Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

space is big, and ships are very fast if they're not in hyper speed.

Space IS big and not enough movies make a big deal of how fuckoff big it is. But I don't think that changes anything? We've seen combat in star wars and the way it works is capital ships or flagships end up moving in either stationary or predictable paths, so it wouldn't be hard to ram them with a spaceship at hyperdrive if that was a valid maneuver / tactic. And even if its suicidal, some of the stormtroopers would be made to do it or the rebels would get desperate enough to martyr themselves. Or, you know, droids.

Uh, aren't ships faster in hyper speed? But I think your point is even when not in hyper speed they're still fast, which is true, but they still move in predictable paths generally, especially the larger craft like destroyers or the death star.

Turtlicious posted:

moving faster then the speed of light moves you faster than 186,282 miles per second. If you just turned the hyper speed on for a fraction of a second (which you couldn't, because that's not how it works) you'd be so far away you wouldn't be able to intercept them for what might be ever. If they did 2 jumps, forward a bunch and then back, they'd be in front of a warships full battery of cannons. Plus the ship would be moving so fast it might risk smashing into them when they pop out of hyper space. It's also super inaccurate, you don't get to control where you pop out of hyperspace. You pop out, see how far off from where you guessed you were, then use sub light engines to get back. The books have all sorts of stories about empire dudes who spent entire battles micro jumping, and then getting blown up because they kept repositioning instead of fighting.

That's an argument for using smaller, more nible craft though. At that point you'd just build a fleet of TIE fighters with hyperdrives installed and you'd win every war. Anything larger would be a massive liability.

Turtlicious posted:

Finally it's a huge waste of resources, and the commander is a sadist. Part of the reason he is chasing them is because he wants to chase them and have them slowly die. Or else he'd have been much more aggressive, and wouldn't have wasted so much time.

Warping a few ships is a huge waste of resources when its the entire enemy fleet you can destroy? What else are resources for?? They're the goddamn empire dude.

"he wanted to have them slowly die" is a pretty lovely defense. Well, he's like a Bond villain... yeaaah that's lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The commander was a sadistic rear end in a top hat and didn't want to do that. He could have, probably.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basebf555 posted:

Space is huge, you really think you can sandwich a fleet with a handful of big ships? It just doesn't seem feasible to me.

You absolutely can. Every split you make forces them to divert to an alternate, sub-optimal path which effectively slows them down relative to the pursuing ships.

If you divide into like 8 groups, you could really gently caress them pretty fast.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Do you get this spun up about how the trench run in the original film is dumber than poo poo too? :v:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

The commander was a sadistic rear end in a top hat and didn't want to do that. He could have, probably.

The commander was a joke. Which is a big problem in the ST, all the villains lack any threat specifically to our heroes and to anyone in general. Hux is a Saturday morning cartoon clown that gets disrespected and made a fool by everyone at every turn, making so many obvious tactical errors and mistakes that the Scooby-Doo could easily escape him. Kylo Ren has gotten his rear end kicked by Rey every time they meet with sabers or the Force and flipflops between petulant child and tryhard Hot Topic shopper. Phasma has been promptly captured, betrayed the First Order, thrown down a trash chute, survived only to have a failed Stormtrooper easily defeat her, and gotten thrown to maybe her death. Snoke is dead.

The farcical villains are nearly Spaceballs extras, which not only worsens the serious tone issues, but deflates any sense of tension. How can there be any sense of danger or menace with a rouge's gallery of bozos?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LeJackal posted:

The farcical villains are nearly Spaceballs extras, which not only worsens the serious tone issues, but deflates any sense of tension. How can there be any sense of danger or menace with a rouge's gallery of bozos?

What do you expect? They put this man in charge of a Star Destroyer!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ya if you want to pick holes in movies can we remember that the original trilogy was loving full of them, like the fact that Luke probably only spends a day or two training with Yoda, or that Luke was "hidden" under his own original name, or that Leia seemingly doesn't grieve at all for her home planet and everyone she knew being blown up, or the fact that Vader can somehow "sense" Luke and Leia but only after it's revealed that they're his kids but also he already knows that Luke's his son so why not Leia. Oh and while we're on that, why didn't Vader just grab Luke with the force when he jumps? Or how about the totally contrived nature of the entire climax of A New Hope - why didn't the death star just blow up that planet instead of spending like half an hour orbiting it or, hell, just jump out of Lightspeed on the other side, etc etc etc.

If you want to rubbish TLJ for having big plot holes then go ahead, but don't hold that up as a unique reason why it's a bad movie as though ALL of the star wars movies aren't full of bullshit and inconsistency. People write novels' worth of fanfiction/theories to justify and explain the various plot holes in the original saga but get all mad at some poo poo in TLJ not, on the surface, seeming to add up.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Gaunab posted:

There's a star wars character named kit fisto. Always makes me laugh.
Nothing will ever top this

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

jabby posted:

As sci-fi chases go, I like the opening season of Battlestar Galactica. Where the Cylons just show up relentlessly every half hour, and their biggest problem is that no-one can sleep through a hyperspace jump.

