attention. Same goes with AJ.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Gordon is a very quiet hardworking and respectful guy in person and has been since he was a skinny teen tagging along with Garry to the academy. He is very confident but he has always been respectful to his seniors including hobbyist blackbelts like me. Jon Calestine and Eddie are also quiet hardworking guys. Those guys are introverts. Garry is friendly and goofy but super super hardworking just like his public persona. He's much more the extrovert. The social media stuff is normally just to promote matches and not to be taken seriously but this current outburst is atypical and not for match promotion.

Well AJ is trolling all the time on media but his actual personality hews much closer to his online persona than the other guys.

Also the Workshop BJJ Camp is coming up October 11-14. I will be there. I hope to host a NYC grapple goon get together then. Not sure if I can get mat space for us but you can grab a meal or drink with me and hear a bunch of insane stories I can't post online.

https://www.workshopbjj.com/nyc-camp-2018/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 15, 2018

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

It's funny how many drama queens there are in this sport. I wonder if there's more in this one as opposed to any other sport.

edit:https://www.instagram.com/p/BnpUzPJF9EY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Michael Transactions fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 15, 2018

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Fwiw Gordon Ryan has done two seminars in my town and people really liked them and said he was great, personally.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Where do you guys get your BJJ news? I subscribe to flograppling and also watch the reddit, not sure if there's any other places.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

spb posted:

Where do you guys get your BJJ news? I subscribe to flograppling and also watch the reddit, not sure if there's any other places.

I'd honestly just stick to instructionals, all the rest is useless fluff and cringy drama 90% of the time online. Although I do like checking the bjj scout digests on youtube now. Reddit is a trash pit when it comes to bjj news and info. I don't have an account there but reading some opinions online there on the subject of BJJ hurts at times.

If you want to know about seminars you're better off trying to find everyone that's a name as an athlete or a coach in bjj and figure out their instagram as that's the most reliable way of finding out if they are doing a seminar in your area.

Yuns posted:

Workshop

I'm seriously thinking of dropping in for the workshop, the shoulder is getting better. is there a limit on workshop goers or do I still have a few weeks to plan if I can make it?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 15, 2018

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spb posted:

Rowdy Ringsports › Grappling: Hug-Based Fighting Arts

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I "rolled" with AJ during line drills when he stopped in to my old school a while back. Pretty quiet, more or less indistinguishable from any other black belt from my perspective. He had a blue belt with him (younger brother, maybe?) who absolutely wrecked me with his spider guard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
ughhh, first time back after three weeks and a flu loving sucked. I felt like I was a training dummy that people could just throw around.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

When you're in mount, do you hook your legs behind the other person? I have trouble maintaining mount and I think its because I don't do this

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

spb posted:

When you're in mount, do you hook your legs behind the other person? I have trouble maintaining mount and I think its because I don't do this

Yes, it does help maintain control usually.

A more extreme version of this is called the grapevine. This is where the person on top mount uses their legs to straighten out those of their opponents. This is a very stable control position.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Using your hooks can be useful for a heavy low mount position but isn't necessary if you switch to a high mount (knees in their armpits), and can actually be counterproductive if your goal is to get them to turn on their side and expose their back. More than any One Simple Trick To Hold Mount Forever, though, it's important to develop a sensitivity for proactively shifting your weight in ways that will neutralize whatever escape your partner is *currently* attempting, and that just comes with practice. Which escape(s) is giving you the most trouble? Trap and roll, knee-elbow, bench-pressing the hips?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've never really been sold on the grapevine or wrapping the opponents legs, unless you're intentionally trying to stall a match or the guy on bottom has a low pain tolerance. I've found that aggressively moving to a high mount is the best policy through plucking their frame to be a better option to stay on top of mount, but then again I only move to mount as a means to transition to the back. I really only attack past the guard in side control or back.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Has anyone bought the Danaher Back system DVD? Im almost more interested in that one then the leglocks for what Im working on now. I want to see lots of transitions to getting to the back.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Has anyone bought the Danaher Back system DVD? Im almost more interested in that one then the leglocks for what Im working on now. I want to see lots of transitions to getting to the back.

My instructor has been watching it an passing the info down to the class.

Almost all of what he's shown us has been details to make back control stronger. Only a few transitions to the back. No defense at all, as of yet.

