Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iceclaw posted:

I was the best gay zoophiliac mayor of this dead village.

/thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

EightAce posted:

Some real treats planned for citizen con!! I'm excited

Chris is setting up the play areas where he and other people will be playing some missions together

Hmm this is good info! I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Roberts get down and dirty playing the game he's been an integral part of making and designing and coding for 7 years. I can't wait to see all the tricks he knows how to do as a developer!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmV6QeY7OI

No one tell lethality about this. I got hopes for this one.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

jaegerx posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpmV6QeY7OI

No one tell lethality about this. I got hopes for this one.

I cried.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

So i literally only watched for about 10 seconds and the first thing i notice is the body posture here;

Crossed arms
Arms in laps

General "defensive" forms when you feel unsure or under pressure. Normally i don't notice this but its just so noticeable how it looks they are hiding something.

Combined with the words Lando says it just reeks of something off.

Not that any of the citizen notice this poo poo i guess.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Average concurrent player counts for EA modules over the past two weeks:

Arena Commander: 2.2 (0.06 of which come from Squadron Battle)
Star Marine: 8.2 (7.5 of which come from Last Stand and the remaining 0.7 of which come from Elimination)
Murray Cup: 0.6

Total: 11.0

A total of 4627 distinct player accounts showed some leaderboard activity over the two-week period.

Unfortunately this doesn't count the PU, but insofar as the minigame modules go, I find it hilarious that the most played module of this nominally space-shooty-tradey-flyey game is Yet Another FPS. Based on these metrics I would advise CIG/RSI marketing to focus on more racing-related promotions.

Average concurrent player counts for the past week:

Arena Commander: 2.1
Star Marine: 6.1
Murray Cup: 0.6
Total: 8.8

The total number of unique accounts showing activity on each leaderboard were:

Arena Commander: 398
Star Marine: 1712
Murray Cup: 145
Any EA module: 2052

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tippis posted:

Object Container Streaming, aka “don't load the inside of the space station until the player enters the station in question”, aka map zoning.

"...or if someone looks in the window of the space station"

"...or if someone has a SPACE TELESCOPE on another planet, and can zoom in on the space station"

"...or if someone blows a hole in the space station"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

The discipline of quarterly releases is now forcing the discipline of quarterly goalpost shifting. But now we’re seeing goal-splitting — OCS is now two-stage, 3.3 is now two builds. The real innovations are in the expectation management.

Feels like they’ve laid the foundation to punt 3.3 proper out a quarter. And they’ve known they’d have to do it for some time. Chris surely plans to go very big with Squadron hype at CitCon. It’s the perfect time and both he and the Citizenry need a win.

Even if 3.3 doesn’t have the flight model changes Chris talked about (his skunkworks project to salvage combat from the mess they’d already made of it once before), I bet he puts some thrilling dogfighting moments in whatever Squadron reveals they bring. The vertical slice was a slo-mo travelogue with garbage state dogfighting. If there’s one thing Chris “Wing Commander” Roberts should’ve gotten right with the slice, it was space combat. He didn’t realize it when recording his proud as punch Director’s Commentary but he has to have figured it out by now. So he just might have to prioritize faking thrilling gameplay for a change. Time to “sell the narrative” of a good game!

While they indeed are totally trying to manage the expectations I would guess that that is not their main motivation: they are incompetent enough to a) be working on both server and client OCS and b) think it is a good idea.

Server-side OCS is just so idiotic that it has to be true. Those morons are trying to have servers that handle fully-dynamic spherical areas and clients as the first step of their mesh-server bullshit. Server too slow? Offload some load... into the cloud. Ahahahaha, the poor fucks. I've done (research) game servers with dynamic load shedding and it's a gigantic pain in the rear end, which is why nowadays games don't go for it but you can bet your rear end Cloud Imperium Games will try, and they -as usual- are doing it backwards. You first test your network with servers handling a fixed area/clients and see if it works, then you add your fancy OCS BS (and watch a billion unexpected concurrency/latency/networking issues appear).

