Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
FF7 was great and Chrono Trigger is the actual really overrated square game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what was that game at e3 that was factorio but in 3d

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what was that game at e3 that was factorio but in 3d
https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, XII, and XIV are the only good Final Fantasy games.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone in Wildstar server chat just went on a massive 20 minute rant about how if he wanted to he could buy the Wildstar IP from NCsoft but they won't sell it. He also claimed to have worked on the "large hadron super calider".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

scientists are famously rich + have lots of time for mmos

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Y’all go see Mandy holy gently caress that was an incredible movie

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Shortest Path posted:

Tactics, Crystal Chronicles, XII, and XIV are the only good Final Fantasy games.

12 is close to the worst FF game and MMOs are trash

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Don't forget the fact that Irving didn't forget, he just didn't mention it because he didn't think it was important

This actually makes his inability to shoot her make sense, but also calls into question why he didn't tell Squall this in the tower.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Was FFVIII like the recent Final Fantasy games where it was a mess behind the scenes?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It was a mess in front of the scenes

a beautiful mess, but a mess

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

spiderman will definitely be a greatest hits in a year and a half, once the holiday season is over its sales will drop off and greatest hits is a good way to rejuvenate them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

12 is close to the worst FF game

:chloe:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish ff8 remained My Soldier Academia like the first disc instead of turning into another final fantasy.

E: I think I like this dumb trails of cold steel game so much because it is child soldier military school that a lot of JRPGs are too scared to double down on

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

When I think of Isabelle, I definitely think "boobs the size of her giant head"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

12 is close to the worst FF game
Not when 2, 8, and 13 exist.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

13 is good, actually.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

3 is the only final fantasy in any form I never want to play again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

Not when 2, 8, and 13 exist.

3 is worse than 2&8 and the only thing stopping 12 from being the worst, 13 is good

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
If you think 13 is better than 12 than lol, just lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I absolutely do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The combat in 13 is infinitely better than in 12

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the combat in 13 is incredibly bad, mashy bullshit, that the game inflicts upon you far too often

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clicker games have better combat than FF12

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

The combat in 13 is infinitely better than in 12

Not even close.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Half-life 2 just got a 2gb steam update... at 1am on a Saturday morning.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Not even close.

I see you're a fan of combat that consists of doing literally doing nothing 95% of the time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Andrast posted:

I see you're a fan of combat that consists of doing literally doing nothing 95% of the time

yeah that basically describes verranicus' posting style

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Steve Yun posted:

I’m pretty sure I had every other song nailed In terms of what real 80s song they were knocking off, but I’m drawing a blank on this one. Any ideas? Wham!?

Most people seem to figure it's Fortunati's Into the Night since it was popular in Japan at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm3EbjSSsbQ

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

that's also a very good description of ff13 combat though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Maybe if you're poo poo at it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

there's nothing to be good at

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

If you weren't constantly shifting paradigms to take advantage of what the enemy was doing you were one of the people complaining that the combat sucked because every encounter took 15 minutes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hell you should have two similar attack paradigms to shift between even when you don't need to because you get a free full ATB charge out of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you're never reacting to anything though because you're constantly fighting the same encounters, so its just by rote mashing the same sequence of buttons every single battle. I don't think I was bad at it, I always got the highest rankings, but I ended up just avoiding fighting as much as possible because its somehow the most boring battle system I'd ever seen while also simultaneously being too involved for how high the encounter rate is

at least in ff12 on the rare occasion you press a button there's some thought behind it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

you're constantly fighting the same encounters, so its just by rote mashing the same sequence of buttons every single battle

Yeah it's a jrpg

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
To me the thing with FF8 is that it's half an great game and half of a godawful one mashed together. The Deling City assassination attempt and the Battle of the Gardens are really strong cinematic sequences, Triple Triad is fantastic and the combat system feels pretty expansive with plenty of variety but at the same time Squall suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks, Rinoa sorta sucks, your other party members get no development because it's all about the main couple, the story goes off the rails so hard in disc 3 and the combat system takes a lot of figuring out and is really annoying until you do.

It's been a long time since I played FF12 but I had a lot of fun with the combat. You can just leave it to play itself but if you do you're doing yourself a disservice.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

Yeah it's a jrpg
yeah, so why is it pretending to be dmc

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

homeless snail posted:

yeah, so why is it pretending to be dmc

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FF13's combat felt more engaging to me because playing musical chairs with your party was enjoyable and you had to put at least a little bit of thought into your team setup, even if everyone did ultimately end up getting the same stuff.

• Locked thread