Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FFT posted:

what the gently caress is this

It's not Loss so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DontMockMySmock posted:

I think Spore was the last time I have ever or will ever believe that something will be great ahead of time. That game turned me into a pessimist. Something amazing was there in the footage from e3 or whatever it was, if only it could be cultivated and nurtured. Then like 2 years later an incredibly bland pice of poo poo rolled out of EA's rear end in a top hat. And on that day, my inner child died.

Thanks for the memories, meme.

Pretty sure the footage you're thinking of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA

Yeah, it was pretty great. I watched that so many times and each time felt I was seeing something special, unlike anything anyone had ever done before.

When everything was still "procedurally generated" and the creatures used "procedural verbs" to interact with their environment (and we still believed that buzzword meant something), that tech demo they played just blew my mind.

Even the video where they got Robin Williams to mess around in the creature creature for a bit was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk&t=31s

Then they released that bland trash :sigh:

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 09:57 on Sep 15, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, it was pretty great. I watched that so many times and each time felt I was seeing something special, unlike anything anyone had ever done before.

When everything was still "procedurally generated" and the creatures used "procedural verbs" to interact with their environment (and we still believed that buzzword meant something), that tech demo they played just blew my mind.

Even the video where they got Robin Williams to mess around in the creature creature for a bit was incredible.

How bad was it? I never heard about the Spore thingy until long after it had been released.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It was an extremely bad game

I was never hyped up for it like the rest of the internet back in the day but even with no hype the game was just complete trash. I think the only part of it I mildly enjoyed was the amoeba stage where you just mindlessly chase green orbs to grow while avoiding predator amoebas or whatever. The rest of the game is so bad it's hard to even describe. It was just SO BORING

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Randaconda posted:

How bad was it? I never heard about the Spore thingy until long after it had been released.

It was basically five half-assed games you'd play sequentially. A sidescroller where you'd play as a cell eating plankton or smaller cells to grow bigger, a platformer where you'd eat fruit or smaller creatures to grow more advanced, an RTS where you'd unite the local tribes with your warbands/dancing, a different RTS where you'd conquer the world with your military or money/religion trucks and then a space 4X that had some kind of endgoal I never figured out, because the galaxy turned out to be both big and boring. The creature creator was pretty neat and it was cool that you could create some kind of 9-legged, 1-armed monstrosity and the engine would mostly make it walk and act reasonably, but all the other customization elements were pretty barebones.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat it, EA

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Add Populous: The Beginning fans, all three of us who remember the servers being shut down in 2002

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Zzulu posted:

It was an extremely bad game

I was never hyped up for it like the rest of the internet back in the day but even with no hype the game was just complete trash. I think the only part of it I mildly enjoyed was the amoeba stage where you just mindlessly chase green orbs to grow while avoiding predator amoebas or whatever. The rest of the game is so bad it's hard to even describe. It was just SO BORING

There's a pretty good Monster Factory about it on youtube though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It was basically five half-assed games you'd play sequentially. A sidescroller where you'd play as a cell eating plankton or smaller cells to grow bigger, a platformer where you'd eat fruit or smaller creatures to grow more advanced, an RTS where you'd unite the local tribes with your warbands/dancing, a different RTS where you'd conquer the world with your military or money/religion trucks and then a space 4X that had some kind of endgoal I never figured out, because the galaxy turned out to be both big and boring. The creature creator was pretty neat and it was cool that you could create some kind of 9-legged, 1-armed monstrosity and the engine would mostly make it walk and act reasonably, but all the other customization elements were pretty barebones.

I’m pretty sure the first thing goons did with the creature creator was make a walking Nazi symbol then a dickbutt.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't part of the problem was the developers promising a bunch of poo poo that didn't end up in the game?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yes

Also that the game they delivered was relentessly boring

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Yes

Also that the game they delivered was relentessly boring

Yeah it was like four separate games tied loosely together in the same engine (making it extremely buggy) each with about the depth of one of those early 2000s Newgrounds flash games.