"If OCS makes the clients faster and a server is a type of client then... why don't we have OCS in the servers too?"
-Chris Roberts.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Mr Fronts posted:

"...or if someone looks in the window of the space station"

"...or if someone has a SPACE TELESCOPE on another planet, and can zoom in on the space station"

"...or if someone blows a hole in the space station"

But what about the argon and each individual blood corpuscle?
The fidelity?
Roberts' vision is being destroyed by his minions

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lord Stimperor posted:

I was thinking something like this would happen. I'm looking forward to see on Reddit how people are concluding that they're in the 'No OCS group' seeing their game is bad.

It's probably based on how much they're in for so people will probably know. What I'm saying is, sc is *pay2ocs

*there is no ocs, only paying

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

I love submarine games so this is extremely my poo poo.

IronWolf VR looks pretty fidelicous and I'll probably pick it up soon if there's anything left over after picking up a second Idris :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4u7DDzFkQ

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

trucutru posted:

While they indeed are totally trying to manage the expectations I would guess that that is not their main motivation: they are incompetent enough to a) be working on both server and client OCS and b) think it is a good idea.

Server-side OCS is just so idiotic that it has to be true. Those morons are trying to have servers that handle fully-dynamic spherical areas and clients as the first step of their mesh-server bullshit. Server too slow? Offload some load... into the cloud. Ahahahaha, the poor fucks. I've done (research) game servers with dynamic load shedding and it's a gigantic pain in the rear end, which is why nowadays games don't go for it but you can bet your rear end Cloud Imperium Games will try, and they -as usual- are doing it backwards. You first test your network with servers handling a fixed area/clients and see if it works, then you add your fancy OCS BS (and watch a billion unexpected concurrency/latency/networking issues appear).

"If OCS makes the clients faster and a server is a type of client then... why don't we have OCS in the servers too?"
-Chris Roberts.

How many times do I have to tell you networking experts that The Cloud + Machine Learning + Faith = Breakthrough!

I swear, you guys can’t see the forest for the dreams sometimes!

https://twitter.com/TDemonrat/status/1040783631805931521
https://twitter.com/Wildarms_2/status/1040682307185664000

Gejnor posted:

So i literally only watched for about 10 seconds and the first thing i notice is the body posture here;

Crossed arms
Arms in laps

General "defensive" forms when you feel unsure or under pressure. Normally i don't notice this but its just so noticeable how it looks they are hiding something.

Combined with the words Lando says it just reeks of something off.

Not that any of the citizen notice this poo poo i guess.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1040692631641055232

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have been busy lately so I have not visited their reddit but I had some time right now and...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9frlh8/is_it_just_me_or_are_the_new_atvs_disappointing/

Ahahaha, if loving Lethality, out of all idiots, is already starting to figure it out (not that he will ever stop giving them money) then they are doomed.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I'm tired of all the disrespect and the lies and deception, and nothing makes me more angry. I'm still giving them money though and supporting them at CitCon :argh:

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ever think about what CIG could even be doing with all the pipelines they've been building for all these years?

The longest actual pipeline, in the actual world, by the way, is the Druzhba pipeline, which is 4,000km long. The decision to build it was made in December 1958, and the entire pipeline was in operation as of October 1964. That's just shy of six years to go from signing the paper saying you will build 2,500 miles of pipeline to having it done and carrying oil.

Meanwhile, the Star Citizen kickstarter went live on 12 October 2012, and as I write these words it is 14 September 2018 (local time). That's one month shy of taking SEVEN YEARS to go from telling people you have an almost-complete and really awesome demo of a game which you will release in 2 years, to actually having a small collection of lovely demos which you say might be released in two years.

When I started writing this post, that was going to be the setup for a joke about Star Citizen. I thought "I'll look up how long it took to build the biggest actual pipeline, and I'll use that as a lead-in for a clever joke about the infinite stacks and versions of pipelines that CIG claims to be constantly working on." But then I looked it up and the reality -- as usual -- was so stupid that there was no reason to make a joke.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
"I'm not afraid to put money into the project."
Be brave lethality. The bears need YOU.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guess he just picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 15, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

trucutru posted:

I have been busy lately so I have not visited their reddit but I had some time right now and...

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9frlh8/is_it_just_me_or_are_the_new_atvs_disappointing/

Ahahaha, if loving Lethality, out of all idiots, is already starting to figure it out (not that he will ever stop giving them money) then they are doomed.

