Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

if doc's trip to orgy castle wasn't real, was his screen meeting in the beginning still real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

if doc's trip to orgy castle wasn't real, was his screen meeting in the beginning still real?

Real as in there's an actual secret society behind the OSI? No. Real as in they got that room together to make the VR orgy castle seem more credulous and had some people in silhouette perform, maybe. It's possible that the meeting was also VR and we're seeing this from Rusty's perspective where he'd never see the switch to VR (which is obviously the point)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I don't see why the society can't also be real and it's basically a glorified daycare for the ultra powerful; the OSI just let's them believe they're the ones in control.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MadJackal posted:

This was a really hosed up episode that didn't fit the tone of the show at all.

What this episode did to Dr Mrs The Monarch went too far and the it was all a dream ending didn't make up for the plot advancement.

This was a parody a decade past it's relevancy and wildly distasteful at best.

It's important to remember that his subconscious filled in what characters were present, and he's always been very attracted to Dr Mrs The Monarch, so of course she's there as the big prize for giving up the teleporter. It doesn't say anything at all about her character, she wasn't actually there; that was all Rusty's sick delusions, which have been around since Season 1

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

honestly did not like the stinger twist about it being a simulator, felt cheap and lazy, especially for a series like this

Dude that is the worst case of intentional amnesia I've ever seen, they had an entire season where a memory wiper was the consistent solution to most of the problems

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

QuarkJets posted:

Dude that is the worst case of intentional amnesia I've ever seen, they had an entire season where a memory wiper was the consistent solution to most of the problems

wasn't a fan of that back then either, I've mentioned before that Season 4 is my least favorite season and that was one of the many reasons why

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MizPiz posted:

I don't see why the society can't also be real and it's basically a glorified daycare for the ultra powerful; the OSI just let's them believe they're the ones in control.

Yeah, this was my take as well! All those people "in the Illuminati"? Those are just OTHER breakthrough guys who get a regular monthly VR orgy from the OSI, and this is why Brock is about as excited about this as a guy at a laundromat.

Remember what Brock called it? After hesitating for a long uncomfortable moment?

"Group therapy."

It's all just an op the OSI is running to keep these megalomaniacal whackadoodles from loving with real people. The inventions matter less than what the people who created them would actually decide to do with them if they retained control. Remember, Rusty ignores moral boundaries routinely and so do many of the show's other superscientists. If my hypothesis is true, I reckon that makes the actually pretty cunning and more what I would expect from foxy ol' Gathers, not to mention this show.

But there's totally some sort of bananigans going on. General Treister, when he was worried about his health insurance getting cancelled, said "Don't tell Washington!! Don't tell SECRET PRESIDENT!!!" which implies there is indeed some sort of shadowy cabal floating around that has some degree of control over the OSI.

Unless that was a red herring or thing they've decided to retcon, which is also totally possible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

wasn't a fan of that back then either, I've mentioned before that Season 4 is my least favorite season and that was one of the many reasons why

well then don't be acting like "this part was all a simulation" is beneath the show somehow, that is a prime Venture Bros plot device and is no worse than constant memory wipes, having a bunch of clone slugs, and countless other deus ex machina moments. Virtual reality combined with a huge dick-sucking machine is OSI to a tee

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

QuarkJets posted:

Virtual reality combined with a huge dick-sucking machine is OSI to a tee

"~The Nozzle~ is calibrating..."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MadJackal posted:

What this episode did to Dr Mrs The Monarch went too far and the it was all a dream ending didn't make up for the plot advancement.

Yeah I agree on the Dr. Mrs. The Monarch part. It's unnerving to get that hypersexualized with a character even if it is a fantasy sequence.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah I agree on the Dr. Mrs. The Monarch part. It's unnerving to get that hypersexualized with a character even if it is a fantasy sequence.

When I thought it was real I was actually thinking this was all part of some extremely ornate plan Sheila has cooked up to make the Monarch a Level 10 by taking down the Illuminati, and she had gone undercover in order to be able to pull Rusty out in exchange for use of, or potentially designs for, the teleporter. Why? Presumably because the I in the Pyramid was a threat to her beloved Guild somehow - tons of ways that might be the case. I even wondered if the Guild had originally been created to oppose them. There was a time when a Venture was in the Guild, as we learned in ORB: it once had some kind of noble ideal as having been founded "to protect and serve humanity's best".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
One of the silhouettes was the Mexican professor from episode one, it was already VR at that point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

anime was right posted:

wow that was the fastest i ever went from liking to hating an episode

Same but opposite. Until the ending I was enjoying the Monarch's story but really disliked the Doc story and had a really uneasy feeling that the show was moving in the wrong direction for the first time in its history. The ending immediately course-corrected that and I loved everything that happened in retrospect.

