Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

You ever see Scrubs or Its Always Sunny?

E: Yup, Travis Schuldt https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0005402/

Oh yeah, the dudemeister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah, the dudemeister.

He'll always be the first Ethan Crane from Passions to me...

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Ben the Soldier!

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Was a pretty good first episode.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Pinwiz11 posted:

He'll always be the first Ethan Crane from Passions to me...

OMG. Someone else watched Passions. 🔥

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That first episode felt kinda boring.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Doltos posted:

That first episode felt kinda boring.

I mean the world ended in the first 15 minutes of the episode, I'm not sure how much more of a bang it could have started with.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TOOT BOOT posted:

I mean the world ended in the first 15 minutes of the episode, I'm not sure how much more of a bang it could have started with.

Too many bangs. World ended, big nukes, scary place, people getting shot in the head as they enter, obvious set up of a dude to get shot, getting fed someone right away, already a flash forward, and now the games afoot to see who gets to survive to the next shelter (it's going to the main actors).

I'm not sure what's going to be that clever about this season, or shocking for that matter since they already crammed so much shock value into one episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be like Asylum, where several crazy/ridiculous things happen per episode and it's great!!

Probably not tho. But I'm looking forward to seeing wtf they have in store this year.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so is it actually good? I dont want this to become another freakshow

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Tired Moritz posted:

It's the first episode of a Ryan Murphy show, it's quality will have absolutely no bearing on if the rest of it is good.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Tired Moritz posted:

Every season starts off promising. It's only been 1 episode, we'll find out by the halfway mark if it's good or trash.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
OHHHHH. It's The Handmaid's Tale. Religious institution, dystopian rules, class hierarchy based on women's clothing, sexual repression. It's a campy Handmaiden's Tale.

Doltos posted:

Too many bangs. World ended, big nukes, scary place, people getting shot in the head as they enter, obvious set up of a dude to get shot, getting fed someone right away, already a flash forward, and now the games afoot to see who gets to survive to the next shelter (it's going to the main actors).

Wouldn't put it past them to have their regulars bow out early, or to have them get killed and then turn up as a different character later on, particularly with the precedent established by the last few seasons. Didn't Cheyenne Jackson die about five episodes into last season? And I think maybe four characters made it past Roanoke's seventh instalment.

Theory: the best seasons of AHS are the ones that are most trigger happy (Cult, Roanoke, Asylum). The worst are actively adverse to death (Coven, Hotel).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

OHHHHH. It's The Handmaid's Tale. Religious institution, dystopian rules, class hierarchy based on women's clothing, sexual repression. It's a campy Handmaiden's Tale.

I also got a Vault-tec experiment vibe from it, like Sarah Paulson is a weird gay Overseer. But then it turned out she was going rogue lol

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

esperterra posted:

I also got a Vault-tec experiment vibe from it, like Sarah Paulson is a weird gay Overseer. But then it turned out she was going rogue lol

That’s a good comparison, and it’s fun because I think it actually remains to be seen just exactly how rouge she was going and in what ways. It doesn’t look like she cooked up the entire conceit for the system; it probably always looked like a creepy house stocked with a bunch of fancy purple outfits for instance. Also the new guy was dressed similarly fancy to Ms. Venerable with a similar flair for the dramatic. Definitely curious to see how he reacts to learning about various goings-on so far.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

timp posted:

That’s a good comparison, and it’s fun because I think it actually remains to be seen just exactly how rouge she was going and in what ways. It doesn’t look like she cooked up the entire conceit for the system; it probably always looked like a creepy house stocked with a bunch of fancy purple outfits for instance. Also the new guy was dressed similarly fancy to Ms. Venerable with a similar flair for the dramatic. Definitely curious to see how he reacts to learning about various goings-on so far.

The purple/gray thing has to be from the Cooperative because the Overseer and HBIC both acted like they were breaking a mortal taboo by putting on purple outfits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah the ye olde timey poo poo is def part of the system. But her and Bates loving with the guests seems to be their own deal.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, given it’s a enclosed system apocalypse story, you have to assume either; they’re lying about how bad the food situation is or they’re lying about how bad the world outside it. Probably both.

Actually, I know I’m slow on the uptake on this but this is AHS: Young Adult Novel isn’t it?

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 15, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wouldn't put it past them to have their regulars bow out early, or to have them get killed and then turn up as a different character later on, particularly with the precedent established by the last few seasons. Didn't Cheyenne Jackson die about five episodes into last season? And I think maybe four characters made it past Roanoke's seventh instalment.

Theory: the best seasons of AHS are the ones that are most trigger happy (Cult, Roanoke, Asylum). The worst are actively adverse to death (Coven, Hotel).

It'll be some Handmaids/1950s nuke society mash up I think.

I predict round chin blonde girl will go out early or Billy Lourd. Also ya Cheyenne Jackson will probably get offed early too. I wonder how long Liza Minelli's corpse will last.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Gotta say I’ve been looking forward to this since last week. Let’s go!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
For my next trick: remember the snakes we chopped up earlier...? :science:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Gay sex in my AHS? Why I never!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pinwiz11 posted:

Gay sex in my AHS? Why I never!

Self-Gay...doesn't count. :eng101:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Self-Gay...doesn't count. :eng101:

Very true, we'll see if the mask comes off tonight.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
I have the feeling that this isn't the last gay sex scene we'll have this season. But it wouldn't be AHS without it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DocBubonic posted:

I have the feeling that this isn't the last gay sex scene we'll have this season. But it wouldn't be AHS without it.

The real reason why Coven was a bad season.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:tviv:

WHHHAAAAAAT THE gently caress?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

QUE?!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Bishop! :psylon:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
ALIEN

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Doltos posted:

I'm not sure what's going to be that clever about this season, or shocking for that matter since they already crammed so much shock value into one episode.

So that ending. I'd say that's a bit of a bang. Wasn't expecting that.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Oh AHS, why did I ever doubt you... :glomp:

(oh, there are plenty of reasons to doubt the show but that's some A+ cliffhanger so I don't mind no witches yet)

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

Oh AHS, why did I ever doubt you... :glomp:

(oh, there are plenty of reasons to doubt the show but that's some A+ cliffhanger so I don't mind no witches yet)

I think the show having "Gold Dust Woman" playing might be a sign that witches are going to show up soon.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm excited to see where this is headed, did not see that twist coming

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not just a doom bunker, not just a haunted doom bunker, but a haunted doom bunker with secret robots :allears:

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm wondering if it's actually that bad outside or if just major cities were destroyed and everything else is pretty much OK and there's vampires or satantic robots hunting for sport

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
Hahaha, yes! AHS is fun again.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Thus far I'm really liking it and can't wait to see where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So far so good.