He should be more positive imo

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Now the faithful will start explaining to him how he doesn't understand game development, its alpha, if he wasn't prepared for the risk he shouldn't have backed, etc.

I predict Lethality will be on the refund sub within the week and a goon within 2.

Time for a Lethality check!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

trucutru posted:

Nah, he still believes a game is coming out. He just thinks CIG is disrespectful and has a bad attitude.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lethality is going to Citizencon, so he isn't that jaded.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Object Container Streaming
Procedural Pipelines
Inner Thoughts
Server Meshing
Belt Funding
Early Days
Tier Zero Implementation
Cloud Computing
Never-Been-Done Design
Lore Updates
Dialing in Gameplay

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

There's no release date... anywhere.

I checked :negative:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thoatse posted:

*there is no ocs, only paying

Existence is paying

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Agony Aunt posted:

Now the faithful will start explaining to him how he doesn't understand game development, its alpha, if he wasn't prepared for the risk he shouldn't have backed, etc.

I predict Lethality will be on the refund sub within the week and a goon within 2.

Time for a Lethality check!

Nah, Lethality knows how to hang in there for the long haul. Until a project has completely died, then he’ll detach himself and search for his next host while commenting how he appreciated what they were trying to achieve.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
I never gave money to Chris Roberts because I'm a coward. My knees knock together when I think about crowdfunding. I wake up sweaty with stretch goals fresh in my mind. When I die I will go out a pitiful wretch full of regrets unlike Lethality who courageously got ripped off over and over again. I only criticize Star Citizen to disguise the shame of this. Feels good to get that off my chest.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
I helped fund Broken Age, and it was mediocre.

Because I didn't learn my lesson, I helped fund Psychonauts 2.

According to the citizens' law of funding, Psychonauts 2 should be the BDTSGE (Best drat Tim Schaefer Game Ever).

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

BluesShaman posted:

According to the citizens' law of funding, Psychonauts 2 should be the BDTSGE (Best drat Tim Schaefer Game Ever).

I can't believe people actually gave that rear end in a top hat money, after he already hosed over backers on two kickstarted games.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

BluesShaman posted:

I constantly forget Psychonauts 2 is a thing that is apparently being attempted (is it? I constantly forget, you know), but I'll never forget that Tim Schaefer was the original "Got way more money than he asked for, still had to slash the project into two pieces to deliver it" fail-dev. The proto-Chris Roberts in almost every way.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Hobold posted:

I can't believe people actually gave that rear end in a top hat money, after he already hosed over backers on two kickstarted games.

two?

I received a copy of Broken Age. I was not hosed over. It wasn't a great game, but it was a finished game that I played.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

BluesShaman posted:

two?

I received a copy of Broken Age. I was not hosed over. It wasn't a great game, but it was a finished game that I played.

Its you. You are the Citizen.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

BluesShaman posted:

two?

Spacebase DF-9, hit a point where they decided, "This isn't selling enough EA copies anymore, so gently caress you, we're not dev'ing this anymore. Here's 1.0, we're out."

Broken Age also hit a point where they released it, literally half finished, and declared they needed more funding for the second half. Which finally came out a year or so later.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Stop... owning me...

:smith:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

BluesShaman posted:

Stop... owning me...

:smith:

Do you have the $20 owning protection package? :colbert:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I hope more people can wrap their minds around this too, even here, that the state of the game itself is entirely an optional thing CIG does while pumping out massive quantities of art assets that sell.

They already sold the game to almost anybody who will buy it at this point. They have already gone on record legally as saying it's the complete product. It's continued manufacture is entirely non obligatory at this point.

All these buzz words get thrown around for the game to make everything seem hard, and then forgotten, with new buzzwords to replace them; while also taking the win for the last buzzword and assuring everybody everything is ok.

The whole reason for that, seemingly kicking the can down the road, is to continue to sell multi-hundred to thousand plus dollar art assets.

People may joke about it but it's true that the game is the store. Buy stuff. But things. Buy dreams. Eventually you'll get your wish, or so many years later you won't care anymore because that money is so far out of your mind now you don't need it currently.

The best part of CIG marketing is how they always, always make it appear like something ground breaking is about to happen or is happening. How CIG is doing things no other development group could ever or dared to ever do. They have a strangle hold on their corporate narrative because it's all they have.