...except the whole Shelia business. It felt exploitative of their most rounded female character and points to the fact they they still have a ways to go when it comes to writing women. But that's been an ongoing issue with her this season

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Put me in the basket of relief when it ended up being PR. I didn't like the notion of yet another cabal of strangers, and the orgy was super overkill.

It makes significantly more sense that they knocked Rusty out right away and put him in the VR thing. I'm ok with Dr. Mrs. The Monarch being there for that reason too, given Rusty's been trying to shag her since forever so that tracks. It reminded me of when they went into Venture's head and there was the harem of women Rusty thinks he could have slept with.

Only thing I'm bummed about is the lack of the Venture Bros. Really feels like The Monarch is the main character at the moment, which is fine, but kinda wish they had a bit more Hank/Dean in the mix too.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I wonder if the iTunes version will be uncensored? They've stopped censoring the cussing (I'm guessing after season 6 aired, since the audio for season 6 is uncensored but the captions still have the bleeps), so it's anyone's guess if they will do the same with the visuals.

Cheesus posted:

Well, we have Rusty and Malcolm. :v:
What is the point of deliberately avoid referring to Dean and Hank as the Venture Brothers if I'm still going to get answers like that?

I did feel a great deal of disappointment when Doc's plot took a downward plunge when Sheila was offered as his reward for joining, so I'm in the end I'm happy that it was all VR. I do feel some disappointment at the loss of the plot hinted at beforehand though, because as reluctant as I am about a new hidden society controlling everything in the shadow, I was very much there for Sheila being aware of it and taking steps to bring it down, including trying to get Doc as a spy on the inside or something, which is what I believed the "meet me in 20 minutes" would be about.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 15, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To me it's unclear whether the VR is a totally made up fantasy for one person or just a virtual space that a bunch of people enter. To me it didn't seem like Sheila was strictly playing the role of Rusty's fantasy - she may have actually entered in an attempt to infiltrate the simulation.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Holy poo poo, have none of you seen Eyes Wide Shut?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Not me. Tom Cruise's in it, I believe?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Just to be clear, all the people complaining the orgy and Dr. MTM's role were offputting know the whole sequence was lifted from Eyes Wide Shut right?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yes. Then entire part that people are upset about is Eyes Wide Shut.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's your point though?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

None of that was original writing. It was Kubricks dumb idea that was aped for parody. Of course doc thinks it's sexy and intriguing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So that makes it even more fitting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They don't have anyone forcing their hand on their choice of parody or characters to use in that parody.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lord Frisk posted:

I have, it's frankly a little prudish by modern standards.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also so glad they let Mark Hamill voice characters that let him revisit his whole range as the Joker from Batman:TAS. Presto was a great riff on creepy/disturbing Joker and the speech on Unicorn in Captivity was reminescent of his scenery chewing speech on torturing Robin into giving up his secrets on the bat and becoming a pseudo-lobotomized Joker Jr.

https://youtu.be/Etst4t3ES8Y

I remember in some behind-the-scenes thing Hamill said he would practice developing an entire emotional range of Joker laughs while sitting in traffic in LA. Other drivers were, uh, unnerved. I hope Presto returns to face the bat in the VB universe...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't wait to see this episode uncensored haha

You masturbate enough

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I had a totally different read on Dr. Mrs. The Monarch in this episode prior to the ending. When I first saw her working the orgy, I literally thought she was working the orgy: this is an all-powerful, non-Guild-aligned group, and the GCI would want a spy there. Sheila would be the perfect deep cover agent for the Guild. And that fits with her character, because not only is she a sexually liberated woman in an open marriage with her husband who has personally witnessed her having sex with many other people, but she has actually gone to bed with the enemy in order to complete her mission at least once before ("Mid-Life Chrysalis"), although she did apparently stop short of sleeping with Doc. Furthermore, she loves the GCI, and her actions from the end of Season 5 on suggest that she would do anything for it, presumably including things we all know she's already done for lesser reasons.

So yeah, I could totally see her at that orgy party specifically for work-related reasons.