That episode, 33, is one of the finest hours of television ever produced. It's a shame that series went off the rails a bit towards the end because it started so sublime.

Peeny Cheez posted:

Nothing will ever top this

Elan Sleazebaggano begs to differ.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bike tory posted:

Ya if you want to pick holes in movies can we remember that the original trilogy was loving full of them, like the fact that Luke probably only spends a day or two training with Yoda, or that Luke was "hidden" under his own original name

Luke Lars used nothing Yoda taught him to embrace his father and save the galaxy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Davros1 posted:

What do you expect? They put this man in charge of a Star Destroyer!

Why the gently caress was that guy so angry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

Why the gently caress was that guy so angry.

He was housemates with this guy, anyone would have been angry.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Memento posted:

Elan Sleazebaggano begs to differ.
Dude. Jizz. Performed by Jizz Wailers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

The commander was a joke. Which is a big problem in the ST, all the villains lack any threat specifically to our heroes and to anyone in general. Hux is a Saturday morning cartoon clown that gets disrespected and made a fool by everyone at every turn, making so many obvious tactical errors and mistakes that the Scooby-Doo could easily escape him.

I think he's funnier that way. He reminds me of people I know.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he's funnier that way. He reminds me of people I know.

The villain shouldn't be funny, though. He's supposed to be threatening.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LeJackal posted:

That's what the guns and other assortments war machines are for.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LeJackal posted:

In a different kind of movie, sure. There are plenty of villains who are written and played humorously.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

That's what the guns and other assortments war machines are for.

Those aren't scary when they are being controlled by a clown, though.

Where is the tension without the threat?

Schubalts posted:

In a different kind of movie, sure. There are plenty of villains who are written and played humorously.

In comedy films, sure, and maybe the Plinkett review is right; this was structured as a comedy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LeJackal posted:

Where is the tension without the threat?

In comedy films, sure, and maybe the Plinkett review is right; this was structured as a comedy.

Sorry the Nazi analogues in space aren't given the respect you think they deserve.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Memento posted:

He was housemates with this guy, anyone would have been angry.

Man I wish he'd lived long enough to be in a star war. :smith:

I was incredibly surprised that Captain Edward Hitler survived the entire film though, British TV actors don't have a great track record on that front. :v:

LeJackal posted:

America's military is both a) pretty scary and b) controlled by a clown, so I'm not sure that point holds water.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Memento posted:

That episode, 33, is one of the finest hours of television ever produced. It's a shame that series went off the rails a bit towards the end because it started so sublime.

I love that episode, and reading the wikipedia page about the stuff that got cut to make it less 'dark' irrationally irritates me.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Sorry the Nazi analogues in space aren't given the respect you think they deserve.

Well there's the problem, the script writers were so busy trying to say 'Nazi BAD and DUMM' that they failed to make villains suited to the purpose of creating drama and tension necessary for a heroic struggle and a satisfying narrative.

The Empire in the OT are obviously allusions to fascism and they are nakedly evil, they are also competent and legitimate threats to our protagonists which makes the escapes and conflict ultimately interesting.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

LeJackal posted:

Well there's the problem, the script writers were so busy trying to say 'Nazi BAD and DUMM' that they failed to make villains suited to the purpose of creating drama and tension necessary for a heroic struggle and a satisfying narrative.

The Empire in the OT are obviously allusions to fascism and they are nakedly evil, they are also competent and legitimate threats to our protagonists which makes the escapes and conflict ultimately interesting.

The new order are competent and legitimate threats, they hunt down and almost massacre the remnants of the rebels. Leia wanted to flee to avoid them regrouping to finish them off and Poe wanted to deliver a decisive strike that succeeded and ultimately cost them dearly.

Refusing to play into their self importance and decorum before blowing them up is great.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

The new order are competent and legitimate threats, they hunt down and almost massacre the remnants of the rebels.

Why did the Dreadnaught fire on the stationary, abandoned base instead of the fleet preparing to flee?
Why didn't the FO deploy a fighter screen immediately after arriving to protect their Dreadnought? (Especially considering their surface cannons apparently aren't effective versus snub fighters, a Resistance staple.)
Why weren't the Star Destroyers doing anything?
Why do they only use one tracker?
Why don't they pincer or flank with a fraction of their massive battle group?
Why weren't their fighters used to disable the feeling craft?
WHY IS THE FIRST ORDER SO STUPID?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLqLQvTbo-Y

Also their commanders are clowns or shrieking emo manchildren. They aren't threatening.

Edit: On reflection, I realize the problem now. TLJ is an example of fascist propaganda, where the enemy (The First Order) are at the same time too strong and too weak. Looking through that lens, it all makes sense now

MariusLecter posted:

Leia wanted to flee to avoid them regrouping to finish them off and Poe wanted to deliver a decisive strike that succeeded and ultimately cost them dearly.