They're a apparent video game company that has offices spanning the globe, and are marching towards being a decade old, and never made a product yet, but have legally claimed they have. Gamers and their supporters utterly refuse this because "the Dream!!!" but the game is already out. It's been released now for I think nearly 8 months.

So with all that... where are we? We're in art asset hell! It rains expensive assets on a monthly basis! A lot of people can't comprehend that a poo poo game has such good looking graphics (albeit starting to show some age these days). It looks phenomenal in staged screenshots. It looks great so it must play great or at least passably.

And really, CIG came in at a perfect time when steam is in full swing and most people probably have hundreds of steam games, many of which they just buy and have virtually no intention of ever playing, or sinking more than 15 minutes in to.

Why not buy Star Citizen too? I'm just a "game collector" and I don't care. It's the perfect combination.

So from a marketing standpoint, you look at:

Arena shooter ptu: plays like poo poo, hurts our image when people actually play it

Mmo: can't get the arena shooter working, no point sinking money into this item, we lack the talent to make it. Kick the arena shooter down the road, nobody will care it's not an mmo

Star marine: rudimentary poo poo FPS game barely on par with most poo poo on steam these days for less money

Racing: nobody loving cares, it just makes the game sound like it has tons of features and depth and we can sell stuff for it

Social module: like racing, except we can leverage it as the mmo side

Hangar module: make it a pretty model viewer, slightly important

Arena commander: nobody cares about this

Putting it all together into a cohesive complete item: :lol::lol:

The magical mystery ingredient to being an art asset company dedicated to making videos and 3D models and turning a profit on them is to make it appear ground breaking and cutting edge at all times.

So we all laugh at the money they blow on actors but they also make more because those actors make things seem cool. The assets are so good looking. There's soooo maaaany different game pieces and parts and things they can always appear to make progress somewhere.

Everything added to the game has a purpose of being something to make money on. Planets were a given when they tipped their hand waaay too early and sold land claims, and all the silly logic behind them. Don't worry because those will come back! There will probably be a dedicated "planet exploration module" in the near future dedicated just to working this and other FPS and apartment technology out.

Flood the radio waves with the progress your auxiliary programmer team makes in little bits of nearly useless progress, make it sound grandiose, and flood it with a metric ton of A+ art assets you can buy to use in these things, and voila. You done built a game studio able to successfully function with next to zero progress while turning huge profits from art assets.

So yeah, Chris "Make that pixel green!" Roberts has found his niche of being able to play director and art monger, while not having to worry much about the stupid video game part.

It's a game of confusion, the ball under the shell game, where there is actually a ball under all the shells and you're fooled into believing you're a constant winner, and a huge amount of controlling the narrative.

The general public is catching on, but at this point it doesn't even matter anymore. This poo poo has been happening for almost a decade now. The creators likely barely care anymore outside of cashing in and playing with movies and the things they want to do. This, again, took place very obviously around two years ago very much following the Beer4TheBeerGod episodes.

CIG realized, seemingly overnight, that they didnt have to make a video game to be massively profitable. We very quickly saw a change in their marketing to be very hostile and uncaring approaches to handling things. It became "we're just going to sell this, if you bitch gently caress yourself, and we're also going to ignore everything unless it hurts our margin of income".

So game questions went to poo poo, everything became a focus on the current art asset being sold. The two-way communication CIG was engaged in to keep people interested virtually vanished within a week, and art asset after art asset after sales became the norm for the company ever since.

Also in the last 500 years the fourth stimpire selected bitches to shock to death with electricity and art assets that tripled every second...

:hmmyes:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Tim Shafer - deliverer of multiple games in the 21st century - doesn't belong in the same class as Crobbler who hasn't shipped a game in ~20years.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

have we covered how stupid a name Lorville is. And Microtech, Hurston, Daymar, Delamar

why are they all so terrible? I don't know how Chris does it

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Why is Titanic's bow missing the left side of the railing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

BluesShaman posted:

Tim Shafer - deliverer of multiple games in the 21st century - doesn't belong in the same class as Crobbler who hasn't shipped a game in ~20years.

Nah, definitely not.

But he does belong with Peter Molyneux in terms of questionable, over promising, over hyped, game development.