Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

tater_salad posted:

Where'd you get that for $15. I'm paying $20 for 2 racks of ribs.

It's only 1 rack with all the cartilagey parts and flaps included. The Mexican grocery store close by sells pretty much intact ribs for 3$ a pound. 20$ for trimmed/clean racks seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Chickens just went on:

E: I realize the coals are doing gently caress all for the beer under the chickens at that level. It's not my grill and I didn't measure first, so they were too tall to go on the racks. Ah well.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 3, 2018

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm thinking of buying an xl Big GreenEgg. Is it an over-priced gadget for rich suckers, or is it really good ?

I've been using a weber, 21.5". I do a lot of grilling so the extra space would be useful. I'm just concerned about the price + all of extra accessories.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any upcoming sales on pit barrel cookers, or if I should even bother waiting for one?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

That peach butcher paper is no joke! I'll never use foil again.

16 pound brisket. Took 14 hours on my WSM.

Looks great! Yeah, after using the butcher paper I'm not sure I'll ever go back to foil. Great for putting salmon fillets on too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jan posted:

It's only 1 rack with all the cartilagey parts and flaps included. The Mexican grocery store close by sells pretty much intact ribs for 3$ a pound. 20$ for trimmed/clean racks seems reasonable.

I got 3 racks of baby backs from costco for $26 last time.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm thinking of buying an xl Big GreenEgg. Is it an over-priced gadget for rich suckers, or is it really good ?

I've been using a weber, 21.5". I do a lot of grilling so the extra space would be useful. I'm just concerned about the price + all of extra accessories.

XL bges seem like a hell of a lot of money just to get for a larger cook area imo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sorry no pics folks, maybe tomorrow for the leftovers..

I did 3/2/1 ribs for the second time. This time I modified the times a little.

3 @ 225
1.5 @ 225 w/ BBQ sauce and then a little bit of apple juice in the foil.
.5 @ 275

Turned out really good.. no real bark, but were def not as dry as when I did 3/2/1

did 4 full racks, had 6 adults over and still have like 1-2 racks left everyone ate a quarter rack of ribs kuz there was lots of other stuff to eat so now I have some lunches for the next few days.

Happy Labor day America.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Yes.

Also, that is a shitload of money for what amounts to about 20% more grill surface. If you actively want to smoke meat too, then the BGE is great. If all you care about is more grilling area, unless you are a literal millionaire, that's not a great value proposition.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I would definitely get an XL size kamado otherwise the grill diameter is less than a $100 Weber kettle. Check out the Kamado Joe or Vision Grills as well.

Doom Rooster posted:

Also, that is a shitload of money for what amounts to about 20% more grill surface

The area difference is like 250 vs 450 square inches, not twenty percent.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Hed posted:

The area difference is like 250 vs 450 square inches, not twenty percent.

The primary cooking surface of the weber 22 (never heard of the 21.5 he listed, but the .5 won't make a huge difference) is 363sq. in. The XL BGE is 452. That's 24% bigger.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Fozzy The Bear posted:

You could just pull a Gitmo and ask for advice; receive sound advice; do the complete opposite.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really like my large BGE, for grilling and smoking/roasting alike, but I haven’t been tempted to trade up. For smoking and such there’s a fair bit of vertical room between the platesetter and dome that lets me fit a fair bit inside.

I did beef short ribs for the first time last night. Turned out ok!

Maybe should have left them whole to keep moister? Not sure.

Split them and then just salt/pepper/garlic powder.

No in-action pic, it seems? Shameful.

They came pretty far back off the bone by the time they hit 205F, mostly at 225F. They ran about 8 hours.

Texture was good but a little dry near the outside. Not sure how to attack that problem.

We didn’t have enough potatoes, really.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Nationalize amazingribs, can’t let this resource die

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Maybe should have left them whole to keep moister? Not sure.

You want them in pairs at the least because of what you experienced. If they're too dry then throw em in beans or braise them.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doom Rooster posted:

The primary cooking surface of the weber 22 (never heard of the 21.5 he listed, but the .5 won't make a huge difference) is 363sq. in. The XL BGE is 452. That's 24% bigger.