Leia's decision would have led to the Dreadnought destroying the entire fleet at the beginning of the chase. Even if it hadn't, at the cost of a dozen fighters/bombers and their crew Poe eliminated approximately 210,000 officers, crew, and stormtroopers along with the vessel itself. As a tactical and strategic trade its hard to imagine a better outcome.

Poe did nothing wrong.

MariusLecter posted:

Refusing to play into their self importance and decorum before blowing them up is great.

Yeah, if you're making a madcap comedy I guess. Too bad that conflicts tonally, but its not like its a good movie.

LeJackal has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Sep 15, 2018

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok, but how about

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i don't know Predator ~lore~ very well but was there ever anything about Taking the "strongest" creatures DNA and using it to evolve themselves into Super Predators? Because if that's not the case it seems like kind of a dumb premise overall, especially for a remake nowadays.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

bike tory posted:

Anecdotally, everyone I've talked to about it enjoyed it. There's a very vocal minority (particularly on the internet) who think it's the worst movie ever for various lovely reasons and I think they tend to give the perception it was not well received though

Here's sort of a different take on TLJ for me: If people ask me what I think about it, I'll say I've trouble sitting through it, I found it tried too hard to be funny and I found it boring. But I notice there is a slight tone from people who loved it that sort of sounds like they're embarrassed for the people who didn't.

The closest thing I can think of is Ang Lee's Hulk and MAYBE in a few years there will be a similar turn around.

Specifically, when Lee's Hulk came out, it was polarizing and I remember being unhappy with that movie but everyone else I knew sort of geek shamed you into loving it. I'd know people who'd seen it multiple times in theaters and declared how great it was and if you didn't like it, it was a film that went over your head. Then cut to 7-8 years later and those same people had almost nothing good to say about that movie once the MCU started up proper.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So i don't know Predator ~lore~ very well but was there ever anything about Taking the "strongest" creatures DNA and using it to evolve themselves into Super Predators? Because if that's not the case it seems like kind of a dumb premise overall, especially for a remake nowadays.

I mean, they already have a pretty human-ish idea of sports hunting, doesn't the spoiler sound like something that we'd do if given the opportunity?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I don't want antlers and I don't want to be lumped in with people who identify as wolves and big cats, no

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

The villain shouldn't be funny, though.

Why not?

JediTalentAgent posted:

But I notice there is a slight tone from people who loved it that sort of sounds like they're embarrassed for the people who didn't.

I wouldn't worry. There are far fewer people who liked it (never mind loved it) than didn't like it, so you're in the clear majority if you didn't like it.

quote:

Specifically, when Lee's Hulk came out, it was polarizing and I remember being unhappy with that movie but everyone else I knew sort of geek shamed you into loving it. I'd know people who'd seen it multiple times in theaters and declared how great it was and if you didn't like it, it was a film that went over your head. Then cut to 7-8 years later and those same people had almost nothing good to say about that movie once the MCU started up proper.

See, that's very different from what I remember; people didn't like that movie because it wasn't a "conventional" comic book movie like Spider-Man or X-Men or Batman (usually, though not always: Hero Origin -> Main Villain from Comic's Origin -> Hero Beats Villain). The people who I find like it now are people who really hate the MCU movies. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Sep 15, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I like pretty much every Marvel movie but I also quite like Ang Lee's Hulk, I watched it after I'd seen quite a few MCU movies but I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it's a superhero movie at all, though, so the comparison is a little faulty. For the record: still haven't gotten around to watch Hulk with Edward Norton.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Edward Norton Hulk is fine. It's got one pretty good fight scene where Hulk fights Tim Roth. I don't really remember much else of it, though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hi, IIMM thread. You're goddamn killing me. Please somebody else watch "Sierra Burgess Is A Loser" on Netflix so instead of Star Wars we can discuss while it's a super cute Cyrano de Beregac adaptation for the modern age Sierra's behavior is still horrid AF. thanks

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

like legit I just watched and enjoyed the film but drat the catfishing is hosed up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also how Harry Potter treats the house-elves and goblins.

Harry Potter has literally dozens of sapient magic using species, from Sphinxes, to Goblins, to House Elves, to Centaurs.

Every single one is treated like poo poo.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
And JK Rowling is a racist and a TERF and should be burned and all her books banned for the trash they are.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The first Harry Potter movie is nearly three hours long and it is a testament to the popularity of Harry Potter in 2001 that millions of children sat though it anyway. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Simply Simon posted:

I like pretty much every Marvel movie but I also quite like Ang Lee's Hulk, I watched it after I'd seen quite a few MCU movies but I still enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it's a superhero movie at all, though, so the comparison is a little faulty. For the record: still haven't gotten around to watch Hulk with Edward Norton.

Liar, nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

Liar, nobody likes Hulk when he's Ang Lee.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first Harry Potter movie is nearly three hours long and it is a testament to the popularity of Harry Potter in 2001 that millions of children sat though it anyway. :v:

Pretty much the same thing happened with the books, no one thought kids had the patience for a full length novel.