It was ambitious but failed totally

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't part of the problem was the developers promising a bunch of poo poo that didn't end up in the game?

What they promised was that you could build your own procedurally generated species. Like, making the arms longer would give advantages for species which evolved to use spears. Shorter, thicker arms would be good for heavier weapons. The bodies had an underlying skeletal structure and modifying it took 'evolution points' but their in-game effects would be decided solely on how well you built your creature to interact with its world.

Infinite variation :allears:

What we got was "Claw type C, + 3 points damage" and it didn't matter where you put it. You could put it on the end of an arm, or stick it under their body, it would still do 3 points of damage. No more, no less.

The cities you built were also supposed to the on the same lines. You could literally spend hours designing the different types of buildings, painting them, adding decoration. Same with the vehicles.

But none of that altered their functions at all. And you spent the actual game zoomed so far out, all your buildings and vehicles were nothing more than dots.

Your choice of buildings was supposed to matter, too. In each city you could only have so many buildings. So you were supposed to try and balance economic, power, science, etc. But, because all the stats were locked in, it took about two days before the perfect min-max configuration was worked out and you just put that in every city.

What we were promised was a game where everything mattered. What we got was a game where it was all window dressing, no subtlety and, in the end, no point.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Sep 15, 2018

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I don't know if it's just the way the light and shadow is working in that photo or the sculpture is badly made but that leg on the bench looks like it is coming out of the man's groin and there must be a second leg out of sight. Is it acutally a Jake the Peg statue?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Wh...where do your legs come out of??

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Pondex posted:

Some of the best monster factories in fact

There's three in the series and they're an excellent look at why spore sucked so much poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hH7vZF15SY

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some of the best monster factories in fact

There's three in the series and they're an excellent look at why spore sucked so much poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hH7vZF15SY

I always loving lose it at "... hey justin? When was auto-save invented?"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Godspeed you glorious moron :911:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Bloop posted:

Godspeed you glorious moron :911:

Is it really moronic if you know full god drat well that God, who is Lemmy, would never strike you down?

:rock::patriot:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
rise up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QZR0CNiUFI

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
those gang weed hooligans are loving up the school again

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Megillah Gorilla posted:

2008: Spore launches with all the features it promised and gamers revolt because it's not as fun as they imagined it would be. Will Wright goes into hiding after a gamer fatwah is issued on him and Maxis is eventually quietly shut down
2018: No Man's Sky is hailed as a triumph because two years after launching at $60, missing most of the features the creator actively lied about on national television and online until after launch, and selling millions of copies they made a big show of finally patching some of those missing features into the game. Hello Games is showered in accolades for having the bravery to stand up to Gamer Entitlement and its wealthy Australian gold mine heir and founder Sean Murray is hailed as an indie darling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

2008: bad game released, is called bad
2018: bad game released, is called bad, is improved, is called good

yeah wow that’s some crazy fucken poo poo there

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Guy Mann posted:

2008: Spore launches with all the features it promised and gamers revolt because it's not as fun as they imagined it would be. Will Wright goes into hiding after a gamer fatwah is issued on him and Maxis is eventually quietly shut down
2018: No Man's Sky is hailed as a triumph because two years after launching at $60, missing most of the features the creator actively lied about on national television and online until after launch, and selling millions of copies they made a big show of finally patching some of those missing features into the game. Hello Games is showered in accolades for having the bravery to stand up to Gamer Entitlement and its wealthy Australian gold mine heir and founder Sean Murray is hailed as an indie darling.

I’m sorry someone said a game you like was bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hah, yeah, NMS was really "lauded" when it got its big patch.

More like interest raised enough for players to jump back in for 3 hours, game is forgotten again within a week.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Guy makes game better for free, no dlc scam, no additional charges, is Satan.

Anyways, back to playing Destiny.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

Sir this is a Wendy's drive thru

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love gang weed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Christ alive

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Guy Mann posted:

Christ on a bike do you ever just...not?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pondex posted:

I'm so loving sad they don't do carboys anymore. To hell with all the drama, I want my free internet lols.