Ahh I see and misread what the comparison was to. Thanks

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:siren: Watermelon acquired :siren:

Stay tuned in the next few days.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Babby's first smoke is tomorrow morning! :woop::woop:

I got an ECB at a yard sale, and with a friend's help did these mods to it:

https://www.smoking-meat.com/modify-brinkmann-ecb-smoker

Basically,
- Added a proper thermometer, though I do have a probe one as well
- Drilled holes in the charcoal pan, also got an 8" grate for it
- Drilled holes in the lid and added this venting damper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ

Picked up a 3.8lb pork shoulder/butt. Am I correct in what I'm reading at Meathead's website? Salt it tonight, then add the rub tomorrow before putting it in the smoker?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Basically,
- Drilled holes in the lid and added this venting damper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00820VEOQ

Picked up a 3.8lb pork shoulder/butt. Am I correct in what I'm reading at Meathead's website? Salt it tonight, then add the rub tomorrow before putting it in the smoker?
Yeah, you want to give the dry brine time to penetrate towards the center of the meat. You can add the rub tonight, but if you do that it will remove your ability to pat the meat dry before you put it on the smoker. A moist surface will hamper your bark formation, if this is something you care about, but surface moisture does let you pick up a little more smoke.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Crap, I just finished putting on the rub (then vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge). Wish I had seen this before, but oh well. All part of the learning experience. I would like a nice crunchy bark, but I'll remember that for my second attempt. Cheers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Basically,

hey welcome to the world of smoking.. that ECB will eat a lot of charcoal, it's a great starter but you better have a full bag or 2 ready to go.. keep an eye on those temps, hopefully you have yourself a thermometer.

It was my starter smoker as well. Works great as a small grill too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! I have most of a huge bag of charcoal, as well as a regular size bag. I can always run out and grab more if needed.

And yes, I "- Added a proper thermometer, though I do have a probe one as well"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Crap, I just finished putting on the rub (then vacuum sealed it and put it in the fridge). Wish I had seen this before, but oh well. All part of the learning experience. I would like a nice crunchy bark, but I'll remember that for my second attempt. Cheers.
In a pinch, you could use a little desk fan on a low setting to blow air across the meat for 20-30 minutes to dry it out before you put it in the smoker. Do it outside so you don't blow little particles of dry rub everywhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A brisket (tip,) in three parts:

The beginnining

The middling

Fin

Notes: First brisket ever, it was a very small (3.1lbs) tip portion, with not enough fat. Heat was probably a touch high for the smoke, and because it was done so much sooner than expected, I had to hold it for four hours before serving, meaning that most of the moisture that survived the smoke departed the brisket forthwith. Still delicious, but not perfect. Next time.

Question for the thread: I used the same dry rub I've used before on pork which is generally awesome, but on this brisket it comes across SUPER salty. Could that be from holding the meat, or because I rubbed it the night before?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrYenko posted:

I had to hold it for four hours before serving

This is my big fear about doing brisket for a party or something. The time range seems so wide that I’d have to risk hours early to be sure it wasn’t hours late. Surely someone has solved this, but I see these “10-15 hours” ranges, especially with larger ones.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

This is my big fear about doing brisket for a party or something. The time range seems so wide that I’d have to risk hours early to be sure it wasn’t hours late. Surely someone has solved this, but I see these “10-15 hours” ranges, especially with larger ones.

Ya, I was afraid of the same thing, and had the cow on the fire at 0615. It was done at 1430, soooooooooo. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Probably will still be fine if you don't crutch it. With a butt that small I don't think you'll need to anyway. GL

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So it went on about 20 minutes ago. I lit a chimney of Kingsford briquettes, and waited until they went from black until halfway grey. Dumped them in the charcoal pan and waited to see what temp the smoker would get up to. It got up to around 280, and I realized I hadn't put water in the water pan so I did that.

After it got down to the 220-240 range I put the meat on the top grill, and added 3 hickory wood chunks. I'm opened the door on the smoker open to vent the heat, it hit 300 with it closed but around 285-290 with it open

Just had a brilliant idea, used tongs and removed one of the flaming wood chunks and set it in the Weber chimney. Sitting on 250 now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

4.5 hours later I'm only at 150. Should I be worried? I was hoping to be done 4 hours from now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

4.5 hours later I'm only at 150. Should I be worried? I was hoping to be done 4 hours from now.

It's 1-1.5 hours per pound so that seems fine.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone have experience using a brick smoker?