The DVD has a chapter list you can find online that shows a rough breakdown. Check that out first.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Our professor Pedro Sauer has taught us to be careful grapevining from mount (esp in competitions) because a person on the bottom with strong legs can just violently straighten their grapevined leg and blow out the inside of your grapevine knee

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Our professor Pedro Sauer has taught us to be careful grapevining from mount (esp in competitions) because a person on the bottom with strong legs can just violently straighten their grapevined leg and blow out the inside of your grapevine knee

Yeah, grapevining is a move where the guy on bottom can kinda bring his legs straight up and then back down with the heels back down to his buttocks and brings his legs back to relative safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP3P-IzKDHs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I find it easier to recover guard when someone grapevines me than when they get a feet-on-hips mount, and I find it more difficult to get any kind of progress toward a sub when I grapevine someone.

The only time I'd grapevine might be in MMA, because it could be possible to grapevine and land some gnarly elbows. And I don't do much MMA beyond helping buddies train, so I'm not grapevineing.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

It's also important to distinguish between grapevines (toes turned out and applying pressure laterally, often simultaneously on both sides) and hooks (toe pointed toward the ceiling, hips dropping down heavy on the same side as the hooking foot, generally just on one side). You can still get rolled while grapevining, but it's much tougher to do if you're hooking the correct leg when someone starts to bridge.

Grapevines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6bzXuhcX0

Hooks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4hnSP6sZ4&t=269s

The hip pressure is hard to see in this one, but it's very real and very frustrating from someone who knows what they're doing.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Two thirds of the set is about handfighting your way through resistance and finishing. There are some cool entries but not heaps.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Thanks guys.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two thirds of the set is about handfighting your way through resistance and finishing. There are some cool entries but not heaps.

This is where I find most of my classes concentrating on too. We work on kimura grips andand hand transitioning from the back to get the choke, but I would love to see some more back entries and how to get to the back especially if they are from Danaher.

Did learn a cool back entry that was from XGuard on Monday, but yeah I want to see more.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Edited out. Need less BJJ drama not more.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 19, 2018

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Yuns posted:

Edited out. Need less BJJ drama not more.

yo stop doing this and teasing - I need the drama

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

old.flv posted:

yo stop doing this and teasing - I need the drama
My friend Gordinho (Start/Evolve) just posted a warning to the Mendes Bros (AOJ). Apparently they have an affiliated gi company that is offering sponsorships to Gordinhos competitors but then telling them after the offer that to get the sponsorship they need to join the Mendes Bros.

quote:

🇺🇸 the lack of ethics, lack of competence to make their own champions and more importantly, the lack of MANHOOD of this Mendes brothers is getting in a different level. Is it known that they explicitly solicit talented and champions young men and women to leave their teams and join them. It is notorious. But they are now using an even more deplorable way: they offer a “gi sponsorship” and then when the athlete asks details, their “business partner” comes and says that the sponsorship is only applicable if they train with the Mendes brothers. They are not even Man enough to do the whole thing in their name! And they are doing that with kids that are pretty much being raised and son’s and daughters by their Professors. Professors that taught them not only techniques to be champions but taught them character. Here is the deal: this kind of behavior from the place I come from smells like blood... this is my first ans last warning: stay away from other people’s students. And if you want to say or do something about it, my place is known and it will be a pleasure to have you come by. But I doubt it because Rats will be Rats...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

popcorn.gif

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The one sport in the word where you have perfect legal freedom to fight your enemies and they still do Twitter beef

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I tapped someone with a figure four in class tonight. A good day.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wow, didn't he know to roll over

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The best post. The best day.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The one sport in the word where you have perfect legal freedom to fight your enemies and they still do Twitter beef

Says something about the human condition doesn't it?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, everyone I have ever known who does BJJ including every dude at my gym is super chill and I figure its because we all have a constant source of channeling our aggression but man

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ8eTb6xr_k

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, everyone I have ever known who does BJJ including every dude at my gym is super chill and I figure its because we all have a constant source of channeling our aggression but man

Nobody cares about the sport and they're trying to manufacture dramae to get eyeballs

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

spb posted:

Nobody cares about the sport and they're trying to manufacture dramae to get eyeballs

well yeah but the only people who get motivated to watch something because of dumb drama like that is hyper aggressive faux alpha douchebags and they are also the people no school wants to have to train. Like, do you really want to roll with the guy who gets into page long fights about honor on instagram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

We're talking about it now, aren't we? No such thing as bad publicity, etc.