Now, where it did lose me was the "Lady or the Tiger" bit. It seemed to me that they were offering him a permanent concubine, and going along with that was way out-of-character for Sheila. Her views on sex are might be more liberal and compartmentalized than most people's, but she's definitely not the type to consent to being "given" to another man as payment for anything. That bit was fixed when it was made clear that the entire orgy was a VR version of Eyes Wide Shut.

And FWIW, I thought that group that talked to Rusty was real, and everything that followed (the orgy) wasn't. But, having read these comments, I think it makes more sense that everything after lights-out (when Brock and Hunter closed the door and the room went dark for a second or two) was a simulation, because that's the only time where they could knock him out and set him up in the VR device seamlessly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

You masturbate enough

Says you, old man!

I love Presto, hope they bring him back. What a great villain. Hamill's a treasure. I really don't get the complaints about how they treated DMTM in this episode. The reveal that it was all Rusty;s fantasy makes total sense and doesn't disrespect the character at all. I thought it was a good twist, I didn't see it coming.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Now, where it did lose me was the "Lady or the Tiger" bit. It seemed to me that they were offering him a permanent concubine, and going along with that was way out-of-character for Sheila. Her views on sex are might be more liberal and compartmentalized than most people's, but she's definitely not the type to consent to being "given" to another man as payment for anything. That bit was fixed when it was made clear that the entire orgy was a VR version of Eyes Wide Shut.

I highly doubt the situation was "You get to gently caress this woman forever, or this guy fucks you forever." It was more along the lines of "Have sex with this woman and join us, or this guy will gently caress you and we'll probably kill you after." I assume they would just get new women every time (with the assumption that it was a real thing, instead of being a pretend VR fantasy).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I highly doubt the situation was "You get to gently caress this woman forever, or this guy fucks you forever." It was more along the lines of "Have sex with this woman and join us, or this guy will gently caress you and we'll probably kill you after." I assume they would just get new women every time (with the assumption that it was a real thing, instead of being a pretend VR fantasy).

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm just relating my initial impression. I stopped trying to analyze it when I saw the stinger and realized that it was all a VR simulation that didn't actually happen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole sequence makes a whole lotta sense considering both it fits in both with Rusty being a horny nerd who's been expecting all his life that he'll finally make the one great revolutionary invention that gives him membership with the elite, and an amoral anonymous Illuminati would fit perfectly with his life experiences (the original Illuminati group specifically namechecking conspiracy theory fodder and basically being the Council of Thirteen) and being able to finally devote his life to fulfilling his fantasies as well as his need to be special (the unicorn in captivity and all)... and ALSO with the OSI being just as bad as the Guild in many ways, amoral fascist enforcers and lapdogs for the status quo, using miraculous inventions as toys for their sick games and nothing else.

I was rooting for Presto Change-o, he actually seemed to be pretty good at stuff. The Stairmaster mighta been pushing it, but it looks like he might survive a knife to the head. Also, Driver X is a pretty clear reference.

Oh, also: The Monarch's proposed plan for heisting Venture is very much like Copycat's actual plan.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 15, 2018

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I was disappointed when it turned out Driver X wasn't Hank :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I do hope Monarch straight up hunts down and murders Copycat. That's *twice* he's tried to gently caress him over and ruin his life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do hope Monarch straight up hunts down and murders Copycat. That's *twice* he's tried to gently caress him over and ruin his life.

Surely the guild looks down setting up other guild members as a decoy for another arching. They went nuts over Blue Morpho killing people. Granted, he wasn't a guild member, but the concept is the same. Dues paying guild members are getting screwed over.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Alan_Shore posted:

I can't wait to see this episode uncensored haha

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't imagine Copycat is anything but a PP member.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Honestly I thought Drive X was gonna be Moltov Cocktail considering the last time she did this undercover, she did almost the exact same thing. Also seconding Copycat, I hope he's dead. That's twice he's treated Monarch like poo poo. Yea I"m petty :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I find it fitting that Driver X is set up as an unknown quality but is in fact someone far more close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Surely the guild looks down setting up other guild members as a decoy for another arching. They went nuts over Blue Morpho killing people. Granted, he wasn't a guild member, but the concept is the same. Dues paying guild members are getting screwed over.

Remember that when Monstroso double-crossed the Monarch, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch brought up that the guild actually encourages double-crosses. I do think this is different though since this isn't so much an arching as contract work for the guild itself.