Ive been smoking using a 22" Weber for about two years now and need something with more space. Originally I planned to purchase a WSM but we live on a decent sized lot of land and I have a family member with some experience laying brick who would probably be willing to help out so Im confident I would end up with something that looked at least passable. Id also really like something that can smoke a whole hog. So a custom built brick smoker seems like it would be a good option. Im just curious if there are any pitfalls of using them I should be aware of or design considerations that stuff like the Wilbur D Hog might not take into account.

Aeneas
Jun 27, 2005

Historia est vitae magistra
Some Lowe's stores have MES 30" Bluetooth version for $120. You can also find $20 off $100 coupons online.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Not sure where this belongs but I figured this is a decent spot for fire cookin'

I made a bunch of goat chorizo. Deboning the misc. goat chunks I got at the halal market down the road was tricky (lots of tiny bits), but it's tasty and has a good texture. I stuck pretty closely to Hank Shaw's recipe except for the chili blend. I should add that it's actually only 2/3s goat, it's supplemented with pork belly for fat and to make up or the slight goat meat shortfall I had after I'd gotten everything deboned.

Slapped it on a hot griddle and made some too-round huaraches, because I had a tortilla press handy and it's slightly easier than hand shaping things

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've made a few pork chorizos before but I think the goat meat works a little bit better with that particular spice blend.

The day after that, I hung a lamb leg for a family get together at the lake:

It finished pretty nice even though it rained a few times and I only had enough wood to do an offset fire instead of coals around the outside, so I had to hang out and keep it spinning whilst also getting shitfaced. I finished it horizontally on a grate to get a little more heat on the top side. Served with onions and sweet potatoes, which are easy as hell when you can just throw them right on some coals and go ahead and let them get fairly burnt. No "after" picture because stuff got pretty chaotic what with the cutting and getting the veggies ready, but this is probably the first thing I've cooked where I was really happy with the doneness throughout.

nominal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 11, 2018

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

CoffeeBooze posted:

Anyone have experience using a brick smoker?

Thermal mass is your problem. As in getting it up to temperature will require a huge amount of wood/energy. Then keeping it warm evenly, so maybe look into insulation. basically you'll be building a brick oven, so check into that for build information.

so great if you're doing a whole hog, but will suck if you want to do a couple of racks of ribs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nominal posted:

Not sure where this belongs but I figured this is a decent spot for fire cookin'

I made a bunch of goat chorizo. Deboning the misc. goat chunks I got at the halal market down the road was tricky (lots of tiny bits), but it's tasty and has a good texture. I stuck pretty closely to Hank Shaw's recipe except for the chili blend. I should add that it's actually only 2/3s goat, it's supplemented with pork belly for fat and to make up or the slight goat meat shortfall I had after I'd gotten everything deboned.

Slapped it on a hot griddle and made some too-round huaraches, because I had a tortilla press handy and it's slightly easier than hand shaping things

All in all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I've made a few pork chorizos before but I think the goat meat works a little bit better with that particular spice blend.

The day after that, I hung a lamb leg for a family get together at the lake:

It finished pretty nice even though it rained a few times and I only had enough wood to do an offset fire instead of coals around the outside, so I had to hang out and keep it spinning whilst also getting shitfaced. I finished it horizontally on a grate to get a little more heat on the top side. Served with onions and sweet potatoes, which are easy as hell when you can just throw them right on some coals and go ahead and let them get fairly burnt. No "after" picture because stuff got pretty chaotic what with the cutting and getting the veggies ready, but this is probably the first thing I've cooked where I was really happy with the doneness throughout.

This is all drat impressive.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Akorn Jr. Kamado Kooker $109 Shipped - from Amazon

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Smith’s had pork rear end at .99/lb. Wife bought about 20 pounds worth and froze it all. She did however also get me some 3 pounds of thinly sliced round that I made some decent jerky with. Sometimes it is OK to make something that takes less than a dozen or more hours.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Instead of the Big Green Egg XL, Costco decided to put a kamado grill on sale. Got the Pit Boss BBQ Grill for $650 with a ton of accessories. Sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So I recently acquired a WSM after years of consideration because I'm an idiot who can't ever get decided on anything. And I've tested it once a few weeks back making smoked salmon, and that was good. Now that I'm free again this weekend, I want to try something a step above in difficulty, so I'm hesitating between either a pork shoulder or a brisket. Probably brisket. So what's a good GWS-approved idiot-proof recipe for a first brisket smoke?